Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My First Impression of Mortal Online 2 Beta Stress

TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
edited November 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
When you zone in, 100% vulnerable to attack.  But for the beta, you respawn with armor and weapon if you choose.  So no biggie.

There is no content, you can go outside the city you choose to start in (there is a selection of a few)... but there are really no mobs.  I did leave just to check out the map and art... not bad, some nice scenic views.  The main point is to stay in city and pvp in this beta it appears (which is why I can give this first impression so fast).

The combat... I need to research this more, because the mechanics are very very basic... and yes hit box matters.  But if there are no skill trees to advance and make combos, it's 4 different swings and a block.

Stress test... it's black Friday... but as of right now... which is prime US gaming time...the cities I've been in had pretty low pops (and I went to the highest ones per in game chat).  I encountered a max of 25 on screen.  The average of about 7-10.

Game crashed 4 times, but no lag.

Will play more and report back.

Edit:  Max video settings and distances on 2560x1440 resolution.
Post edited by TwistedSister77 on
cameltosisSovrathYashaXKyleranAsm0deus[Deleted User][Deleted User]

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Was 24gb download, if was no mobs or content why so big?
    [Deleted User]
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Asheram said:
    60gbs for me actually.  Not sure
    [Deleted User]
  • Kuroi_TaigaKuroi_Taiga Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited November 2020
    atm there are just springboks (fawns) which are the first iteration of AI, they added them one week ago

for now you can pvp with melee and ranged (archery), craft armor and weapon, gather and extract materials, refine metal, kill springboks and skin their carcass, gather some pickables around (they just added a bunch)

here you can ready about combat

Seb (the lead programmer) 5-6 hours ago said that they went over 1k players logged in together, people took at least 3k keys from mmorpg.com giveaway (i don't know how many they were in total, when i noticed the giveaway it said 3,800 left and now they are 1k) and it seems like they had to send ~15k keys in total

Asheram said:
    the first continent is huge and it's not even finished
    TwistedSister77[Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I imagine there won't be quests (?) if it is mostly a pvp game.

Unless they are amping up "questing" in this version.

jitter77
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Kuroi_TaigaKuroi_Taiga Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Sovrath said:
    I imagine there won't be quests (?) if it is mostly a pvp game.

Unless they are amping up "questing" in this version.

i doubt it about quests, even tho they said they are gonna give pve a lot more love
    TwistedSister77
    atm there are just springboks (fawns) which are the first iteration of AI, they added them one week ago

for now you can pvp with melee and ranged (archery), craft armor and weapon, gather and extract materials, refine metal, kill springboks and skin their carcass, gather some pickables around (they just added a bunch)

here you can ready about combat

Seb (the lead programmer) 5-6 hours ago said that they went over 1k players logged in together, people took at least 3k keys from mmorpg.com giveaway (i don't know how many they were in total, when i noticed the giveaway it said 3,800 left and now they are 1k) and it seems like they had to send ~15k keys in total

Asheram said:
    the first continent is huge and it's not even finished
    Very helpful.
    Kuroi_Taiga
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Thanks for checking it out. Mortal 2 is probably the only MMO I am slightly keeping tabs on. However, I'll just wait till the game is ready then jump in. They can have other people be their guinea pigs. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Just logged in, clearly, it's an alpha, doesn't look bad. Love the dark night. LOVE IT!

I think that's going to be a sticking point for some people.

Wish there was a slight tutorial or something that gave some info.

For example, I was killed by two guys. Great. no big deal. I then started waiting, apparently I'm in some "nether world" which is fine. But nothing happens.

I look for something to respawn me. Nope. I then figure out I can actually move from my spot. great!

I walk around until I find the town and see a red beam. It's a priest! Ahhhhh I got it now. I walk up to the priest but can't interact.

I do some searching and apparently, the priest will help you but you need to have a good standing with him?

So does that mean my character is "null and void for the alpha?" is there something else I need to do?
    [Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

edited November 2020
    Sovrath said:
    Just logged in, clearly, it's an alpha, doesn't look bad. Love the dark night. LOVE IT!

For example, I was killed by two guys. Great. no big deal. I then started waiting, apparently I'm in some "nether world" which is fine. But nothing happens.

I look for something to respawn me. Nope. I then figure out I can actually move from my spot. great!

I walk around until I find the town and see a red beam. It's a priest! Ahhhhh I got it now. I walk up to the priest but can't interact.

