Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Releases their First Newsletter of 2021 - Talks Realms and Races | MMORPG.com

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:

Less concept art

More game

They are releasing pictures, because they have nothing else going on, not a game to begin with.

I think the same situation is with Pantheon - each time I see news about it on some MMO news website, sometimes there is a video livestream and it's just a couple hours of two talking heads, they don't even show a single picture, just yapping away about some boring crap that nobody cares about.

That's simply not true regarding Pantheon. Here is a 2 hour video of them actually playing the game as a group of five, and this is not the only video they have posted featuring gameplay.

Yeah, but who exactly is "playing" in the video, Developers right?

Most of their videos are dungeon crawls with little evidence of open world content.

Don't forget, they recently admitted to resetting development a year or so back so most videos previously shared are of a world which is mostly back at gray box level.

Don't assume their recent dog and pony show created to lure in new investors is anything more than a marketing gimmick, they really don't have much in the way of playable content and are way behind CU in terms of progress which isn't saying much of course.

I can't believe you just claimed Pantheon is way behind CU in terms of progress. What exactly has CU shown us that in any way shows progress other than a few hours of huge battles in a controlled environment? That's the only video footage I've seen of CU, while Pantheon has shown several lengthy videos of world and content areas, climate system, climbing, perception storylines and some other minor advancements.
    Every backer has been able to see the progress (or lack thereof) for a several years now.  They are basically running a 24x3 test envs which Pantheon is no where near doing yet.

As Mark isn't trying to market the game to anyone for more funding, he's not bothering to flood YouTube with videos of gameplay that for the most part was all made largely irrelevant about a year or so back.

Pantheon basically has one small dungeons crawl which they are using to solicit investors, everything else is just a smokescreen.

Gaah, can't believe you found a to get me defending CU, but holding up Pantheon as anything more than a glorified tech demo is just slated to fail.

Come see me again once the backers have regular access to a test envs which contains any evidence of a world outside of the demo.
    [Deleted User]YashaX[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Syphin_B said:

Less concept art

More game

They are releasing pictures, because they have nothing else going on, not a game to begin with.

I think the same situation is with Pantheon - each time I see news about it on some MMO news website, sometimes there is a video livestream and it's just a couple hours of two talking heads, they don't even show a single picture, just yapping away about some boring crap that nobody cares about.

Are you serious? They've been releasing actual gameplay videos with Cohh Carnage for the past 4 years, what rock have you been hiding under?
    Yet another who really doesn't know, let's not tell him about the code reset a year or so back which inherently invalidated all video progress before then, since they were just a shell game to keep funding rolling in.
    [Deleted User]YashaX

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I can't tell if I am on the CU or the PRotF topic, still working on my 1st cup of coffee, and they both look vastly the same as far as outrage goes, I wager for largely the same reasons.

Anyway, for anyone wondering, playing Crowfall graybox, was awesome!

I sincerely think that these Crowed Funded developers would be better served to take a good look at how Crowfall did things, and even a in rough, raw, and unfinished state, they let their backers jump into a Graybox World and play, just to get a feel for what is going on.

For me personally, It was really cool to see the game evolve as I played it, going into the main keep and seeing the details get added with each update.. like "Ooo so that is what those statues are supposed to look like"

Even things like "Ah I see we don't have the endless mats button enabled anymore, gonna have to see how this is really supposed to work. off to break some stones"

It was things like that, was just this really great experience for me with Crowfall, which is why I defend the game, even if it is not "Live" yet. I've played it, albeit in a rough state, like being on a construction site watching the whole building form around you, it's really an amazing experience to witness that for a game.  

And Perhaps other developers really should pull a leaf from Crowfall's book and start to the same, it would do a great deal to quell the people who want to see what the game is like and what progress is being made in a real time feeling.

Just my feels on the matter.
    TwistedSister77[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Ungood said:
    I can't tell if I am on the CU or the PRotF topic, still working on my 1st cup of coffee, and they both look vastly the same as far as outrage goes, I wager for largely the same reasons.

