Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: The Up and Down of Shadowland's Linear Storytelling | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft: The Up and Down of Shadowland's Linear Storytelling | MMORPG.com

Robin reflects on how the latest expansion for World of Warcraft, Shadowlands, tells its story as she works through the new content.

Read the full story here

Comments

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    At first i was shocked it was linear, now that i'm in the last zone, HUGE fan of this approach.

To nutshell it i've summed it up this way.

It's like playing an RPG, and then on to the mmorpg.

It's one time too, but yeah at first i thought this has gone to far this is stupid af to force us through this way, i play mmorpg's for freedom ffs.

I imagine at first too it felt like such a long haul, in that omg so far to unlock the game, however at that time i had no idea how immensely enjoyable that journey would be.
    [Deleted User]ZenJellyseraphis79
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Someone in my guild said in chat that Bastion reminds her of the TV show, The Good Place :) I see her point: there's goodness there to the point of being nonsensically goofy.

I enjoyed the 4 zone's variety a lot. They were starkly different from each other while still very much being part of the whole.

On my first play through (I have 2 60's already :) ) I must have played the way Blizzard intended: I stuck mostly to campaign quests with only 3 or 4 dungeon runs and a bit of dabbling into side quests but not too much. The end result was that I was at a sliver below 60 when it was time to do the last quest in Revendreth (aligning the mirrors) that actually requires that you be 60. I just did one side quest and that did the trick so I could carry on.

I wasn't around for the past couple of expansions where they ditched the linear zone progression so this just feels normal to me. From the bit I have dabbled in Legion and BfA I felt those stories were just too disjointed. It's like I have t keep reminding myself there's a main story thread around there somewhere and it will all make sense eventually but it doesn't make much sense when you're constantly sidetracked.

Shadowland's story is tighter and IMO linear story telling is the best way to tell stories. Any post One Tamriel ESO player can tell you that the main plot can become very confusing and almost inaccessible if you play it just going where you want when you want in whatever order. You can tune in to the zone's plot and follow that but the popularity of the many player guides out there suggesting the proper order to go through the zones to get the most out of the several main story arcs it now has, makes it pretty clear that those players who care about story - and not all do - want to make it linear even when it isn't. Like I said, for story telling purposes, it's the way to go,

My second 60 BTW is a Vengeance Demon Hunter I've just fallen in love with to the point I'm barely playing the Afflock I thought was my main :)

I've always loved casual self healing while I focus on doing damage (Warrior Priest in Warhammer Online, Chloromancer in Rift, etc.) and the DH play just like that.
    xpsync[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Yeah , they are trying the FFXIV approach.

or ESO, they're just doing what other big name mmorpg's are doing, only a trillion times better if you ask me, how the story is woven in to things like traveling to the next destination, it's so immersive compared to ffxiv and eso.

I mean ffxiv, sure great game, but when you can pay (which i did to play with a friend) to skip the extremely drawn out, overly long corridor quest chain, i dunno kinda screams major problem with the design, and eso is just one huge voiced starter zone, i dunno the game just gets stale af so fast to me, other people love it.

Here, i'm sure i'm rare and can be done faster, but a week later and i'm on the verge of opening up the entire game for freedom of play, that will never happen in xiv, and never f'ing ends in eso. i mean for what i like in an "mmorpg" wow does it in spades.

It's just always to bad EQ2 had to destroy what it once was to be more like wow, when wow is EQ2 only easier, now eq2 is even easier than wow, which doesn't work for it as it was never designed to be like that.
    [Deleted User]JeroKaneseraphis79[Deleted User]

Iselin said:

Someone in my guild said in chat that Bastion reminds her of the TV show, The Good Place :) I see her point: there's goodness there to the point of being nonsensically goofy.

I enjoyed the 4 zone's variety a lot. They were starkly different from each other while still very much being part of the whole.

On my first play through (I have 2 60's already :) ) I must have played the way Blizzard intended: I stuck mostly to campaign quests with only 3 or 4 dungeon runs and a bit of dabbling into side quests but not too much. The end result was that I was at a sliver below 60 when it was time to do the last quest in Revendreth (aligning the mirrors) that actually requires that you be 60. I just did one side quest and that did the trick so I could carry on.

