Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO ReRoll - Champions Online | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMO ReRoll - Champions Online | MMORPG.com

After adventuring through a few high fantasy RPGs for MMO Reroll, Mitch felt like it was time to take a break from dwarves and trolls and try something different. So he turned to Champions Online. What's it like to check out this MMO in 2021 as a new player?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Mitch with a superhero game, wow. :-)
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543

I'm sorta super so it kinda makes sense. :)
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

He's super, thanks for asking?

Dude, I'm really missing the face-palming Spider-man I've known from the other place. :)
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    They did give away one freeform slot for free, not terribly long ago. All one had to do was log in and claim it from the in game store. I was surprised by that, seeing as freeform is the most standout and valuable feature of the game.

Perhaps they will do it again some time.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Champions Online used to be pretty good. Maybe it even still is if you've got an unlimited budget. I'd probably give it another go at some point if they brought back the subscription option. But needing to pay $250 to repurchase access to characters that I already paid for just isn't tempting. That's not microtransactions.
    strawhat0981Mendel
    Don't worry.  The only thing you miss out on by not playing DC Universe Online is carpal tunnel.
    strawhat0981
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    You do know about City of Heroes Homecoming right? They just released Issue 27 with a new story arc involving the Freakshow. Those cyberthugs have been scavenging from Vahzilok with frightening results.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited January 2021
    Wow... an article about CO. Awesome :)

As you said, a FF (Freeform) slot could really open up the game for you, it's a restriction especially for theory-crafting players (others just like the easier set-go of ATs). Sadly with the subscribe option is gone, no easy way to try that aspect of the game out...
    It really IS the way of playing the game if you like to build your very own superhero, that's why it was the main subscription perk.
    That could ease many of your disconnect feels towards your character, and make leveling up an actual build process, as you pick your next power every time.

Also, while FF is indeed the meat of the game, it's often on discount, and there were two giveaways just in the recent two years as KnightFalz mentioned above.

ATs (Archetypes) aren't bad either, some of them (free ones included) are pretty viable and strong. Unleashed (force-based powers) was a popular FF build Cryptic made into AT around the time SWTOR arrived for example.
    Not to mention if you stick around for a year, you can unlock 20 more ATs for free, during the different events happening in CO, which bumps the total into 32 of 41 :)

Actually +1, since the Automaton you mentioned in the article is also a free unlock, you get it when your first character on the account reaches level 40.
    (and a slight correction, it ain't really Iron Man, a bit too squishy for that... if you want to make a Tony, Invincible is a much better AT around the Power Armor set. It also can be a free unlock, if you play during the Anniversary.)

While at free unlocks, same goes for the cosmetics, if you play through a game, and the events around the year, you can unlock (guesstimate, not factual) about 2/3 of all the pieces of the game, and trust me, that's a lot. No surprise CO is often called by the community as Costumes Online...
    (speaking of costumes, if your Soldier is pumped enough on steroids, sign him up for today's https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/11483443-best-shape-costume-contest%21  :) )

For the playerbase part, I too used to say in threads about population that CO might have only a smaller crowd, but they're friendly and active.
    While you have short queues and players around all the time, it doesn't really matter whether 10k or 10 million is the daily player count.

sschrupp
  • blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144

Alverant said:

You do know about City of Heroes Homecoming right? They just released Issue 27 with a new story arc involving the Freakshow. Those cyberthugs have been scavenging from Vahzilok with frightening results.

Yeah, I just jumped back into it Good times.
    I'd add a couple more things, if it's ok.  :)

-Premium pack
    "What's it like to check out this MMO in 2021 as a new player?"
    For new player's I'd definitely suggest the pack. When Cryptic removed the subscription, that pack was the replacement. Former subscribers got it automatically, others need to buy it, and it's a well worth bundle.
    For about $10-15 (depends on the time of purchase, sales and discounts) it puts the account to the state of permanent sub - except the Freeform access.
    Unlocks the bag slots, currency cap, a bunch of cosmetics, some fancy travel powers, more AH slots, etc., and gives 6 more character slots as well to have some space experimenting with different character ideas.

-Zen exchange
    As with the other two Cryptic games, in CO you can as well get shop currency from simply playing the game. What's dilithium and astral diamonds in STO/Neverwinter, is questionite in CO. Rewarded by quite a couple activities (not just endgame), can exchange it to Zen and buy anything from the store that way.

-Archetype count
    Did a re-check on my "32 of 41" calculation above, turned out I failed to count apparently... The ATs you can't get for free (either by default or at an in-game event) are only seven:
    1 tank, the Samurai
    1 support, Blazing
    2 melee dps (Penitent and Cybernetic Warrior)
    3 ranged dps (Midnight, Hexslinger and Psychokinetic)
    All the rest are available in one way or the other.

