Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LOTRO bundle lowers cost of entry

2»

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    blamo2000 said:
    Ungood said:
    I find it funny that people talk about needing to have everything on day one, I mean, this is a legit question, do people walk into a game like GW2 and wonder how much it will cost to have everything in the game?

I hope Frodo explains why he gave a WTF to you.  Your argument makes perfect sense, as well as your analogies.

I already did.  I certainly research games in general before diving in with a purchase.  I have no doubt many others do as well.  It's super easy on steam to see what kind of DLC you still need to buy.  And almost everyone I know looks at that DLC list as well as reviews.

I'd say the minority of people just impulse buy or start MMOs with no research.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    blamo2000 said:
    Ungood said:
    I find it funny that people talk about needing to have everything on day one, I mean, this is a legit question, do people walk into a game like GW2 and wonder how much it will cost to have everything in the game?

I hope Frodo explains why he gave a WTF to you.  Your argument makes perfect sense, as well as your analogies.

I already did.  I certainly research games in general before diving in with a purchase.  I have no doubt many others do as well.  It's super easy on steam to see what kind of DLC you still need to buy.  And almost everyone I know looks at that DLC list as well as reviews.

While I agree, very few will just jump blindly into an MMO, when I was playing GW2, I was in one of those noobie feeder guilds, and we would hang around starter zones and invite people, and one of the most common questions we would get asked was if the HoT expansion was worth buying right now. 

Most of us told them "Wait till you are 80th, before you think about that" and we said that, not because it was a bad expansion (while some of us hated it with a burning passion) the motive behind saying "Wait" was simply because they as players were not ready for the content, so there was no reason for them to buy something like that at the start of the game. I mean reality check, they might not like the game enough to even bother to make it to 80th, so why worry about it at the start?

Same could be said for LoTRO, as opposed to worrying about buying everything day 1, why don't you first play the game, see if you even like it, and as far as content goes, cross that bridge when you get to it.

I mean really, what's the worst that happens, you discover you like the game and OMFG you will want to spend some money on it? NOOOOOOOOOOO! 
    TheocritusPo_ggProfGetz
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited January 2021
    Ungood said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Ungood said:

While I agree, very few will just jump blindly into an MMO, when I was playing GW2, I was in one of those noobie feeder guilds, and we would hang around starter zones and invite people, and one of the most common questions we would get asked was if the HoT expansion was worth buying right now. 

Most of us told them "Wait till you are 80th, before you think about that" and we said that, not because it was a bad expansion (while some of us hated it with a burning passion) the motive behind saying "Wait" was simply because they as players were not ready for the content, so there was no reason for them to buy something like that at the start of the game. I mean reality check, they might not like the game enough to even bother to make it to 80th, so why worry about it at the start?

Same could be said for LoTRO, as opposed to worrying about buying everything day 1, why don't you first play the game, see if you even like it, and as far as content goes, cross that bridge when you get to it.

I mean really, what's the worst that happens, you discover you like the game and OMFG you will want to spend some money on it? NOOOOOOOOOOO! 
    Well I tried AoC when it went F2P and quit partway when I realized what was still locked.  But I think you are underestimating how many people look into MMO's cost wise before diving in.  Especially in terms of total cost of content plus what's locked behind a sub.

GW2 is pretty different as there is never a sub.  I played it on launch without having played GW1.  But I knew what the monetization was and I liked what I saw before playing.

Gdemami
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    blamo2000 said:
    I often kick myself for not buying into the $200 life long subscription for either LotRO and DDO.  What a deal that ended up being for people.

I played in beta so I had a pretty good idea of what i would get....i looked hard at that, but then realized I most likely would only play 6 months tops, and that was about how long I played.....The game was too quest driven for my tastes and I found it boring in a short amount of time....Even now that it is (kind of) free I don't really have any interest in it.
    Ungood said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Ungood said:

Well I tried AoC when it went F2P and quit partway when I realized what was still locked.  But I think you are underestimating how many people look into MMO's cost wise before diving in.  Especially in terms of total cost of content plus what's locked behind a sub.

