Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Reroll: Dark Age Of Camelot | MMORPG.com

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Xodic said:
    PvP is broken.
    You'll find out why once you run into two groups of skalds and shadowblades controlled by one person with macros.

You die instantly, and completely. Even a little bit of your soul is lost in the process.
    Disappointing if Broadsword permits this to happen, the free shards never permitted such and actively banned anyone attempting to multi-box, at least was true when I last played them.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    edited November 2020
    Just a minor note, there was no real End Game in DAoC, it was simply the fact that if you went into PvP and were not maxed level, you would be at a severe disadvantage, so, being max level was like their idea of "equal footing" to the game. I mean, obviously given how bad the pvp balance was back then, it really didn't mean much.

But, like any game of that era, there was a lot of testing going on, with very little understanding of how Gamers were going to behave in these massive world games.

and to be fair.. 20 years later.. we have Dev's like these working on New World that were like "Geeze mate, we put in open world PvP and their was ganking and body camping going on.. like.. who would have thought it" so... it's not like the new Devs are anymore clued in, just the old gamers are looking at them like "Are you really this daft?"

YashaXTwistedSister77
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited November 2020
    Sovrath said:
    lahnmir said:
    Lol, guy goes into an old game as a newb and gets jumped on because he should have picked “arbitrary class X,” then should have played an “arbitrary X amount” of hours and also should have looked at it through “arbitrary time appropriate” glasses. Give him a break, his opinion is his opinion based on what he did, not on what some wanted him to do.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

You can't go into an old game and expect it to be designed around game play and ideas that new games had.

As far as "arbitrary hours/classes" that's "whatever."

The thing is I'm sure certain classes can "solo" better and blah blah blah. As far as hours, as long as one is aligned with what the game is doing then it shouldn't take long to know if you like it.

But one certainly can't expect an old game to play like a new game. It's just not designed that way.

These old games were about guilds and grouping and in this case, banding together against your enemies with your own "side."

an opinion means nothing if it's misplaced. I don't watch a rom-com and express my opinion that it doesn't have enough action.

I don't watch an action movie and lament character development.

If your opinion is that sand isn't wet enough I'm just going to shake my head.
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    edited November 2020
    "I’m not sure what the later levels will bring, but in the early stages all you get is bland fighting. Your character and foe simply stand there facing each other. Every few seconds you’ll take a swing at your opponent or vise versa."

This is the main problem with this re-roll, re-view. You picked a non-fighting class, and tried to solo for a short time. The worst of all choices.

I played a Minstrel, which has a large range of fighting, crowd control, and other specials like buffs. And the mini can tame beasts. You end up managing a pet, twisting musical instrument buffs, and using various attacks all at the same time. Throw in several stuns and mezzes on their own timers. Far different than just standing there swinging a sword every few seconds. Very good to solo with.

The Cabalist was also a favorite. Again, you are managing a pet and casting combinations of debuffs and nukes (Spirit Cab). Also a good toon to solo with.

This re-roll is like trying to drive an old car, but you only stayed in first gear, and only drove for a block. Then said it was too boring.
    Kyleran

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• virindi11virindi11 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    what a worthless article. the game released in 2004. of course is doesn't hold up to today's standards. you don't play way-back-games for the point of seeing if they can compare to 2015+ AAA games.

holy crap about half of your review is about character creation? the wut?????

how do you feel about a game that paved the way for future games? systems in place that worked really well (3 factions) that so many other games do not get and continue to not get (WOW, etc.) crafting, dungeons, leveling, etc. skills based attacks, realm v. realm pvp, etc.

this review is hilarious shallow, devoid of historical analysis or any critical thinking tbh, and demonstrates pretty accurately the severe incompetence on part of the author.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,978
    virindi11 said:
    what a worthless article. the game released in 2004. of course is doesn't hold up to today's standards. you don't play way-back-games for the point of seeing if they can compare to 2015+ AAA games.

holy crap about half of your review is about character creation? the wut?????

how do you feel about a game that paved the way for future games? systems in place that worked really well (3 factions) that so many other games do not get and continue to not get (WOW, etc.) crafting, dungeons, leveling, etc. skills based attacks, realm v. realm pvp, etc.

this review is hilarious shallow, devoid of historical analysis or any critical thinking tbh, and demonstrates pretty accurately the severe incompetence on part of the author.
    Welcome to the forums! :)

Always good to have new passionate gamers onboard.
  • GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262

Splattr said:

koldmiser said:

First of all DAoC is NOT a PVP focused game. I spent years playing it and rarely PVP, but will say it still has the best system. Their Realm vs Realm idea was fantastic and gave purpose to PVP.

