Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What other mmos besides Regnum lets me kill same-level enemies in 3 or less blows?

ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189
I was watching some new fanmade videos of barbarian gameplay in Champions of Regnum:  Barbarians there, with readily available equipment, can seemingly kill enemies in 3 or less blows.

Any other mmos regularly allow this?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If you play Champions Online, you'll one-shot a whole lot of same-level mobs if you build for it.  Champions Online is largely built around a strong superhero fighting several weak henchmen at a time.

Or at least it used to be.  Since the big price increase, it's now mostly about picking an archetype that forces a cookie-cutter build on you and then looping alerts endlessly.  They didn't officially pull the plug on the original game, but they made it so expensive to play that basically no one does anymore.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    ringdany said:
    I was watching some new fanmade videos of barbarian gameplay in Champions of Regnum: 

Barbarians there, with readily available equipment, can seemingly kill enemies in 3 or less blows.

Every single one that has shit balance. Which sadly, is most of them.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Ungood said:
    ringdany said:
    I was watching some new fanmade videos of barbarian gameplay in Champions of Regnum: 

Barbarians there, with readily available equipment, can seemingly kill enemies in 3 or less blows.

mm i think it is ok. It is, after all, the Barbarian class, and it is precisely within the character of a barbarian to go crazy and 1-3 shot kills. They give up strong armour usually for this. So other barbs/classes can kill them fast, if they are not careful. Im glad to hear BDO allows this as well.

Ya i think this kind of ability against other human players, can be fun.
    YashaX
    ringdany said:
    Ungood said:
    ringdany said:

mm i think it is ok. It is, after all, the Barbarian class, and it is precisely within the character of a barbarian to go crazy and 1-3 shot kills. They give up strong armour usually for this. So other barbs/classes can kill them fast, if they are not careful. Im glad to hear BDO allows this as well.

It just crap balance in PvP. I mean, next you will have thief class that come out of hiding and 1 shot you, or ranger class that can kill you long before you can get close.. etc etc.

Overall crap balance in the game.

Is it fun.. not really. It leads to meta's and cookie cutter builds and playstyles, with everyone crying about how their OP munchkin class is not an OP AF munchkin class.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2020
    Quizzical said:
    If you play Champions Online, you'll one-shot a whole lot of same-level mobs if you build for it.  Champions Online is largely built around a strong superhero fighting several weak henchmen at a time.

Or at least it used to be.  Since the big price increase, it's now mostly about picking an archetype that forces a cookie-cutter build on you and then looping alerts endlessly.  They didn't officially pull the plug on the original game, but they made it so expensive to play that basically no one does anymore.
    I digress... on both take, actually. Plenty of people play, and a large share of those on FF and not on cookie-cutter AT - naturally, mostly veterans are playing still.

On the question's part as well, since as you said so too, it only applies if you build for it (emphasis is mine).
    OP seeks "with readily available equipment, can seemingly kill enemies in 3 or less blows." and that ain't CO, neither on ATs and especially not on FF which you can even build to be broken.
    (but of course you can build boss-killing powerhouses as well, with a lot of work)

OP, what other games, I'm afraid most of them. If not exactly 3 or less hits, but all MMORPGs turned to easy over the years, @delete could tell a lot on that, he's had quite a couple threads on the subject.
    Not always to that extreme of one-shot or just a few key presses (though some games went that far), it's still hard to find challenging gameplay while you stay on-level.

That's why difficulty adjustment is such a great thing, and (coincidence) CO has maybe the most flexible difficulty setting in MMORPGs - coupled with one of the most flexible character building too.
    Xodic said:
    Ungood said:
    ringdany said:
    Ungood said:
    ringdany said:

It just crap balance in PvP. I mean, next you will have thief class that come out of hiding and 1 shot you, or ranger class that can kill you long before you can get close.. etc etc.

Is it fun.. not really. It leads to meta's and cookie cutter builds and playstyles, with everyone crying about how their OP munchkin class is not an OP AF munchkin class.

It really just depends on the overall game design. You're right though, in most modern games it would be bad balance, because those games are designed to be "balanced", in that every class is supposed to have an equal chance against every other class in any given situation. It's really more like watering down the classes to where they're all equally diluted and have no unique characteristics.

To me, If a rogue has the element of surprise and gets the jump on you, you're dead.
    If you try running face first, a mile out, towards a wizard, you're dead.
    If you let a warrior get close enough to man handle you, you're dead.

