Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's been almost 14 years since I joined MMORPG

slowbusslowbus Member UncommonPosts: 14
And I've only posted 13 times, including this one. I wish I was more active in this community -- unfortunately I lost my willpower after SWG had the CU patch, and Vanguard:SOH got sold to SOE, then repatched, both of which effectively ruined the game's mechanics.

I miss the sandbox :'(

So what is everyone playing these days? I can't find anything that scratches my SWG itch. Every darn game is on rails now! EVERY ONE! I tried SWTOR .. all rails, shiny waypoints, and glittering objectives. 

Crowfall and Pantheon look interesting, but I'm looking for that Rust-type of MMORPG where I am free to go anywhere and everywhere and do whatever I please. If there's a storyline, cool, but I'm looking more for that immersive community experience like the old cantinas where players gathered in SWG. 

I'm dope that was cut from the ki

AlBQuirkyKumaponArclan

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Close for me, too. I got here in 2004(?) when I was looking for something other than EQ1. I just typed into my browser "www.mmorpg.com" and arrived here. I learned about City of Heroes here and loved that MMORPG. I took a couple of years off here, recently returning to check up on any news. It looks pretty much the same: Action MMOs with very little "RPG" left in them, catering to players who don't even want to play MMOs ("Not enough time!", "I play only solo!", "I want to jump in, kill something, then jump back out.").

I'm not playing any MMOs right now. The old ones still running that I used to play have changed so much, they are very different games now. I'll load up maybe once or twice a year WoW, EQ and Wizard101 to check them out, but nothing new.

I backed "City of Titans" (a CoH "spiritual successor") on Kickstarter and that is moving along nicely for a group of amateurs learning the ropes. I catch Pantheon stuff here and there, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

I'm (we're(?)) just not the target audience anymore. They no longer create "open ended games", but instead are in love with "open-ended wallets." I can't blame them, really. I keep hoping for a crash and burn so that we can get developers/publishers back who want to make games that have what makes MMOs MMOs, maybe even get some RPG back in the games...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I hear wurm is a sandbox, old graphics, definitely not for everyone. EVE is always nice but it's a niche one. Good luck. I've pretty much stopped playing MMORPG's as nothing really does it for me. 

Cryomatrix
    AlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I joined in 2004 too whilst I was playing SWG, but I only really started posting here properly in the last few years. 

No playing any MMO at the moment, none of them meet my criteria. However, following Camelot Unchained closely as, at least on paper, it matches what I want from an MMO. Just have to wait and see if it can deliver. 
    AlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I hear Bless may be sandbox-like. But I can't confirm that. And it's not here yet. 
    waynejr2

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LillyByteLillyByte Member CommonPosts: 11
    I haven't found a MMO I like in ages; so, 247 days ago, I started the lifelong developer dream of building one. Graphics wise, it won't be great. But, it'll be mine. :) But, it's a process, to say the least... 247 days of development, and I'm only 'just' starting to add actual game features and graphics, because building a stable, reliable server shard from scratch took the bulk of my time.

Like you, I love the sandbox MMOs. But, they don't really seem to exist, per se. Every MMO I try these days, seems to be some variant of WoW or Rust. Not to knock those worlds, but they're not my type of games; I want something more like Ultima Online meets Rimworld meets Stardew Valley.

So, that's my goal. 
    AlBQuirkyCryomatrixArclan
  • slowbusslowbus Member UncommonPosts: 14
    *casts Bump of the Necro: Thread Resurrection [Lvl. 1337]*

Sup forums. I had to charge my mana for 3 years IRL before having enough power level to post again.  I felt like Goku summoning a Spirit Bomb during the Frieza saga.

I'm dope that was cut from the ki