This was my first MMO experience and I played it for years. Shadow Knights on Morgan Le Fey!

Three realms that can't play together cooperatively unless it's on the single pve server. Battlegrounds. RvR scoreboard on their website. Part of the tutorial pushes you into Battlegrounds. Realm vs realm bonuses.

That sounds pretty pvp focused to me. Sure there is pve content, just like pve focused games have pvp content in them.

It is pvp focused "now". That's why the game died. Mark Jacobs said in an Interview that when the game was at it's peak , that more than half of the people playing never set foot in rvr. When they trivialized pve the game died.

It still has a small dedicated pvp player base. Personally I never cared for it, Pvp is all CC and everyone runs basically the same groups. 1v1 in battlegrounds was fun , but the group pvp was very poor at least imo. Unless you like being mezzed, stunned, nearsighted 90% of your gameplay.

I played at release for about 3.5yrs and then again later for another 1.5 and I'd say about 2% of my time was spent in pvp.
    Scot[Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Gilcroix said:

Splattr said:

koldmiser said:

First of all DAoC is NOT a PVP focused game. I spent years playing it and rarely PVP, but will say it still has the best system. Their Realm vs Realm idea was fantastic and gave purpose to PVP.

This was my first MMO experience and I played it for years. Shadow Knights on Morgan Le Fey!

Three realms that can't play together cooperatively unless it's on the single pve server. Battlegrounds. RvR scoreboard on their website. Part of the tutorial pushes you into Battlegrounds. Realm vs realm bonuses.

That sounds pretty pvp focused to me. Sure there is pve content, just like pve focused games have pvp content in them.

It is pvp focused "now". That's why the game died. Mark Jacobs said in an Interview that when the game was at it's peak , that more than half of the people playing never set foot in rvr. When they trivialized pve the game died.

It still has a small dedicated pvp player base. Personally I never cared for it, Pvp is all CC and everyone runs basically the same groups. 1v1 in battlegrounds was fun , but the group pvp was very poor at least imo. Unless you like being mezzed, stunned, nearsighted 90% of your gameplay.

I played at release for about 3.5yrs and then again later for another 1.5 and I'd say about 2% of my time was spent in pvp.
    I agree and I disagree.   Absolutely many people played DAOC with a PvE focus.  It’s ability to meld game styles in a meaningful way is what made it special.  That said, I believe that TOA is what caused the demise of the game.  It introduced a massive PvE grind for players that had already leveled their characters and were focused on PvP. It also, in general, just wasn’t a good expansion.

[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I played on Gaheris the PvE server so I was very much into the PvE but they changed it a lot and I'm sure they lost some of those players too.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    I was with you right up until you recommended Camelot Unchained.
    [Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,978
    Gilcroix said:

Splattr said:

koldmiser said:

I agree and I disagree.   Absolutely many people played DAOC with a PvE focus.  It’s ability to meld game styles in a meaningful way is what made it special.  That said, I believe that TOA is what caused the demise of the game.  It introduced a massive PvE grind for players that had already leveled their characters and were focused on PvP. It also, in general, just wasn’t a good expansion.
    I played a few months after it launched for a year and a bit. Back then we had players who did no PvP, and after I left even more came out for them to do. This was back when MMO's had expansions not a new dlc or two.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I can't imagine playing DAoC for the PvE. Its PvE was mediocre at best even for its day.

The best PvE it had IMO, was Darkness Falls and that was tied to the RvR. You were also never truly away from the PvP in there since stealthers from the previous controlling realm could still be around after the initial push to evict them.

The only thing that set it apart was its RvR which is still the gold standard. It was the game that really opened my eyes to the potential of large scale PvP to be organized like and benefit from the same basic tactics that real world armies used in the old days.

As a board war gamer before I was a computer gamer, who particularly enjoyed Napoleonic and earlier simulations (Musket and Pike anyone?) DAoC's RvR with the extra spice of it being 3 sided, really appealed to me. Nothing more fun than planning Relic raids with distractions and feints and then executing them and reacting to the inevitable chaos.

It was good, thinking person's PvP - that's what made it special. The PvE was just run of the mill EQ wannabe.

YashaXUngood[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited November 2020
    Yes it is true the PvE was pretty bad but what it had in spades was the variation and divergences in skills and classes and that gave a lot of interesting possibilities for a person who loves to make one toon after another. I just enjoyed it and I took up every type of crafting and since the PvE server had no restrictions to sending stuff across the sides my toons were dressed up and had fantastic colours for the armour and great weapons all crafted by moi.

