Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Reroll: Dark Age Of Camelot | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMO Reroll: Dark Age Of Camelot | MMORPG.com

Join Mitch as he checks out Dark Age of Camelot in 2020, in this edition of MMO Reroll.

Read the full story here

Comments

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    I'll read the article later just want to say, Iove that term...

"MMO Reroll"
    lotrloreSplattrAgent_JosephAmathe[Deleted User]
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    This game is still alive?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    If you really want to try DAoC I suggest you try the freeshards out there. I think the big ones are Uther and Phoenix.

Strongly suggest you give Return of Reckoning a shot.

And definitely, absolutely... join a guild in any of these old school games. They simply were not meant to be soloed.
    Splattr[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited November 2020
    "We all know what happens after EA gets its claws in a smaller company; after multiple restructurings and merging with other studios, Mythic Entertainment was completely disbanded in 2014." - So true, they seem more interested in using acquisition to get rid of the competition rather than buying great IP's and teams to make games with.

"many aspects of gaming that have been updated by quality of life improvements - aka watering down of the genre if you ask the hardcore veterans out there - that modern MMORPGs have." - Same could be said of any franchise, if the game has been around a while say hello to easy mode.

"Yes, DAoC is of the era where races and classes were restricted, so having an idea of what type of character you want to play is an important step in character creation." - This goes against a cardinal rule of todays easy mode gaming, you should not need a guide, you should not have to read anything before you play, you should not need to think before you jump in. Shallow gameplay is the natural outcome of this.

DAOC is obviously going to look bad, play clumsily and soon, it is an old MMO. But when so few MMOs go forward with the likes of three faction realm versus realm you start to undersatnd what we have lost. For me ESO is the closest modern MMO in feel to DAOC, because of the realm V realm. Besides Camelot Unchained is not out yet, so no point in trying that until it launches.
    koldmiserYashaXUngoodjoshisanonymous
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    First of all DAoC is NOT a PVP focused game. I spent years playing it and rarely PVP, but will say it still has the best system. Their Realm vs Realm idea was fantastic and gave purpose to PVP.

This was my first MMO experience and I played it for years. Shadow Knights on Morgan Le Fey!
    ScotKyleran
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543

koldmiser said:

First of all DAoC is NOT a PVP focused game. I spent years playing it and rarely PVP, but will say it still has the best system. Their Realm vs Realm idea was fantastic and gave purpose to PVP.

This was my first MMO experience and I played it for years. Shadow Knights on Morgan Le Fey!

Three realms that can't play together cooperatively unless it's on the single pve server. Battlegrounds. RvR scoreboard on their website. Part of the tutorial pushes you into Battlegrounds. Realm vs realm bonuses.

That sounds pretty pvp focused to me. Sure there is pve content, just like pve focused games have pvp content in them.
  • LeucotomyLeucotomy Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    Honestly, I find this article kind of pathetic. Let us compare a game that's about 20 years old with games out today. So easy to talk trash, so little effort actually put in trying to know the game. No where in this article do you go into the nuances of the RvR system, probably because you gave up before you even got there. Or when you did you just got rolled because of your lack of experience. Did you even build out a full template for a character? Let us be honest, you leveled up a CLERIC. Like, is that what you are basing your experience off of? lmfao you got to be joking me. The most boring class in the game. All that aside though, this game came out ages ago and helped pave the way for many games like WoW and the rest. Have some respect for what Mythic accomplished back in 2001. You can rank it however you want, I'm not going to argue that; the game is old and void of a player base. This article is based on your opinion, and that's fine. Let's be frank though, and acknowledge the fact you put very little effort into actually knowing the game and wrote a lazy article about it. If you have friends to play with, this game still holds a lot of fun in RvR; which is quite still active, both in Phoenix, and the live servers.
    Odi101wilcoxonbrett7018Kyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I look at old MMOs that I loved in their day - I was there at release and for 3 years after that - the same way I remember my first car which was a 57 Chevy Belair I got for $100 :)

It was an awesome car and collectors these days pay a mint for a well preserved one but give me my modern car with a GPS. heated seats and smartphone plug in any day of the week.

The hype for WoW Classic got to me last year so I decided to give it a go to see if I would still enjoy it as much as I did when it launched... I didn't. I found it annoying.

YashaXKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543

Leucotomy said:

Honestly, I find this article kind of pathetic. Let us compare a game that's about 20 years old with games out today. So easy to talk trash, so little effort actually put in trying to know the game. No where in this article do you go into the nuances of the RvR system, probably because you gave up before you even got there. Or when you did you just got rolled because of your lack of experience. Did you even build out a full template for a character? Let us be honest, you leveled up a CLERIC. Like, is that what you are basing your experience off of? lmfao you got to be joking me. The most boring class in the game. All that aside though, this game came out ages ago and helped pave the way for many games like WoW and the rest. Have some respect for what Mythic accomplished back in 2001. You can rank it however you want, I'm not going to argue that; the game is old and void of a player base. This article is based on your opinion, and that's fine. Let's be frank though, and acknowledge the fact you put very little effort into actually knowing the game and wrote a lazy article about it. If you have friends to play with, this game still holds a lot of fun in RvR; which is quite still active, both in Phoenix, and the live servers.

I think you may be missing what this column is all about. It isn't a full review of the game. It is about the experiences I have as a new/returning player to older games in the MMORPG genre. It isn't about respect for what the game was 20 years ago but what it offers someone today. I have no doubt there are players that still love what DAoC has to offer or else it would have been shut down ages ago.

You are correct that I never made it to RvR and I can assure you that I would have been rolled if I had made it that far as I get rolled in PvP all the time in games I actually like. I chose Cleric because that was available as a dwarf. I played a Berserker for a little bit as well to see what a fighter type would be like and I didn't like it either. And yes, I based my experience off of the classes I chose to play. If I was required to pick certain classes to have fun then I would have even more complaints about the game.
    YashaXIselin
    edited November 2020
    Splattr said:

koldmiser said:

Three realms that can't play together cooperatively unless it's on the single pve server. Battlegrounds. RvR scoreboard on their website. Part of the tutorial pushes you into Battlegrounds. Realm vs realm bonuses.

That sounds pretty pvp focused to me. Sure there is pve content, just like pve focused games have pvp content in them.
    It was a RvR MMO where you didn't need to do the PvP; that's the beauty of RvR, it is the best fit for PvP and PvE players playing together.

Leucotomy said:
    Welcome to the forums! :)

I can see the reviewers problem here, you can't see how good the game is, how it satisfies PvP and PvE gamers until you get to top level. You then see how DAOC was one of the best games for handling "end game". That said his experience would be that of a returning player who had not played DAOC before, which for most players out there would be their experience. The only thing I would suggest is that we get a review from a player who has played DAOC before to balance this some time in the future. Then it would be truly a reroll, this was a first roll, but as I say I still think this is a fair review for first time players as the creakiness of an old MMO would be at the forefront of their experience.
  • XMajixXMajix Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    So this a very niche game. I've played DAOC since 2002, and fully understand the "new player" vibe when it comes to this game. You really cannot review this game based on your one (worst soloing class btw) healer that you went with. That class is ment to play with others. I don't know what level you actually made it to, because I skipped alot of your text after the cons were being listed, but the PvE leveling aspect is only 10% of the game. You need to reach level 50, and participate in RvR. That is the game right there. Your "boring combat" becomes a whole new world when you are facing players who are going to do everything they can to win. Yes PvE requires very little skill, but RvR, the more talented you are with reactions and awareness, the more you will enjoy this.

After 18 years, I will occasionally get the "need shakes" when you are going along and winning. All I ask is if you really wish to properly review this game, get to 50 and get geared and actually try it. The game is a different game at 50.

"

Splattr said:

Leucotomy said:

I think you may be missing what this column is all about. It isn't a full review of the game. It is about the experiences I have as a new/returning player to older games in the MMORPG genre. It isn't about respect for what the game was 20 years ago but what it offers someone today. I have no doubt there are players that still love what DAoC has to offer or else it would have been shut down ages ago.

You are correct that I never made it to RvR and I can assure you that I would have been rolled if I had made it that far as I get rolled in PvP all the time in games I actually like. I chose Cleric because that was available as a dwarf. I played a Berserker for a little bit as well to see what a fighter type would be like and I didn't like it either. And yes, I based my experience off of the classes I chose to play. If I was required to pick certain classes to have fun then I would have even more complaints about the game.

Okay I'm sorry, you spent a "month" playing this game and never made it to RvR? You can literally level a character up to 50 in like 8 hours now. How do you spend a month playing this game and not get to 50? You never even made it to RvR? It's a PvP focused game, through and through. Even the 35+ BG's are quite active. So this proves point in that you really put no effort into this review. That's what I have an issue with.

Also, yes I see your point that if you can't make any class you want and still have a good time, that it would be a mark against the game. All I have to say to that is that you rolled a healer/support class and never even made it to the pvp portion of the game. Or in other words, you made a class that is best experienced in a group of people, and then never played with anyone.... The title for this article should not be focused on new and returning players, but maybe for players who want to know what the first 3 - 4 hours are like.

Sorry for calling out laziness when I see it. Good luck on your next article.

[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2020
    LOL someone mentioned two things that tells me it is an utter CRAP game.

1 End game
    2 I need to get to end game to see a GAME?

I guess that would explain why when I tried it a long time ago and I quit in the first hour.I don't WAIT for games to get good and idc one bit about end game,not one iota at all.

rvr a good fit,well see you forget pve already,why would rvr be good at all if idc about pvp at all?Why would you even try to mix the two has always baffled me because they are complete opposite type of games/gameplay.
    I want EVERY single level to feel important and i want levels to last awhile so they actually do have at least SOME meaning and satisfaction.

If i had my way nobody would ever be allowed to get more than one level a week.The dev SHOULD be creating content and a world people want to interact and engage with,we shouldn't be focused on level numbers that mean absolutely nothing.
    Level numbers are just lockout mechanics and we don't need levels to accomplish the same idea just like we don't NEED RVR for players to interact with each other.
    Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MartokzMartokz Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    You say you played the game for a month! If you did that you would have got 50 and got to try RvR which makes this game great.

You can go from 1 to 50 (the max level) in about 8 hours of solo play as a cleric (Albion) or healer (Midgard).

This game was out in 2001 so yes it has some dated parts but I think some of this is what the mmo space has lost and should reintroduce. Like the classes being locked to races and having to spec your attributes. It makes you think about what your doing.

You can respec those attributes now at any point by going into the character select screen, when the game.csme out those chosen stats were final.

I think you shouldn't publish a review unless you've actually given the game a try. I read this and was very disappointed spotting many inaccuracies and incorrect statements. You can install a custom UI (the first game in the mmo space to allow this), increase its size and layout. Check out something called Bobs UI for DAoC.

I hope your next review for your rerole will be you actually trying the game else I think you should just give up and stick to modem games.
    wilcoxon[Deleted User]
  • SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    If they remade this MMO I'd be all over it, but the game is dated, even coming from me, an avid fan, who has had its fan art as my avatar since July 2005 on this site. I'm always hoping that something tickles the itch with the law and game mechanics but I'm not going back to this game anymore.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

Wizardry said:

LOL someone mentioned two things that tells me it is an utter CRAP game.

1 End game
    2 I need to get to end game to see a GAME?

I guess that would explain why when I tried it a long time ago and I quit in the first hour.I don't WAIT for games to get good and idc one bit about end game,not one iota at all.

rvr a good fit,well see you forget pve already,why would rvr be good at all if idc about pvp at all?Why would you even try to mix the two has always baffled me because they are complete opposite type of games/gameplay.
    I want EVERY single level to feel important and i want levels to last awhile so they actually do have at least SOME meaning and satisfaction.

If i had my way nobody would ever be allowed to get more than one level a week.The dev SHOULD be creating content and a world people want to interact and engage with,we shouldn't be focused on level numbers that mean absolutely nothing.
    Level numbers are just lockout mechanics and we don't need levels to accomplish the same idea just like we don't NEED RVR for players to interact with each other.

All I read is that, "I quit in the first hour" - Sorry, is your opinion suppose to mean something then?
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    XMajix said:
    So this a very niche game. I've played DAOC since 2002, and fully understand the "new player" vibe when it comes to this game. You really cannot review this game based on your one (worst soloing class btw) healer that you went with. That class is ment to play with others. I don't know what level you actually made it to, because I skipped alot of your text after the cons were being listed, but the PvE leveling aspect is only 10% of the game. You need to reach level 50, and participate in RvR. That is the game right there. Your "boring combat" becomes a whole new world when you are facing players who are going to do everything they can to win. Yes PvE requires very little skill, but RvR, the more talented you are with reactions and awareness, the more you will enjoy this.

After 18 years, I will occasionally get the "need shakes" when you are going along and winning. All I ask is if you really wish to properly review this game, get to 50 and get geared and actually try it. The game is a different game at 50.

"You have to be max level to enjoy it":  surely this is one of the main problems with many mmos, especially the older ones. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    "One of the commenters had mentioned Dark Age of Camelot and since I had never played it before I figured why not? Let's do it!"

How can you have "rose colored glasses for a game that you've never played? Isn't that term for something that you've experienced and when you think of that experience you have the greatest impressions but when you go back "they come off" and you realize that the things you liked weren't that great to begin with?

Which is also why people use it incorrectly because they think liking a specific thing can never stand the test of time.