I do some searching and apparently, the priest will help you but you need to have a good standing with him?

So does that mean my character is "null and void for the alpha?" is there something else I need to do?
    No, go next to (touching) priest (aim) and hold down 3.  Or whatever it prompts you.  Should res you.  Use /help in chat if that doesn't work.  Finally, just reroll and report as a bug.

My tip, loot dead people bags ... I found over 1k bandages.  Go to the bank, split stack the bandages and only carry what you need.  So when you die, you have a supply at the bank. (Same for bows and arrows).

I agree, there is like no info on how to play.
    SovrathSlapshot1188Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:

No, go next to (touching) priest (aim) and hold down 3.  Or whatever it prompts you.  Should res you.  Use /help in chat if that doesn't work.  Finally, just reroll and report as a bug.

My tip, loot dead people bags ... I found over 1k bandages.  Go to the bank, split stack the bandages and only carry what you need.  So when you die, you have a supply at the bank. (Same for bows and arrows).

I agree, there is like no info on how to play.

awesome thanks!

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Is this the website for the game? https://www.mortalonline2.com/

The site is kind of messed up at the moment, the top padding is set to 1225px for some reason so when you navigate to the site you just see a blank screen. If you scroll down a bit the "Mortal Online" title is barely visible (its white on a very light grey) and the css for the nav-bar section seems to be broken.

If you scroll down toward the bottom to the pagination section and click "Next", it takes you to https://www.mortalonline2.com/page/2/ which shows the site properly (it looks really nice!).

Hey, another tip for everyone.  Do a quick roll of a character.  It let's you select a city.  Once in game, go in /help chat and ask which city has the most players.

Reroll and start there.  You don't want to get stuck in an unpopulated place.  Trust me.

Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited November 2020
    Per Heinrich in Discord the game is planned to launch before end of year.

Should be great.
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Per Heinrich in Discord a week ago the game is planned to launch before end of year.

Should be great.

um, "not this year." right? RIGHT?!?!!? :s

edited November 2020
    Sovrath said:
    Per Heinrich in Discord a week ago the game is planned to launch before end of year.

Should be great.

um, "not this year." right? RIGHT?!?!!? :s
    There is no way... they only are testing ai for deer right now.
    Another gankfest... great :(
    I wasn't ganked in beta, people were mostly respectful when you had your weapon holstered. 

There isn't stealth in the game either (not sure if it's planned).  So it's not that easy to ganked.
    Kyleran
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Looked like a exact copy of MO1(which i was foolish to preorder) and all the issues and bad coding along with it.
    [Deleted User]

MurderHerd

• oldspice24oldspice24 Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    Looked like a exact copy of MO1(which i was foolish to preorder) and all the issues and bad coding along with it.
    Hey give them a break, they've only been working on this game for 7 months, they still got a month to go to iron things out before its fully released
    Slapshot1188Kyleran[Deleted User]IsilithTehrothDakeru
    edited December 2020
    Ok, my final impressions from the beta.

Character Creation
     Very very limited options for customizing your character.  Also, no information on Species and Race RPG stats/abilities pros and cons (if any... none on the website either).  If there are no special perks, probably be best to use the combination of species and race that make smallest character possible per combat mechanics (if you're looking for an edge).

Content
    Unless major major content is added to the game, and perhaps another free beta to preview this content... $45 is no go.  The map is completely empty besides a few test deer they put near cities.

Players
    A few asshats, but actually not bad.  Most people were respectful if your weapon was sheathed or you were at the crafting stand.  Chat was pretty decent and helpful too, just a few bad eggs.

Combat
    4 attacks (top,left,right,center) which you hold down for more power and can be influenced by your block/parry.  Then you have blocks (block it right as the attack is coming or hold it down in advance... difference between a parry and a block).  The block/parry needs to match up with the incoming attack (up, center, left, right).  Hitbox damage counts.  Then there is ranged bow and arrow(aim and fire, holding down for more damage).

The issue with the melee combat, is that it can be learned and mastered pretty quickly.  There are no combos, no progression system.  What your doing at the very start is what you'll be doing for 100s of hours.

The combat turns into a dance of rushing in and out of really really small combat range with weapons... especially when fighting in groups. The combat feel and animations are a little clunky.  It's just not really that engaging or fun(IMO).  I think combat needs some serious work, probably too late for it.