The wonderful thing about gaming is finding different ways to play a game. What might seem not terribly interesting to one player can mean a whole different thing to another player. It kept me engrossed a full year so I'd say Dark Age of Camelot was a pretty great PvE experience.
    YashaXKyleranScot[Deleted User]

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    You might as well call these "A Clueless Newb Plays".

I mean you write an article about DAoC and don't even get into RvR or RRs. You have no idea how combat works in a RvR setting. 

Speed buffs, following, mez, positional attacks, shields, barriers, stealth, archery... there's a ton of stuff that goes on in DAoC combat and this guy melees stuff with a cleric.

If you are thinking about trying this game out just know that there is a hell of a lot more to it than this pathetic article ever even gets close to dipping into.

/hood

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Nice review, please try Dungeons and Dragons Online next, I think you will have a much better time.
    Ungood
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This is one I should have played.
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Probably should have this sort of review done by folks over 30 or so....

;)
    Scot

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    I look at old MMOs that I loved in their day - I was there at release and for 3 years after that - the same way I remember my first car which was a 57 Chevy Belair I got for $100 :)

It was an awesome car and collectors these days pay a mint for a well preserved one but give me my modern car with a GPS. heated seats and smartphone plug in any day of the week.

The hype for WoW Classic got to me last year so I decided to give it a go to see if I would still enjoy it as much as I did when it launched... I didn't. I found it annoying.

'57 Chevy for $100... you are "Legendary".  

You sir, I challenge to a Pong Match! :D
    Well it was in 1968 when gas was $0.25 a gallon. And it was automatic and white. If it'd been a stick shift and that nice two-tone blue it would have probably cost $200 :)
    I have recently been treating myself to a trip down memory lane by rewatching The Rockford Files (1974). In one scene he pulls into a gas station and tells a guy (!) to put $3.00 in (!). I miss those days.
    kitaradIselinSovrath

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    koldmiser said:

I would say it was pretty PVP focused but I also only dabbled in the PvP then.  I loved the PvE game. . which now seems rather grindy.  I liked my class and my guild though :) 

I forget what it was called initially but we ended up joining/becoming Cornwall United Infantry.  Good times :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Wizardry said:
    LOL someone mentioned two things that tells me it is an utter CRAP game.

1 End game
    2 I need to get to end game to see a GAME?

I guess that would explain why when I tried it a long time ago and I quit in the first hour.I don't WAIT for games to get good and idc one bit about end game,not one iota at all.

rvr a good fit,well see you forget pve already,why would rvr be good at all if idc about pvp at all?Why would you even try to mix the two has always baffled me because they are complete opposite type of games/gameplay.
    I want EVERY single level to feel important and i want levels to last awhile so they actually do have at least SOME meaning and satisfaction.

If i had my way nobody would ever be allowed to get more than one level a week.The dev SHOULD be creating content and a world people want to interact and engage with,we shouldn't be focused on level numbers that mean absolutely nothing.
    Level numbers are just lockout mechanics and we don't need levels to accomplish the same idea just like we don't NEED RVR for players to interact with each other.
    When I went back it was the controls :)  I switched to the other 'newer' layout and it was still crazy.  I don't know how I played with the original keyboard layout.  SWG is similar.  I would be amazed if many people lasted past the first hour if they still use that configuration as the default.
    Sovrath

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    Kyleran said:

;)
    I wish I was only 30.
    Scot
    Splattr said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    I wish I was only 30.
    I wish most of my children weren't over 30.

:# 
    Scot

Kyleran said:

;)
    Gonna be honest, I would rather see the old games reviewed by Gen Z players, as they will shape the games of the future. But it would be great to see how someone who enjoys the modern games feels about the old school games, with no frame of reference to "back in the day" of EQ and UO, where if we died, we lost a whole days worth of EXP, and the real risk of losing some/all of our worn gear. 

[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

OG_Zorvan said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Gonna be honest, I would rather see the old games reviewed by Gen Z players, as they will shape the games of the future. 

I don't need to know the opinion of some ADHD addled Gen Z who forgets what he was going to do 2 minutes after turning the game on. I can look at mobile games to see exactly where their head is at.
    This kind of negative jaded view the new generation of gamers, is exactly why I would like to see what they have to say, what makes them tick, and what would get them into a genera I enjoy, which would keep it current, active, and profitable, as opposed to listening to some grumpy old timer that is living in yesteryear.

[Deleted User]

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    reading the comments to the reviewer makes me realize this game still sucks.
    Ungood