Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts and Item Ideas

DatawightDatawight Member Posts: 21

I work for W.W.Grainger – a
industrial supply center. We pretty much sell anything that's needed
in industrial and construction work. There's almost 400 large
warehouses as part of the US network, and there's a few other large
businesses that provide a similar service.

Finding a warehouse for one of these
places would be a treasure trove. Just keep that in mind..

The main focus of this post is the
following:

In my time with Grainger, I've seen a
lot of the items personally we sell and thought I'd toss them out
here. We've seen some pretty standard stuff in the limited
screenshots, but these items are just as easy to find and are in wide
use.

Kevlar – gloves, sleeves, full head
liners, shin/socks. These are in wide use in the oddest places,
restraunts, meat markets, paper mills, and any place the does a lot
of cutting. Thing to be noted here is all this stuff comes in bright
yellow with blue thread.

Chainmail – same as kevlar, but more
expensive and not as widely used. Very fine links, mostly sold as
gloves.

Metal Guards – Shin being the most
popular, but also come in forearm, kidney, and chest. They look a lot like baseball catchers shin guards, but are
usually leather over steel or aluminum plating. Much heavier
protection. Lumberjacks, paper mills, steel mills, and a lot of
heavy industry places use this sort of thing.

Chemsuits – Are a dime a dozen.
Everything from paper like to full lead lined. The closer to lead
lined, the harder they are to find. However, the paper to middle
ground stuff can be found in most clean rooms. The base suit you
wear under a heavy Chemsuit, is what most clean rooms use for their
base gear.

The list goes on and on.. there's just
so much stuff out there that's in wide use, and I just wanted to
remind the devs of that.

In addition to that.. may be related to
trade skills:

Road signs make great armor. Specially
chest pieces. Tires are even better. Tire armor can be made by
anyone with a hammer, punch, chisel, knife, wire, and some time on
their hands.

PVC can be used in the same way, but it
has one special thing going for it. Heat it for a brief time and it
goes pliable and can be easily molded to a form. Its pretty dang
easy to make a suit of PVC armor, just takes time.

Check out McMaster-Carr, W.W.Grainger,
and even Home Depot and Menards.

Add to this list and lets see what we can come up with..

Some basic tools, 10 feet of pvc pipe, 2 tires, some plumbers putty, and some wire and leather.. and I could make a hellavu suit of armor given a couple days time and a fire.  

Datawight - Speed is Life, Glory a Necessity, Death a Given!

Comments

• DatawightDatawight Member Posts: 21
    Just to put everyone in the right frame of mind..

Car antennas make a dang good weapon for short term use vs flesh

Carpet armor - they use it in SCA all the time

How about the heavy sheet of plastic with the nibs on the bottom for office chairs on carpet

Couple really big washers and 3 feet of twine or pliable wire and you have bolos

3 55 gallon drums, some trees, and rope and you have a dang good raft

Slingshot or Wrist Rockets - easy to make, and can be very effective.  Use a arrow in them and its better then a hand crossbow at short range.

Datawight - Speed is Life, Glory a Necessity, Death a Given!

• mystitiggermystitigger Member Posts: 167

These are some great ideas..

Your someone I'd like to have on my side if the time ever came. The Apocalypse that is :::^D::

• BlackmoorBlackmoor Member Posts: 96
    Farms would be good treasure troves as well. Out of the way , and if anything like most of the farms I know they will have piles of stuff and building full of stuff. ranging from welding equipment ,  barrels of oil or fluids , metal stock, various repair kits and spare parts, diesel , gas, and twine ( yep twine part of the holy trinity of jury rigging stuff). Not to mention lots of fertilizer  useful for various things .

Power lines - lots and lots of those for a fairly easy supply of aluminum. Not to mention other metals if the towers are metal. Also if they are standing its somewhere to go to get away from Graboids. Train tracks usually run alongside power lines and are a great source of iron and steel not to metnion maybe an engine with a tank full of diesel.

Sewers in larger cities - lots of metal in grates along with various pipe fittings and valves , hard to get hard to get out but probably a huge savings in time vs making them.

Concrete buildings ,, bit ( or bunch ) of explosive and presto rebar everywhere.

Its the desert , lots of sand for glass , lots of cacti for making tequila , BOOM BABY BOOM! it's tequila sunrise time.

Glass also makes great arrowheads , not to mention everyones favorite bar room weapon , the broken bottle. Also useful for laying down as a caltrop type thing to slow down pursuers in confined areas.

Pipes , lots of pipes most everywhere useful in various kinds of weapons not mention as raw metal.

Need gold or silver? With a bit of work you can get both out of all those useless computers lying around.

Need stainless steel? Try a dairy farm or cheese factory or a brewery of any kind.
  • CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Datawight & Blackmoor you both scare me in a good way

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• WarcriminalWarcriminal Member Posts: 244
    hahaha awesome ideas guys! 
  • GrimCreepGrimCreep Member Posts: 121

I noticed noone mentioned the most abundent natural weapon of all. "THE HUMAN CORPSE" It's got it ALL, the two lower ribs would make great shanks as well as the rib cage from a larger person could be used as addons for lining a jacket. Would be great for easing the trauma of a baseball bat. Sharpened phemors could put a nice hole in a gut. Even a rotting corpse could do a number on a small poputaion if dropped in the local watering hole. Human leather slings for launching knuckle bones.

The possibilities are endless. When the fall comes the true killers will rise.

Lead with your face and role with the punches.

• BlackmoorBlackmoor Member Posts: 96
    Going off of the dead bodies as sources for umm material.

Schools - Data and I were talking it over and while it seems they should be one of the first places to hit no one thought of them ,, sort of the obvious in plain sight thing :) Anyway depending on the school you have books on various things , along with the libraries , as well as pretty much everything else. Lab equipment , tools of various kinds, medical equipment, various chemicals and fuels, electric and gas motors , and lots of football ( american) pads!

Depending on the school you could get anything from high end medical equipment to various electronics to 18 wheelers.

• VenaliciusVenalicius Member Posts: 33
    I imagine ripping out barbed wire fence posts would be ideal clubbing weapons....
    wrap the wire around the post and tie it off and lookiehere... a spiked club.