FYI - What is cool, is if you are injured, you leave a trail of blood... so you can be tracked, I thought that was a nice touch.

Crafting
    I didn't spend to much time on crafting, so I'll let others chime in on this.

Lag/Crashes
    I have a really good system, so I didn't experience lag (although per their news update, they noted players did experience lag), but I did have multiple random crashes (max settings).

Graphics
    Go to youtube, decide for yourself.  I'm not a graphics snob if the gameplay and mechanics are great.  I did travel into the wilderness and saw some beautiful views.  But without mobs, it's hard to say.  I found graphics acceptable, but very mediocre for 2020 (max settings).

Overall:
    I'm a fan of Ultima Online pvp sandbox, like action mmorpgs.  Played a bunch of FFA PvP Mmorpgs.  Current state, cannot recommend this game.  I will gladly try another beta if improvements are made. ;)

Edit: A player made poll on their official forums currently has 62% voting to delay the game till more is added.

Post edited by TwistedSister77 on
    mklinicKyleranSovrathAmaranthar[Deleted User]
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    The most important question, does the characters penis show in this alpha or not?
    KyleranTwistedSister77
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Maurgrim said:
    The most important question, does the characters penis show in this alpha or not?
    I was there for the original “sausage lake” in MO1

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Ok, my final impressions from the beta.

Character Creation
     Very very limited options for customizing your character.  Also, no information on Species and Race RPG stats/abilities pros and cons (if any... none on the website either).  If there are no special perks, probably be best to use the combination of species and race that make smallest character possible per combat mechanics (if you're looking for an edge).

Content
    Unless major major content is added to the game, and perhaps another free beta to preview this content... $45 is no go.  The map is completely empty besides a few test deer they put near cities.

Players
    A few asshats, but actually not bad.  Most people were respectful if your weapon was sheathed or you were at the crafting stand.  Chat was pretty decent and helpful too, just a few bad eggs.

Combat
    4 attacks (top,left,right,center) which you hold down for more power and can be influenced by your block/parry.  Then you have blocks (block it right as the attack is coming or hold it down in advance... difference between a parry and a block).  The block/parry needs to match up with the incoming attack (up, center, left, right).  Hitbox damage counts.  Then there is ranged bow and arrow(aim and fire, holding down for more damage).

The issue with the melee combat, is that it can be learned and mastered pretty quickly.  There are no combos, no progression system.  What your doing at the very start is what you'll be doing for 100s of hours.

The combat turns into a dance of rushing in and out of really really small combat range with weapons... especially when fighting in groups. The combat feel and animations are a little clunky.  It's just not really that engaging or fun(IMO).  I think combat needs some serious work, probably too late for it.

FYI - What is cool, is if you are injured, you leave a trail of blood... so you can be tracked, I thought that was a nice touch.

Crafting
    I didn't spend to much time on crafting, so I'll let others chime in on this.

Lag/Crashes
    I have a really good system, so I didn't experience lag (although per their news update, they noted players did experience lag), but I did have multiple random crashes (max settings).

Graphics
    Go to youtube, decide for yourself.  I'm not a graphics snob if the gameplay and mechanics are great.  I did travel into the wilderness and saw some beautiful views.  But without mobs, it's hard to say.  I found graphics acceptable, but very mediocre for 2020 (max settings).

Overall:
    I'm a fan of Ultima Online pvp sandbox, like action mmorpgs.  Played a bunch of FFA PvP Mmorpgs.  Current state, cannot recommend this game.  I will gladly try another beta if improvements are made. ;)

Edit: A player made poll on their official forums currently has 62% voting to delay the game till more is added.

yeah, I saw that poll. They really need to "finish" the game before they release.

I guess they'll go early access and hopefully finish it.

The world is beautiful as well as the music but there's nothing to it yet.
    TwistedSister77

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Strangely enough I was somewhat impressed. However, it is not a game yet and releasing it this year seems like a really bad idea. It is a proper Alpha through and through with many systems and general stuff missing. It isn’t horrible though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    TwistedSister77Amaranthar
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Maurgrim said:

So was I hence the question :smiley:

Maurgrim said:
    Maurgrim said:

So was I hence the question :smiley:

Most people had armor on because you could respawn with armor during the beta.  During character creation yes, penis (no sliders).

There is also a nudity filter in game options(not sure if it works).