Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen's Latest Monthly Report Outlines Strides Made in January 2021 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Citizen's Latest Monthly Report Outlines Strides Made in January 2021 | MMORPG.com

In the latest Star Citizen Monthly Report from Cloud Imperium Games, the team outlines a long laundry list of features that they've worked on. The list includes many of the game's important features from narrative progress to engine improvements.

Read the full story here

WalkinGlenn

Comments

• BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Another game that I feel will never be released
    bwwianakievZenJelly
  • justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Same reports of "progress." Show me a finished product. Almost a decade after the kick starter and they haven't even finished the single player game. They just keep releasing new concept art for virtual ships that aren't even in game yet that whales keep lapping up like a cat laps up milk.
    GdemamibwwianakievBabuinixZenJelly
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    There's a LOT of fluff in the report but here is one thing that stuck out:

Most notably, the new year saw a reorganization of the AI teams into a more efficient structure to encourage knowledge sharing and a more holistic approach to prioritizing tasks and goals.

I hope the previous AI lead was fired if it took them this long to find such major organizational problems.

This report is in no way detailed.  This means it's impossible to gauge productivity or their ability to keep to previous time estimates.  It generally states what was completed or started but the completed items don't really give you any idea of whether or not they were delivered early, on time or late based on their best estimates.

This project can't be analyzed on a monthly basis, especially not with shallow reports like these.  You simply need to look at it yearly and even then the progress is in no way encouraging.  Don't be fooled by a report filled with bullet items that look like each was written by the department head who's trying to make their department look as good as possible. 

We really need a full independent audit of the development as a whole to get any clue as to the real status of teh games and studio.

You can damn well be sure that only a priviliged few have any real idea on the state of SQ42 and SC.

This project actually feels a LOT like how George Martin updates people on The Winds of Winter which he already had chapters finished for in 2010.  He tells people how much he's written, but never tells them how much of what he previously wrote was scrapped.  He regularly scraps what he wrote and starts over on entire chapters. 

GdemamibwwianakievMendelBabuinixZenJelly
  • Badmethod68Badmethod68 Newbie CommonPosts: 2

Same reports of "progress." Show me a finished product. Almost a decade after the kick starter and they haven't even finished the single player game. They just keep releasing new concept art for virtual ships that aren't even in game yet that whales keep lapping up like a cat laps up milk.

^^This unfortunately. Until people stop giving these idiots money it will never change. So sad.
    GdemamiViper482bwwianakievZenJelly
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I could never see spending 10K on a game even if it were finished and great to play.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]ZenJelly

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Blackboa said:

LOL. IT is already released in Alpha with up to 30.000 individual backers playing daily (100.000 during free events)... more than NMS + ED together :)
    KyleranGdemamietlarViper482rpmcmurphybwwianakievstrawhat0981TacticalZombehWalkinGlennmmolouand 3 others.
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

I could never see spending 10K on a game even if it were finished and great to play.

??? You can get the all MMO for 45$, including multi-hundreds $ ships with in game credits.

Do you now that game like CS-Go do have assets that cost +10K$'s ? A gun, not even a fleet of multi purposes ships playable with friends :)
    Viper482rpmcmurphybwwianakievmmolouZenJelly
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    JoeBlober said:

Blackboa said:

LOL. IT is already released in Alpha with up to 30.000 individual backers playing daily (100.000 during free events)... more than NMS + ED together :)

Alpha availability is not a release state. It is only a step on the path to that destination.
    KyleranViper482Agent_JosephZenJelly
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited February 2021

^^This unfortunately. Until people stop giving these idiots money it will never change. So sad.

Welcome to the forums! :)
    [Deleted User]
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Glad they are focusing more on the AI. The game is so close to being in a good spot but the AI has definitely been slow to progress. I remember reading about the cutting edge tech being used for AI and I still have high hopes it will be great.
    KyleranAgent_JosephZenJelly
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2021
    JoeBlober said:

Blackboa said:

Alpha is not "released," please stop being intentionally obtuse in your defenses, they are testing, not playing, absolutely no progression being retained at this point.

Besides, there's a lot of people doing things in this world which make absolutely no sense to a rational outside observer, especially in gaming, (watching eSports, cough, cough) so there really is no argument to be made based on the number of players who fell for this scam.

Viper482SandmanjwmmolouMendelAgent_JosephZenJelly

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    JoeBlober said:

Blackboa said:

"It is already released in Alpha"

Thats it...thats the tweet  :)
    You are correct, almost an instant meme... awesome
    [Deleted User]Agent_Joseph

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

JoeBlober said:

??? You can get the all MMO for 45$, including multi-hundreds $ ships with in game credits.

