Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a League of Legends MMO Might Look Like | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat a League of Legends MMO Might Look Like | MMORPG.com

What would a League of Legends MMO look like? Mike weighs in on a couple of options.

Read the full story here

Babuinix

Comments

• AsthanosAsthanos Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Given their propensity for leaping on successful ideas and the large amount of existing characters they have access to, I would put money on whatever "MMO" they're making being basically a LoL skin of Genshin Impact. But I'm also a terrible gambler so who knows.
    [Deleted User]UngoodMalavant
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802
    I really hope we'll be allowed to make our own characters, if it's something akin to Genshin Impact or Marvel Avengers I'll have automatically lost all interest.
    foppoteePhixion13Gentrifried_ChickenWhiteshade92ashiru_1978HatefullDarkpigeonElonMuskstrawhat0981xDjevikand 1 other.
    I like to complain about games.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Asthanos said:
    Given their propensity for leaping on successful ideas and the large amount of existing characters they have access to, I would put money on whatever "MMO" they're making being basically a LoL skin of Genshin Impact. But I'm also a terrible gambler so who knows.
    I would play this. Just saying.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited December 2020
    There is so much lore with the races and regional zones it could be something great. Man this has been on my wishlist for a long time. For art direction you can watch this to get a feel. This also showcases 2 zones Blidgewater and Shadow Isles.
    [Deleted User]bcbully
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Greg Street has actual control of this project. Given he left Blizzard because of the direction they were taking WoW post-wotlk (you can confirm this via recorded interviews) I'd bet we won't be seeing a mobile weeb game like the haters are expecting. This will be WoW 2.0.
    Hatefull
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

Utinni said:

Greg Street has actual control of this project. Given he left Blizzard because of the direction they were taking WoW post-wotlk (you can confirm this via recorded interviews) I'd bet we won't be seeing a mobile weeb game like the haters are expecting. This will be WoW 2.0.

The cartoony similarties I wouldnt be suprised or mad tbh.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Zero interest in playing a pre-made character.

Let me create my own and we'll talk.
    gph1990
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    "Tencent, which is already the world’s largest games company in revenue terms, owns “League of Legends” developer Riot Games, an 84% stake in Supercell (“Clash of Clans”), 80% of New Zealand’s Grinding Gear Games (“Path of Exile”), 40% of Epic Games, 14.5% of Glu Mobile, 11.5% of Bluehole, and 5% stakes in Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft and Paradox Interactive."

Every company that TC owns or has majority stake in to my knowledge isn't cash grabby. I don't like Valorant or Legends of Runeterra but they aren't cash grabby. My guess is this MMO won't be cash grabby cause TC doesn't need to do gacha to make more money. Whatever you feel about that company they keep their monetization in check and their micro-transactions are really MICRO transactions. Their games usually have good deals with sales and their games usually provide more entertainment than people actually pay for in terms of money spent vs time spent playing ratio. IMO when i see them charging very small amounts for certain deals knowing they are making their profit by selling large quantities I think that's the way more game companies should monetize.

My guess is it'll be a game that will be easy access to all(Low end comps, ftp etc) type game like LoL was when it started out. They have so much money already I would think they'll make it ftp with cosmetic purchases like pretty much every single one of their other big games.
    UngoodHopestealerHatefullstrawhat0981
  • FoolOfATook39FoolOfATook39 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Zero desire to play childish, cartoony looking mmo that is also F2P trash. Good luck to them.
    Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited December 2020
    I have been remined of two things here, how cartoony LoL looks and do we really think a MOBA can give rise to a good MMORPG? It is a long way down the line and at least gamers won't "have to" put money in until the pre-orders, so we shall see.

One option they have is for the toons you play in LOL being major NPC's in the game, but have a think about threading that writing together, that's going to be some job.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I played LoL and wasn't that good and got abused for it so I stuck to the AI matches. However I do like their stable of champions because they have a fantastic variety of skills and abilities I would love to be able to control in a setting that isn't a MOBA with traditional MMO controls. I really don't enjoy the controls and movements in a MOBA.  I would really jump at a chance to play an MMO in their world and would look forward to this.