These intuitive concepts existed, and worked, well before the bland balancing acts. It forced you to play smarter, it required you to know your surroundings and use everything available to your advantage instead of playing to your enemy's strengths. Now you really don't even need to think, you just run into the murder ball and smash your perfectly balanced buttons.

That's stupid.

If a Thief gets the jump on you, you should be able to invest into enough Armor to stop their blows, if you played something like a Fighter or a Paladin, because that is what balance is about, to have counters to what others night do, so that one trick ponies, like some munchkin asshat thief jumping out the shadows expecting that to win every fight, can't exist.

If they can vanish and hide in combat, there should be a way to expose them like Glitterdust. 

Again, if you played a paladin and were facing a wizard, you could get a ring of spell deflection, or a wand of anti-magic aura, that allows you close the gap between yourself and the wizard, allowing you to get close enough to hit them with your sword.

The Wizard should also be able to cast spells like Stoneskin, and Tenser's  Transformation, to make your blows ineffective against them, while they draw out a claymore and repay you with some heavy blows of their own.

That is assuming they prepped those spells, and weren't some one trick pony build like the shadow thief, and depended on Finger of Death to kill everything and was otherwise totally hapless.

That is what balance is about, it's about having counters to what others might bring to the table, so that one trick pony builds, and myopic playstyles don't exist.

But given what you said, that idea of balance is lost on you, and obviously, since that is your idea of balance, no doubt you play crap games that have that as their system.

Not sure what is worse, that gamers think that is what balance is, or that some devs think that is what balance is.
    YashaX

Po_gg said:
    Quizzical said:

I digress... on both take, actually. Plenty of people play, and a large share of those on FF and not on cookie-cutter AT - naturally, mostly veterans are playing still.

On the question's part as well, since as you said so too, it only applies if you build for it (emphasis is mine).
    OP seeks "with readily available equipment, can seemingly kill enemies in 3 or less blows." and that ain't CO, neither on ATs and especially not on FF which you can even build to be broken.
    (but of course you can build boss-killing powerhouses as well, with a lot of work)

OP, what other games, I'm afraid most of them. If not exactly 3 or less hits, but all MMORPGs turned to easy over the years, @delete could tell a lot on that, he's had quite a couple threads on the subject.
    Not always to that extreme of one-shot or just a few key presses (though some games went that far), it's still hard to find challenging gameplay while you stay on-level.

That's why difficulty adjustment is such a great thing, and (coincidence) CO has maybe the most flexible difficulty setting in MMORPGs - coupled with one of the most flexible character building too.
    I would wager that DDO could challenge that. As DDO has 5 basic levels of Difficulty, Easy, Normal, Hard, Elite, Reaper, and then 9 additional tiers of Reaper difficulty for those that feel they need more challenge.

On top of that, DDO has one of the most diverse character builders, allowing you to combine 3 class, with 3 or more trait lines, as well as racial trait lines, and general trait lines, mixed with various weapons, armor, and gear.

Xodic said:
    Ungood said:
    Xodic said:
    Ungood said:
    ringdany said:
    Ungood said:
    ringdany said:

It really just depends on the overall game design. You're right though, in most modern games it would be bad balance, because those games are designed to be "balanced", in that every class is supposed to have an equal chance against every other class in any given situation. It's really more like watering down the classes to where they're all equally diluted and have no unique characteristics.

To me, If a rogue has the element of surprise and gets the jump on you, you're dead.
    If you try running face first, a mile out, towards a wizard, you're dead.
    If you let a warrior get close enough to man handle you, you're dead.

These intuitive concepts existed, and worked, well before the bland balancing acts. It forced you to play smarter, it required you to know your surroundings and use everything available to your advantage instead of playing to your enemy's strengths. Now you really don't even need to think, you just run into the murder ball and smash your perfectly balanced buttons.

That's stupid.

If a Thief gets the jump on you, you should be able to invest into enough Armor to stop their blows, if you played something like a Fighter or a Paladin, because that is what balance is about, to have counters to what others night do, so that one trick ponies, like some munchkin asshat thief jumping out the shadows expecting that to win every fight, can't exist.

If they can vanish and hide in combat, there should be a way to expose them like Glitterdust. 