So, even if one doesn't need the full freedom of Freeform and feels somewhat safer/easier to just pick a "class" and go with it, still can have a lot of variety without spending cash - as long as doesn't mind playing and participating at events and festivities around the year.
    sschrupp

They did give away one freeform slot for free, not terribly long ago. All one had to do was log in and claim it from the in game store. I was surprised by that, seeing as freeform is the most standout and valuable feature of the game.

Perhaps they will do it again some time.

That's good to hear. I'll have to keep an eye out for another chance.

blbeta said:

Alverant said:

I knew about Homecoming but never read too much about it. I thought it was more a fan project and didn't realize it was as far along as it is. How is the population?
  • blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144
    2400+ atm for me, not sure what it will be when you look.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/
    Alverant
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Splattr said:

blbeta said:

Alverant said:

I knew about Homecoming but never read too much about it. I thought it was more a fan project and didn't realize it was as far along as it is. How is the population?

In line with blbeta, the population is often in the mid-2000s on a regular basis. Every month they ask for donations to keep the project running and most of the time they get enough within an hour that they can no longer accept more until next month. I don't know how numbers like that stack up with other MMOs, but it's pretty good all things considered. Excelsior and Everlasting are the most populated out of five servers.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I played Champions in the past, but they really nerfed the fun out of it in a hurry.  Now its whales, whales, whales... I found that out when I gave it another try about 3 years ago.  

Fortunately, City of Heroes is back.  There are a few teams working on the game, Homecoming and Rebirth are the biggest.  I'm currently playing mostly on Homecoming/ Excelsior.  There are leveling teams, mission teams etc... although it seems like power leveling is about 30-40% of how people are currently leveling.  I have no problems with that, I have a power leveling toon on each of my two accounts.

That said, if you enjoyed CoH, you will have tons of fun now, even though it is a 17 year old game.  Old graphics don't detract much from the excellent combat.  There are still some annoying bugs in the game, but there is plenty of good stuff still in the game.  It would be nice if NCsoft would divest themselves of the game so it can grow and maybe even get remastered...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

edited January 2021
    GladDog said:
    I played Champions in the past, but they really nerfed the fun out of it in a hurry.  Now its whales, whales, whales... I found that out when I gave it another try about 3 years ago.
    Could you elaborate that part? I'm honestly curious, not just nit-picking...
    As far as I know, CO is among the least whale-affected games out there, at least according to other players' fun ("nerfed the fun out of it").

CO's endgame (the "real" endgame, as half-jokingly the community used to say) is cosmetics and alts.
    The latter anyone can pile up on, character slots are cheap (regular, not FF slot), and I doubt you mean the fun nerfing by: those whales have 100+ alts, no fun left for me :) 
    If anything it even helps with grouping, for endgame runs, if players can bring out different character builds/roles.

So, cosmetics. Game has thousands of pieces, and it's true some of those are really rare and tends to end up at players with plenty of spent time and/or cash. But that's not new, no nerf there, it was the case even back in the subscription days too... people were running Vibora 24/7 for the rare cosmetic drops.
    When your fun comes mainly from cosmetics, and you can't build your ideal costume for a contest due to missing pieces, I can see how it hampers your fun, but it ain't a nerf, and not really a whale problem either.

However, they really did nerfs of fun, like around Neverwinter's launch axing the whole crafting system and watering it down into Neverwinter's "new and fun" fusion system, or just last year nerfing the vehicle system entirely (now vehicles are in practice just travel powers with a different skin).
    I don't debate the nerfs, I'm only wondering about the "whales, whales, whales" part...  :)
    Po_gg said:
    GladDog said:
    Could you elaborate that part? I'm honestly curious, not just nit-picking...
    As far as I know, CO is among the least whale-affected games out there, at least according to other players' fun ("nerfed the fun out of it").

CO's endgame (the "real" endgame, as half-jokingly the community used to say) is cosmetics and alts.
    The latter anyone can pile up on, character slots are cheap (regular, not FF slot), and I doubt you mean the fun nerfing by: those whales have 100+ alts, no fun left for me :) 
    If anything it even helps with grouping, for endgame runs, if players can bring out different character builds/roles.

So, cosmetics. Game has thousands of pieces, and it's true some of those are really rare and tends to end up at players with plenty of spent time and/or cash. But that's not new, no nerf there, it was the case even back in the subscription days too... people were running Vibora 24/7 for the rare cosmetic drops.
    When your fun comes mainly from cosmetics, and you can't build your ideal costume for a contest due to missing pieces, I can see how it hampers your fun, but it ain't a nerf, and not really a whale problem either.