GW2 is pretty different as there is never a sub.  I played it on launch without having played GW1.  But I knew what the monetization was and I liked what I saw before playing.

To be honest, I had no idea what GW2 monetization system was going to be when I went in. I looked for a game I wanted to play first, everything else second. They made a fuss that you would get the whole game for free and there was never going to be a sub, and I legit wondered how on this earth they were ever going to make bank.

Turns out Cosmetics and Loot Boxes.

So.. you RNG Loot Boxes.

Good to know.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Torval said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Ungood said:

I do total cost of play research too, but I'd say we're in the minority. I have a feeling most people just jump in willy nilly without thinking anything through.
    I believe I am not alone in the fact that I've loaded up many games, a great many games over the years, that I could barely got out of the tutorial before I quit, or played for a bit and we like Meh.

I mean, personally, and this is just me, but I don't see what it would have profited me to waste time looking over how much all those various 1 hour wonder MMO's would have cost me to buy the whole game, when I didn't even enjoy playing it for that whole 1 hour.

I legit think I would have ended up spending more time trying to figure out the "total cost of the game" then I took realizing I don't like it by playing it.

At the same time, if I really loved a game, I can't imagine breaking out the calculator and looking up how much I would have to spend to own all the parts of the game, and using that as a justification if I wanted to keep playing it.

But, When people ask me what went wrong with MMO's.. I think this just exposed the pinpoint of the problem.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    LoTR players, I'm just curious how long it would take the average new gamer to play through all that content?

My point being, if the old content takes several months to play through at a $15 sub.... plus people might buy stuff in the cash shop (and the new expac)... why turn off potential players by charging for it?  
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited January 2021
    FrodoFragins said:  Well I tried AoC when it went F2P and quit partway when I realized what was still locked.  
    Age of Conan?  I was there were it went F2p too, just what did you find 'still locked'?
    Po_gg

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    It ain't underestimating, I'm sure there's a lot, but it has nothing to do with this issue.
    My problem is not with measuring up the costs, I used to do that as well. The problem is the actual schedule of that cost, in comparison of how new gamers' attention span is shorter than butterflies' - no offense to butterflies...

So, "the upfront cost is too high", can be a valid argument. But in LotRO's case it ain't that, it's beyond a bunch of IF statements...
    if it runs well the first place:
      if the gfx ain't too outdated:
         if the combat ain't boring to their action-maniac tastes:
            if they even stay in the game for a month (see, attention span):
              if still like the game and want to continue:
                start thinking on the cost/bundles/monetisation
    Until all those ain't met, any cost-related questions are moot. Or,
    Ungood said:
    As for AoC, maybe you're mixing it with the unlimited trial? That came first, and it indeed was locked into Tortage.
    The actual f2p, while wasn't a too friendly model at start, was in the SWTOR mindset, content was open (minus RotGS), and plenty of character/gameplay restrictions "urged" you to subscribe.
    LoTR players, I'm just curious how long it would take the average new gamer to play through all that content?

My point being, if the old content takes several months to play through at a $15 sub.... plus people might buy stuff in the cash shop (and the new expac)... why turn off potential players by charging for it?  
    It varies, even average players go at different speeds, based on how much time they spend on exploring, crafting, deeds, etc.
    From a leveling spree event I've heard of (was before Morgul's release, which is fortunate since this new expansion bundle only goes up till Mordor), a veteran player with purely leveling in focus, using XP boosters, etc. could clear the content in about 1.5 months.

It's safe to say you can consider that as the lower treshold. For a new, and averge player... I'd say half a year, to one year is a good enough guess.
    (if there's any left :)  I seriously doubt anyone interested in LotRO hasn't tried it already)
    edited January 2021
    Nebless said:
    FrodoFragins said:  Well I tried AoC when it went F2P and quit partway when I realized what was still locked.  
    Age of Conan?  I was there were it went F2p too, just what did you find 'still locked'?
    I think I was about 2/3 through the leveling process and saw this huge wall(asian motifs?).  I think I said in chat, "I can't wait to see what's behind that" and they said oh you can't see that unless you buy the expansion.  I was already mostly bored so I quit.  Tortage was such false advertising, but I knew that going in.