I sincerely think that these Crowed Funded developers would be better served to take a good look at how Crowfall did things, and even a in rough, raw, and unfinished state, they let their backers jump into a Graybox World and play, just to get a feel for what is going on.

For me personally, It was really cool to see the game evolve as I played it, going into the main keep and seeing the details get added with each update.. like "Ooo so that is what those statues are supposed to look like"

Even things like "Ah I see we don't have the endless mats button enabled anymore, gonna have to see how this is really supposed to work. off to break some stones"

It was things like that, was just this really great experience for me with Crowfall, which is why I defend the game, even if it is not "Live" yet. I've played it, albeit in a rough state, like being on a construction site watching the whole building form around you, it's really an amazing experience to witness that for a game.  

And Perhaps other developers really should pull a leaf from Crowfall's book and start to the same, it would do a great deal to quell the people who want to see what the game is like and what progress is being made in a real time feeling.

I have to agree, Crowfall seems to be the legit crowd funded game.  Was in their free open beta few months back... still needs polish of course... but it's a real game.  (Maybe not everyone's cup of tea).

Done on a much smaller budget than CU and a fraction of the beast Starcitizen.
    Ungood[Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Why ya all shitting on them?

Did they kick your kitten or something?
    It's just what we do here, especially for truly incompetent dev efforts, which this one clearly is.

Original promised delivery date...2015

Yet 5 years later and they are showing off their concept art.

Time to add more to the pile

When I first hear a game announced in development, I have a certain amount of time I give it......When it goes beyond that number, then I lose interest and move on....THis ship sailed long ago.
    [Deleted User]Mendel
    Ungood said:

I have to agree, Crowfall seems to be the legit crowd funded game.  Was in their free open beta few months back... still needs polish of course... but it's a real game.  (Maybe not everyone's cup of tea).

Exactly. 

In fact, even after a few hundred to jump in as a backer, it turned out to be, not what I was looking for, I have zero regrets.

Because I got to watch a game get developed around me as I played it, it was amassing, and worth every penny to see that happen.

Yah it still needs a LOT of work, polish, right now it's going through system revamps, and I think some features still need to put in, changed, removed?

In fact, I am not sure if they put in mounts yet, and truth be told, that was hilarious that they put in the "Mount Feature" IE: You could activate your mount, but without the mount itself being graphically present.. that was hilarious. 

But honestly, I think more of these Crowed funded MMO's should look at what Crowfall is doing, and really take a strong consideration to follow the same path.

And for anyone looking for a very transparent and honest, Crowd Funded MMO, Crowfall is there for you, no gimmicks, no tricks, you can log in and play their rough ass game and literally watch the development unfold step by step, first hand as you play, you can watch the vides of behind the scenes on what they just did, and all that.

While not a game for me, it just does not click with me well, It was still an amazing experience, and I for one and glad to have been a part of it, and anyone looking for a Realms vs realms MMO, check out Crowfall.
    [Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KovaiKovai Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Early on this was by far the #1 game I was interested in playing. Now every time I see a post it's a joke. A really bad joke.
    YashaX
    edited February 2021
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    I am really happy to hear that from you guys, because I also hear negative things as well. This means that it is probably shaping up to be a good game and the rest is just a matter of preferences/taste (I get the same vibes from New World as well). On paper it sounds really interesting and I am looking forward to checking it out. Given the amount of videos of gameplay in YT it definitely looks miles ahead of the other games in development.
    Eh.. I think I might be under some NDA or whatever still.

But, I think way too many people walked into the Pre-Alpha/Graybox setting not realizing that this was going to be a rough game.

One thing that  heard a lot of fuss about was combat, and to be fair, those objections were well founded at that time, because the animations were lacking, delayed, and in some cases, simply not there at all, it didn't feel like you were actively fighting, combat felt kludgey, awkward, lacking,.. but.. Again.. Alpha. They smoothed a lot of that up later.

Which was super cool, to later being playing and realizing "Oh.. so that's what the mob was hitting me with" because their charge attack animation had not been put in when you first fought them, and now you see what was knocking you down.

