Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Riddance.

2»

Comments

• NaturallyNaturally Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by nthnaoun

Originally posted by Naturally
    I've known a lot of people who played Lineage 2 and hated it. Why would you want to waste 1 year of your pathetic life just to get to the action. This is why SB is great, you dont HAVE to spend 1 year to get anywhere in the game, you can get to the fun stuff fast and easy. Permadeath will be the permadeath of the game and by god i hope you dont have to spend 1 year leveling just to lose a whole year of work for dieing once.

I won't argue with you there. I went back to DAoC. My point was that SB is not "the" most hardcore PvP game that these people are saying it is. Lineage 2 is more hardcore and even then, a game isn't hardcore PvP in my book unless you can lose your character in it, hence permadeath. When you make the griefers think twice about killing someone, because they might die instead, that is hardcore. But for now, losing levels is about as hardcore as you can get. Lineage 2 has this, does SB? Just because a game has open PvP and ganking/greifing does not make it hardcore. Only real pain in massive amounts of loss time is hardcore PvP, whether it be permadeath or the ability to lose levels.

Perma death does sound like a great idea in that matter. I would just hate losing all my hard work hah. My problem with WoW is there is NO penalty whatsoever for getting killed, and when you kill someone you know their going to respawn in 30 seconds with no penalty so what is the point. There just isn't very much gratification in owning someone in WoW IMO. It will be nice to see how the permadeath idea works out, I would be willing to give it a try.

hack (hak) n., A clever solution to an interesting problem.

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

Perma death does sound like a great idea in that matter. I would just hate losing all my hard work hah. My problem with WoW is there is NO penalty whatsoever for getting killed, and when you kill someone you know their going to respawn in 30 seconds with no penalty so what is the point. There just isn't very much gratification in owning someone in WoW IMO. It will be nice to see how the permadeath idea works out, I would be willing to give it a try.

The idea of permadeath sounded good to me too, so I preordered the game a few months ago. I probably won't play it now, because of the lack of communication and I'm not crazy about the artwork either.

But the game boasts everything SB does now, plus the permadeath system, which only applies to the "main" characters in the game. There are "main" who are the hero's and "regular" who are the normal characters. Mains will be stronger, more powerful, and will advance faster and farther than a regular can, but the downside is permadeath if you get killed. There are ways to redeem yourself once your killed to give your character a second chance, but it is not guaranteed.

For more information you should visit their website. You can find the link in the "links" section of The Chronicle on this website.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by Domesto

This game was crap from the start and still is crap all the way up till the end. Bugs, sb.exes, lag, hacks, dev corruption, items/weapons deleted, city buildings/walls disappearing, etc, etc, etc. I think the only people that are left playing it and still giving it praise are the 25 people at wolfpack and their friends/family. Seriously, I wouldn't even put Wolfpack on your resumes Devs. This game was a disgrace. I had high hopes for Shadowbane at one time (Open PvP, city building/sieging, etc), but man, what a let down. The people that developed and managed shadowbane failed miserably. JMHO.

if JMHO means "just my humble opinion"; then, i do not think humble means what you think it means.  not by a long shot.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• AwakenedAwakened Member UncommonPosts: 595

Hey I got an idea, let's rehash the shit that's been said everday for the last 3 years.

Facts:

Shadowbane was origonally programmed by newbie devs, and as a result, there were a lot of problems at release that destryod it's long-term potential as a large-scale siege MMORPG.

Ubi hired some experienced devs to work on the game and overtime have worked out most of the known lag issues, mem leaks, exploits, etc...

Shadowbane has had two or three devs working on it for the last year or more and that's it, despite that, there's been a good bit of content additions to the game.

Ganking is a small part of Shadowbane, and people that measure a game's PvP worth based on griefing aspects are not properly evaluating the game as a whole.

Shadowbane is not a crafting game or grinding game, instead of trying to make a game something it's not, focus on enjoying what it is.  It's still more fun than any other MMORPG out there - I've beta tested 11 games since I started SB about 3 years ago and have yet to find any that appeal to me the way SB does.  What it lacks in PvE depth, it makes up for in PvP execution.

What greater tribute to free will than the power to question the highest of authority? What greater display of loyalty than blind faith? What greater gift than free will? What greater love than loyalty?

• AwakenedAwakened Member UncommonPosts: 595

The idea of permadeath sounded good to me too, so I preordered the game a few months ago. I probably won't play it now, because of the lack of communication and I'm not crazy about the artwork either.

