Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a League of Legends MMO Might Look Like | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Asthanos said:
    Given their propensity for leaping on successful ideas and the large amount of existing characters they have access to, I would put money on whatever "MMO" they're making being basically a LoL skin of Genshin Impact. But I'm also a terrible gambler so who knows.

Got to believe it will be something very close to this. I think Genshin Impact opened the door to a lot of similar games, each slowly moving to a full MMO game.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402
    My 0.02--haven't posted in forever. The Genshin Impact-clone idea was the first thing I thought of and it seems like others agree. I would totally play this as it would keep the gameplay infinitely fresh. Furthermore, it would align with their current business model (earning/buying characters but not gacha) and would be operationally synergistic with their other titles (less incremental development resources required, characters already exist).

However, I think the game design would be very, very different so as not to cannibalize their other offerings. To have a Genshin Impact-clone or even create your own character alternative, I think they would opt for an open-world design, thereby targeting players who want deeper experiences.
    Sovrath
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Eh, I wouldn't take anything mmorpg says. They are middle aged adults, they are pretty out of touch when it comes to video games. I doubt anyone here even plays anything regularly.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Keyword>Champions.
    I have ZERO faith they could deliver a quality rpg.

I figure another ARPG tpe game,isometric view,low end graphics,vcery little content.The whoele game would revolve around selling champions and i wouldn't put it past them to setup some sort of similar ideas to Gatcha/Genshin which is likely what triggered their interest >>$$$.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Utinni said:

Scorchien said:

The irony of it all , is most LoL players think they ARE playing an MMO ... 

Literally no LoL players think it's an MMO.
    Hard evidence please or I am not buying that, also do streamers realise they are not watching a daytime TV cartoon? :)
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    2 bad, Riot changed alot. Also the new Rune system is hot garbage. The new champs somehow can do everything: heal stun taunt crit escape. They sre overloaded with abilities that once were unique characteristic of some champs. Nowdays you get popstars in the game as champs to please asian market.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Been thinking about this for a couple days and this is what I came up with...

There can be only 3 different game design philosophies for this game when considering all the Riot + TC variables..

1. Bare minimum development - Not much money or effort put in and is just a game that exists in its specific sub-genre without any real chance of being a big player >>> Legends of Runeterra.

2. Medium level of effort exerted to provide a 'good' base game to build upon. With enough TLC over time can possibly become a real competitor or possibly overtake the big boys in the specific sub-genre >>> Valorant.

3. Maximum level of effort put into the project. No cut corners/ all hands on deck cannon fire bazooka kill shot to big players(WoW, ESO).

Gaming industry constant let downs made me think 2 was the route they were gonna go but the more I thought about it could it possibly be 3? My theory for years is that TC's motivation for buying up game companies was the end game goal of one day owning Blizz/Acti which is in many ways seen as the most successful western game company.

TC has bought out almost every single competitor to Blizz and now has the knowledge of game development that every single one of those companies has. Have they been gathering information and forming a strategy to essentially forge the silver bullet to fire at just the right time?

Companies that people rarely mention as being bought by TC is Funcom & Jagex. Both have created full feature MMO's with the same gameplay view as LoL. Funcom made Lego Minifigures Online that had a 'tag in' 3 character feature that allows players to use 3 different characters at a time. If you play Injustice 2 mobile or played MXM(Master X Master) by NCSoft it was the same type of design. I can see them doing this if they decide to go the premade character route.

Ghostcrawler/Greg Street variable... This guy jumped the Blizzard ship before jumping the Blizzard ship was cool. Him announcing the 'MMO' on Twitter which is in 2020 pretty much considered an official announcement by the creative lead at Riot makes me go back to #3 and think that despite just announcing hiring now the plan for this game has been in the works for a while.

Imagine taking Runescape, Path of Exile, every Funcom MMO, maybe Shadowbane?(UBI), Global Agenda, + Kongregate, Supercell and other mobile game bits then mashing them into a LoL MMO on Unreal Engine. Depth/grind of RS, Gear/instancing of POE, Character progression from all Funcom MMO's alone would be enough to create the next hit game if pieced together properly. TC's magic bags of money won't guarantee success but it sure won't hurt. Whatever they come up with can't possibly be worse than what AGS has produced vs the money they've spent.

