Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online 2 Is Aiming To Break A World Record In Next Beta Test | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMortal Online 2 Is Aiming To Break A World Record In Next Beta Test | MMORPG.com

Mortal Online 2 is going for a world record when the upcoming beta test starts up today. The record: the "highest recorded amount of players logged in to a single, uninstanced server."

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited November 2020
    LOL sure.
    April 1st is a long way off.
    psychosiz1Alexander.B

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    I thought? Wait...

Didn't Camelot Unchained brea.. umm NM.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I'm just plain curious if their sequel will actually be any good or a train-wreck as the 1st so notoriously was
    psychosiz1Alexander.B
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 484
    These guys are delusional.
    Slapshot1188doomexpsychosiz1
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I doubt they can get this "record" also I doubt they can get the most bugged game in beta ever, we have bethesda and ubisoft working hard all these years to keep they record on this
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I stopped reading after 'Mortal Online 2 is Aiming to Break.' Excellent article, I think they are well underway.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Slapshot1188Necroma[Deleted User][Deleted User]doomex[Deleted User]psychosiz1Alexander.B
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited November 2020
    40,000 keys... I think the goal is 5,000 concurrent 1 server.  Is my math off here?  

Either they have more servers, or queues are going to be a bitch.

I'm going to try.

Post edited by TwistedSister77 on
  • ClaudelClaudel Member UncommonPosts: 51
    btw, Lineage 2 has had that record for years, and not even WoW has ever reached it, just youtube it, lineage 2 official castle siege, it has all the players from the same server all fighting in the same castle siege, dont remember the numbers, just look it up
    keywords incluse: Castle Siege, Zaken raid, Antharas raid
    40,000 keys... I think the goal is 5,000 concurrent 1 server.  Is my math off here?  

Either they have more servers, or queues are going to be a bitch.

I'm going to try.

Edit:  been on, not a problem.  Actually, not a ton of players.  Been bouncing around the zones you can start in (most people stay put, as there are no mobs to fight outside the zones)... encountered max 25 on screen.
    Kyleran
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Got a key for the test and will be checking it out tonight. For all the fun I make about the series I really like the idea, its just the execution that has failed before. Lets see what they are up to.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    They only run beta from 27 to 29th, it's 60 G download. feel like a waste of bandwidth for 2 days gameplay.
    psychosiz1
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    I'll be honest the first game was the biggest brokenest piece of trash I've ever tried. it was truly a bug ridden horrendous clusterfuck of a game. HOWEVER this game, if you enjoy pvp is shaping up to be something special. Its extremely well made and runs and plays better in beta than most launch games nowadays. I wrote this off completely due to the experience of the first one. My buddy said screw it and tried it. I laughed at him. Turns out he was right, they've done a 180 based on everything I've seen and tried based on the first one. Is it a game for everyone? Absolutely not. Its a game for the original UO people, the Shadowbane people. Its full loot and always on pvp so it is more of a niche game. Loot isn't important however and relatively easy to replace. The graphics and some of the tech they've implemented are astounding for a game that handles battles this size. I played Shadowbane back in the day and loved it. I've mostly checked out of PVP centric games since then but this based on what I've played will bring me back.
    [Deleted User]KyleranKrynt0k
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Raagnarz said:
    I'll be honest the first game was the biggest brokenest piece of trash I've ever tried. it was truly a bug ridden horrendous clusterfuck of a game. HOWEVER this game, if you enjoy pvp is shaping up to be something special. Its extremely well made and runs and plays better in beta than most launch games nowadays. I wrote this off completely due to the experience of the first one. My buddy said screw it and tried it. I laughed at him. Turns out he was right, they've done a 180 based on everything I've seen and tried based on the first one. Is it a game for everyone? Absolutely not. Its a game for the original UO people, the Shadowbane people. Its full loot and always on pvp so it is more of a niche game. Loot isn't important however and relatively easy to replace. The graphics and some of the tech they've implemented are astounding for a game that handles battles this size. I played Shadowbane back in the day and loved it. I've mostly checked out of PVP centric games since then but this based on what I've played will bring me back.
    What makes it well made?  From what I read, there aren’t even any creatures or AI in game.  What size battles?  Do those include siege engines and destruction of assets?

What size battles.  The poster above said that even during this “record breaking” test he only saw 25 people at a time.  Are there videos showing massive battles?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I logged in for about 2mins, had flashing textures and horrible frame rates. I set everything to min made 0 difference. I then checked recommend settings which set alot of stuff to high and i got around 30fps. I walked down a road and was like meh and shut it down. Just didn't seem very exciting to me
    Kyleran
    edited November 2020
    lahnmir said:
    Got a key for the test and will be checking it out tonight. For all the fun I make about the series I really like the idea, its just the execution that has failed before. Lets see what they are up to.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    See my thread on my first impressions.  It's not a beta really.  Just more of basic combat and crafting in the cities... you can explore outside the cities... but there aren't really any mobs( a very few deer) or players.  