Again, if you played a paladin and were facing a wizard, you could get a ring of spell deflection, or a wand of anti-magic aura, that allows you close the gap between yourself and the wizard, allowing you to get close enough to hit them with your sword.

The Wizard should also be able to cast spells like Stoneskin, and Tenser's  Transformation, to make your blows ineffective against them, while they draw out a claymore and repay you with some heavy blows of their own.

That is assuming they prepped those spells, and weren't some one trick pony build like the shadow thief, and depended on Finger of Death to kill everything and was otherwise totally hapless.

That is what balance is about, it's about having counters to what others might bring to the table, so that one trick pony builds, and myopic playstyles don't exist.

But given what you said, that idea of balance is lost on you, and obviously, since that is your idea of balance, no doubt you play crap games that have that as their system.

Not sure what is worse, that gamers think that is what balance is, or that some devs think that is what balance is.

No need to get snippy. I'm not out to convert you, I'm just letting you know that I disagree. I know it can be shocking, but we'll get through it.
    so you like playing badly designed games.. got it

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Ironically the most endeared well thought of popular RvR/PvP MMOs were/are completely unbalanced ..

UO
     AC Darktide
     Darkfall
     DAOC

EVE
    Shadowbane
    AoC
      Anarchy Online

All extremely unbalanced and fun as fuck
    My understanding was that EvE was rather well balanced and had a very lateral gameplay in progression.

But lets be real, it was only due to WoW's Alliance vs Horde gameplay that RvR exists at all.

Ungood said:
    My understanding was that EvE was rather well balanced and had a very lateral gameplay in progression.

But lets be real, it was only due to WoW's Alliance vs Horde gameplay that RvR exists at all.

Noone looks for a balanced fight in Eve ... Noone ...
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:

Noone looks for a balanced fight in Eve ... Noone ...
    I am well aware that EvE caters to people who are looking for a game where they be rewarded for being the biggest asshole.

I am also glad a game like EvE exists where it sucks those players in and provides them that very special niche' to exist in so they do not move off to other games, and bring their toxic sludge with them.

But, lets me honest, none of the games you listed were super stars, and barely even what would pass as popular for an MMO or a PvP games.

And, the main reason is, the balance sucks in them, it's like asking how stupid a Dev needs to be to make some under powered sack of a shit as a class compared to other classes.

Why even bother wasting the dev time making that?

Can you imagine paying someone to design a build that you know is not competitive?

Like, how stupid can you be just to make something like that to start with, like sitting at the table and saying "Ok guys, lets waste time and money making things that suck in contrast to our other lineup" and worse yet, have someone sign off wasting the money and time on making shit like that.

The only reason to green light something like that, is to make that the free class or in gacha games where you insert tons of shit to force players to keep buying more RNG to get to the good stuff, so everyone needs to buy the better class, which gives rise to the wonderful thing everyone loves, which is Pay to Win.. 

YashaXcheyane

None of that changes the fact that games listed above are the best the genre has offered in RvR/PvP , and reinforced by countless communities as the Bar for RvR /PvP and still are today the best the genre offers .. imo

Unbalance is King in this regard .. and imo much more challenging ..

Ive played all those games extensivley .. UO for near 24 years now ..

Just broke RR 80 in War for a second time

Unbalance is just more fun  imo .. and the reason being ..

In a balanced game , the gameplay can become quite boring .. you see a class and you know exactly what they will do and what skills to counter with .. Boring

In an unbalanced game like UO for ex..  you really have no idea what is coming at you making for much more challenging/exciting and rewarding fights..

You can create or come across diverse and original builds and approaches in unbalanced ..

Balance becomes stale and boring rather fast imo ..

[Deleted User]
    Scorchien said:
    None of that changes the fact that games listed above are the best the genre has offered in RvR/PvP , and reinforced by countless communities as the Bar for RvR /PvP and still are today the best the genre offers .. imo

None of those games are the bar by which PvP has been set, most of them are cautionary tales of what not to do by anyone willing to pay attention to them, which is why all the current successful MMO's have moved away from such unbalanced nonsense crap and moved towards trying to build a more balanced playing field.

I mean really, what kind of moron would play sub-optimal crap in a PvP game? Like.. WTF Dude, you like to lose to people with half your skill? LOL.. I mean really, a lot of gamers won't play sub-optimal crap in a PvE game, which is why we have meta's and DSP meters, Who in their right mind would play Sub-crap in a PvP one.