But the game boasts everything SB does now, plus the permadeath system, which only applies to the "main" characters in the game. There are "main" who are the hero's and "regular" who are the normal characters. Mains will be stronger, more powerful, and will advance faster and farther than a regular can, but the downside is permadeath if you get killed. There are ways to redeem yourself once your killed to give your character a second chance, but it is not guaranteed.

For more information you should visit their website. You can find the link in the "links" section of The Chronicle on this website.

Permadeath is not a new idea, but it is a bad one.

SB has made a reputation has a great PvP game because it suites both hardcore and casual PvPers.  People talk about how hardcore it is and then compare it to other PvP games.  People are forgetting that the casual PvPer makes up 70% of the SB playerbase, and casual PvPers don't like permadeath or losing lvls when they die.  You can't build a game for powergamers and expect it to succeed (at least not greatly).

What greater tribute to free will than the power to question the highest of authority? What greater display of loyalty than blind faith? What greater gift than free will? What greater love than loyalty?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by Awakened

Hey I got an idea, let's rehash the shit that's been said everday for the last 3 years.
    Facts:
    Shadowbane was origonally programmed by newbie devs, and as a result, there were a lot of problems at release that destryod it's long-term potential as a large-scale siege MMORPG.
    Ubi hired some experienced devs to work on the game and overtime have worked out most of the known lag issues, mem leaks, exploits, etc...
    Shadowbane has had two or three devs working on it for the last year or more and that's it, despite that, there's been a good bit of content additions to the game.
    Ganking is a small part of Shadowbane, and people that measure a game's PvP worth based on griefing aspects are not properly evaluating the game as a whole.
    Shadowbane is not a crafting game or grinding game, instead of trying to make a game something it's not, focus on enjoying what it is.  It's still more fun than any other MMORPG out there - I've beta tested 11 games since I started SB about 3 years ago and have yet to find any that appeal to me the way SB does.  What it lacks in PvE depth, it makes up for in PvP execution.

i just want to add a thought or two to this post.

pve.  why do you pve? 

pvp.  why do you pvp?

on and off i've played wow since beta and have leveled a few toons to 60.  the past few times i've restarted my sub to wow, i've almost immediately gone into pvp.  the queues for the battlegrounds are ridiculously long, so i'll join a pug, or an instance with my guild, with them knowing that as soon as the queue for the BG comes up - i'm gone.

everything i do in wow is geared towards pvp.  even on roleplay or pve/normal servers.  if i grind levels, it's because my toon just hit lvl 20, and is now in the 20-29 bracket and i want a few levels so i can be competitive in this bracket.

when cov came out, COx now had pvp areas.  don't bother wasting your time.  they are a total and complete joke and afterthought.  this includes base-raiding.  but at least, they're there.

while i want to think of myself as a pve'er, i just keep finding myself looking for the pvp content in a game.

UO, before the introduction of the carebear pvp-free lands, was great fun.  back in the day, pvp'ing pretty much any and every where non stop, yeah, that was mad fun. 

graphics get my attention immediately.  if they suck, i don't want to spend a few hundred arrows wishing they didn't suck.

then i'll play a bit.  if the pve environment is nothing but mindless grind (which it is in many games); i'm looking for the pvp.

now here's something to think about.   say you're in a mega-guild in wow/eq/etc.  your purpose for being in a large group such as that is so that you can have enough comrades to do the 40-man, day+ (real time) instance against some big bad.

from what i've seen of shadowbane, you're in a megaguild so that you can fight, win, and dominate.  the loreplay server (possibly plural), reacts to battles fought, won, lost and the ingame environ changes based upon player wars.

i hate hate hate to say it, but even the wife, if she's playing wow, she's queued up for a battleground and just messing around until the BG comes up.  from what i'm reading and what little i've played, shadowbane seems to have the pvp capabilities that we wished UO had (when it'd first come out).

so just wondering... do you see yourself getting more enjoyment from spending 8-30 hours grouped with 40 guildmates to fight the same old big bads (who, after a few runs, become farmable, so now it's just a matter of your guild doing the same instances over and again so everyone can get the good items) --- ORRRRRRRRRR ---  do you see yourself looking forward to fighting other players, your guild vs another guild. 

just some stuff to think about, in what you're looking for in a game. 

