Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV Is Announcing That A Major Announcement Is Coming In Early 2021 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV Is Announcing That A Major Announcement Is Coming In Early 2021 | MMORPG.com

Today has been a day for Square Enix and its Final Fantasy XIV team. Patch 5.4 was detailed and given a launch date, but it's not the only thing the MMO developers have been working on as the studio teased a major announcement coming in early 2021.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah the amount of FFXIV posts are insane .

The only thing these businesses work on in between is how to make money.So a new expansion would fit the bill but I wouldn't be surprised if the top greedy execs are looking at some new form of f2p or maybe even some mobile version.

OR just maybe out of nowhere they are going to announce a collaboration release of FFXI mobile and FFXIV.
    Lucix

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    I mean, it's going to be an expansion because the next patch concludes everything from this expansion and post expansion content so I think it's pretty obvious what it will be lol.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808

Wizardry said:

The only thing these businesses work on in between is how to make money.So a new expansion would fit the bill but I wouldn't be surprised if the top greedy execs are looking at some new form of f2p or maybe even some mobile version.

OR just maybe out of nowhere they are going to announce a collaboration release of FFXI mobile and FFXIV.

Correct, companies generally do look for ways to make money.

It's going to be an expansion announcement, with the next patch and post-content from the core Shadowbringers expansion that's really the only surprise they can possibly have waiting for us. Probably that, and maybe some news on a crossover event or something.
    I like to complain about games.
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Xbox release finally? Beta test end of 2021, expected release 2022
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Lol @ all this announcing upcoming announcements. Everyone is doing this now just to stay relevant and talked about but I find it silly AF.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Raivyn79
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Announcing the announcement for the roadmap to the roadmap. 

The collective groans and eyerolls...

Slow news day?
    [Deleted User]LucixRaivyn79

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    I will be making an announcement later tonight. You can expect that my announcement will refer to an upcoming announcement.
    [Deleted User]Raivyn79
  • MauroDiogoMauroDiogo Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Maaaaybe a PS5 release announcement (I mean, it's already on the PS4 and has a huge playerbase so making it work on the PS5 wouldn't be too much of an issue) followed by maybe a new expansion?
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485

Wizardry said:

It's almost like FF14 is popular, right?

SE could go F2P with the game and loose zero money on it, since they make a huge chunk of their money from that Brave Exvious (sp) game... and most of their devs are paid through the cash shop items from what I hear.
  • PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    I wanted to like it, while playing through free trial I managed to finish main questline and next expansion. But I couldn't take it anymore. I was sick of it. I guess I don't have patience to sit and read through the walls of text anymore.
    ashiru_1978
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Portz said:

I wanted to like it, while playing through free trial I managed to finish main questline and next expansion. But I couldn't take it anymore. I was sick of it. I guess I don't have patience to sit and read through the walls of text anymore.

I also wanted to get into FF14, but it feels so odd and not like an MMORPG at all. You have loading screens on everything. The city I started in was separated into a few sub-zones each with its own loading screen, it was very annoying to navigate considering it was a multi-level city with a very confusing and user-unfriendly design. The way you talk to quest giver NPCs is also very annoying - instead of getting a window with the whole quest text like in WoW, you get something that feels like a Japanese Visual Novel game where you see the portrait of the character and in a box below them 1 sentence and you have to click Next, Next, Next to have them say another sentence and a quest you'd take in another MMO for 1 second, here you waste 10-20 seconds just fighting with the stupid UI.

Outside of town I tried to fight some monsters - the combat feels janky and clunky and the global cooldown thing makes it even worse.

FF14 and BDO are the two MMOs I cannot understand why are remotely popular when they are so bad.
    [Deleted User]MustikosmomintimAlexander.B
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Nah
    Tl:Dr. The only thi g that will ever get me to anythi g Sony or FF related back is if they announce shitting all The garbage game services down and start remaking games using passion and creativity instead of marketing data. Their best titles that got them k own come from that... It went to poop after new projects and ideas just chased "put a MOG here. Kids buy that by the millions. Sure it breaks more, but stupid fans will find great excuses to defend it, a'd majority of the population don't care, and no one has legal foot. So do it".
    Nah. Shut it down. Restart
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    People have different tastes, so if you don't like the game there's plenty of other things in life to occupy your interests.
    For me, FFXIV is the best mmo I have played. The storyline alone, particularly in Shadowbringers, would put it at the top. Added to this is great community - I am on eu world and fully appreciate it may be different for other locations. Plenty of activities to do in the game, a great mix of solo, group and full raid party content.
    Long may it continue.
    [Deleted User]
  • momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108

foxgirl said:

Wizardry said:

It's almost like FF14 is popular, right?

SE could go F2P with the game and loose zero money on it, since they make a huge chunk of their money from that Brave Exvious (sp) game... and most of their devs are paid through the cash shop items from what I hear.

Givne that FFXI still requires a monthly fee to play I doubt XIV is going to F2P
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338

Portz said:

I also wanted to get into FF14, but it feels so odd and not like an MMORPG at all.

I''ve often said to my friends it feels more like a social media tool than a game sometimes. Literally like a game version of social media. Heaps and heaps of minigames, numerous tools for pictures, social housing, social groups and sub-groups... Then you look at places like Limsa where everyone's just standing around talking. (It just occurred to me this'll seem a lot more prevalent now due to COVID).

More to the point, I agree with you. It feels hollow, like something substantial is missing. I've often thought it's the areas and how they appear massive, but upon closer inspection they're limited by invisible walls and obvious instancing.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing the game. It just doesn't keep me very long, when compared to things like WoW.
    QSatu
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    We would like to announce that at some point in the future, we will announce the date of a future announcement.