Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: The Gates of Oblivion Reveal Impressions | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Elder Scrolls Online: The Gates of Oblivion Reveal Impressions | MMORPG.com

This past Tuesday, The Elder Scrolls Online held the global reveal event for this year's chapter story The Gates of Oblivion. While the reimagining of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion looks great is it enough to bring in new players and entice veterans to return.

Read the full story here

Comments

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Nice writeup. I would like to know more about the 2.0 system. I am worried it is dumbing down the game, but I don't know enough and I could be wrong.
  • VinsonnVinsonn Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited January 2021
    With the epic conclusion to The Dark Heart of Skyrim having taken place, adventurers can begin to set their eyes to Oblivion as Bethesda prepares for the official reveal of the next expansion ‘Gates of Oblivion’ for January 26th, 2021, on the official Bethesda channel on Twitch.

PupilPath
    Post edited by Vinsonn on
  • ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Like TheAmir my single biggest put-off is the lack of an AH (accessible to all) if you want to sell stuff.
    Tokken[Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Good article. It's nice to see someone who has actually played the game at a high level writing about it here - that's rare :)

Like you I've also played it on an off since launch. Sitting on 900+ CP as well.

The CP system badly needed a rework and this seems like a good way to fulfill its main function - provide post level 50 progression - without it being as game unbalancing as the CP 1.0 was.

It was honestly quite tiresome to see the constant barrage of nerfs introduced 4 times a year just to deal with the CP power creep. Looking forward CP 2.0 that seems to have the potential to do away with the power creep and its balancing results.

Hopefully next time I pick it up I'll last longer than the 3 months I played last year :)
    RexKushman[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• XevrinXevrin Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I can do a deep dive for the CP 2.0 system. I typically avoid the PTS but I will take a closer look if folks are interested.

As for the combat and auction house elements of ESO is not for everyone. I like both but do recognize how different they to other games I play/have played. For the guild merchants I like shopping around for deals at different vendors and being able to join multiple guilds with one or two being trade guilds when I am actively engaged in the market. Just a different kind of gameplay for me. (Though it can be tedious. big thanks to the active players for certain addons to make it bearable)
  • describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    edited January 2021
    Having beta tested both the PC and then console editions (and having fallen through tamriel enough times to sink a battleship). I'm optimistic, if anyone remembers the old veteran level grind (especially without the level increases from the sub), -shudders- And a new system is overdue by an expansion or two

the only thing i'm concerned about is that the companion system may replace any new class we could have had instead. Although there are still enough issues with the current classes, so hopefully they work on those (maybe certain animations of the dragonknight can finally be fixed.. i'm kidding, that's never going to happen).

I do wish they'd stop the new tutorial thing EVERY expansion, i mean if any new player is going to be put off, it isn't the tutorial. It's the size, scope and the amount of information that comes AFTER the tutorial. It isn't exactly seamless.
    [Deleted User]Xevrin

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Xevrin said:
    I can do a deep dive for the CP 2.0 system. I typically avoid the PTS but I will take a closer look if folks are interested.

I'd read that. :)
    [Deleted User]Xevrin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171

Having beta tested both the PC and then console editions (and having fallen through tamriel enough times to sink a battleship). I'm optimistic, if anyone remembers the old veteran level grind (especially without the level increases from the sub), -shudders- And a new system is overdue by an expansion or two

the only thing i'm concerned about is that the companion system may replace any new class we could have had instead. Although there are still enough issues with the current classes, so hopefully they work on those (maybe certain animations of the dragonknight can finally be fixed.. i'm kidding, that's never going to happen).

I do wish they'd stop the new tutorial thing EVERY expansion, i mean if any new player is going to be put off, it isn't the tutorial. It's the size, scope and the amount of information that comes AFTER the tutorial. It isn't exactly seamless.

The companion system likely put a hold on any new class or other system for this expansion. They put out plenty, and fairly often, so it may well happen yet.

There is a new tutorial system that will be introduced. There will still be a new one, but now players will be able to chose any of the existing starting tutorials rather than forced into the latest. Hopefully one of those options will be the original Cold Harbour one.

What wasn't done, but may appeal to some, is the option the to do the original content as one chooses and then complete each chapter in the order they were added, with the related starter quests inserted as appropriate. That would make for a more orderly story presentation for those that care about such.
  • pupilpathpupilpath Newbie CommonPosts: 1

It helped me on a current project, thank you!

Pupil Path

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    They haven't added a way to go through the story via a lore timeline yet? Good lord.