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• aeyeawsaeyeaws Member Posts: 1

"   I was a big time carebear... I came out a killer ^_^   "       

Oh   , lol   i thought you said       i came out an asskisser   on first  cursory read, lol

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I had followed this game from about a year before beta (before there were even any screenshots) up until my first day of joining beta.

All I have to say is that this game really disappointed me. I consider it a stain on the MMO landscape. I don't begrudge the devs for trying a style of gameplay, we need people trying out things. However, their execution on just about everything was (I felt) horrible.

So I too say 'Good Riddance'.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

it didn't go anywhere

its not for everyone by any means, but lots of us love it.  from release to the present, its only improved.

• DomestoDomesto Member Posts: 110

And I still feel the same. These developers make the top 3 on worst developers ever list.

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

And still to this day, no mmo comes as close to being the first good mmo as Shadowbane does.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686
    Originally posted by Maverick827

I would normally argue with you; presenting my argument and, undoubtedly, make you look like the biggest moron on the face of the planet.  I would mock your knowledge, or the lack there of, of video games and the principals of why Shadowbane was not a failure.  But I wont; it's just not worth it.  You're too far gone, and I hope one day you learn just how wrong you are.

sums it up

I play all ghame

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by ghoul31

Thats why you have high lvl people in your guild guarding lower lvl people. Thats why you have people with track, to warn u of enemies approaching.
    It is very easy to avoid being ganked in this game, if you know what you are doing.
    But most people are too dumb to realize this. They think this is EQ. They think they can just sit out in the open all day and nobody will ever attack them.

Simply amazing.

Yeah... call them "too stupid" for not knowing the nuances of the game's mechanics from the moment they start playing. That'll bring new players flooding in.

Even with SB being all but dead, this brash and dismissive attitude is still thrown around at its potential new players. With the hostility I see displayed here and on the official forums, one might almost think some of you people *don't* want the game to do better or attract new players.

If you want the game to continue with a mostly stagnant population of existing and/or long-time players and very little new blood... keep it up. Keep bashing new or unfamiliar players with that kind of dismissive hostility. It's done a wonderful job at helping to keep the game's already low population down... maybe, if you really keep at it, you and others like you will succeed at turning new players away completely.

Unbelievable.

Also can't help but chuckle when people make a comparison to another game, like EQ... as though that's an insult. You people should *wish* SB had EQ's numbers... The game would actually still be making money and probably in much better shape.

L2 is another example. Some love to knock on that game... If SB had even 1/10th of L2's live population - (ie. not including RMT botters) -  SB would undoubtedly be in *much* better shape than it is now.

Once again.. instead of knocking the game.. maybe you should be wondering why 4 years into its life span, L2 still has an active playerbase, is still being developed/updated and, of course, is still making money, while SB continues to flounder... *Especially* if SB is supposedly so superior. The last thing you should be doing is knocking it.

In all, SB is no where near so great, nor even within range of being successful enough a game to justify all the chest-pounding some of you display about it on a regular basis. Not even close.

Seriously.. it's all well and good that you all love the game and consider it the best MMO you've played. I respect that and agree that SB has some good things going for it - like its character development system.

But let's keep some perspective okay? SB is hardly in any kind of position to  be slamming other games that are doing far better. The degree of blissful ignorance displayed by some here is incredible

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by Azrayel

Shadowbane was great for what it was/is.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but the concept appealed to those of us who are hardcore PvPers and want a real impact on the world via city building/sieging, etc.  If they were ever to make another SB type of game, with better implementation, coding, and graphics, I'd be playing it for life.
    Ganking is not hardcore PvP. Hardcore PvP won't exist until The Chronicle comes out with their permadeath system.

Any game can have a perma-death system. Just delete your character when you die and start over.

Voila.. Permadeath :)

That said... There are a bunch of reasons why perma-death in a MMORPG is, at best, an iffy idea. Think of all the reasons a player might die that are completely out of their control - lag, game crashing (the server usually keeps you logged in for some time before it realizes you're no longer there), power-failure (same as previous) and many other reasons.

In short... PCs, and the circumstances they often run into are far too quirky. Few people would be very happy to log back in after their game client crashes to find possible months of successful survival wasted because they crashed in the middle of a fight and had to start over.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• rytif86rytif86 Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Azrayel

Shadowbane was great for what it was/is.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but the concept appealed to those of us who are hardcore PvPers and want a real impact on the world via city building/sieging, etc.  If they were ever to make another SB type of game, with better implementation, coding, and graphics, I'd be playing it for life.
    Ganking is not hardcore PvP. Hardcore PvP won't exist until The Chronicle comes out with their permadeath system.

