Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online 2 Is Aiming To Break A World Record In Next Beta Test | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Mars_OMG said:
    crashed for me, every time :|

which error?

i have a 10y old pc and i can run it even tho at 35fps in towns
    Curious.  Are you running a NVidia 580?  And an Intel Core 980 or something?

Impressive if you get 35fps with equipment like that, but let’s just say I’m skeptical.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited November 2020
    For those who are curious or are saying “It’s only Alpha”.  Heinrich the head developer said he expects the game to launch by the end of the year.  He said this in Discord and it’s also on their website.

So this puppy is headed straight off the same cliff that MO1 did.

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    YashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2020
    For those who are curious or are saying “It’s only Alpha”.  Heinrich the head developer said he expects the game to launch by the end of the year.  He said this in Discord last week and it’s also on their website.

Ten years ago (or whenever) the first game was developed players expected them to "launch" before paying much for them.

Heinrich should know by now he can do early access, pay for beta, or maybe even sell a few space ships to start bringing in the cash with nary a promised release date in sight.

Clearly he is still doing everything wrong, including the monetization model.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    For those who are curious or are saying “It’s only Alpha”.  Heinrich the head developer said he expects the game to launch by the end of the year.  He said this in Discord last week and it’s also on their website.

Oh I'm sure it's only alpha. But I'm betting it probably releases "in beta."

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Kyleran said:

Ten years ago (or whenever) the first game was developed players expected them to "launch" before paying much for them.

Heinrich should know by now he can do early access, pay for beta, or maybe even sell a few space ships to start bringing in the cash with nary a promised release date in sight.

Clearly he is still doing everything wrong, including the monetization model.
     No. I will have to say that while I believe he is utterly inept and equally arrogant, he to the best of my knowledge he’s not a scammer.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited November 2020
    This game should not release anywhere near current state, there is almost nothing to do.  The map is empty (besides a few deer near the cities).

The combat is much to be desired (being nice).

Ultima Online orginal was my first MMORPG... I was baptistized in sandbox FFA pvp... but darn, you need some content like UO had.

Sovrath
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited November 2020
    It also doesn't surprise me that a screen can handle a bunch of players... there are very basic rpg calculations going on and almost zero particle effects (no casters, no real AOE hits, basic character stats, no explosions, nothing that would stress the systems).
  • immolatuzimmolatuz Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Tried it, uninstalled it. Just not my style. But might be for someone else.
  • PsyckedPsycked Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited November 2020
    You can tell by the comments there's a lot of salty dudes that were disappointed in the first game. Sure, why not? On paper and up till launch it looked/sounded very promising.... Until it launched. For us hardcore folks there was this or Darkfall so I know there was a lot of disappointment going around at this time =)

Well at least the developer had the balls to admit they bit off more than they could chew. With that harsh reality check you HOPE they gained valuable experience over the years to put into their new product.

Like many I was a bit disappointed in MO on how unfinished and rough it was. Am I skeptical of MO2? Probably not. Why? Simple, I'm not the one making it or am I sitting here drooling over it's final release.

Optimistically we hope these guys take all of what they learned over the 10+ years of MO and put that experience to good use, and pull off what they originally set out to all those years ago. Only time will tell. No use wasting time how good or bad it is now when it's not even out.

One last thing I'll add. Over the years so many developers have made "cash grab" games or put out marketing schemes to pull in quick revenue, we all know this. Are people going to sit here and say the same for this developer? Oh I'm sure; some comments already say it. I will throw my opinion in the mix here that I find it a little silly to think these guys are just here for a quick cash grab. Why? Well it is VERY obvious hardcore games are only for a very small group of players. Seems real silly to put all this effort into trying to generate quick revenue from what is already a small community of players.

I am the Cannon Fodder God

edited November 2020
    Psycked said:
    You can tell by the comments there's a lot of salty dudes that were disappointed in the first game. Sure, why not? On paper and up till launch it looked/sounded very promising.... Until it launched. For us hardcore folks there was this or Darkfall so I know there was a lot of disappointment going around at this time =)

Well at least the developer had the balls to admit they bit off more than they could chew. With that harsh reality check you HOPE they gained valuable experience over the years to put into their new product.

Like many I was a bit disappointed in MO on how unfinished and rough it was. Am I skeptical of MO2? Probably not. Why? Simple, I'm not the one making it or am I sitting here drooling over it's final release.

Optimistically we hope these guys take all of what they learned over the 10+ years of MO and put that experience to good use, and pull off what they originally set out to all those years ago. Only time will tell. No use wasting time how good or bad it is now when it's not even out.

One last thing I'll add. Over the years so many developers have made "cash grab" games or put out marketing schemes to pull in quick revenue, we all know this. Are people going to sit here and say the same for this developer? Oh I'm sure; some comments already say it. I will throw my opinion in the mix here that I find it a little silly to think these guys are just here for a quick cash grab. Why? Well it is VERY obvious hardcore games are only for a very small group of players. Seems real silly to put all this effort into trying to generate quick revenue from what is already a small community of players.
    I largely agree with you.  It’s not a traditional cash grab.  It is however a publicly traded company and Heinrich is probably still the holder of the most shares.  Events like this “World Record” IMHO are squarely aimed at getting investors to bump up the stock price. 