There were probably other things I'm not remembering.
    Gdemami
    edited January 2021
    I think I was about 2/3 through the leveling process and saw this huge wall(asian motifs?).  I think I said in chat, "I can't wait to see what's behind that" and they said oh you can't see that unless you buy the expansion.
    Yep, that's pretty much the same as your SWTOR, content is open, minus the last expansion. And at that time RotGS was the last (as in, the only one) expansion :)

However the analog stops there, since there were smaller expansions later, and still you have to buy all of them for the access. At least they're pretty cheap and often on sale.
    Po_gg said:
    It ain't underestimating, I'm sure there's a lot, but it has nothing to do with this issue.
    My problem is not with measuring up the costs, I used to do that as well. The problem is the actual schedule of that cost, in comparison of how new gamers' attention span is shorter than butterflies' - no offense to butterflies...

So, "the upfront cost is too high", can be a valid argument. But in LotRO's case it ain't that, it's beyond a bunch of IF statements...
    if it runs well the first place:
      if the gfx ain't too outdated:
         if the combat ain't boring to their action-maniac tastes:
            if they even stay in the game for a month (see, attention span):
              if still like the game and want to continue:
                start thinking on the cost/bundles/monetisation
    Until all those ain't met, any cost-related questions are moot. Or,
    Ungood said:
    As for AoC, maybe you're mixing it with the unlimited trial? That came first, and it indeed was locked into Tortage.
    The actual f2p, while wasn't a too friendly model at start, was in the SWTOR mindset, content was open (minus RotGS), and plenty of character/gameplay restrictions "urged" you to subscribe.
    Turbine was the ground breaker for making an MMO F2P, so much so, that the system was originally called "The Turbine Model"

edited January 2021
    Po_gg said:
    I think I was about 2/3 through the leveling process and saw this huge wall(asian motifs?).  I think I said in chat, "I can't wait to see what's behind that" and they said oh you can't see that unless you buy the expansion.
    Yep, that's pretty much the same as your SWTOR, content is open, minus the last expansion. And at that time RotGS was the last (as in, the only one) expansion :)

However the analog stops there, since there were smaller expansions later, and still you have to buy all of them for the access. At least they're pretty cheap and often on sale.
    well except you can't see those planets :)

Anyway, you should stop trying to convince me that SWTORs model is somehow worse than LOTROs.  It's never going to happen.  And you'll just end up annoying me enough to block you.
    GdemamiPo_gg
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Po_gg said:

Anyway, you should stop trying to convince me that SWTORs model is somehow worse than LOTROs.  It's never going to happen.  And you'll just end up annoying me enough to block you.
    Well, at least we can all agree that SWTOR is a much worse game then LOTRO is  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Po_ggUngoodFrodoFragins
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited January 2021

Fair point, but since the Gateway is open to all, it'd be hard to hide away the Wall bordering it :) 

Better, worse, those are subjective to the player's preferences and style. It's quite difficult to convince anyone against their personal tastes - luckily it ain't the point (unless there was a severe loss in translation...), but that the two are different.

Turbine focused on monetising the content, while games after gave the content (or most of it) for free and tried to get the money elsewhere, and after them games gave away more and more for free beyond the content, to compete.

That's why the whole "boo the barrier of entry, look at all the other games they give it for free" whine is pointless, the model was built with different priorities.
    It ain't something they can change without rebuilding the entire model, since every element other games restrict or monetise (instead of the content), can be unlocked here for good with a simple, 1 month sub.

And why should they change at all? LotRO is f2p since 10 years now, DDO 11 years, while a bunch of other games were cancelled, or changed/adjusted their models frequently to compete. (SWTOR had how many, 4-5 f2p model revamps since the switch?) SSG too made some changes in the recent years, for the worse might I add, but none of those changes affected the core of the model: the heavy lean on content selling.

