Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Confirms In-Depth Character Creator | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageAshes of Creation Confirms In-Depth Character Creator | MMORPG.com

In case you missed it, the Ashes of Creation community team confirmed the in-depth nature of the character creator. Here's what you can expect.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BlastoizeBlastoize Member UncommonPosts: 22
    In depth character creator? I mean you can costumize your character so good, for example face and body but whats the point?

You put armor and you see nothing from your body, you put helmet you see bad face render and it is very small.

We see this in so many mmorpgs.
    ZenJellyTheocritus
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    edited January 2021

Blastoize said:

In depth character creator? I mean you can costumize your character so good, for example face and body but whats the point?

You put armor and you see nothing from your body, you put helmet you see bad face render and it is very small.

The point is customization... You can disable helmets in most MMO's, and most MMO's have outfits/cosmetic skins where your character creation options are on full display, Ashes of Creation has tons of cosmetics.
    ZenJellyScot[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    But has this been developed? "Our plan is to provide you with a rather in-depth character creator". How is this news, I don't think we should even be seeing these "roadmap" as news items, lets only have them about what they have developed so far.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    But has this been developed? "Our plan is to provide you with a rather in-depth character creator". How is this news, I don't think we should even be seeing these "roadmap" as news items, lets only have them about what they have developed so far.
    Agreed, news would be an actual reveal of their character creator, but they are just using simple presets for the start of Alpha.

Who here recalls this game was promised to be fully live...like a year or more ago....yet here we are, yet another indie MMORPG rolling along at a glacial pace.

2025 is the optimistic view...

ScotSlapshot1188Remali[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Rhoklaw said:
    While I understand everyone's less than optimistic views on crowdfunded MMO projects, but lets be honest. If any of the following, Pantheon / Crowfall / Camelot Unchained / Ashes of Creation are going to see the light of day any time in the near future, this one has the best chance by far.

I did back Pantheon first which is still in Pre Alpha, which is fine because they have had financial issues until recently. However, AoC isn't exactly in the same boat as any of the other projects in terms of finances. Then again, the scope of the game is akin to something like Star Citizen, which means that yes, finishing this project will take some time.

In the end, this is the only project showing any sort of real progress. While Pantheon is showing some progress, it has been slow, due to funds. As we've seen with New World, having funds doesn't exactly equate to a viable finished project making deadlines. You would think Amazon of all companies should be able to afford accurate timeframes for release, but how many times did that get delayed? 2? 3?

So, it's not that crowdfunded games are having issues. It would seem a lot of game developers are having issues, including CDPR and 2077. So let's stop pretending like AoC is the elephant in the room. Pretty sure Star Citizen with it's $300+ million and 8-10 year long trek only to be stuck in Alpha still is how we can gauge true crowdfunded progress, lol.
    1.  No... Crowfall will likely release before any of the others.  Whether it succeeds is a totally different question, but it will "see the light of day" first.

2. How do you know what the financial situation is for Ashes?  Because Stephen said something? 

3. The scope is nothing like Star Citizen.  Not even in the same ballpark.  Honestly though that is a good thing.

4. Pointing at the worst case (Star Citizen) and saying "Those guys are worse" is not exactly the way I would go about defending a game.

My take is that Ashes will release... years late... and likely disappoint a LOT of people. Right now it's still just intangible for most fans so they get to paint all their dreams on a somewhat empty canvas.  They do not notice that the guy on the left and the gal on the right also have dreams for the game and that those dreams conflict with theirs.  
    KyleranRemali

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited January 2021
    Blastoize said:

IT is probably the least important thing to me in a video game. The size of my earlobes, nostrils, and earholes just dont matter.....Like you said we put on a helmet and only see the back of our character anyway, so who cares about our features?
    KyleranAngryElf[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
    Blastoize said:

IT is probably the least important thing to me in a video game. The size of my earlobes, nostrils, and earholes just dont matter.....Like you said we put on a helmet and only see the back of our character anyway, so who cares about our features?
    Agreed, I usually just hit the automatic reroll button till I see a face or body type I like, maybe change the hair or eye colors and away I go.

I'd much rather have an armor polish setting...

[Deleted User]Theocritus

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RaysinBranRaysinBran Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The most important thing to me IS the character creation, but I’ve read the ACTUAL post by the devs not this shitty article and they are being extremely restrictive to player choice. I don’t play loli characters and I don’t usually play as women unless the class is locked, but they will have no lolis or “sexy” female outfits which will ostracize a huge portion of mmo players out there. I dislike when companies go out of the way to restrict player choice.

Kyleran said:

Blastoize said:

Agreed, I usually just hit the automatic reroll button till I see a face or body type I like, maybe change the hair or eye colors and away I go.

I'd much rather have an armor polish setting...