I wasn't around for the past couple of expansions where they ditched the linear zone progression so this just feels normal to me. From the bit I have dabbled in Legion and BfA I felt those stories were just too disjointed. It's like I have t keep reminding myself there's a main story thread around there somewhere and it will all make sense eventually but it doesn't make much sense when you're constantly sidetracked.

Shadowland's story is tighter and IMO linear story telling is the best way to tell stories. Any post One Tamriel ESO player can tell you that the main plot can become very confusing and almost inaccessible if you play it just going where you want when you want in whatever order. You can tune in to the zone's plot and follow that but the popularity of the many player guides out there suggesting the proper order to go through the zones to get the most out of the several main story arcs it now has, makes it pretty clear that those players who care about story - and not all do - want to make it linear even when it isn't. Like I said, for story telling purposes, it's the way to go,

My second 60 BTW is a Vengeance Demon Hunter I've just fallen in love with to the point I'm barely playing the Afflock I thought was my main :)

I've always loved casual self healing while I focus on doing damage (Warrior Priest in Warhammer Online, Chloromancer in Rift, etc.) and the DH play just like that.

I have stuck 100% to the main story line and twice i was told i need to be level xx to continue.

The first time, i had just flown to a place where there are no mobs, handed in the quest and was told i need to be level xx to proceed, no lie, i only needed 20xp. I had to fly all the way back, kill a mob and then fly all the way back again to continue lmao!

The second time i wasn't so lucky, had about a quarter of a level to fill out, my one son takes it all and was 60 way before he finished the all the story, the other was mainly staying to story, and he had to get a few bars so he ran a dungeon. Me i explored, harvested, mined, and killed mobs, hey i was in Ardenweald, no explanation necessary, was my pleasure.

On discord we talked about it and yeah, take it all or do not take it all, normally i would take it all having a little completionism tendency but here i did not? My reasoning was that if i ever feel like exploring an area/zone i'll have some content to go with it and i know I will be taking alts through so some fresh content to go along with it.

Once i'm done the story then i don't care, i'll be doing dungeons, totally getting into crafting, and yeah i have mythic, and raids on the radar, in a great guild for all that.

I've mastered Affliction again, but... you know when you start playing with someone but don't group you just know each other needs this and that and automatically work together for a bit, well was with a destruction warlock and yeah, omg, prolly going to switch as i drop on my corruption or agony, you know warming up, he/she has noticed i tagged then obliterates the mob before i can even get another spell off lmao.

• tankrdtankrd Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Bastion is one of the worst zones I’ve played in long time. Seems like it uses a variety of 3 colours at the most. Very boring and unattractive. When I recently got back in the game and started a new character the exiled lands (amazingly engaging and beautifully created zone) and was even more impressed as I’ve gone to BfA zones especially Drustvar (dark and mysterious zone a la Blair witch) Then i went to shadowlands upon launch and I was quite unimpressed.
    ZenJelly
  • UrdenUrden Member UncommonPosts: 51

tankrd said:

Bastion is one of the worst zones I’ve played in long time. Seems like it uses a variety of 3 colours at the most. Very boring and unattractive. When I recently got back in the game and started a new character the exiled lands (amazingly engaging and beautifully created zone) and was even more impressed as I’ve gone to BfA zones especially Drustvar (dark and mysterious zone a la Blair witch) Then i went to shadowlands upon launch and I was quite unimpressed.

The term different strokes for different folks comes to mind when I read this. I'll be honest my initial reaction was that you were absolutely crazy (sorry!). I haven't been as impressed with a zone as I had with Bastion in a very long time. It looks incredible and the limited colour palate works fantastic, second in looks imo only to Ardenweald. I agree that Drustvar was the best looking zone of BfA but it doesn't match up to what I see in Bastion and Ardenweald. Maldraxxus was a good contrast to the clean looking Bastion so I enjoyed the completely different look through the story progression. I haven't been to Revendrenth so I can't comment on it but it's the zone I'm looking forward to the most. So far this expansion has blown me away in the looks department. Even Oribos looks amazing and fitting.