As @BruceYee pointed out their monetization isn't cash grabby.

kitarad said:
    I played LoL and wasn't that good and got abused for it so I stuck to the AI matches. However I do like their stable of champions because they have a fantastic variety of skills and abilities I would love to be able to control in a setting that isn't a MOBA with traditional MMO controls. I really don't enjoy the controls and movements in a MOBA.  I would really jump at a chance to play an MMO in their world and would look forward to this.

I would like some more on this, are we saying they don't use loot boxes have a "skin economy" anything like that?
    edited December 2020
    Scot said:
    kitarad said:

I would like some more on this, are we saying they don't use loot boxes have a "skin economy" anything like that?
    When I played which was ages ago I never spent a cent to advance. Skins is normal that is not involved in P2W at all. I never bought any skins. Do you really expect a F2P to not have skins? How do you expect them to make any money? I meant they didn't have any RNG involved in their game in your advancement like some games have things they sell in the shop to help reduce the chances of failure when you upgrade gear.

Even unlocking champions can be earned by just playing.

Of course my knowledge of the game is dated. So I could stand to be corrected if I am wrong.
    [Deleted User]

edited December 2020
    kitarad said:
    Scot said:
    kitarad said:

When I played which was ages ago I never spent a cent to advance. Skins is normal that is not involved in P2W at all. I never bought any skins. Do you really expect a F2P to not have skins? How do you expect them to make any money? I meant they didn't have any RNG involved in their game in your advancement like some games have things they sell in the shop to help reduce the chances of failure when you upgrade gear.

Of course my knowledge of the game is dated. So I could stand to be corrected if I am wrong.
    When I talk of a "skin economy" I mean skins which you get through boxes which then can be traded by players, I should have been clearer. So they don't seem to have that or RNG boxes which is good. But that mechanism to reduce the chance of failure when you upgrade gear sounds like BDO's one. That was the huge gold sink in BDO, which led to P2W, but you don't do much PvP so I am guessing it would not bother you so much?
    edited December 2020
    Scot said:
    kitarad said:
    Scot said:
    kitarad said:

When I talk of a "skin economy" I mean skins which you get through boxes which then can be traded by players, I should have been clearer. So they don't seem to have that or RNG boxes which is good. But that mechanism to reduce the chance of failure when you upgrade gear sounds like BDO's one. That was the huge gold sink in BDO, which led to P2W, but you don't do much PvP so I am guessing it would not bother you so much?
    Yeah I hardly PvP surprised you remembered that, that is very good forum etiquette on your part to recall things posters write. 

Yeah LoL does not have that RNG crap that BDO has. They have Riot Points which you can purchase for real money and buy skins and champions with but you can also get the champions by just playing and winning games and earning points that way.

Of course they have very nice skins and if I had played longer( community really got to me when they were very toxic to me) I would have bought skins. I found it hard to ignore the community. I tried moving and staying on just team versus AI but even in those  game people would come and abuse you. I guess I was a bit too sensitive and left in the end.

My son plays LOL every night a couple of games and he has a team he plays with regualrly and he is a jungler those are one of the type of game play within the game one who clears jungle camps. He has hardly spent any cash on the game. Has been playing for 9- 10 years. So I am confident you can play and succeed without sinking cash into LoL.

They make a lot of money from the sheer volume of players and a lot of them buy skins.
    [Deleted User]Scot

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Genshin impaact clone seems most likely.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    If it’s right I’ll jump in. I cared nothing about LoL I tried but I was playing real mmoRPGs. I started playing LoR about 2 months ago and can’t put it down.

The lore of LoL is no TES, Star Wars, LoTR, but damint they can build a good game. 

All in all if they give me a mmorpg with polished systems on par with there other games along with FREEDOM I’m in.

I kinda smell Overwatch though. Which I just might grab a PS5 for lol (no pun intended)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited December 2020
    bcbully said:
    If it’s right I’ll jump in. I cared nothing about LoL I tried but I was playing real mmoRPGs. I started playing LoR about 2 months ago and can’t put it down.

The lore of LoL is no TES, Star Wars, LoTR, but damint they can build a good game. 