Any game can have a perma-death system. Just delete your character when you die and start over.

Voila.. Permadeath :)

I was just thinking to myself one day, how stupid and idiotic that sounds. It's like saying, "I lost this game, but wait I can change the tide and say I won and therefore I'll never lose!". Do you see the flaw in your simple retarded logic? People will not delete their character to create a permadeath system, it is stupid because these people must face defeat in order to do so. Last I checked, defeat was a bad thing. Ahh... but wait another example for your carebareness. What if that Mystical Fairy hit you for X damage and taken your entire health bar, but wait.. you know what? What if just said, "No, I'm not going to die to this Mystical Fairy".. hey look I DIDN'T! Yaaaaaaay...

Only MMORPG that comes close to permadeath is probably Eve Online because of it's lost of ship deal, and perhaps the forget to clone insurance. Ohhh but wait... another example. What if your ship is about to get blown up by some pirates patrolling the belts for your carebear miner... ah but wait, you can change the tide and warp out instantly without any loss and damages, instead of taking the defeat! Wow, great deal huh!?

I swear some people just need to think about the scenarios and designs behind.. well a design.

• dinomut05dinomut05 Member Posts: 39

lmao ..peradeath...how stupid imo again..LOL

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Perma-death is easy.   Just delete your own charactor when you die.  Issue solved.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Why is this thread so popular with necromancers?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • tikboitikboi Member Posts: 243

haha. another unsatisfied customer...

Originally posted by ghoul31

It is very easy to avoid being ganked in this game, if you know what you are doing.
    But most people are too dumb to realize this. They think this is EQ. They think they can just sit out in the open all day and nobody will ever attack them.

Yes... Because it doesn't matter that they're a brand-new player. It doesn't matter that they haven't learned the ins-and-outs of the game yet, especially once beyond the starting area. It doesn't matter that they haven't had the time to get a grasp on the gameplay mechanics that more experienced players have. It doesn't matter that the other players ganking them have months, if not years, of experience in the game and are undoubtedly better prepared.

Naw none of that matters at all.

They're just "too stupid"

Of course.

GG

Originally posted by itchynz

What people need to understand is Ganking is what makes the game.

Funny.. I thought PvP is what makes the game. PvP implies competition. Ganking implies killing easy targets which, ironically, is how many self-proclaimed hardcore PvP'ers describe PvE.

So Shadowbane is a game specifically about  going after easy targets. No wonder it failed.

Endlessly killing the same monster over and over again is boring and takes no skill, about as interesting as watching paint dry.

And going after lower level characters (ie. ganking) who have no chance of defending themself, even if they know you're there is any more entertaining or challenging?

Oh right... "ganking is what makes the game". I forgot.

But actively leveling working as a team to control the camp, watching track looking for pkers is what puts the fun in. Pulling out the group hunting down the pker, is what breaks up the monotity of leveling.

But how can the average newer player ever get that far if, according to another poster, they're "too stupid" to know how to play out of the gate and keep getting ganked?

I can appreciate that people like the game despite how badly its fared. I've enjoyed a few "DoA" games myself.

What I can't get over and find entertaining is the posturing, chest puffing and ego-stroking that some SB players display when posting about it. Like they're "tough guys" because they play a game where the "main point" is to gank other players.

It's actually more fun reading those posts than it is playing the game itself.

• NasirJNasirJ Member UncommonPosts: 164

If you think SB is all about ganking you are misinformed my friend. SB is about politics and fighting the CN to keep them from dominating the map. Its not about 1 character or even a group. Its about a nation of characters defending the capital city from a bane of destruction. Everything else in game is just there to fill time between banes and mines. Any open pvp or ganking isn't taken to the personal level like you all may think. I've been playing this game since launch and actually payed to play it. Dumb right? I don't believe so. Ive had some of my best times in this game from the hardcore pvp. You won't find anything out there that comes close save UO. If you enjoy pvp and can withstand a few days of learning the game curve and can make friends then you will see what this game is about. The only downfall of this game is that not many people play as much as it used to be.

I mean seriously what else do you want? A free MMO with top shelf pvp? Make some friends in game, join a nation and then talk about how this game is all about the gankfest.

• DrukstylzDrukstylz Member Posts: 189

Well that would require effort. Can't you make an account for me and spoon feed me ownage?