However, they really did nerfs of fun, like around Neverwinter's launch axing the whole crafting system and watering it down into Neverwinter's "new and fun" fusion system, or just last year nerfing the vehicle system entirely (now vehicles are in practice just travel powers with a different skin).
    I don't debate the nerfs, I'm only wondering about the "whales, whales, whales" part...  :)
    I have 28 characters, as I bought a lot of character slots.  They used to all be freeform, and I could keep them freeform for $15/month.  Now I'd have to pay $250 up front to recover all of those characters before I can continue to play the game.  "You must pay $250 to continue" sure sounds like whale territory to me.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I left my off-and-on affair with CO when I came back, and they wanted me to pay to use my existing characters.  It was a bad look then for a F2P game, and it's still a bad look.

I used to enjoy the alerts.  The monster invasions were pretty fun, but were pretty limited.  A dozen other super villains and various locations around the city would have helped immensely.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I have tried to like this game and played the beta and also when it launched but I always preferred City of Heroes.
    Chamber of Chains
    Quizzical said:
    I have 28 characters, as I bought a lot of character slots.  They used to all be freeform, and I could keep them freeform for $15/month.  Now I'd have to pay $250 up front to recover all of those characters before I can continue to play the game.  "You must pay $250 to continue" sure sounds like whale territory to me.
    That's a two-fold issue, but neither part seems whale to me...
    First, the price itself, that's for the lifetime. Many games offer lifetime subs, and buying one doesn't make you a whale imo.
    Second, and for that I quote Mendel too
    Mendel said:
    I left my off-and-on affair with CO when I came back, and they wanted me to pay to use my existing characters.
    the locked away old Freeform characters. That ain't whale issue either, that's -no need to sugarcoat it- plain ransom, or blackmail.

I'm fully with both of you on that one, was in the same shoes as I'm a game hopper... when I went back to CO I usually threw in a month of sub.
    Sadly that's not an option anymore, but it was discussed back and forth at that time as well ( https://www.mmorpg.com/news/were-shifting-away-from-monthly-subscriptions-as-of-june-7th-2000098572 )

I was asking GladDog above because of whaling (for me) translates as the original meaning of: players show up, throw hundreds (or even thousands) of real cash onto the game, and they "nerf the fun" as GladDog said, for other players. Either they trash them in pvp, or get far ahead in PvE, or just get a solidified top space on the e-peen charts, etc.

In CO, they can't do any of those. No pvp (there is, just nobody cares so it's dead :) ), no power/"I win" purchases, can buy mod/enhancment advances but it affects no other players around since gear ain't an issue in CO anyway...

That's why I was curious about that "they really nerfed the fun out of it in a hurry.  Now its whales, whales, whales..." part.
    It ain't STO and the $250 legendary ship bundles :)  now that is some whaling over there.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    What is really nice about Champions Online is the artstyle.
    MendelPo_gg
    Chamber of Chains
    Po_gg said:
    Quizzical said:
    That's a two-fold issue, but neither part seems whale to me...
    First, the price itself, that's for the lifetime. Many games offer lifetime subs, and buying one doesn't make you a whale imo.
    The reason I quote the $250 price tag is because that's the cheaper way to get it.  Add up the cost to buy 28 freeform character slots without a lifetime subscription and it comes to a lot more than that.  If you want to say that it's not whaling because it's something else worse than that, fine.  But it's a thoroughly unreasonable price tag that I'm not going to pay.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Po_gg said:
    <snip>
    Mendel said:
    I left my off-and-on affair with CO when I came back, and they wanted me to pay to use my existing characters.
    the locked away old Freeform characters. That ain't whale issue either, that's -no need to sugarcoat it- plain ransom, or blackmail.

<snip>
    I think the original intent was to trim Freeform characters, but my initial healer and soldier (Sgt Mendel) were somehow included in the blackmail scheme.  I remember the fun floating (Jet Pack) off a tall building and lobbing grenades at gangs on passing buildings as I drifted safely to the ground.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I remember trying this a few years ago.....I was not impressed but also I was never a fan of superhero worlds......I guess I just like Dwarves and Elves and Humans in my games.
    Quizzical said:
    If you want to say that it's not whaling because it's something else worse than that, fine.
    Maybe you misunderstood me (or just skipped the second part).
    a) $200-$300 for a lifetime sub, it's fine and is/was pretty common with MMORPGs.
    b) Locking away characters is definitely not fine. But the pricetag alone doesn't make it a whale issue...

Whaling is when players spend a ton of money (willingly) on a game to get ahead of other players, to get some benefits, special items or treatment, etc.
    Paying a ton of money, just to get back your own characters, and not even willingly but kinda forced to do it (or the characters stay locked), that's rather blackmail and not whaling.