The most important thing to me IS the character creation, but I’ve read the ACTUAL post by the devs not this shitty article and they are being extremely restrictive to player choice. I don’t play loli characters and I don’t usually play as women unless the class is locked, but they will have no lolis or “sexy” female outfits which will ostracize a huge portion of mmo players out there. I dislike when companies go out of the way to restrict player choice.
    edited January 2021
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    While I understand everyone's less than optimistic views on crowdfunded MMO projects, but lets be honest. If any of the following, Pantheon / Crowfall / Camelot Unchained / Ashes of Creation are going to see the light of day any time in the near future, this one has the best chance by far.

I did back Pantheon first which is still in Pre Alpha, which is fine because they have had financial issues until recently. However, AoC isn't exactly in the same boat as any of the other projects in terms of finances. Then again, , which means that yes, finishing this project will take some time.

In the end, this is the only project showing any sort of real progress. While Pantheon is showing some progress, it has been slow, due to funds. As we've seen with New World, having funds doesn't exactly equate to a viable finished project making deadlines. You would think Amazon of all companies should be able to afford accurate timeframes for release, but how many times did that get delayed? 2? 3?

So, it's not that crowdfunded games are having issues. It would seem a lot of game developers are having issues, including CDPR and 2077. So let's stop pretending like AoC is the elephant in the room. Pretty sure Star Citizen with it's $300+ million and 8-10 year long trek only to be stuck in Alpha still is how we can gauge true crowdfunded progress, lol.
    1.  No... Crowfall will likely release before any of the others.  Whether it succeeds is a totally different question, but it will "see the light of day" first.

2. How do you know what the financial situation is for Ashes?  Because Stephen said something? 

3. The scope is nothing like Star Citizen.  Not even in the same ballpark.  Honestly though that is a good thing.

4. Pointing at the worst case (Star Citizen) and saying "Those guys are worse" is not exactly the way I would go about defending a game.

My take is that Ashes will release... years late... and likely disappoint a LOT of people. Right now it's still just intangible for most fans so they get to paint all their dreams on a somewhat empty canvas.  They do not notice that the guy on the left and the gal on the right also have dreams for the game and that those dreams conflict with theirs.  
    1. Releasing a buggy unfinished game just to be first doesn't really stand for anything. AoC could release tomorrow, but what would that prove? I'm talking about an actual game with all intended features being released.

2. If we want to argue that everyone is dishonest and that no one should have their word taken at face value, then let's do that. In which case, every game is a scam, so lets not support indie developers and continue enjoying the suck that is F2P Asian PvP games with P2W cash shops.

3. I didn't mean to say that AoC has the same scope of features as SC. I was simply implying that of all the fantasy crowdfunded MMOs in development, AoC is by far more feature rich and enticing than probably the rest of them combined.

4. What good does it do to point at any game or developer and claim they suck, especially when there are countless others doing far worse. I know AoC has had it's fair share of scrupulous shenanigans, but guess what, a majority of the money being spent is NOT crowd funded. This is clearly shown in the now decently paced progression of the game compared to it's competitors.

My take is AoC could release as intended, in less than 2 years. Considering Alpha starts this Spring, it's just a matter of creating the rest of the core features in time for beta testing. If AoC has the talent behind it, which in my opinion it does, I have higher expectations than that of Crowfall and I'm not the only one who thinks Crowfall is far from being considered beta.
    1.  Crowfall WILL launch with it's features and it's not very buggy at all.  Its just not fun.  YOU said "see light of day". No changing the goal posts. 

2. No.  You don't get to use that escape card either.  Pantheon says they have enough money now for a ramp to launch.  That's meaningless. YOU said that Ashes was in better financial shape than all the others. I asked if you only have Stephen's word to support that claim.  I guess that answer is yes. Talk is cheap.    

3. You LITERALLY said "the scope of the game is akin to something like Star Citizen"

4.  Well firstly how do you KNOW that?  Did Stephen release his sales numbers and expenses?  Secondly, as pointed out multiple times to you, two of the 3 games you listed (Crowfall and CU) actually are far more investor money than Crowdfunded. CU vastly so.  So what?

Crowfall is not fun.  I loaded it up today for the first time in months.  But to say "its not Beta" is ignorant.  It's also pointless.  This isnt about once again pointing to another game and saying "at least we are better than that guy".  Doesn't work when you do it to Star Citizen and it doesn't work when you do it to Crowfall.  This is about Ashes... a game that you have not played.  A game in which you have seen merely a few minutes of gameplay streams. A game that is sending out "intentions" to have in depth character creation as PR pieces... 