As far as the OP, I prefer the linear storytelling for leveling, at least for the first character. I also enjoy having to wait to see what's next and for me that makes each new area special. If you can just go wherever whenever I feel like the progression isn't real or earned. Maybe I'm too old school but I still remember flying over Badlands and the Burning Steps during vanilla and seeing mobs that had red text. Knowing if I went there I'd die. I had to work up to it. Build up my character and earn it.
    xpsync
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Worst Exp they have done imo .. so far ..

Really not grabbing me ..The setting and story lines

I get carried around like a sack of groceries by some uppity over the top green guys

Forced to fly around on a Giant Armored Sperm

Then some over the top undead and ohh a Sword in a Stone .. orginal

Work for some silly ass fairies that turn me into a giant bird and make me dry hump another bird with mating calls
      Silly ass woodland shits yelling for help every 100 yards ..

"Hump my Bird "!!!

" Save my Squirrel" !!!

' Collect my Acorns"!!!

FFS  ................... F Off

etc .. etc .. everything feels forced and contrived , and just downright unimaginative .. the well is dry ..
    ZenJellyseraphis79[Deleted User]deniter
    edited November 2020

xpsync said:

Yeah , they are trying the FFXIV approach.

or ESO, they're just doing what other big name mmorpg's are doing, only a trillion times better if you ask me, how the story is woven in to things like traveling to the next destination, it's so immersive compared to ffxiv and eso.

I mean ffxiv, sure great game, but when you can pay (which i did to play with a friend) to skip the extremely drawn out, overly long corridor quest chain, i dunno kinda screams major problem with the design, and eso is just one huge voiced starter zone, i dunno the game just gets stale af so fast to me, other people love it.

Here, i'm sure i'm rare and can be done faster, but a week later and i'm on the verge of opening up the entire game for freedom of play, that will never happen in xiv, and never f'ing ends in eso. i mean for what i like in an "mmorpg" wow does it in spades.

It's just always to bad EQ2 had to destroy what it once was to be more like wow, when wow is EQ2 only easier, now eq2 is even easier than wow, which doesn't work for it as it was never designed to be like that.

lol a trillion times better. Tons of people don't skip FFXIV's story and love it. Honestly there are plenty of people who use skip potions in WoW as well. Blizzard even put in their own palace of the dead because why not its done well in ffxiv too. After your done with the story you are free to do as you wish in ESO and FFXIV. It's funny though I already have seen some WoW players bitching about having to play through a linear story. Not to mention in ESO you can ignore the main story after the starter island.

Different strokes for different folks, i know tons of people love those games, i think you missed some key words in what i'm saying "gets stale af so fast (to me), (other people) love it."

They're just not my thing.

ESO combat is my main dislike, which is the most critical, important component any mmorpg, and xiv the forever story, which i never got through but paid to unlock the rest to play with a friend and what a waste of money that was as we started we both got bored, and no that's not a bad thing many, many , many players love ESO and XIV as they are so story and voice driven, and surprise, surprise 100% why blizz did that in shadowlands.

However why i said it was only a trillion times batter was that becaseu to me it is a trillion times better, it's not overly drawn out to me, it's only one time and comparatively to xiv short af, and all of eso is like that and yeah sometimes too much of a good thing you know and probably why i don't like it as i just like to kill shit cause i love the combat where in eso i don't like the combat, it's focus is more about voiced stories.

• UrdenUrden Member UncommonPosts: 51

Scorchien said:

I get carried around like a sack of groceries by some uppity over the top green guys

Work for some silly ass fairies that turn me into a giant bird and make me dry hump another bird with mating calls

"Hump my Bird "!!!

" Save my Squirrel" !!!

' Collect my Acorns"!!!

etc .. etc .. everything feels forced and contrived , and just downright unimaginative .. the well is dry ..

I'm not sure what you were expecting. Yet you're still playing. Time to find a new game I guess.
    Urden said:

Scorchien said:

"Hump my Bird "!!!

" Save my Squirrel" !!!