You're so used to "modern games" that you probably haven't experienced what the old games actually offered.

They might not offer the choice of "every class" (and why should any game no matter when it was made?) or complete character creation down to the eyelashes, but they offered more of a game world where the players actually played together, made decisions together, ran across the map to help each other because that's what you did for the people you played with.

If you really want to play an "old game" then you have to play it on the terms it was made.

You need to join a guild and work with the people there and see what the game was aiming at actually being.

wilcoxonScot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • wilcoxonwilcoxon Member UncommonPosts: 98

koldmiser said:

I disagree. DAoC was absolutely PvP-focused.

I really loved the PvE and crafting. I was the #2 weaponsmith on my server for a long time. I quit when it became impossible to obtain crafting materials because they were only available deep in the RvR area.
    Iselin

Active: D&D Online (alpha,beta,&unlimited)

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

• brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

Leucotomy said:

My thoughts exactly. You were so close to making a right choice with the Friar (my favorite class of all time with DAOC!). It is light years ahead of the cleric in terms of fun. And yes, as you grow in levels, there is more to do, both PvE, PvP and with all the newer weapon styles/buffs you get.

The RvR is the best in this game for sure. Back in the day, there was NONE better.

As far as Camelot Unchained, don't hold your breath. It has been in the "making" for soooo long that I asked for my money back. It was in a very poor state, and that was only a year or so ago.
    YashaXScot

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Iselin said:
    I look at old MMOs that I loved in their day - I was there at release and for 3 years after that - the same way I remember my first car which was a 57 Chevy Belair I got for $100 :)

It was an awesome car and collectors these days pay a mint for a well preserved one but give me my modern car with a GPS. heated seats and smartphone plug in any day of the week.

The hype for WoW Classic got to me last year so I decided to give it a go to see if I would still enjoy it as much as I did when it launched... I didn't. I found it annoying.

'57 Chevy for $100... you are "Legendary".  

You sir, I challenge to a Pong Match! :D
    Iselin[Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited November 2020
    Lol, guy goes into an old game as a newb and gets jumped on because he should have picked “arbitrary class X,” then should have played an “arbitrary X amount” of hours and also should have looked at it through “arbitrary time appropriate” glasses. Give him a break, his opinion is his opinion based on what he did, not on what some wanted him to do.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    [Deleted User]YashaXseraphis79Splattr
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

'57 Chevy for $100... you are "Legendary".  

You sir, I challenge to a Pong Match! :D
    Well it was in 1968 when gas was $0.25 a gallon. And it was automatic and white. If it'd been a stick shift and that nice two-tone blue it would have probably cost $200 :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited November 2020
    lahnmir said:
    Lol, guy goes into an old game as a newb and gets jumped on because he should have picked “arbitrary class X,” then should have played an “arbitrary X amount” of hours and also should have looked at it through “arbitrary time appropriate” glasses. Give him a break, his opinion is his opinion based on what he did, not on what some wanted him to do.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

You can't go into an old game and expect it to be designed around game play and ideas that new games had.

As far as "arbitrary hours/classes" that's "whatever."

The thing is I'm sure certain classes can "solo" better and blah blah blah. As far as hours, as long as one is aligned with what the game is doing then it shouldn't take long to know if you like it.

But one certainly can't expect an old game to play like a new game. It's just not designed that way.

These old games were about guilds and grouping and in this case, banding together against your enemies with your own "side."

an opinion means nothing if it's misplaced. I don't watch a rom-com and express my opinion that it doesn't have enough action.

I don't watch an action movie and lament character development.

If your opinion is that sand isn't wet enough I'm just going to shake my head.
    ScotKyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    XMajix said:

Martokz said:
    You say you played the game for a month! If you did that you would have got 50 and got to try RvR which makes this game great.

You can go from 1 to 50 (the max level) in about 8 hours of solo play as a cleric (Albion) or healer (Midgard).

This game was out in 2001 so yes it has some dated parts but I think some of this is what the mmo space has lost and should reintroduce. Like the classes being locked to races and having to spec your attributes. It makes you think about what your doing.

You can respec those attributes now at any point by going into the character select screen, when the game.csme out those chosen stats were final.

I think you shouldn't publish a review unless you've actually given the game a try. I read this and was very disappointed spotting many inaccuracies and incorrect statements. You can install a custom UI (the first game in the mmo space to allow this), increase its size and layout. Check out something called Bobs UI for DAoC.

I hope your next review for your rerole will be you actually trying the game else I think you should just give up and stick to modem games.
    Welcome to the forums!

Two for the price of one. :)
    [Deleted User]