All in all if they give me a mmorpg with polished systems on par with there other games along with FREEDOM I’m in.

I kinda smell Overwatch though. Which I just might grab a PS5 for lol (no pun intended)

I feel they have an impressive collection of lore on the individual champions and their world is quite unique. The fact is that over the years they have built up an impressive character biography and through this they have expanded the world. It has been very gradual and as their champion numbers grow so do the stories and lore. Take a gander at this 

https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/

I feel they have the material to actually do a pretty amazing world for an MMO. What's more you can play non humanoids and loads of them with varying body structures so in that sense it would outdo many current MMORPGs that just add tails and ears to an existing human body.

Dont Play Yuumi Yet New League of Legends Champion Proves Difficult  to Pilot

League of Legends - Chogath - Pepakuraeu

Sorry some of the images were not available for linking so had to scour for more.
    Post edited by kitarad on
    bcbully

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    The irony of it all , is most LoL players think they ARE playing an MMO ... 

ScotHatefullHaki88
    edited December 2020
    bcbully said:

They need a good writer or writing team, but just as importantly they need a studio set up that takes the creative director lead to formulate gameplay and setup from the writing. We heard how in WoW the "gameplay" team came up with ideas for a dlc and the writers just had to make up a story to fit. That was not the way WoW did it in the beginning, but for for years now it seems that's what they do. If as you say they can build good gameplay that's over half the game right there, so fingers crossed.
    [Deleted User]
    edited December 2020
    Mistake
    Post edited by kitarad on

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Scorchien said:

The irony of it all , is most LoL players think they ARE playing an MMO ... 

Literally no LoL players think it's an MMO.
    [Deleted User]HatefullAcalexbobbymcswanson
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I would imagine a League of Legends based MMO as being somewhere between League of Legends and a more typical MMORPG. You wouldn't have choices of races or classes, but would instead, choose a particular champion to play. You would, however, get to customize that champion a lot. Think of how in Elsword, at character creation, you choose to play Aisha or Raven or whoever, but each character has a whole lot of customization options with second classes, talent trees, skill choices, gear, and so forth.

The game would be at least nominally free to play, but sell champions and alternate skins for them. They would have the normal champions intermittently available on a rotation, and let players "buy" one or two for free, but have to pay money to get access for more than that. Rather than character slots, each champion that you've unlocked would implicitly have his own slot. Alternate skins would be the only real visual customization that characters would get, which would allow eventually bringing all of the champions to the MMO without the art budget getting way out of hand. They'd probably also try to monetize endgame grinding somehow, as you want to get money both from the people who pick one or a few champions and play them endlessly and also from those who play many different champions a little bit each.

Combat would be heavily group based and mostly instanced, but with a group finder. Premade groups would obviously be allowed, and there would be guilds, friend lists, and various social options to allow players to find and group with the same people repeatedly. It wouldn't be trinity combat, as every champion is a damage dealer, and tanking and healing options are somewhat limited.

So basically, what I'd envision has a hefty dose of League of Legends mechanics, but presented as a PVE MMORPG rather than a MOBA. That's totally different from basically using the League of Legends IP to make a completely unrelated game.
    kitarad
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    I remember a while back Riot said they wanted to make a Fighter game too. Now an mmo? Not sure why they have the desire to take a risk on niche gaming markets with extremely spoiled and particular communities.

Mend and Defend

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Never played LOL but this has very good potential to leverage a popular IP into an MMO in a way similar to what WoW did with Warcraft. It's amusing that a genre that also has its roots in Warcraft will be following suit.

One thing that has me curious though is if Nick Konkle will be involved. He was the lead game play designer for ESO all through its development and left just before the console launch to go to Riot. He is listed there currently as "Game Director" and I assume that means LOL.

He was one of the good guys at ESO and had great ideas. He was the one promoting adding the spell crafting system complete with a preliminary reveal at the Quakecon shortly before he left for Riot. That idea seemed to die with his exit and it's too bad since it would have been a logical extension of ESO's open skill system.

If I hear he's involved in this MMO that will definitely make me pay more attention.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED