Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Speed hacks and other hacks

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

One of my biggest fears is people using evil things like Speedhacks and other hacks in WvWvW.

Have we seen any of these during BWE?

Whats precautions is Anet taking against these, as they would surely ruin me PvP experience

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Hmm in my time (15 years) of mmo playing, i have encounterd little hackers.

They get reported / banned  very quickly,  unless you play WoW where you see an abundance of battleground botts on auto follow and mining bots.

But in general speed hacks are banned within 24 hours.

Its not as bad as in 1st person shooters who seem to be a hackers paradise with auto aim and have a 50/1 k/d ratio ;)

I say dont worry about it, iam sure Arenanet take care of those suckers :)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I can't answer your questions, but I doubt ANET will be any better and controlling hacks than other AAA MMOs.  It seems to rely on people being reported and a time consuming monitoring process.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

One of my biggest fears is people using evil things like Speedhacks and other hacks in WvWvW.

Have we seen any of these during BWE?

Whats precautions is Anet taking against these, as they would surely ruin me PvP experience

I was for around 5 hours in WvsWvsW at sunday and never came across any speed hack or any other ones.

Never saw anything similar in PvE either.

The only way we were boosting our speed were through my elementalist skills beind mixed with the mesmers speed skill in our team. :)

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

I saw a guy posting here couple months ago with links to youtube videos demonstrating all sorts of hacks for GW2.  I don't recall any of the specifics, but it looked functional.  Hope anything shady gets sniffed out by Anet.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

Well, as its too easy to ban a speedhacker (really, all you need to check is the speed target's travelling at compared to speed it has from buffs, you just log that and then find people who's speed greatly exceeds its "normal" value and thats your culprit). However, i heard that SWTOR had huge speedhacking problem in warzones, and they didnt get banned, dont know if its true. Me myself over a huge time spent in WoW PVP only saw a hacker once - he used wallhack (started playing AB 2 minutes before we could, and took three or so points for us), he admitted he was playing on stolen acc he didnt need anymore.

Not so easy to ban a mining bot or pvp bot (when i left cata, i found out they became quite intelligent, actually). But i wouldnt call them hacking, theyre more of a complimentary trainer software. Bots will be there, especially if it will be profitable to run a bot and then sell gold to players at a rate much cheaper than you'd get from ANet's gems. The only way they would really crash bots in this game is if it wouldnt, but this means ANed will have to probably drop gem prices or gem to gold conversion, which they probably wouldnt, and so bots will be there.

However, there are some positive points definetly going for GW2 when you think of it:

1) You dont need power-leveling. The fact you can sPVP or WvWvW right from level 2 means hardly anyone would like to pay to get to 80

2) You dont lose anything if bot mines your gathering node. Unlike WoW where bots teleport under the mining/herb node and get it and you cant even hit them.

3) If i understand their economy correct, bots farming gold to sell to people will make gold/gems rate go up, and so it will make people who legally buy gems get more gold for them, so in turn this will make it less profitable to buy from botters, so botters will gouge themselves.

PS: Now that you think of it, GW2 also has two negatives going its way as well:

1) Bots taking slots in WvWvW just to farm will be ridiculous. Hopefully that wont be profitable for them.

2) GW2 has no subs, so everbody's account is open to account compromise. In WoW they'd even reactivate stolen acc to take its goods, but here you can take anybody's acc, who isnt even playing so he wont check and find out his acc is stolen, and wont report it.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Hmm in my time (15 years) of mmo playing, i have encounterd little hackers.

They get reported / banned  very quickly,  unless you play WoW where you see an abundance of battleground botts on auto follow and mining bots.

But in general speed hacks are banned within 24 hours.

Its not as bad as in 1st person shooters who seem to be a hackers paradise with auto aim and have a 50/1 k/d ratio ;)

I say dont worry about it, iam sure Arenanet take care of those suckers :)

You must miss out on a lot of whats going on in a lot of games then. This is way more commen then people tend to notice.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Zooce

I saw a guy posting here couple months ago with links to youtube videos demonstrating all sorts of hacks for GW2.  I don't recall any of the specifics, but it looked functional.  Hope anything shady gets sniffed out by Anet.

if you talking about this teleport/ speedhack whatever thing it was fake running on gw2 server emu

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by saurus123

if you talking about this teleport/ speedhack whatever thing it was fake running on gw2 server emu

Sounds about right- I remember the towns were empty.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

This is what happens if you mess with Anet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B6bZSpQHxU

Anet already said that they will have something cool for those hackers in gw2 as well :P

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure they've anticipated there there will be hacking attempts, and thus have counter measures in place. Even more so since they've been thinking about esports.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Some hackers will sooner or later show up, but judging how ANET have handled it in GW I don´t think there will be any huge problems.

I havn´t seen any yet as well.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It was proven to be a fake back video composition. They claimed to use a EQ hackingtool for hacking GW2, they just said it worked out of the box, only naive people would believe such things.

Personally i think being B2P is a good thing, as they can bann everyone hacking and kill their accounts without loosing subscription money.  Tough those players could return, but at the cost at buying a new box.  After 3 times loosing $50 they should have learned not to hack.

If there are hackers, and GW2 has the tools to catch them, they will actually make money of them.

Originally posted by Loke666

Some hackers will sooner or later show up, but judging how ANET have handled it in GW I don´t think there will be any huge problems.

I havn´t seen any yet as well.

Actually there where supposed to be a lot of hacks in the GW1 single player part, and nothing ever happened to them, as there where no players around to notice them.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Bots will struggle with the issues of down-levelling an variable mob AI and dynamic combat. It all requires them to raise their game and be more complex in response.

I wouldn't worry about that for a while.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Personally i think being B2P is a good thing, as they can bann everyone hacking and kill their accounts without loosing subscription money.  Tough those players could return, but at the cost at buying a new box.  After 3 times loosing $50 they should have learned not to hack.

If there are hackers, and GW2 has the tools to catch them, they will actually make money of them.

Well business model really have nothing to do with it imho.  Whenever it is F2P, Freemium, B2P or P2P or something else.

GW2 also will get on-going revenue by microtransactions.  So banning is losing revenue from cash shop,  same as banning in p2p game lose subcription money and banning in D3 is losing fee from RMAH transactions.

In all those games players can get back by buying box or creating account and rebuying items or zone access in f2p or freemium.

Banning user ALWAYS can lead to losing revenue, but imho game companies should think that they have to do that becase if they dont they lose more legit players.

So players just have to have smaller tolerance for botting or hacking and actually leave or at least temporarly stop playing games if game developer is not doing enough to stop hackers, botters and cheaters.

Then it will work - no matter what business model is used to get on-going revenue.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

It was proven to be a fake back video composition. They claimed to use a EQ hackingtool for hacking GW2, they just said it worked out of the box, only naive people would believe such things.

(...)

Could you link to the proof either through here or forum PM?

• SophiaHarrisonSophiaHarrison Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited January 2021
    I see a lot of people who have used x8 speeder hacking software but do not see it banned despite notice and time limit.
    Post edited by SophiaHarrison on