I will simply caution you again about pinning hopes and dreams on a game who's "alpha starts this spring" and you haven't even tried.  Maybe it will succeed.  Maybe it will work for some and not others.  My suspicion is that many, many people are going to be disappointed because right now its a blank slate that they get to imagine all their dreams on.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:

I did back Pantheon first which is still in Pre Alpha, which is fine because they have had financial issues until recently. However, AoC isn't exactly in the same boat as any of the other projects in terms of finances. Then again, , which means that yes, finishing this project will take some time.

1. Releasing a buggy unfinished game just to be first doesn't really stand for anything. AoC could release tomorrow, but what would that prove? I'm talking about an actual game with all intended features being released.

2. If we want to argue that everyone is dishonest and that no one should have their word taken at face value, then let's do that. In which case, every game is a scam, so lets not support indie developers and continue enjoying the suck that is F2P Asian PvP games with P2W cash shops.

3. I didn't mean to say that AoC has the same scope of features as SC. I was simply implying that of all the fantasy crowdfunded MMOs in development, AoC is by far more feature rich and enticing than probably the rest of them combined.

4. What good does it do to point at any game or developer and claim they suck, especially when there are countless others doing far worse. I know AoC has had it's fair share of scrupulous shenanigans, but guess what, a majority of the money being spent is NOT crowd funded. This is clearly shown in the now decently paced progression of the game compared to it's competitors.

My take is AoC could release as intended, in less than 2 years. Considering Alpha starts this Spring, it's just a matter of creating the rest of the core features in time for beta testing. If AoC has the talent behind it, which in my opinion it does, I have higher expectations than that of Crowfall and I'm not the only one who thinks Crowfall is far from being considered beta.
    1.  Crowfall WILL launch with it's features and it's not very buggy at all.  Its just not fun.  YOU said "see light of day". No changing the goal posts. 

2. No.  You don't get to use that escape card either.  Pantheon says they have enough money now for a ramp to launch.  That's meaningless. YOU said that Ashes was in better financial shape than all the others. I asked if you only have Stephen's word to support that claim.  I guess that answer is yes. Talk is cheap.    

3. You LITERALLY said "the scope of the game is akin to something like Star Citizen"

4.  Well firstly how do you KNOW that?  Did Stephen release his sales numbers and expenses?  Secondly, as pointed out multiple times to you, two of the 3 games you listed (Crowfall and CU) actually are far more investor money than Crowdfunded. CU vastly so.  So what?

Crowfall is not fun.  I loaded it up today for the first time in months.  But to say "its not Beta" is ignorant.  It's also pointless.  This isnt about once again pointing to another game and saying "at least we are better than that guy".  Doesn't work when you do it to Star Citizen and it doesn't work when you do it to Crowfall.  This is about Ashes... a game that you have not played.  A game in which you have seen merely a few minutes of gameplay streams. A game that is sending out "intentions" to have in depth character creation as PR pieces... 

I will simply caution you again about pinning hopes and dreams on a game who's "alpha starts this spring" and you haven't even tried.  Maybe it will succeed.  Maybe it will work for some and not others.  My suspicion is that many, many people are going to be disappointed because right now its a blank slate that they get to imagine all their dreams on.

You did a smash up job reporting on CoE, but right now, you're pulling stuff out of your derriere and your argument isn't any more valid than mine. Crowfall is a hot mess and has been for some time. Definitely not beta worthy.

Whatever reason you think Crowfall will fair better than AoC, I don't know, but I wish you luck with that venture.

Every game was a blank slate at some point, but I really don't think AoC is going to pull a New World and do a 180 halfway through development.
    You seem to be stuck on Crowfall for some reason.  It’s almost as though you didn’t read anything I posted.  What part of “It’s not fun”, which I posted numerous times in this thread alone makes it sound like I think it will fair well? 

Stop trying to deflect to other games. You do it constantly.  This isn’t about Crowfall, or Camelot unchained, or Star Citizen or even CoE.

“Those guy are worse” is not in any way, shape or form an effective rebuttal to criticism. 

As I said above:

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Wasn't this the MMO where they had an item about a new plant added to the landscape? People were up in arms about that but I had no issue with it, its been done, it looked good. I know some posters will be dismissive but lets see small advances like that rather than hearing about grands plans.
    Ok it’s like explaining to a wall.  Read what I posted and what you responded. Apples to giraffes.  You have fun.  Good luck when you actually get in and see the real game.

Hmm, what's that I smell, faith and hope maybe?

Like chumming the water for sharks....

Delicious.

:D 
    Slapshot1188

Kyleran said:
    Hmm, what's that I smell, faith and hope maybe?

Like chumming the water for sharks....

Delicious.

:D 
    “The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.”

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    "The latest round of Pantheon updates testifies to this. A game that sold itself as one thing, an old school "first gen like" MMO experience, has completely flip-flopped."

Is this true? They aren't making an EQ1 clone anymore?