Someone posted a useful link on the combat mechanics in my thread.

Just set your expectations low... I'd call this an alpha stress test.
    jitter77 said:
    I logged in for about 2mins, had flashing textures and horrible frame rates. I set everything to min made 0 difference. I then checked recommend settings which set alot of stuff to high and i got around 30fps. I walked down a road and was like meh and shut it down. Just didn't seem very exciting to me
    Yeah, there's no content outside the cities... they should have called it a alpha combat.
  • marosmaros Member UncommonPosts: 30
    With 2 minutes of content they would have to give away 1 million keys to get around 600 people playing at the same time.
    Reizla
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    jitter77 said:
    Yeah, there's no content outside the cities... they should have called it a alpha combat.

When you log in it says "alpha combat" at the bottom.

This should't have been called beta test. Not sure where the confusion was.
    TwistedSister77
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    logged in for 15 minutes or so. It has a cool art direction, graphics look nice. Runs well on my 580. Nothing to do other than log in and be there. Jump around, loot some stuff, fight people in town, get shot in the head by peeps on the roof.
    TwistedSister77
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    remsleep said:
    I guess they needed a marketing gimmick to attract some attention. 

Because normally beta tests are about making the game better through feedback, etc...

Not trying to set some meaningless record
    It’s alpha, nowhere near beta, and they’re testing the server tech.
    KyleranGdemamiTwistedSister77bamwalla
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Sovrath said:
    jitter77 said:

When you log in it says "alpha combat" at the bottom.

This should't have been called beta test. Not sure where the confusion was.
    This is beta test. If it still says Alpha somewhere that's outdated info, because they have officially transitioned into beta.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Result of their world record attempt:

They sent out 40 000 keys, about 20 000 entered to the game during first day, and they peaked at about 2 000 players.

Source: https://www.mortalonline2.com/stress-test-day-1-report/

Between the lines you can read that a huge number of players entered the game (20 000 during a single day), but most of the must have quit just as quickly because they didn't get more than 2 000 online at once.
    KyleranGdemami

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

Raagnarz said:

What makes it well made?  From what I read, there aren’t even any creatures or AI in game.  What size battles?  Do those include siege engines and destruction of assets?

What size battles.  The poster above said that even during this “record breaking” test he only saw 25 people at a time.  Are there videos showing massive battles?

I've been in on about 50 or 60 vs's 50 or 60. Right now there are I think 6 starting towns. So the population is divided. Their approach to alpha/beta whatever phase they are in has been, "sectional" is the best way I can describe it. They target tests for very specific things. They have done specific tests for PVP, PVE, NPC interacting, Magic, Melee etc. They pull out everything but what they want to target in their test gather the data on the specifics then fix it and re-add it in. Its a very interesting way of doing it as when that section test is done they then focus on a different section to test while they correct the issues from the previous section. Then stuff gets added back in. Right now its just how many people can be on the screen fighting each other. Its not a full game at the same time currently however. Its very much log in and test what they want tested. But I had over 100 people fighting on my old pc (new one coming next week) that has an old GTX 1070 in it and 16m ram was running at 143 frames a second with that many people fighting on screen. The game looks amazing and runs exceedingly well thus far. Like I said though its probably not a game for everyone its niche to say the least. Its a shadowbane style game. What shocked me though is it was rampant ganking, unless your weapon was drawn people more or less just passed you by to fight someone who "looked' like they wanted a fight. Also their positional in game voice chat means you can tell where someone is and people can speak in the game in the local environment. For instance 2 people can be on voice chat talking in a house. They get louder the closer I get to the house. I can tell when someone is speaking to my right or left. It feels very much like it has the potential to be a real virtual world.
    Kyleran
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Vrika said:
    Result of their world record attempt:

They sent out 40 000 keys, about 20 000 entered to the game during first day, and they peaked at about 2 000 players.

Source: https://www.mortalonline2.com/stress-test-day-1-report/

Between the lines you can read that a huge number of players entered the game (20 000 during a single day), but most of the must have quit just as quickly because they didn't get more than 2 000 online at once.

I think part of the issue is that, unless I'm mistaken, they said "come on in and test!" but never gave a time frame when people should, there wasn't really enough in there to keep people invested, the game did crash for me and when I tried to get back in I was told that my character was still in the game world so if that happened to others they may have said, "screw it."

Still, they have some info so that's good.

It's not a bad looking world and the music is beautiful

This could be "something" if they can finish it.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Kuroi_TaigaKuroi_Taiga Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Mars_OMG said:
    crashed for me, every time :|

which error?

i have a 10y old pc and i can run it even tho at 35fps in towns
    alkarionlog