Do you now that game like CS-Go do have assets that cost +10K$'s ? A gun, not even a fleet of multi purposes ships playable with friends :)

Is Chris Roberts your daddy? I bet you have a sweet allowance with all that money he's stealing, no wonder you're defending him so much.
    bwwianakiev
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

JoeBlober said:

Blackboa said:

This is just so so incorrect Joe. You are comparing daily users to hourly concurrent users.

SMH
    ZenJellyGdemami
  • FlharfhFlharfh Member UncommonPosts: 24
    "By the end of this year, backers will have everything they originally pledged for, plus a lot more."

- Chris Roberts, March 2015
    Scotmmolou[Deleted User]Viper482Agent_JosephFrodoFraginsArglebargleZenJelly
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119

JoeBlober said:

People are too blind for facts. I've played 600 hours of SC and get far more enjoyment from it than I have with the hundreds of hours of ED. They're making progress, just not as fast as people want and some just refuse to look at progress. Those same people defend CDPR at every turn though.
    BabuinixmmolouViper482
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

JoeBlober said:

People are too blind for facts. I've played 600 hours of SC and get far more enjoyment from it than I have with the hundreds of hours of ED. They're making progress, just not as fast as people want and some just refuse to look at progress. Those same people defend CDPR at every turn though.

That's subjectivity though, not facts. There are people who have way more hours in Elite, or more in NMS or EVE Online. That does not mean they are blind for facts.
    mmolouGdemami
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Wargfoot said:
    Also, if I am not mistaken, the price for these items is determined by the market forces (i.e. supply vs demand), so they are not set and also the proceedings go to players, not the devs. Correct me if I am wrong as I havent followed recent developments in this game.

I don't understand supply vs. demand when it comes to buying virtual ships.
    There is no limit to how many instances of a particular ship could be generated.

There are only so many of each bit and byte used to make these ships. Each is a limited-number collector's piece.
    TacticalZombeh

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    "IT is already released in Alpha "

Their website makes it very clear that donating money does not include an expectation that you will receive a released game. They specifically say that your money is a donation, and will not be refunded if no game is actually produced.
    mmolouViper482Gdemami

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Wargfoot said:

Also, if I am not mistaken, the price for these items is determined by the market forces (i.e. supply vs demand), so they are not set and also the proceedings go to players, not the devs. Correct me if I am wrong as I havent followed recent developments in this game.

I don't understand supply vs. demand when it comes to buying virtual ships.
    There is no limit to how many instances of a particular ship could be generated.

There is a secondary market where already purchased ships can be resold to others. This supply is finite and prices are subject to negotiation if both parties are so inclined.

This is a permitted practice likely meant to reduce the risk that would otherwise be felt due to the extraordinarily high original purchase price of some of these packages.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited February 2021
    JoeBlober said:

Blackboa said:

False. Both Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky have more than twice as many playing as Star Citizen.

I'm comparing Star Citizen's playtime released by RSI here:
      https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17936-Letter-From-The-Chairman
    To playtime I've calculated based on Steamcharts data of Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky. Steamcharts only spots people playing through Steam, so this is a comparison of their Steam players vs. all players of Star Citizen.
    maskedweaselmmolou[Deleted User]Viper482Agent_Joseph[Deleted User]Gdemami

JoeBlober said:

People are aware that some enjoy SC a great deal and that progress has been made. That doesn't transform alpha availability into a release state.

While some detractors are overly critical and dismissive some supporters are inclined to the opposite in an equally extreme fashion.

I think many have the impression that the progress being made can't keep pace with the expanding vision for the game, putting release in jeopardy of perpetual delay. Perhaps Roberts would do well to curb his enthusiasm for awhile so those doing the work can catch up.
    botrytismmolou
  • coercer02coercer02 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    You guys do know that you can access the game for 45 bucks and dont have to spend anymore than that?
    BabuinixmmolouViper482
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    coercer02 said:
    You guys do know that you can access the game for 45 bucks and dont have to spend anymore than that?
    But why would I spend that on what is not even an alpha test? It is like paying to be in a blind test for a new pharmaceutical. It may not ever come out for sale but you spent 45 bucks for the privilege for testing it? Of course you are going to say it is the latest and greatest. After all, you have an invested interest in the game and that is not very objective.
    mmolouMendelWhiteLanternkitaradGdemami