Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should there be a physical Hall of Fame for video games?

TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
edited January 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Baseball Hall of Fame, other sports.  Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

If done right, like a mecca.  I think an physical location interactive video game hall of fame that educates people about the breakthroughs required... would be a place I'd take people... plus play the games.

Then the debate starts, what games get in...

They could probably have space for big vendor events, game reveals, tournaments, to help fund (like E3).

PS I think there are now vastly more players of video games than watchers of any single US Sport.

You think Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc.. would sponsor some $$$?
Video Game Hall of Fame
  1. Would you go or recommend7 votes
    1. Yes
      42.86%
    2. No
      57.14%
AlBQuirky

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    No. It should all digital! :lol:

Actually, I'd like to see one. Put it in Silicon Valley where much about gaming was accomplished. Berkley, CA had a lot of input, as did northern California and Japan.

There is a National Video Game Museum in Frisco, TX.
    (http://www.nvmusa.org/)

I wonder if any "group of gamers" could agree on what should be displayed >)

ScotPo_gg

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Sure why not, but you are going to run into issues with genres, which have changed over the years. Hardly any awards do one for FPS, that must be a dirty word or something, one only got in the Peoples Choice (we don't chose the genres mind you) by being in the VR catergory.
    AlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited January 2021
    I wanted to say pretty much what Al did (NVGM's mention worth extra credit :) ).

Since video games are digital, it's more fitting to keep a digital museum, which also easier to curate and maintain, and even "visit" digitally.
    There are several projects already, both emulated or just keeping the original like NVGM.

There's however a physical side of gaming, the arcades/pinballs/etc. and also enthusiastic collectors of both consoles and PCs. I know a guy with almost all Nintendos (except maybe the very rare Japan-exclusive ones) for example, and I have a Pentium (as in the first gen, 586 :) 14" CRT, both 3.5 and 5.25 drives, etc.) with hundreds of DOS games on it, also a later Celeron (already in the GHz region lol) with the Win games pre-2000.

For the "could be events" notion, those are out there as well. I'm sure there's a lot others in the world but here's the "local" one, Arcadia, every year. 

Held by the Pinball Museum, but of course arcade machines are present as well, just as old consoles and MCs (ZX, Commodore), with the goal of young ones could put their hands on old games, in the flesh. With the old joysticks, controllers, etc.
    (on that year covered in the article, when Livingstone was present, there was an extra section about CYOA books too and a great podium conversation and a Q&A with him)
    AlBQuirky
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    How about a compromise? A VR Hall of Fame. This would open up the possibilities as to how things are presented/consumed and the interactivity of it all. I suppose there'd be nothing stopping a physical, digital, and full VR experience from existing at the same time.

Just looking around for a "proof of concept" and it looks like there are some neat ideas out there like New Retro Arcade: https://store.steampowered.com/app/465780/New_Retro_Arcade_Neon/. Haven't tried it personally, so not sure how the implementation fares, but seems well reviewed and along the lines of a "personal HoF"

I suppose the inevitable next step would be periodic "Induction Ceremonies" along with an eventual cash shop/microtransactions. :P
    AlBQuirky

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    remsleep said:
    No there should not be.

The existing halls of fame are already an idea whose time has passed, why add more?

I agree, but not sure for the same reasons.

This day and age too many so called hero's in sports for everything.... It's to the point no one is a hero. 
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I forgot to add... Is anyone else NOT seeing the radial buttons to vote?
    Mendel

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Scot said:
    Sure why not, but you are going to run into issues with genres, which have changed over the years. Hardly any awards do one for FPS, that must be a dirty word or something, one only got in the Peoples Choice (we don't chose the genres mind you) by being in the VR catergory.

Kinda like the problems the Rock and Roll hall of fame had.
    ScotAlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    AlBQuirky said:
    I forgot to add... Is anyone else NOT seeing the radial buttons to vote?
    I cannot see the buttons to vote and I DO think there should be some physical museum that people can visit.
    MendelAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm going to say "no" (can't seem to vote), I would neither go nor recommend.

A physical museum, sure, but not a hall of fame.

Halls of fame are, fundamentally, about celebrity and popularity. I don't want either of those things to be something that studios or publishers start chasing, but I also don't think it is something that is really applicable to the industry. Sports halls of fame may be more about achievement than celebrity, but achievements in gaming are much harder to compare than sports. Was it harder for id Software to develop first person graphics on PC, or was it harder for NVidea to figure out ray tracing? Just impossible to compare

MendelSovrathsunnyortegoAlBQuirky
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I don't know exactly how I voted.  The submit button worked, but there weren't any choices.

I don't think that would actually work well.  Just look at how fractious this small community is over simply defining genres and deciding what game goes in what category.  In the end, I fear the mobile games would squash all the competition.  Do I want to live in a world where the best games are Candy Crush, Candy Crush 3, Candy Crush 2, Candy Crush 4?  They're all a bunch of /gems wannabes.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I'm going to say "no" (can't seem to vote), I would neither go nor recommend.

A physical museum, sure, but not a hall of fame.

Halls of fame are, fundamentally, about celebrity and popularity. I don't want either of those things to be something that studios or publishers start chasing, but I also don't think it is something that is really applicable to the industry. Sports halls of fame may be more about achievement than celebrity, but achievements in gaming are much harder to compare than sports. Was it harder for id Software to develop first person graphics on PC, or was it harder for NVidea to figure out ray tracing? Just impossible to compare

Yeah, even better, physical museum.

I love museums and prior to Covid, would go to our local museums several times per year. Not only to they have exhibits or places you can view "whatever" they also have special events, classes, concerts, mixers.

All for it.
    MendelAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    No there should not be.

The existing halls of fame are already an idea whose time has passed, why add more?

I agree, but not sure for the same reasons.

This day and age too many so called hero's in sports for everything.... It's to the point no one is a hero. 

Heroes are an illusion - only a matter of time before every hero is shown to also have disappointing and negative sides as well.

Hence the saying "never meet your heroes/idols" - once you do the illusion fades quickly.

So no - we should not believe in heroes - we should be inspired and believe in heroic acts and principles instead.

But yeah hero worship is a road to ruin.

AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I would visit it.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If you do a physical museum, that would be great.  Imagine!  A copy of every single pinball, carnival and arcade game ever made?  Imagine barkers crowding a main hall, shouting  "Rows of SkeeBall machines as far as the eye can see!  Right this way!  Due to Covid, admission to the Hall of Ms. PacMan will be limited to 2500 people today.  May we suggest visiting the Galaga Exhibit or the Williams Brothers Shrine instead?  Be sure to purchase your noise cancelling earphones before you experience the International History of Pachinko.  Only $5 dollars next to the every token machine!"

Obviously it wouldn't include consoles or computer games; someone would complain that their Coleco Adam wasn't there.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.