But I get that for people looking for a Realms vs Realms games, combat was going to be a huge point for them, but you got to know what you are dealing with, it's like walking into a construction site and realizing that it's only half done, no.. you can't use the bathroom, because neither the water or sewer is hooked up.

Anyway, yah.. Crowfall I think did the best by it's backers, to just put out what they had, as they had it, and say "Pre-alpha folks, check it out, yes, we are going to wipe, no, it's not done yet, yes we know that wall and those several features and that class is still missing, thank you"
    [Deleted User]TwistedSister77

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Well at least we know the concept artist is doing a good job.

Usually concept art is in a gallery that I scroll through on the webpage but not here. With Camelot Unchained the focus is the concept art.

What? Eight years in? More concept art.

Could they show the game? Is that a crazy idea?
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    One thing that  heard a lot of fuss about was combat, and to be fair, those objections were well founded at that time, because the animations were lacking, delayed, and in some cases, simply not there at all, it didn't feel like you were actively fighting, combat felt kludgey, awkward, lacking,.. but.. Again.. Alpha. They smoothed a lot of that up later.
    Another complaint I heard about the combat was that it was very floaty. But, even though I can appreciate some weight in combat (I loved BDO and MHW combat), I also liked Wildstar and GW2 combat and they were floaty too. Crowfall gives me GW2 vibes in this respect.

I am not sure it is under NDA. You can find lots of gameplay vids in YT.
    Gonne be honest, I have no idea what you mean by floaty.

So...... I can't comment on that.

It does have "assisted" targeting, not direct Action Combat, is that what they mean by floaty?

Ungood said:

Err, point of order, Crowfail's published total funding to date is $38M while by best accounts CU stands around $20M

https://crowfall.com/en-US/funding

Ungood[Deleted User]

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Err, point of order, Crowfail's published total funding to date is $38M while by best accounts CU stands around $20M

Just gonna say, a lot of that leg ahead money might have come from them having a working game for the last year or so.

Being able to log in and play the game, does a lot to get people willing to buy your product, even if it's not finished yet.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Just gonna say, a lot of that leg ahead money might have come from them having a working game for the last year or so.

Being able to log in and play the game, does a lot to get people willing to buy your product, even if it's not finished yet.
    Have to agree, just look at the money Roberts Industries is raking in, like Scrouge McDuck diving into his cash.

[Deleted User]cheyaneUngood

edited February 2021
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    Strikes do not feel very impactful, with little weight. I can only explain it with examples. GW2 combat is slightly floaty. MHW combat has more weight. It's just the impression that the combat leaves, nothing objective to it.
    Hey, I'm glad you're debating a game's mechanics in prelaunch.  You said you didn't play it.  The devs are are working on it.  

The fact is, there was an open beta... you didnt play it.  I personally NEVER preorder or FUND a game (I have offered to fund development hours on established launched games to fix stuff for the community).  

So I am not endorsing this game, but it is a rare gem that will make it to market and not be a total POS.

This game is launching... unlike so many others.

Ps when an MMORPG has a free beta, I'm in to try.  I was in so many.  Mortal Online 2 was my last.  I want to be positive, but I have to be objective.  I give feedback to their forums and bug reports. 
    Post edited by TwistedSister77 on
    edited February 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Yeah, this is total BS.  Anyone believe "best accounts" CU raised only 20M?  7 years... really? 
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Yeah, this is total BS.  Anyone believe "best accounts" CU raised only 20M?  7 years... really? 
    Err, yes, by many accounts here and in other media $20M is what was raised for CU, though they might have received more to build FSR.

With as little as CU has accomplished to date let's hope they haven't spent much more than $20M.

;)

Rhoklaw said:
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:

Less concept art

More game

That's simply not true regarding Pantheon. Here is a 2 hour video of them actually playing the game as a group of five, and this is not the only video they have posted featuring gameplay.

Most of their videos are dungeon crawls with little evidence of open world content.

Don't forget, they recently admitted to resetting development a year or so back so most videos previously shared are of a world which is mostly back at gray box level.

