Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games the Authors would be proud of... your thoughts?

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited December 2020
    Po_gg said:
    Scot said:
    Unless the author writes the games script and is the Creative Director (not sure any are even qualified to do that?)
    Just scroll a few posts up :) 
    Ellison wrote the dialogues, the character's backstories, all the details which were above the original novel. He voiced the central figure, and added design and narrative ideas to the process.

True, wasn't the creative director per se... as an old writer without any knowledge on computers and games it ain't surprising. In this sense your question is valid, probably no writers were in that position yet, since they have expertise elsewhere.

From the other way around it's easier, like Ragnar Tornquist. He ain't a writer in the meaning of published books, etc., yet he's the writer and director of the Dreamfall series, just as TSW, also the writer of AO (the lead designer of that was Godager).

Have an another example for the title's proudness question, even if stretching the word author a bit: Nomad Soul, and Bowie.
    The first (and also the last) good game of Cage before he turned into selling QTE-heavy interactive movies as games...  (ok, self-admitted Cage hater here :) )
    He asked Bowie for the game's OST, and he got fully turned on for the project. Bowie really liked to experiment and do new things anyway, and gaming started to explode at that time.
    Long story short he didn't just do the OST but ended up as a key character in the game (voiced by him, and built on his image), did some writing part, and even enlisted his wife into the game as a minor character.
    Well you are speaking to the converted here, I knew nothing of Ellsion's game but the rest are old favourites of mine. What is Tornquist doing these days, still just the TSW? The DF series was seminal and TSW is in the running for the best story MMO ever, that guy needs to be behind more games.

Nomad Soul is an old favourite, I steer clear of finding out too much about games I am going to get because of spoilers. So I had seen capsulated reviews, nothing more. I am getting into this amazing game and visit a bar where there is live music. I thought I recognised the singers voice and it looked like David Bowie. I parked that and did not think of it again until in a different bar and there he was again! This time I was certain it was him, true to form I only read about his involvement after the game was finished.
    Po_ggAlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Scot said:
    Po_gg said:
    Scot said:
    Unless the author writes the games script and is the Creative Director (not sure any are even qualified to do that?)
    Just scroll a few posts up :) 
    Ellison wrote the dialogues, the character's backstories, all the details which were above the original novel. He voiced the central figure, and added design and narrative ideas to the process.

True, wasn't the creative director per se... as an old writer without any knowledge on computers and games it ain't surprising. In this sense your question is valid, probably no writers were in that position yet, since they have expertise elsewhere.

From the other way around it's easier, like Ragnar Tornquist. He ain't a writer in the meaning of published books, etc., yet he's the writer and director of the Dreamfall series, just as TSW, also the writer of AO (the lead designer of that was Godager).

Have an another example for the title's proudness question, even if stretching the word author a bit: Nomad Soul, and Bowie.
    The first (and also the last) good game of Cage before he turned into selling QTE-heavy interactive movies as games...  (ok, self-admitted Cage hater here :) )
    He asked Bowie for the game's OST, and he got fully turned on for the project. Bowie really liked to experiment and do new things anyway, and gaming started to explode at that time.
    Long story short he didn't just do the OST but ended up as a key character in the game (voiced by him, and built on his image), did some writing part, and even enlisted his wife into the game as a minor character.
    Well you are speaking to the converted here, I knew nothing of Ellsion's game but the rest are old favourites of mine. What is Tornquist doing these days, still just the TSW? The DF series was seminal and TSW is in the running for the best story MMO ever, that guy needs to be behind more games.

Nomad Soul is an old favourite, I steer clear of finding out too much about games I am going to get because of spoilers. So I had seen capsulated reviews, nothing more. I am getting into this amazing game and visit a bar where there is live music. I thought I recognised the singers voice and it looked like David Bowie. I parked that and did not think of it again until in a different bar and there he was again! This time I was certain it was him, true to form I only read about his involvement after the game was finished.
    Nomad Soul and Bowie were a match made in heaven. Now I want a game featuring giant Glass Spiders....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotPo_ggAlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2020
    I've missed Nomad Soul at launch, only after finished Cage's second game, Fahrenheit (which was ok-ish, already too heavy on QTEs and the on-the-rails feel, but still more freedom and creativity than his later console games) I've heard "if you want something better, check his previous game", which I did.
    And yep, it indeed was much better :)

Funny thing is, then I didn't think too much into Bowie's character, around that time (not '99, the mid-2000s when I first played) it wasn't uncommon to have musicians in games, there was the Kiss fps, Schafer's Brütal Legend was in development with a bunch of musicians, etc.

