Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC no display

st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
I'm having trouble with a PC.   The pc would not go to bios no matter what. Restarted pc, turned off quick start, Could not get it to go to bios, So i pulled the cmos battery and when i put it back it i get nothing. Will turn on but nothing will ever display on monitor.   I replace the motherboard thinking that either the bios chip fried or something else on mother board. 

New motherboard here and still having the same issue. The computer will turn on but i get no display.  Ive tried different monitors, power supply, hard drive and processors.   Im stumped.   I will take completely apart tomorrow and swap the case so that its completely fresh build.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    If the computer doesn't give display the problem can be just about any part.

Some things that you should generally try:

1. Many computers have both discrete graphic card and integrated graphic card. If you have both on your computer, try switching the monitor from one to another

2. Does the start-up look like it's working normally other than no picture, or do you notice something exceptional: For example do the case's lights switch on normally, do your fans switch on normally. If you have old spinning hard-disk you can also usually listen to whether it spins normally, but SSDs don't make any sounds so this is not possible with SSD.

If you can hear or notice anything that doesn't work normally it might give you clue where the problem is

3. If those things don't tell you anything, I'd recommend buying an internal motherboard speaker and using it to listen if your computer is giving you any error codes. It's a device like this and doesn't cost much:
      https://www.amazon.com/RuiLing-Motherboard-Speaker-Computer-Internal/dp/B07SPYB2HF

Once you attach that kind of speaker to speaker connectors inside your motherboards, you can hear if your BIOS is trying to transmit you some audio error code. Normally all motherboards and BIOSes try to give you this kind of error codes when boot fails (assuming it's working far enough to produce the code), but you'll need to buy an internal speaker to be able to hear them.

Your motherboard's manual will tell you where on the motherboard that internal motherboard speaker can be plugged. It's often great when something unidentified if wrong with the computer, and it's much cheaper to try buying one first rather than starting to buy new parts at random
    [Deleted User]

edited February 2021
    st4t1ck said:
    I'm having trouble with a PC.   The pc would not go to bios no matter what. Restarted pc, turned off quick start, Could not get it to go to bios, So i pulled the cmos battery and when i put it back it i get nothing. Will turn on but nothing will ever display on monitor.
    By turning off quick start, do you mean that the problem started by:

The computer worked otherwise normally but you couldn't get into BIOS, so you disabled Fast Startup on Windows 10? Or what/where exactly was the quick start that you disabled?

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Yes i disabled quickstart because i could not get into bios. The computer would some times start up before i did, but i would have to hard reset it a few time top get it to boot.

Everything seems to start up correctly. All lights and fans come on.  I have also tried onboard and bought graphics cards to no avail.

I have disconnected the only standard hard drive. The other 2 are m.2 hard drives.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    st4t1ck said:
    Yes i disabled quickstart because i could not get into bios. The computer would some times start up before i did, but i would have to hard reset it a few time top get it to boot.

Everything seems to start up correctly. All lights and fans come on.  I have also tried onboard and bought graphics cards to no avail.

I have disconnected the only standard hard drive. The other 2 are m.2 hard drives.

Have you tried connecting the monitor with both HDMI and DisplayPort?

My current MB monitor combo will display the BIOS with either but my previous one with my older monitor would only do it with and HDMI connection. With DisplayPort I couldn't see any of the BIOS boot messages and only get an image when Windows loaded. If I wanted to do anything with the BIOS I had to change the connection to HDMI so I could see it.

Just a thought.

[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited February 2021
    For the first problem:

Try the keyboard in another port. Some USB ports work wonky on startup - I know I had issues with an asus and their keybot port or something like that

also make sure you are spamming the right key - it isn’t always the same across vendors 

For the second: 

are you positive the monitor works, with that display cable? Can you test it on another machine. make sure it’s on the correct input

discrete video vs internal video - make sure to try them both
    [Deleted User]
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    So i have tried 4 different monitors. 2 pc stations that have 2 monitors each
    Ive tried on board and external gpu

Wasnt getting any screens before for bios. just black, then start up. 

So i now have a new case and power supply that i put everything in. And im still getting no display.  The only piece that has not been changed out is the water cooler. Would that cause a pc to start and run but have no display?

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Did you try new monitor cable?
    st4t1ck said:
    So i have tried 4 different monitors. 2 pc stations that have 2 monitors each
    Ive tried on board and external gpu

Wasnt getting any screens before for bios. just black, then start up. 

So i now have a new case and power supply that i put everything in. And im still getting no display.  The only piece that has not been changed out is the water cooler. Would that cause a pc to start and run but have no display?

It's unlikely that water cooler could cause that kind of problem, but not completely impossible.

But it's more likely that you have encountered two problems: One with the old parts, and a second one with the new parts.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited February 2021
    Mars_OMG said:
    get a neww cmos battery then find the jumper to clear cmos. 

Have you tried this?  Sometimes shit happens and you need to clear the cmos to get things working again.  

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

st4t1ck said:

So i now have a new case and power supply that i put everything in. And im still getting no display.
    I'm asking just to verify: Is the display completely black, or are you getting something like blinking _ -mark on the upper right corner of the screen at some point, or monitor's error messages about no signal?

Also, is the monitor displaying its own start up -logo normally when you turn the monitor on (assuming it's a monitor that displays a start up logo. Most of them do)

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    What is your GPU, Monitor, and PSU?