Don't assume their recent dog and pony show created to lure in new investors is anything more than a marketing gimmick, they really don't have much in the way of playable content and are way behind CU in terms of progress which isn't saying much of course.

I can't believe you just claimed Pantheon is way behind CU in terms of progress. What exactly has CU shown us that in any way shows progress other than a few hours of huge battles in a controlled environment? That's the only video footage I've seen of CU, while Pantheon has shown several lengthy videos of world and content areas, climate system, climbing, perception storylines and some other minor advancements.
    Every backer has been able to see the progress (or lack thereof) for a several years now.  They are basically running a 24x3 test envs which Pantheon is no where near doing yet.

As Mark isn't trying to market the game to anyone for more funding, he's not bothering to flood YouTube with videos of gameplay that for the most part was all made largely irrelevant about a year or so back.

Pantheon basically has one small dungeons crawl which they are using to solicit investors, everything else is just a smokescreen.

Gaah, can't believe you found a to get me defending CU, but holding up Pantheon as anything more than a glorified tech demo is just slated to fail.

Come see me again once the backers have regular access to a test envs which contains any evidence of a world outside of the demo.
    I haven't exactly been following CU, so aside from them making some alternate game called Ragnarok or whatever its called and the huge tech demo battle to show max players in a localized area before crashing the server, what have they shown?

As for Pantheon, there is the one instanced dungeon, but there are several open world areas that are basically designed like dungeons, such as Black Rose Keep and couple others. There are also 2 very large zones and a third zone which not everyone has had access to, maybe 2 zones, I'm not sure.

We've had access to Wizard, Rogue, Enchanter, Cleric, Warrior, Dire Lord, Monk, and Shaman. We did have access to a majority of the races if not all of them.

So again, how exactly is Pantheon waaaay behind CU in progress?
    No testing environment open to backers on a regular basis, outside of a few very controlled tests for those who gave $1000 or more.  CUs been providing regular access to all levels of backers for several years now and recently achieved their goal of 24 x 3 testing for the past several months.

As for the races, you may have seen them, but you haven't had access to them yet, unless of course you are one of the 1K backers who's breaking NDA as you aren't even permitted to say you are in the testing, much less provide any details.

But you go ahead, keep paying no attention to the man behind the curtain over there, the "wizards" will fix everything.

Ungood[Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaX

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    Strikes do not feel very impactful, with little weight. I can only explain it with examples. GW2 combat is slightly floaty. MHW combat has more weight. It's just the impression that the combat leaves, nothing objective to it.
    Hey, I'm glad you're debating a game's mechanics in prelaunch.  You said you didn't play it.  The devs are are working on it.  

The fact is, there was an open beta... you didnt play it.  I personally NEVER preorder or FUND a game (I have offered to fund development hours on established launched games to fix stuff for the community).  

So I am not endorsing this game, but it is a rare gem that will make it to market and not be a total POS.

This game is launching... unlike so many others.

Ps when an MMORPG has a free beta, I'm in to try.  I was in so many.  Mortal Online 2 was my last.  I want to be positive, but I have to be objective.  I give feedback to their forums and bug reports. 
    CU is launching just as much as Pantheon, Star Citizen, Ashes of Creation etc. are. Which is a firm ‘probably.’ I actually did play and combat is indeed floaty, not just in comparison to launched games but also compared to most other games in Alpha/EA in the genre, which I also play except for Pantheon.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    UngoodKyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    Ok, well depending at what phase they were playing... Yah.

Gonna be honest, when I started, which was when they first announced their endless alpha, a long ways back. Combat really didn't have much a feel to it at all, no real sense of engagement. That's VERY true.

That has been evolving as animations get put in and they polish the game up. So while in their Alpha/pre-beta state, it does as you said, floaty, like the hits are not real, or do not have impact, I have personally seen this change a bit, at least with Mobs, where their hits originally where near to non-existent, to in my last play through having more a sense of actual combat.

So, this is one of those things I am sure will come to shine more as they polish things up.