I’m pretty sure their public financial statements show a loss quarter after quarter that he just funds by diluting stock and selling more.  Could be wrong but anyone can go and look as it’s a public company 

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    edited November 2020

40,000 keys... I think the goal is 5,000 concurrent 1 server.  Is my math off here?  

Either they have more servers, or queues are going to be a bitch.

I'm going to try.

Only 5K to aim for?

Lineage II in their prime (subscription) days hit that every other weekend during the castle sieges easily. If I am correct at one time NCWest upped the cap to 7.5K with the launch of the EU servers.

Having that said - WHO in their right mind would even want to play Mortal online 2 after what the dev have pulled off for the last decade? Players have been screwed over in every way possible.

...on the other hand...
    They MIGHT hit the record if NONE has been recorded so far, making that one lonely player on the beta server the record holder?
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I doubt they will beat Eve Online. I actually doubt they will beat anything except in their minds. Their game is just another gank fest like the first one.

EVE online's 55K+ record is not one server but a cluster of servers. Still, those were some pretty impressive numbers they had
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Vrika said:
    Sovrath said:
    jitter77 said:
    I logged in for about 2mins, had flashing textures and horrible frame rates. I set everything to min made 0 difference. I then checked recommend settings which set alot of stuff to high and i got around 30fps. I walked down a road and was like meh and shut it down. Just didn't seem very exciting to me
    Yeah, there's no content outside the cities... they should have called it a alpha combat.

When you log in it says "alpha combat" at the bottom.

This should't have been called beta test. Not sure where the confusion was.
    This is beta test. If it still says Alpha somewhere that's outdated info, because they have officially transitioned into beta.

This can't be a beta.

Beta means "feature complete." This can't be feature complete.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PsyckedPsycked Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited November 2020
    I largely agree with you.  It’s not a traditional cash grab.  It is however a publicly traded company and Heinrich is probably still the holder of the most shares.  Events like this “World Record” IMHO are squarely aimed at getting investors to bump up the stock price. 

I’m pretty sure their public financial statements show a loss quarter after quarter that he just funds by diluting stock and selling more.  Could be wrong but anyone can go and look as it’s a public company 

Agree'd Slapshot1188 putting aside the mentality of "cash grab" This is a business and like any business they need revenue to operate. I was on the twitch event Friday and Henrik was the host and he did make mention of being CEO. So I understand he needs to find ways to still bring in revenue to fund the game. 

This got me wondering if this game is being privately funded or through a publisher. We all know how both ways can go. Privately funded can run out of money and far far far under deliver. While a publisher can push their own agenda on the game and end up ruining it. All will be reveled in time =) 

Like you mentioned a quick search and right from their company page does actually show Henrik is not the majority owner. Interesting:

Largest owners

FRÅN HOLDINGS**

NamnKapital %Röster %Datum
    William N. Nock7,926,822018-12-31
    Avanza Pension7,146,782020-03-31
    Nordnet Pensionsförsäkring6,606,272020-03-31
    Henrik Wydeen Nyström4,058,902019-05-10
    Joakim Heving2,872,732020-03-31
    Safet Memisahovic1,671,582020-03-31
    Jan Griffin1,621,542020-03-31
    Aktiebolaget Lutea1,381,312020-03-31
    Thomas Svanefalk1,211,152020-03-31
    Megetgod Invest Aps1,131,072020-03-31

I am the Cannon Fodder God

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Psycked said:

They call Mortal Online 2 at its current state a beta, and their FAQ states they're planning to launch by the end of this year.

So even if we ignore problems with Mortal Online 1, at this point we should be realistic and call them out for releasing unfinished trash.

Psycked said:

Agree'd Slapshot1188 putting aside the mentality of "cash grab" This is a business and like any business they need revenue to operate. I was on the twitch event Friday and Henrik was the host and he did make mention of being CEO. So I understand he needs to find ways to still bring in revenue to fund the game. 

This got me wondering if this game is being privately funded or through a publisher. We all know how both ways can go. Privately funded can run out of money and far far far under deliver. While a publisher can push their own agenda on the game and end up ruining it. All will be reveled in time =) 

Like you mentioned a quick search and right from their company page does actually show Henrik is not the majority owner. Interesting:

Largest owners

FRÅN HOLDINGS**

There used to be class A and class  B stock if I recall correctly.  And At the time (years ago) Heinrich had most of the voting power.   But maybe he diluted himself down by now.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Psycked said:

Largest owners

FRÅN HOLDINGS**

There used to be class A and class  B stock if I recall correctly.  And At the time (years ago) Heinrich had most of the voting power.   But maybe he diluted himself down by now.
    Based on latest yearly report there still are A and B shares. Each A share gives 10 times as many votes as B share, and Henrik is the only one who owns them.

But that still gives him only 8,90% of votes. Psycked's chart is correct.

Source: https://news.cision.com/se/star-vault/r/arsredovisning-star-vault-ab--publ---org-nr-556709-1169--rakenskapsaret-2019,c3125281

• oldspice24oldspice24 Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    For those who are curious or are saying “It’s only Alpha”.  Heinrich the head developer said he expects the game to launch by the end of the year.  He said this in Discord and it’s also on their website.

Aktchually, the game is in Open Beta phase.  That's why all those keys got sent out. Still, Heinrich and his team worked hard on this game for the past 6-7 months and I'm proud to be one of the few paying 45 dollars for it, and 15/month after.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Mars_OMG said:
    did everyone's code get revoked or just me ?

Yes. It was a weekend only thing.