(I personally like it more than SWTOR's, but that ain't news, it was my hands down favourite f2p model until the Mordor changes. You prefer the other, good for you, we won't argue on that, to each their own...
    Block list is a nice place however, I wish someone could figure out a guaranteed route to our resident LOL count generator's blocked list... :) )
    GdemamiUngood
    lahnmir said:
    Po_gg said:

Well, at least we can all agree that SWTOR is a much worse game then LOTRO is  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Well considering I have a LOTRO lifetime sub and almost never play BUT do spend money on SWTOR each year, I'd say we disagree.

SSG's constant need to screw the players screams of the desperation of a developer that killed themselves.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    blamo2000 said:
    I often kick myself for not buying into the $200 life long subscription for either LotRO and DDO.  What a deal that ended up being for people.

I played in beta so I had a pretty good idea of what i would get....i looked hard at that, but then realized I most likely would only play 6 months tops, and that was about how long I played.....The game was too quest driven for my tastes and I found it boring in a short amount of time....Even now that it is (kind of) free I don't really have any interest in it.
    LotRO?  Or DDO?  (both are definitely quest driven).  Both have changed dramatically since release.  I did not like DDO when it first came out.  After the expansion that added the Forgotten Realm world and the skill trees, I went back and tried it and absolutely fell in love.  It went from a game I didn't enjoy to one I couldn't get enough of.

If you haven't played either since early release, you may want to download and try to see if you enjoy what each now offer.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:
    Po_gg said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Well considering I have a LOTRO lifetime sub and almost never play BUT do spend money on SWTOR each year, I'd say we disagree.

SSG's constant need to screw the players screams of the desperation of a developer that killed themselves.
    My biggest regret in gaming is not getting a lifetime sub for LOTRO.
    My second biggest regret is buying the SWTOR collectors edition.

Different strokes for different folks, it’s what keeps things interesting.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Po_gg
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited January 2021
    Torval said:
    Po_gg said:
    Yep, that's pretty much the same as your SWTOR, content is open, minus the last expansion. And at that time RotGS was the last (as in, the only one) expansion

You only need to sub currently to get access and keep it. I haven't bought an expac for SWTOR in years. You keep saying this but that isn't my experience at all.
    I was talking about AoC... maybe the issue is indeed with the lack of my expression skills? What I tried to say is:

The analog stops there, since AoC had smaller expansions after the f2p switch, and unlike SWTOR you have to buy all of them for the access.

Since before that column the subject was RotGS (AoC) in the previous sentence, I thought it's obvious the expansions and access buying automatically applies to AoC as well. Apologies, my bad. Grammar ain't my strong suit apparently :)

See, on that I fully agree.
    lahnmir said:
    I can top that (though maybe not the second biggest regret), since I've bought two boxes...
    The owner of it (was a gift) stopped after the included subscription went off, and never looked back since :) 

At least I still used to play sometimes, hence not the second biggest regret.

ed. wait, my bad again, just saw Frodo's reply, collector was the big box.. I just had two preordered copies with some goodies, maybe $80 each or something. Not that expensive version, KotOR and Bioware or not, I wasn't that much of a fan :)
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    Po_gg said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Different strokes for different folks, it’s what keeps things interesting.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I'm pretty sure I got it $100 cheaper a year later.  I tried it for free right before it launched and decided it wasn't worth the $300 risk considering it hadn't launched yet.  But at $200 I had no issues buying it.
    Po_gg
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    How can you lower cost of entry for a F2P game?
    Explained in article.

The entire premise of F2P model was to make cost of entry $0 - so that anyone could try the game.

Lowering the cost of entry for a F2P game is hence impossible - unless we were getting paid just to try the game, which is not the case here.

So they are not really lowering the "cost of entry", but rather "after entry"
    Not going to argue with someone who wants to play word games.  Read the article or don't, fuck if I care.
    UngoodGdemami