' Collect my Acorns"!!!

I'm not sure what you were expecting. Yet you're still playing. Time to find a new game I guess.

been playing since launch , and ill play thru to endgame , i will enjoy the endgame .., always have

The journey here is shit ...imo

Scorchien said:

Urden said:

Scorchien said:

"Hump my Bird "!!!

" Save my Squirrel" !!!

' Collect my Acorns"!!!

been playing since launch , and ill play thru to endgame , i will enjoy the endgame .., always have

Being an endgame player, i'm not sure anyone is expecting you to enjoy the journey anyway.

xpsync said:

Scorchien said:

Urden said:

Scorchien said:

"Hump my Bird "!!!

" Save my Squirrel" !!!

' Collect my Acorns"!!!

Being an endgame player, i'm not sure anyone is expecting you to enjoy the journey anyway.

Nahh not true

Enjoyed the journey in Classic and the other exp

Enjoyed the journey for 23 years in UO

Enjoyed the journet for 15 years in LOTRO

Enjoyed the journey in FF14

in AC

in AO.... etc etc

Shadowlands in contrived ridiculous shit imo

I struggle to find any reason for entertainment in it .. Its ridiculously easy , with 0 challenge .. Helen Keller could do it

The story lines are horrible

The settings terrible .. cant wait to move on to end game on last area now
  • ragebulletragebullet Member UncommonPosts: 55

Scorchien said:

xpsync said:

Scorchien said:

Urden said:

Scorchien said:

"Hump my Bird "!!!

" Save my Squirrel" !!!

' Collect my Acorns"!!!

Nahh not true

Enjoyed the journey in Classic and the other exp

Enjoyed the journey for 23 years in UO

Enjoyed the journet for 15 years in LOTRO

Enjoyed the journey in FF14

in AC

in AO.... etc etc

Shadowlands in contrived ridiculous shit imo

I struggle to find any reason for entertainment in it .. Its ridiculously easy , with 0 challenge .. Helen Keller could do it

The story lines are horrible

The settings terrible .. cant wait to move on to end game on last area now

you should just dungeon your way to cap level if you hate the leveling process with questing. just a tip
    xpsync
  • TalraekkTalraekk Member UncommonPosts: 255
    I have my.... issues with Shadowlands. I feel, first and foremost it's the most graphically beautiful expansion to date. Each zone feels unique, and looks gorgeous. Second, it tells a good story. Leveling is fun (for the most part) and the story urges you onward.
    My issues with it are all quest based, level based, class based, talent based. I am so tired of quests, doesn't matter if they are normal quests, daily, world, that just getting through the main game to 60 was a huge slog, even with the story piquing my interest. Without a Class or Alternate talents (not these one off previews of what you can get from covenants that it gives you that you don't know about(without research)).
    I slogged (literally) through its quests to 60 to unlock account wide covenants so I wouldn't need to on alts, even though I wanted to play alts more. When I could play alts, I'm already burned out.
    xpsync
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    I got to 60 and an item level 173 and now I am burned out. Dont know but the exp is hyped up- with nothing to show for.
    xpsyncseraphis79

mmorpg junkie since 1999

If you're burned out play something else, unless you're just suffering from mmorpg burn out in general.

Over week later i'm not even at cap yet. Probably tonight. I think of how much is still in front of me and i'm itching to start in on a alt but i want to have a decent handle on the game first.

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Amazing environments, immersive story and the characters are likable. My only gripe is the lack of character progression. I don't feel like I'm any different from start to finish (There are rank up's to some spells but I don't feel like they're really changing anything?).

I just don't feel like my character is much different moving from BfA into Shadowlands. But I guess this is the Blizzard "Ability Bloat" paranoia they've developed over the last few years.

To compare, FF14 always makes my character feel like they've improved from their journey. That they've progressed in some way. But, to be fair, FF14 has always been better at class fantasy than WoW.
  • ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

Linif said:

Amazing environments, immersive story and the characters are likable. My only gripe is the lack of character progression. I don't feel like I'm any different from start to finish (There are rank up's to some spells but I don't feel like they're really changing anything?).