Then a few years later I saw a documentary about Bowie, and in it there was maybe 4-5 minutes (which is a lot, if you think about it) just about the game. How he loved the concept, what ideas he had, Iman sat there too and talked about her character's part, etc.
    It seemed he really loved to working on it, since the documentary was about his music, and the game just came up through the music he made for it.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Scot said:
    What is Tornquist doing these days, still just the TSW? The DF series was seminal and TSW is in the running for the best story MMO ever, that guy needs to be behind more games.
    Fully agree, he should have a lot more games...

As for what's he's doing these days:
    definitely not TSW, he left the game at around the b2p switch has happened, or a bit before.
    Joel took over the direction, with Ragnar's help on the details but only for the first few months I believe. By the time of Tokyo he was fully on Dreamfall: Chapters, for which he made his own studio Red Thread Games.

After that they've made Draugen, and since then working on a game, but not much news on that.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited December 2020
    Po_gg said:
    Scot said:
    What is Tornquist doing these days, still just the TSW? The DF series was seminal and TSW is in the running for the best story MMO ever, that guy needs to be behind more games.
    Fully agree, he should have a lot more games...

As for what's he's doing these days:
    definitely not TSW, he left the game at around the b2p switch has happened, or a bit before.
    Joel took over the direction, with Ragnar's help on the details but only for the first few months I believe. By the time of Tokyo he was fully on Dreamfall: Chapters, for which he made his own studio Red Thread Games.

After that they've made Draugen, and since then working on a game, but not much news on that.
    Actually, Tornquist is working on this:

Colour me intrigued.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Po_gg[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Yep, that's how I meant not much news, this summer they had some really short playable part already, and said it will launch next year, but who knows how much Covid hindered their plans...

By the way, check the books on the shelf in that trailer :) 
    Red Thread of Fate, Falling Dreams (by Ryan Alvane, awesome twist), Blood Oil, which is clearly the Filth in TSW.
    Probably the last one is a hint on AO, but can't figure out. The game sure has republics...
    AlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    edited December 2020
    Scot said:
    Ungood said:
    Lots of great examples here. On the opposite end I can’t imagine HP Lovecraft would enjoy any of the games based on his works. Not because it may or may not be faithful to the source material but because he was a horrible racist that would be shocked at the thought of non-white people using his stories. 
    He also was born in 1890, spent the prime years of his short life dealing with ravages of WWI and The Spanish Flu, and died in 1937, which was before the Rise of Nazi Germany and WWII. He live a grand total of 47 years, during a time when a lot of society as a whole was racist, if he had been born in 1990, I am sure he would have had a different view on things.
    I find it baffling that people today have an insistence that people from the past share all of their ideals and values. Rather than celebrating that this shows how far we have come, they denigrate the achievements of every historical figure who expressed or was associated with something unacceptable today. We are all people of our time, it should not surprise anyone that this is the case.
    Yah.. and I just saw your agree.

Thanks.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Xodic said:
    Blade Runner, from book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep), to loose interpretations of movies and video games. The 1990's game was breathtaking for its time, which is a dark and gritty futuristic detective game with a solid storyline. It's still one of my favorites. It was truly a game that pushed the limits and innovated game design.  It's also one of the first video games to use voxels, which I didn't even know until I watched this video.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is not a book.  It's a short story from Philip K. Dick.  Since he died in the early 80s, he probably doesn't have an opinion about the various games using this IP.

But, the 90s game was quite good.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Douglas Adams worked on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game, iirc.  He really did the concept in a number of ways; book, radio play, TV show, etc.  

Of course, I hated the game, mostly due to its idiot parser.  Hated it so much that I cut the floppies up with scissors.  
    [Deleted User]ScotAlBQuirkyUngood

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Douglas Adams worked on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game, iirc.  He really did the concept in a number of ways; book, radio play, TV show, etc.  

Of course, I hated the game, mostly due to its idiot parser.  Hated it so much that I cut the floppies up with scissors.  
    That's some "rage" there! :lol:

It reminds of Raymond Feist's games based on his Midkemia novels: Return to Krondor and Betrayal at Antarra.

I recall reading his series through my library and seeing a blurb about a computer game disc that was gone from the back cover. I found the games through GOG and only tried them briefly. They did not catch my interest even though I enjoyed his books :)

He "seemed" pleased with them on his website, though, and was much involved with them :)
    Ungood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Michael Kirkbride - The Elder Scrolls
    Ungood
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited December 2020
    bcbully said:
    Michael Kirkbride - The Elder Scrolls
    Hmm... he wasn't even around for the first TES game, Arena, and became a writer in Daggerfall.

At best he took the lore already created for Arena and then ran with it competently.

Ted Peterson, Vijay Lakshman and Julian LeFay were the 3 guys who created that universe.

If you have a spare 3 and half hours (lol) here's a video interview with Ted Peterson from a couple of years ago:

[Deleted User]ScotAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED