Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swipper's summary of recent developments

joshisanonymousjoshisanonymous Member UncommonPosts: 23
Swipper made a pretty cool video talking about what CSE has been working on over the last couple months for those who prefer videos to reading:

www.joshmcneill.com

[Deleted User]francis_baud

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2021
    When i look over games i have a huge array of thoughts that go through my mind.

So I'll talk about a few.

1 NDA This is typically to me a JOKE and has NOTHING to do with copyright but has everything to do with hiding.NDA's were created to protect copyright and NOT to HIDE the product from the consumer so the seller can mislead the public.

2 So this dude says he is VERY happy with the progress,7 years to get reasonable frame rates...sad.SO up until 2019 6 years in an he was getting framerates of 15 and thinks this is moving at an acceptable pace.

3 Streamers/YouTubers acting all EXCITED !!! over a game that is a not even close to being there,feels sketchy to me.

4 WHAT is this game doing,well from i can see,many years in and it is doing VERY little.

I'll tell you my gut feeling on this game.I feel he really THOUGHT he could simply mention the letters DAOC and instantly get millions in backer money.Well it sort of worked but soon the well ran dry and appears the game went stagnant for a long time.What this feels like after 7 years is barely the beginning ,like maybe the end of year 1 or close to end of year 2 but nothing like a game it should look like.

7 years later we are not talking about art concepts and MAYBE we have the giant race,maybe not,like seriously this feels like VERY early development.So he recently got an influx of money and THAT is why all of a sudden there is new hope.IMO this NEW hope will soon fade as the money does and this game imo will NEVER be a AAA game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Wizardry said:
    1 NDA This is typically to me a JOKE and has NOTHING to do with copyright but has everything to do with hiding.NDA's were created to protect copyright and NOT to HIDE the product from the consumer so the seller can mislead the public.
    ???

NDAs were created to hide stuff. Afaik they first became common with tech companies using them to hide products in development, and from there spread to other uses.

• joshisanonymousjoshisanonymous Member UncommonPosts: 23

I can understand feeling like not enough progress has been made, and even CSE has admitted that they underestimated how long it would take, but it's either really disingenuous or really oblivious to choose one recently talked about development and say that literally nothing but that one thing has been developed, especially when that one thing is framerates, something that is continually worked on in every MMO right up to and even long after launch.

The fact is that framerates were fine when zones were much smaller and not so wide open, they created a large, wide open zone and found that framerates suffered, so they went back and worked more on optimization. This is very, very typical game development.

www.joshmcneill.com