Hard reality check, UO, was a Mud made in iso format, with all the negs included, and damn near almost ended MMO's before they even began with how bad it went over with the community, and it was only thanks to the PvE of EQ that launched MMO's in the West above becoming nothing more than some ultra niche' genre played by basement dwelling nerds.
    YashaXcheyane

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Wizard 101 allows you to regularly one shot enemies. But you might spend a couple of minutes in turn-based fight preparing to make that single attack, so I guess it's not quite what you're looking for.

edited December 2020
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:

None of those games are the bar by which PvP has been set, most of them are cautionary tales of what not to do by anyone willing to pay attention to them, which is why all the current successful MMO's have moved away from such unbalanced nonsense crap and moved towards trying to build a more balanced playing field.

I mean really, what kind of moron would play sub-optimal crap in a PvP game? Like.. WTF Dude, you like to lose to people with half your skill? LOL.. I mean really, a lot of gamers won't play sub-optimal crap in a PvE game, which is why we have meta's and DSP meters, Who in their right mind would play Sub-crap in a PvP one.

Hard reality check, UO, was a Mud made in iso format, with all the negs included, and damn near almost ended MMO's before they even began with how bad it went over with the community, and it was only thanks to the PvE of EQ that launched MMO's in the West above becoming nothing more than some ultra niche' genre played by basement dwelling nerds.

We have had this discussion before i dont see it ending any differently..

I did not say they are the bar that set PvP , i said they are the bar that Set RvR/PVP which is very different , we are discussing MMOs here..

And they most certainly did .. Todays best offerings are just not as good .. GW2 is an utter joke and will lucky to even be open in 2 years .. the WvW is terrible and no respecting RvR guild stayed there for long ..

ESO( Cyrocill) is a single zone of repetitive shit that has horrible performance in Keeps made of wet cardboard ..

UO is a testament in what do right from many standpoints , running for 24 years they have done alot right .. On a side note imo  EQ pve is a joke compared to UOS always was even before Trammel .. really had little to do with the actual PVE .. it was the same either way... .. Dev/Pubs would line up if you told them they cxould have a profitable MMO for 24 years straight ... Thats success my friend .. No matter the journey..as MMOS are a journey for players and devs ..

Even the devs of ESO and GW2 have said how great the RvR/PvP was in many of those games , heck many are trying to recreate it now with Crowfall ( which is unbalanced as fuck ) Btw and CU ...

We just disagree ..  again .. but i digress ..

Merry Xmas brudha .. gonna leave it at that .. we've had enough heated discussions for this year :)

cheyane
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:

We have had this discussion before i dont see it ending any differently..

I did not say they are the bar that set PvP , i said they are the bar that Set RvR/PVP which is very different , we are discussing MMOs here..

And they most certainly did .. Todays best offerings are just not as good .. GW2 is an utter joke and will lucky to even be open in 2 years .. the WvW is terrible and no respecting RvR guild stayed there for long ..

ESO( Cyrocill) is a single zone of repetitive shit that has horrible performance in Keeps made of wet cardboard ..

UO is a testament in what do right from many standpoints , running for 24 years they have done alot right .. On a side note imo  EQ pve is a joke compared to UOS always was even before Trammel .. really had little to do with the actual PVE .. it was the same either way... .. Dev/Pubs would line up if you told them they cxould have a profitable MMO for 24 years straight ... Thats success my friend .. No matter the journey..as MMOS are a journey for players and devs ..

Even the devs of ESO and GW2 have said how great the RvR/PvP was in many of those games , heck many are trying to recreate it now with Crowfall ( which is unbalanced as fuck ) Btw and CU ...

We just disagree ..  again .. but i digress ..

Merry Xmas brudha .. gonna leave it at that .. we've had enough heated discussions for this year :)

I get that UO is your first love of an MMO, but it never really was that great, it never even got past half what EQ had, so.. hard truth is, they did line up to the MMO that showed them the path to success, which is why WoW was built off EQ's system, and Blizzard hired EQ developers to help build WoW. Love it or hate it, EQ set the standard for most MMO's going forward, that is also why UO stopped getting any sufficient content updates in 2010, and EQ just put out it's 27th expansion this year.

But you are right, we have had enough of these discussion, however the end result is, with the rise of WoW, gamers have changed, with MMO's becoming mainstream, and 3rd party software becoming the norm, archaic ideas of the past like sub-optimal classes and shit balance reminisce of old school D&D which gave geeks and nerds that were raised on those games some fan service are dinosaurs that are swiftly going extinct in todays market.

