Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Top 5 "this is great" mmo moments

2»

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Top 5 in no particular order:

1) Playing SWG and having a weapons shop and having random people msg me asking to make them weapons and having repeat customers. 

2) Starcraft 2: Reaching platinum and diamond ranks as I slowly get better in the game. 

3) EVE: being able to afford a carrier, making 1 billion a week in Isk (2007ish). Having people request that I make ships for them. 

4) Diablo 2: I used to duel in HC and legitimately without hacks and had adrenaline rush when i played. So any of the wins that I had with dueling. Also, getting a lvl 67 char in hardcore diablo 2 back when it first came out :). Legitimately finding Tal Rasha Armor while playing. 

5) Path of Exile: Hitting lvl 90 in hardcore for the firs time which is not so hard actually.

Honorable mention: Playing descent with a friend over modem in the early 90's. 
    AmatheAlBQuirkyScotUngood
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Every day I play Champions of Regnum, every day i get 5 new great mmo moment which were the equal or better than yesterday's 5 great moments. Each one of them, the massive and intense and dramatic stuggle for control of a fort, control of an enemy's objective and just way out hilarious happenings in the warzone. Regnum is that good for me. Hans down most epic RvbR games ive played.
    AmatheAlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited December 2020
    Some moments should go down in MMO Lore, just because they were so unusual and "one of a kind." 

In UO, being the earliest real MMORPG, there was the unexpected, as well as the bugs, that opened the door for some unusual happenings of momentous distinction. 
    One was in Alpha, I believe. I only know about it because Raph Koster told the story on his blog. 

Tools, like smith hammers, had a number of uses and when they ran out they were destroyed, and disappeared. One tool was a sewing kit for making leathers and clothes. 
    A bug, instead of deleting the sewing kit when it ran out of "charges", caused it to delete whatever it was used on instead. 
    So a tester started deleting walls and other static map item. 
    So then he sees another player running by, and he thinks to himself "hrmmm." 
    Yep, he deleted some player's character. Just deleted it. 
    Talk about getting PKed! 

Another was when a player tamed a slime. Those things, instead of being killed, they split into two of them. You had to kill them using fire to keep that from happening. 
    He tamed it and took it to his house to train up his character with something that would never die. 
    Well, it escaped out the door, and this wasn't that far from the largest city in Sosaria, Britain. Players running by were attacked, they killed it, it split, rinse and repeat. 
    Worse, some of these slime things followed players into the guard zone of Britain. Suddenly guards gated in in puffs of smoke to dispatch the slimes. But their uber powerful weapons did electrical damage, not fire, and as more slimes split into two, more guards gated in to deal with them. 
    It quickly got out of hand, and so many slimes split into two that they overran the area and cause the entire Shard to crash. 

Of course, many know of the raining Gnomes in WoW. Now that's some funny stuff. 
    And naturally the disease bug in WoW deserves mention here too. 

MMORPGs certainly have some memorable moments, like no other game type could possibly have. 

ScotAmatheAlBQuirkycameltosisPalebane

Once upon a time....

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Another great public moment...
    When Richard Garriott, as Lord British, was killed while giving a speech at the end of beta. 
    There was a bug that allowed a certain fire based spell to be cast as multiple spells at once, and while Lord British was on a bridge or wall, along with some other notables, giving his speech, a player decided to hit him with it. He was supposed to have his defense turned on, so that he couldn't take damage, but in the chaos of preparing and setting up it didn't get turned on. 
    And then chaos rained down, as our lord fell in a blaze of fire and his right hand man (Gordon? I forget who) retaliated and rained equally down upon the gathered crowd in the area of the source. 

I think I have that right, and I'm doing my best to make this entertaining, so bear with me and just enjoy.  :) 

TwistedSister77AmatheUngoodAlBQuirkyPalebane

Once upon a time....

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Something similar happened in SWG. A CSR went into a player city. He chastised two players for something. One of them started a clock on him as a warning to leave the city or be open to pvp. The CSR assumed he was immune. He wasn't (at that time) and they killed him. His last words were "you had better not ....."
    AlBQuirkyPalebane

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I'd had too many great moments, but in general these kinds stick out:

Lineage 2 castle sieges - Two large groups of players fighting each other, now it just doesnt get more epic.

Lineage 2 Tyrant class - My favorite class of all time. It was just so fun to play a glas melee machine gun.

Vanguard dungeon designs - There are so many great dungeons in that game. My favorite was probably the raid dungeon Ancient Port Warehouse.

Flying a mount in Vanguard - Now thats realistic drawing distances -- fully exploited. First time I actually stood a chance to see everything of the game world, too.

Tanking a raid boss in Vanguard - thats when I knew I was right to switch my main class from Cleric to Dread Knight

Worst MMORPG moment was when after three days of trying very hard to enjoy Guild Wars I just realized it was excruciatingly boring. Never touched it again.

PalebaneAlBQuirky
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited December 2020
    1. Everquest Cleric epic weapon (rez stick). Never felt so handy in an MMO after a wipe.

2. Hitting on lonely “women” in Second Life. I’ve always been pretty bashful, and this game really helped me come out of my shell IRL.

3. Biting people as a gnome necromancer (EQ) and infecting them with Crepitating Bowel Erosion. All hail Bertoxxulous!

4. First WoW Ragnaros clear. Took us like a month to get there and finally kill him. Our guild broke up shortly after that, so it is definitely a bittersweet memory. It also marked (in my mind) the transition of these games’ focus from social to progression. I really miss the old days.

5. Tarren Mills/Southshore PvP (WoW) just after the honor system was introduced, before battlegrounds. I’ve never been a much of a PvP player in RPG games, but this was definitely the most fun I’ve ever had doing so. Instanced zones were another mark in favor of progression over social values in MMORPGs, imo.
    Post edited by Palebane on
    AmatheAlBQuirky

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.