I just don't feel like my character is much different moving from BfA into Shadowlands. But I guess this is the Blizzard "Ability Bloat" paranoia they've developed over the last few years.

To compare, FF14 always makes my character feel like they've improved from their journey. That they've progressed in some way. But, to be fair, FF14 has always been better at class fantasy than WoW.

I feel this in bucketloads. The covenant abilities help some, but it's mostly the same playstyle and I want all the same stats as ever. Which I also realize is ironic because there are other classes/specs out there who wish Blizz would stop reinventing them every xpac.

I think this is also made worse since I was so highly geared that I didn't start replacing gear until the end of Ardenweald. Which means until about mid Revendreth I was overgeared still, and near the end of that zone started to feel weak because since I wasn't overgeared anymore things started to hurt me a bit. I know a lot of people hate replacing all the raid gear as soon as an expansion launches, but I feel like that would help with making it feel like our characters are getting stronger throughout leveling rather than weaker.

Also to be fair, I am still salty that even in the unpurgening I still don't have MotW back.
    IselinxpsyncLinif

Linif said:

It wasn't until the last zone (where i am now) that i started upgrading gear so yeah wouldn't feel any differnt from start to finish obv.

Arlee said:

Linif said:

I feel this in bucketloads. The covenant abilities help some, but it's mostly the same playstyle and I want all the same stats as ever. Which I also realize is ironic because there are other classes/specs out there who wish Blizz would stop reinventing them every xpac.

I think this is also made worse since I was so highly geared that I didn't start replacing gear until the end of Ardenweald. Which means until about mid Revendreth I was overgeared still, and near the end of that zone started to feel weak because since I wasn't overgeared anymore things started to hurt me a bit. I know a lot of people hate replacing all the raid gear as soon as an expansion launches, but I feel like that would help with making it feel like our characters are getting stronger throughout leveling rather than weaker.

Also to be fair, I am still salty that even in the unpurgening I still don't have MotW back.

Hmm never noticed this post which is the same conclusion as mine right after lol, i didn't really start replacing gear until the last zone which hell yeah not going to feel any character progression at all.

Thing is i died tons through out. My sons and i hang on a channel if we all not into something with other players. From the grunts lol i find out that my dedicated wow player son who was even more over geared than i was i mean i was broke, he was full on broken af, well he was dying all the time too. He's a damn good player, aotc, cutting edge all that.

We discussed and what we think is we were to used to playing broken was the real problem, oh go hand this in just run straight for it agro'ing everything along the way and that was ok when broken right, here not so much.

Anyway got me thinking that my warlock, hunter and shaman are all broken, but i never got my pally up there, i'm not even close to il 100, like 80 maybe.

Well to the point i'm thinking i probably would have had even more fun on that character as i'm sure as early as the first zone i'd be starting to replace gear and feeling progression throughout.

So yeah we don't replace gear right away as the masses cheered, only to find out, the only difference was that it was merely postponed a couple zones, as by the very end you did and everyone is 140 anyway.

Reading people feeling the game is the same, i felt that way back in cata and why i stopped playing up until mid bfa, sure was back every xpac and alwasy felt the same, i dunno a decade break i guess but i could not be more enamored atm, i mean my other son stopped playing all together 4/5 years ago and he's back with a f'ing vengeance, they're raiding this coming Tuesday ffs lol. Me i just joined the night fae last night lol.

When i completed the 4 zone story line i had a moment where i'm like that was so f'ing epic, what a journey, what a memory, then i'm sure this isn't a spoiler, and anyone whom joined Night Fae will know what i'm talking about, but the recap play OMFG did i ever enjoy that, brilliant blizz, brilliant! I dunno if that was fae only or all covenants get it, but yeah, that was so awesome!

• ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

xpsync said:

Arlee said:

Linif said:

Hmm never noticed this post which is the same conclusion as mine right after lol, i didn't really start replacing gear until the last zone which hell yeah not going to feel any character progression at all.