This is why all those devs that thought DAOC did it right, are now endlessly patching, re-balancing, and overhauling their clusterfuck of systems to try and make things more balanced, and eliminate the stupidity of putting in sub-optimal crap into their game to start with, and players think they are all morons with their heads up their ass for doing so at the start, and keep in mind, these are the same quality of Dev's that tried to make New World an Open World PvP game, and didn't dawn on them that ganking was gonna be a thing.

Yah CF is unbalanced, and no doubt that will see it die swift and fast after launch, right now, I have heard they have done a lot to fix things, to make things more fair, but we shall see on that one. I am not hopeful, and I am a backer.

As far as CU goes... we shall see on that way. I personally think it will be another "good old days" flash in the pan kind of deal, if it ever launches, and as opposed to revitalizing the game style of yesteryear, as many think it will as they gaze fondly through rose colored glasses, it will become a quick and swift reminder of why DAOC never became a contender against EQ when they were in their prime.

But, at the end of the day, poor balance is a game killer for a PvP game, the modern times are here, and no one wants to run less than meta.

You can see this first hand in GW2, which had to make a division on abilities and how they function in PvP and PvE, which really, these are not the people to put on a pedestal on good WvW/PvP design, given they are always changing it, anyway, when the meta changes, so does the vast population on the WvW maps, like a wave, if the buff a class, everyone is running that class, within a day, a meta is mathed out, and that becomes the new standard for that class that is now demanded and required in WvW, if they nerf a class, it dies on the maps, WvW guilds no longer have them among their ranks, and in some cases commanders won't even accept them in their squad.

The era of people being encouraged and accepted for playing sub-optimal piece of shit classes and builds is long dead.
    cheyane

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Scorchien said:

In an unbalanced game like UO for ex..  you really have no idea what is coming at you making for much more challenging/exciting and rewarding fights..

That's not exactly "unbalance."

That's just classless games.

Lineage 2 was "unbalanced" and you knew what was coming for you depending on what class you were facing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    why do people care about 1vs1 in multiplayer games ?

First of all , the problem with modern game balance is developers give the f***k about economy .
    Archer , sure , arrows cost ? high level arrows cost ?
    Magician ? how much the scrolls and potions cost ?
    Armor meele , potion cost , repair cost .... ect

Sovrath said:
    Scorchien said:

Lineage 2 was "unbalanced" and you knew what was coming for you depending on what class you were facing.

And classless games are Notoriously difficult to balance ... sooo  
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Scorchien said:

And classless games are Notoriously difficult to balance ... sooo  
    Sadly, not really.

I mean get that games like UO are now flying under the radar, and relics of a past era of games, so it might not be as affected by the new wave of gamers as more modern games, and truth be told, DDO was like for that a while as well.

But when it went F2P, it got an huge influx of new players, and suddenly the game got mathed down to optimal DPS builds, Optimal Tank Builds, etc. The Key roles were sorted out in short order.

So if you wanted to play a role in end game content, you had to build your character a specific way to be optimal, or don't bother. At best you can go run the lesser content where there is more room for sub-optimal, but if you wanted to play with the elite and end game, there was no room for sub-par.

Just how things evolved when the game got popular for a while.

Again, It's not about your pet MMO, or whatever, it's not personal, the way people approach and play MMO's/games these days has changed... With the rise of E-Sports and Streamers and MMO/games being mainstream, it's a whole new generation of gamers and their motives reflect this.

When it comes to modern games, and especially games that are competitive like PvP/RvR, If the choices offered are not equally viable, all the Sub-optimal choices might as well not exist. Modern players are just going to go 3rd party sites, look up the meta builds, and roll that, with everything else just being a waste of dev time.

Again, It's not you.. it's not your favorite game.. it's the way the platform evolved.

Unbalanced Shit, Sub-Optimal Builds, and the illusion of choices that in reality only leads to inferior builds are the marks of bygone days and bygone games, and they simply do not hold up in the modern market with the current generation of gamers.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited December 2020
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:

He likes to play games that he can no life and smash undergeared noobs, yawn.

The rvr games he calls shit are the only ones that I like, and most of the ones he claims set the bar are either out of business or were shit in the first place.

UngoodAlBQuirky