Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Long Before We have Punk Chimps as Gold Sellers?

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
edited February 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

"Telsa boss Elon Musk said in an interview late Sunday that a monkey has been wired up to play video games with its mind by a company he founded called Neuralink. Neuralink put a computer chip into the monkey’s skull and used “tiny wires” to connect it to its brain, Musk said. “It’s not an unhappy monkey, you can’t even see where the neural implant was put in, except that he’s got a slight like dark mohawk.”

Well I thought I would strike a light note today but those chimps are on their way, maybe as MMO companions in those games that feel we need to have a toon mate, maybe they could be a chimp? Some MMO players I am sure will think they cannot be any worse than the "randos" we get in most MMOs and actually when I think back to BDO the other year they may be right. Alternatively they could play mobs, though I think we might get a good thrashing if they did.

How do you think Chimps could fit into MMO-land? 

UngoodAlBQuirkyIselinYashaX[Deleted User][Deleted User]

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I think Chimps controlling epic raid bosses would destroy players and show us all that we don't really want AI.

Equally so, this does look to be the starting steps of the Matrix.
    ScotiixviiiixAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Ungood said:
    I think Chimps controlling epic raid bosses would destroy players and show us all that we don't really want AI.

Or the beginning of a cyborg Planet of the Apes. :)
    UngoodWhiteLanternAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Scot said:
    Ungood said:

Or the beginning of a cyborg Planet of the Apes. :)
    Humanity will never die to something as badass as that, we are way to violent a species to out with a bang.
    LinifAlBQuirkyAsheram[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I think it could make a fun pvp mode. One human vs three apes or something. But then I wonder, would it be ethical to force them to play for our amusement?
    AlBQuirky
    edited February 2021
    finefluff said:
    I think it could make a fun pvp mode. One human vs three apes or something. But then I wonder, would it be ethical to force them to play for our amusement?
    Well if it is true they enjoy playing games and studies of primates for more serious purposes do show that, then I don't see a problem. But those games tend to involve a food reward, so it may well be just the food they enjoy.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited February 2021
    I watched a video I think he made last year about the neuralink and its benefits for people who are blind, paralysed and other kind of issues where signals have been cut off from the brain. If he can get this to work the benefits to those people are immense. What's a few  epic losses to chimps in the process.

Monkeys have been known to steal only valuable things in exchange for things they want from the tourist. So they are primed for games. In India thieves have monkeys that steal from tourists. Only thing is the monkey hasn't mastered language in terms of speech or they will be taking over board rooms and that would be an improvement.
    ScotUngoodAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Tells me Elon Musk has gone full mental.This would lead down a dark hole where some government would use animals for war maneuvers.Yeah i know it has already happened during the WW's ,we don't need to continue down the path of stupidity.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited February 2021
    Wizardry said:
    Tells me Elon Musk has gone full mental.This would lead down a dark hole where some government would use animals for war maneuvers.Yeah i know it has already happened during the WW's ,we don't need to continue down the path of stupidity.
    You should watch the video where his team explains the way the neuralink works. It's amazing technology and one we should be hoping succeeds. The pigs are very well treated see for yourself. In fact one of them even refuses to come into the pen they want and they never force it. Don't just spout nonsense.

Full video

UngoodAlBQuirkyAsheram[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    I watched a video I think he made last year about the neuralink and its benefits for people who are blind, paralysed and other kind of issues where signals have been cut off from the brain. If he can get this to work the benefits to those people are immense. What's a few  epic losses to chimps in the process.

LOL, getting our ass beat by an Epic Boss Chimp!

Anyway.. so what we are seeing is the beginnings of something like Geordi La Forge's Eye visor that lets him see.

Cool! 

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Scot said:
    finefluff said:
    Well if it is true they enjoy playing games and studies of primates for more serious purposes do show that, then I don't see a problem. But those games tend to involve a food reward, so it may well be just the food they enjoy.
    Mountain Dew and Doritos!!!
    ScotUngood[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Much like MMO's I cant tell if humans are evolving or devolving.

I thought we were all supposed to come from Chimps.  So now we are going to make games that even Chimps can play, nothing new about that I have been saying that for many years.  So if these Chimps played retail WoW I wonder if it will be too easy even for them?
    AlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I think chimps would be good for playing......chimps!

Let the chimps "roleplay" chimps within an mmorpg. Let them form their own tribes, defend their territory or whatever else chimps do in real life, and let them react to players when we enter their part of the game.

Sounds like good escapism for a chimp kept in captivity :-)

As for the neuralink stuff, that sort of shit terrifies me. I understand that bionic implants or replacements are pretty inevitable, but I also fear it's effects on human evolution and also the potential to "unbalance" society. Now, if it is limited to replacing broken things, fine (e.g. bionic eyes for a blind person), then not too bad. But, replacing something healthy with a superior bionic replacement /shudder.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    I think chimps would be good for playing......chimps!

Let the chimps "roleplay" chimps within an mmorpg. Let them form their own tribes, defend their territory or whatever else chimps do in real life, and let them react to players when we enter their part of the game.

Sounds like good escapism for a chimp kept in captivity :-)

As for the neuralink stuff, that sort of shit terrifies me. I understand that bionic implants or replacements are pretty inevitable, but I also fear it's effects on human evolution and also the potential to "unbalance" society. Now, if it is limited to replacing broken things, fine (e.g. bionic eyes for a blind person), then not too bad. But, replacing something healthy with a superior bionic replacement /shudder.
    I wager it will be the next VR step to a Matrix level system, where we will be able to exist in virtual worlds, fully immersed.