Again.. This is an Alpha Build.. people need to realize that.
    [Deleted User]

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:

Less concept art

More game

I haven't exactly been following CU, so aside from them making some alternate game called Ragnarok or whatever its called and the huge tech demo battle to show max players in a localized area before crashing the server, what have they shown?

As for Pantheon, there is the one instanced dungeon, but there are several open world areas that are basically designed like dungeons, such as Black Rose Keep and couple others. There are also 2 very large zones and a third zone which not everyone has had access to, maybe 2 zones, I'm not sure.

We've had access to Wizard, Rogue, Enchanter, Cleric, Warrior, Dire Lord, Monk, and Shaman. We did have access to a majority of the races if not all of them.

So again, how exactly is Pantheon waaaay behind CU in progress?
    No testing environment open to backers on a regular basis, outside of a few very controlled tests for those who gave $1000 or more.  CUs been providing regular access to all levels of backers for several years now and recently achieved their goal of 24 x 3 testing for the past several months.

As for the races, you may have seen them, but you haven't had access to them yet, unless of course you are one of the 1K backers who's breaking NDA as you aren't even permitted to say you are in the testing, much less provide any details.

But you go ahead, keep paying no attention to the man behind the curtain over there, the "wizards" will fix everything.

But does that really show that Pantheon is behind? All that shows is that one company is more transparent than the other.

This seems like it's going into "Delete" territory where if one is not shown then it doesn't exist!

And as I've said before I think game companies shouldn't show their games to the public until they are done. A certain demographic of players just can't handle it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    And as I've said before I think game companies shouldn't show their games to the public until they are done. A certain demographic of players just can't handle it.
    I totally agree with you on this one, but also keep in mind, to those that can handle it, will be the best advertisement and faith builders across all media platforms you could hope for, they will slog it in the trenches for you like no one else.

This is also why Crowfall, unlike CU and Pantheon, is often well defended, not by the devs, but by the backers who are actively playing it, or have played it and know what they saw.

Even the backers that realize this won't be the game for them, will still defend its viability as a game. 

And that kind of faith, only comes from having the game available.

As my wife said when I was venting about this topic "Who would have thought having a product to sell would make it easier to sell your product! Amazing!"
    Kyleran

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    The process of development that was one largely hidden is now overly exposed, perhaps indecently so. We were better off when we were blissfully ignorant or it was left largely to our imagination. The time for anticipation and excitement was much shorter, giving it far less opportunity for it to burn out before the game was released.
    [Deleted User]MendelYashaX
  • joshisanonymousjoshisanonymous Member UncommonPosts: 23

Aragoni said:

As noted, Mark is way behind on processing refund requests put in almost a year ago, no telling how long a new request put in today might take.

Ah I see. Did not know that. That really sucks then.

Well, on the other hand, even having the option for a refund for Kickstarter pledges is truly unique. Just try to find another developer that even offers this.

In any case, this is a lot of complaining about only seeing concept art and no game, yet the very same day, they streamed footage of a new area while it was open for any backer at all to log in and check out, which also includes a new giant races that grows over time as your character progresses (which means they also have progression on). The comments in this thread are just people who gets kicks out of bashing everything they come across.
    Ungood

www.joshmcneill.com

• joshisanonymousjoshisanonymous Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Ungood said:

Just say you know, CU has been open to all backers every weekend for months now. We just got access to a new zone this past weekend (which was streamed on Friday by CSE), and giants were made playable just two weekends ago. There's basic crafting, 100% destructible buildings, a keep capture system, a power grid that you can build and destroy. There's a lot going on, albeit "rough" as you say, and it's all accessible to every level of backer every weekend.
    YashaXUngoodKyleran[Deleted User]

www.joshmcneill.com

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Sovrath said:
    In the case of crowdfunded projects, the initial money they get from backers is often used as a proof that the project can be popular, to later attract major investors. If game studios have nothing to show to the potential backers, they will likely fail to attract them and their wallet, and therefor lose opportunities with investors.
    SovrathKyleran