Thing is i died tons through out. My sons and i hang on a channel if we all not into something with other players. From the grunts lol i find out that my dedicated wow player son who was even more over geared than i was i mean i was broke, he was full on broken af, well he was dying all the time too. He's a damn good player, aotc, cutting edge all that.

We discussed and what we think is we were to used to playing broken was the real problem, oh go hand this in just run straight for it agro'ing everything along the way and that was ok when broken right, here not so much.

Anyway got me thinking that my warlock, hunter and shaman are all broken, but i never got my pally up there, i'm not even close to il 100, like 80 maybe.

Well to the point i'm thinking i probably would have had even more fun on that character as i'm sure as early as the first zone i'd be starting to replace gear and feeling progression throughout.

So yeah we don't replace gear right away as the masses cheered, only to find out, the only difference was that it was merely postponed a couple zones, as by the very end you did and everyone is 140 anyway.

Reading people feeling the game is the same, i felt that way back in cata and why i stopped playing up until mid bfa, sure was back every xpac and alwasy felt the same, i dunno a decade break i guess but i could not be more enamored atm, i mean my other son stopped playing all together 4/5 years ago and he's back with a f'ing vengeance, they're raiding this coming Tuesday ffs lol. Me i just joined the night fae last night lol.

When i completed the 4 zone story line i had a moment where i'm like that was so f'ing epic, what a journey, what a memory, then i'm sure this isn't a spoiler, and anyone whom joined Night Fae will know what i'm talking about, but the recap play OMFG did i ever enjoy that, brilliant blizz, brilliant! I dunno if that was fae only or all covenants get it, but yeah, that was so awesome!

That's really interesting to hear too. I think the main difference between our experiences are due to the differences between leveling as a tank vs not tank. The only time I died while leveling was when I did something completely crazy. Like falling off a cliff or something. I mostly could pull anything and generally they wouldn't do much damage to me. Halfway through Revendreth that became a bit different and I wold actually need to heal some.

And yea, the play is Night Fae only and really is the best damn thing. Especially if you pay attention to the audience reactions. It's fantabulous :)
    xpsync
  • WebferretWebferret Member UncommonPosts: 90
    First time in the history of WoW I have been not overly impressed. Got my main to 60, and don't have the drive to run any more toons up. Find the linear progression dull and boring. Covenants are implemented poorly (Gawd help when/if you need to change(once they bring that in) the grind to up the new choice will be a pain I bet).

Shadownlands has actually giving me that thought of 'It might be finally time to move on from WoW"..............
    seraphis79
  • seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Worse expansion to date in my opinion. Managed to force myself through the shallow story only to run into the brick wall of the same mechanics of the last several expansions. I couldn't even manage to keep reading the quest text one I made it to Ard. I swapped to campaign quests only just to get it over with. Pretty big disappointment.

At this point I don't know if WoW has anything to offer me anymore with the exception of a large player base which leads to quicker queues than other games.
    edited December 2020

Webferret said:

First time in the history of WoW I have been not overly impressed. Got my main to 60, and don't have the drive to run any more toons up. Find the linear progression dull and boring. Covenants are implemented poorly (Gawd help when/if you need to change(once they bring that in) the grind to up the new choice will be a pain I bet).

Shadownlands has actually giving me that thought of 'It might be finally time to move on from WoW"..............

Only your first run is linear. https://www.wowhead.com/news=317933/the-threads-of-fate-shadowlands-adventure-mode-leveling-for-alts

No worries i had falling off cliffs mastered by the end. :)

Tank was a major difference thinking about it as my other son is a tank and never heard him complain about dying.

Agreed the play was 100% OMG! This is so good! I could see picking night fae again on an alt and not only because it's the best zone, but just to run though that play once again.

I've joined my covenant, and feeling a tad overwhelmed with choices, stuff to do and figure out what's what, which is a good thing ofc, but tbh i'm feeling like i want to run through the whole story again already (with a tank! /jk my ele shaman), and never thought i'd say this but...

In linear mode again, it was such a fun and interesting journey overall, a real memorable experience that even though it took me just over week to complete i feel like i could have slowed down and reveled in the experience even more. Which i'll do but atm want to get my main up to speed on everything first.