IIRC, someone was looking for that, and thought VR was crap because it could not provide it.

But anyway, this is some next gen cool stuff.
    AlBQuirky

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Musk is like the real world Arasaka.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Iselin said:
    Pardon my ignorance, but who is Arasaka? Is that an anime reference (Sword Art Online)?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    AlBQuirky said:
    Iselin said:
    Pardon my ignorance, but who is Arasaka? Is that an anime reference (Sword Art Online)?
    It's the family and corporation in Cyberpunk 2077 that controls all the best tech. From weapons to implants to space stations and even immortality via chips that save your personality and memories.

Basically what Musk is trying to be.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

In WoW they run scripts and farm gold so an actual player isn't even behind the keyboard so a chimp beating you might be a step up.

In FFXI I remember grouping with Japanese players because I was playing from Singapore then and the time zone I was in made it more likely for me to see only Japanese players looking for a Red Mage. Red Mages were very popular for groups which was why I played one
    Smiling Face with Halo on Apple iOS 142

So I needed to be able to talk to them and they had this handy dialogue pick tool that gave questions and responses including limit breaks. All the necessary and polite conversation was covered. It was a great way to talk and reply. With that even a chimp will be able to be a good team mate. Makes you think huh ?
    ScotUngoodAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Iselin said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Iselin said:
    It's the family and corporation in Cyberpunk 2077 that controls all the best tech. From weapons to implants to space stations and even immortality via chips that save your personality and memories.

Basically what Musk is trying to be.
    I'm just wondering how long it would be before someone's stored memory persona becomes "old fashioned" to people, as time moves on. 

I was going to write a fantasy book once, where a star character dies, is brought back to life by an ancient artifact, but unable to "grow" in skill, or more importantly, unable to gain new knowledge. He could think and vaguely remember encounters, just like when he was alive, but he couldn't move past that point of social awareness and mental memory and emotional growth from the moment of his death. And he would often wonder why that was, the mystery being revealed at the end when he became the hero and the quest was done. 
    Realizing that he was nothing more than a zombie, a physical incarnation of his memory when truly alive, he falls into lonely despair as he awaits his final end, if that should even come about naturally. 
    IselinAlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I think at this point in time, it will be an expensive investment, the chimp and the equipment for the neural link will cost at least $10 million only to make $100 a day as a gold seller. 
    ScotAlBQuirky
    I think at this point in time, it will be an expensive investment, the chimp and the equipment for the neural link will cost at least $10 million only to make $100 a day as a gold seller. 
    You are right, far better if he goes into selling stuff to MMO whales, more ships and avatar skins perhaps?
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    cheyane said:
    In WoW they run scripts and farm gold so an actual player isn't even behind the keyboard so a chimp beating you might be a step up.

In FFXI I remember grouping with Japanese players because I was playing from Singapore then and the time zone I was in made it more likely for me to see only Japanese players looking for a Red Mage. Red Mages were very popular for groups which was why I played one

So I needed to be able to talk to them and they had this handy dialogue pick tool that gave questions and responses including limit breaks. All the necessary and polite conversation was covered. It was a great way to talk and reply. With that even a chimp will be able to be a good team mate. Makes you think huh ?
    To be fair, Chimps have adopted well to Sign Language as a means of communication, in fact so well, that they will teach it to each other.

So, giving them a list of sentences, or words, as opposed to typing every letter, does seem like the way to go.

To be honest, when I am playing, I think I would rather just to be able to select some basic questions as opposed to needing to type everything out.
    cheyaneAlBQuirky

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    This tech is far, far, from anything like this.

Seeing neurons firing, and being able to interpret, and or, direct those to make things happen. let alone understand them...ya long way away.

Good first steps, but many decades away from what their stated goals are, if even then. The brain is still the most mysterious organ we have, and no one really understands anything but the basics yet.
    AlBQuirky
    edited February 2021
    Ungood said:
    cheyane said:

To be fair, Chimps have adopted well to Sign Language as a means of communication, in fact so well, that they will teach it to each other.

So, giving them a list of sentences, or words, as opposed to typing every letter, does seem like the way to go.

To be honest, when I am playing, I think I would rather just to be able to select some basic questions as opposed to needing to type everything out.
    That option was available in early 2000 and hardly any game employs it now. I mean they can send a tell 'do you want a group at such and such a place'. Then you answer, yes, no , give me 5 minutes. Then they even have casual conversation like do you want to rest or do you wish to leave the group, hello, how are you, thank you for the group, goodbye. Roll on item, plan the limit breaks. It was remarkable and I guess it was lost in all the rush for voice programs and didn't get any more attention.

I levelled playing in Japanese groups until I joined a guild. Not every class though unfortunately are accepted they were only taking the classes that were not so commonly played. A lot of the people who were in the same time zone were not that lucky to get into Japanese groups as I later discovered. The game was also played on the Playstation so I guess this was also to allow for the lack of keyboards.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2021
    If ravens had opposable thumbs and neuralink I think we would be in trouble.

ScotAlBQuirky
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited February 2021
    Wizardry said:
    Could be a conspiracy thing, but I believe the navy tried using dolphins for a long time.  Trained, not neural net or anything.

Edit:  National Geographic article on Russia an US

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/news/2019/5/140328-navy-dolphin-sea-lion-combat-ocean-animal-science
    AlBQuirky