TC's unlimited bags of money being used to improve their games + companies.. People may disagree with my comments but if TC will USE their bags of money to create good games then it's already better for US than Blizz sitting on their piles of gold when they were at the top. Rember when it was reported that they could fund multiple moon missions with the money they made from WoW? What did the players get for being the SOURCE of that wealth accumilation? A scrapped shooter from an "Unfun" MMO, a price gougey mobile card game and a half effort abandoned moba..

If it wasn't for the merchandise and relentless promoting Blizz does ingraining in everyone's minds that they are in some way 'the best' everyone would see them for the mediocre 'game development' company they are.

In the end I have no problem with #3 cause maybe TC can do a better job than what Blizz/Acti is currently doing. There's 0% chance TC would've OUTSOURCED WC3 remaster or Diablo Immortal considering the amount of staff they already employ. They would've made Blizz devs actually do work not promotional videos and make it themselves like they do with every other company they buy.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Riot has a huge shitpot of cash with no real other major IPs. That leads me to think they'll go maximum effort and budget for something like this.
    It's not just the cash on hand, RIOT is AAA and successful enough that they wouldn't want to embarrass themselves with something that would hurt their image. That becomes very important once you hit the big times.

It may not be what us old timers think is a bona-fide MMORPG and who knows, it may even include (gasp!) mobile play, but whatever they do it won't be half-assed.
    [Deleted User]Scot[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    aivarioha said:
    ...like a dog shite game with big titty little girls that wear spandex.

Aeander[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• BudddaBuddda Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I know that you can buy any account with any lvl for any game. Because I did so because my friends have a low LVL in LOL, but we wanted to play all together and I bought it here https://www.lolfinity.com/buy-lol-account/ account with different skins and 10,000 coins. On the one hand, I can be considered a booster, but I do not play seriously on this account, we just go in to laugh and enjoy spending time in the game. Because I didn't want to merge my main lvl because of my friends :)
  • ErnestWWErnestWW Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I never thought that I would enjoy playing video games, but recently I was so bored that I decided to find some game. So I ended up with League of Legends, and since I didn't want to take too long to figure it out, I also found a blog and an article about annoying junglers. It seems to me that for those who are starting to play, this is a great source of information for rapid progress
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    First, Arcane (league of legends) tv show on Netflix is very well done and popular.  So, their ability to add lore seems decent.

I understand they stated that LoL MMO would be PvE heavy, BUT... if they don't have great PvP content... they're essentially walking away from their core built-in playerbase. IMO.

[Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    LoL turned me off the first ten minutes I was in the game....The players were horribly rude and I could tell it just wasnt going to be my cup of tea.
    First, Arcane (league of legends) tv show on Netflix is very well done and popular.  So, their ability to add lore seems decent.

I understand they stated that LoL MMO would be PvE heavy, BUT... if they don't have great PvP content... they're essentially walking away from their core built-in playerbase. IMO.

I vastly disagree with this point.

Since it is a game based on an existing game, making a Pure PvE MMO, is in fact their best bet.

Because then it won't compete against their player base that is playing the MOBA, they will stay in the MOBA for the PvP.

It will also lessen the comparisons, and there won't be the whole "Oh the PvP in the LOL MOBA is so much better than the PvP in the MMO, the MMO sucks big fat hairy monkey balls!"

By making the MMO PvE they will attract a whole different player demographic, as opposed to just moving around who they already have.

Overall, I would say it is a stellar move to make the MMO a PvE game, and will eliminate so many problems like balance issues and the like, after all, if someone wants to PvP, they can just load up the MOBA, and kick some heads in.
    [Deleted User]TwistedSister77
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmaDeY1991AmaDeY1991 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Well, I saw the news that Riot plans to start talking about a League of Legends MMO in 2022. The project's executive producer, Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street, revealed this in a tweet answering a question from one of the players. At the same time, the developer noted that the plan may still change. I wonder if it will be possible to download scripts for this MMO? I mean these, in case you didn't get it https://lol-script.com/blog/scripting-in-league-of-legends/. Because without them, it seems to me the game will take longer to get through. He also noted that Riot wants to start sharing information about the game as early as possible, so it has time to respond to player feedback. However, the developers realize that the abundance of news in the early stages will eventually bore players.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited March 2022
    Ungood said:

Since it is a game based on an existing game, making a Pure PvE MMO, is in fact their best bet.

Because then it won't compete against their player base that is playing the MOBA, they will stay in the MOBA for the PvP.

It will also lessen the comparisons, and there won't be the whole "Oh the PvP in the LOL MOBA is so much better than the PvP in the MMO, the MMO sucks big fat hairy monkey balls!"

By making the MMO PvE they will attract a whole different player demographic, as opposed to just moving around who they already have.

Overall, I would say it is a stellar move to make the MMO a PvE game, and will eliminate so many problems like balance issues and the like, after all, if someone wants to PvP, they can just load up the MOBA, and kick some heads in.
    These are legit points, great post....and one that many product managers in numerous industries wrestle with... canabilization of sales.  

Strategy for product life cycles often try to balance not hurting a mature cash cow product with a newly launched growth product.  

This is one reason why Blizzard hasn't introduced a complete alternative MMORPG product to WoW in decades... instead they developed minimal competing products to expand out and diversify their portfolio.

The issue is, if you wait too long... your cash cow eventually starts dying and that customer base moves on.  Also, LoL is strongly branded as a PvP game... now you are diluting and muddying the brand with a pure PvE game.

There really is no crystal ball on strategic calls/bets. They are hotly debated in board rooms.

Personally, a ecosystem could exist for both LoLs (moba and MMORPG with PvP features)...  IMO.  The key is to differentiate the pvp experience... exactly to your point about avoiding direct comparisons.

How?  Off of the top of my head -  large scale RvR and other non-LOL moba pvp modes.

Both of our differing viewpoints are, I guarantee, ones that Riot has debated and researched at length.
    [Deleted User]Ungood
    Ungood said:

These are legit points, great post....and one that many product managers in numerous industries wrestle with... canabilization of sales.  

Strategy for product life cycles often try to balance not hurting a mature cash cow product with a newly launched growth product.  

This is one reason why Blizzard hasn't introduced a complete alternative MMORPG product to WoW in decades... instead they developed minimal competing products to expand out and diversify their portfolio.

The issue is, if you wait too long... your cash cow eventually starts dying and that customer base moves on.  Also, LoL is strongly branded as a PvP game... now you are diluting and muddying the brand with a pure PvE game.

There really is no crystal ball on strategic calls/bets. They are hotly debated in board rooms.

Personally, a ecosystem could exist for both LoLs (moba and MMORPG with PvP features)...  IMO.  The key is to differentiate the pvp experience... exactly to your point about avoiding direct comparisons.

How?  Off of the top of my head -  large scale RvR and other non-LOL moba pvp modes.

Both of our differing viewpoints are, I guarantee, ones that Riot has debated and researched at length.
    Fair points, mainly about making the PvP very different in the MMO. In fact, perhaps making the PvP 1 vs 1 might be the best move overall, so that players could live out their fantasies of dueling other players, and the like.

So there is that option as well.

As such, while I would not fault them for putting in PvP into the MMO, as you said LOL is a PvP based game, it's a real slippery slope to do so, and something they have to be very careful with.

Not putting PvP in the MMO, could move the people that liked the PvE MMO to try the MOBA, and spike sales there again, and renew interest, and even if they didn't like the PvP in the MOBA, they could still safely return to the PvE MMO.

Equally so, not putting in PvP could make their existing MOBA fanbase feel neglected and ignored.

As you said, it's not an easy answer, the more you think about it, and I hope Riot has discussed this at length, and I wish them nothing but good luck and fortune with whatever it is they plan to do.

TwistedSister77