Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Details Its Threads Of Fate Feature For Shadowlands Players In New Post | MMORPG.c

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft Details Its Threads Of Fate Feature For Shadowlands Players In New Post | MMORPG.com

For those playing Shadowlands but want a non-linear way to experience the expansion, Blizzard might just have what you need to get the most out of your World of Warcraft journey thanks to its Threads of Fate feature.

Read the full story here

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    The company is more concerned with manipulation and punishment than creative development. I’m surprised anyone is still playing any of their games.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    edited November 2020
    Threads of Fate is a good alternative for players who want a variety leveling experience, rather than a linear path. It's not faster than the traditional campaign path, but it does save time at the end if you want to bypass all of the story stuff up to that point. My biggest complaint, and it's one I've seen by many other players on the forums is that the bonus objectives (crossed swords) on the map take too long to do so if anything it can feel more tedious. It is a great option for people who want to chain dungeon runs to level.
    [Deleted User]xpsyncZenJellyRaivyn79
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Valentina said:
    Threads of Fate is a good alternative for players who want a variety leveling experience, rather than a linear path. It's not faster than the traditional campaign path, but it does save time at the end if you want to bypass all of the story stuff up to that point. My biggest complaint, and it's one I've seen by many other players on the forums is that the bonus objectives (crossed swords) on the map take too long to do so if anything it can feel more tedious. It is a great option for people who want to chain dungeon runs to level.
    Tried it with my hunter alt and I just find it a bit too scattered. I hate to admit it but as someone just returning since MoP, I want the quest hub handholding for now at least. And it's an irreversible decision so that alt is going to the bottom of the pile until I get more comfortable with the game again.

As to what it has become, the way it's structured now it's best to think of it as 9 different, separate but related MMOs in one: you can take the classic route in retail WoW, BC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, Draenor, Legion or BfA and each is a self contained 1-50 game.

Makes more sense to me thinking of it that way.

xpsyncMoonWolfen
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    WoW has alway been on rails, they invented quest hubs. Leveling alts has always been boring because of it. I'm not sure how much this will help but I do plan to level a couple of alts. Will check it out.
    xpsyncRaivyn79
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    edited November 2020

OG_Zorvan said:

They've so totally fucked this game up. Supposed to be a veteran game developer, yet even when a younger studio like Zenimax pulls off world scaling while allowing seamless questing, Blizzard creates a Frankensteinian system that just makes it not worth the effort if you're a new player, or even an old one, trying to play the story in order. They would have been better off with another "cataclysm" and just making the world outside of Shadowlands non-existent at this point. The whole Chromie nonsense is just puke worthy and that new "threads" BS looks to be more of the same vomit.

You actually think that the game would be better for a new player to play through every single story in order for a game that is 16 years old? Even FF14, while requiring players to do that, speeds up the old content every expansion so that it takes roughly 100 hours to catch up. The WoW community wanted threads of fate and the Chromie time. You clearly didn't and that is fine. The reality is though that it is better for the game and better for new as well as veteran players because it gets them playing with their friends easier while allowing them to pick the way they play the game. WoW has NEVER been a game about leveling. It has always been about being at max level. The closest it was to that is Vanilla, and even in the original game the whole point was end game still.

Zenimax actually has a rather amateurish version of world scaling. The game actually has 0 scaling. All they did is bump everything to level 50, including your character. That is not scaling dynamically. In WoW everything is scaling while leveling and if you are fighting a level 30 mob with a level 37 the mob is 30 to you and 37 to them and changes numbers to reflect that. It is pretty genius in reality. Hell, WoW may have just everyone at max level in the background as well, but the point is that it still FEELS like you are leveling up and gaining power. That is the important bit. In ESO you don't feel like you gain power when you level.
    xpsync[Deleted User]Raivyn79
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Shadowland is a good expansion for resto shamans! hope they wont nerf them! They are good in everything now.

xpsync

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

Iselin said:

Valentina said:

Tried it with my hunter alt and I just find it a bit too scattered. I hate to admit it but as someone just returning since MoP, I want the quest hub handholding for now at least. And it's an irreversible decision so that alt is going to the bottom of the pile until I get more comfortable with the game again.

As to what it has become, the way it's structured now it's best to think of it as 9 different, separate but related MMOs in one: you can take the classic route in retail WoW, BC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, Draenor, Legion or BfA and each is a self contained 1-50 game.

..and that's why you still have the "normal" mode. Wtf are we talking about? If you want to be "Hand Held", simply ignore Threads of Fate.

/simple
    xpsync

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

IceAge said:

Iselin said:

Valentina said:

..and that's why you still have the "normal" mode. Wtf are we talking about? If you want to be "Hand Held", simply ignore Threads of Fate.

/simple
    In case it wasn't clear to you. If you try Threads of Fate to check it out there is no going back to doing it the other way for that character.

/simplr
    xpsync[Deleted User]velimirius
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Level 55 in Maldraxxus still it'll be a bit before i get to test drive that feature.

Good to know they have alts on their minds this expansion.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L

Dragnelus said:

Shadowland is a good expansion for resto shamans! hope they wont nerf them!

Me too i can't wait to play my Shaman.

Overall glad i took my main, i have an AH in my garrison, i was disappointed there was no AH in Shadowlands (like every expac), and i dunno i just don't want to return to "wow" (lol) for as long as i can, i'm loving Shadowlands way too much. So... i just zone to wod real quick, and straight back to Shadowlands!!!
    Dragnelus

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    xpsync said:

Dragnelus said:

Shadowland is a good expansion for resto shamans! hope they wont nerf them!

Me too i can't wait to play my Shaman.

Overall glad i took my main, i have an AH in my garrison, i was disappointed there was no AH in Shadowlands (like every expac), and i dunno i just don't want to return to "wow" (lol) for as long as i can, i'm loving Shadowlands way too much. So... i just zone to wod real quick, and straight back to Shadowlands!!!
    Unless you were an engineer there are rarely AH's outside of the original cities.
    xpsync
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Started a fresh DK to get reaquainted with the game. I have to say the leveling experience is much more laxed and enjoyable. Scaling is done brilliantly imo.
    xpsyncragebulletRaivyn79
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

Iselin said:

IceAge said:

Iselin said:

Valentina said:

/simple

In case it wasn't clear to you. If you try Threads of Fate to check it out there is no going back to doing it the other way for that character.

/simplr

I don't understand where your problem is. Before unlocking ToF, you have to finish the Story Campaign ( "hand hold" mode ) with 1 character. After that, you are free to reply the Story Campaign ( "hand hold" mode, as you like ) AND along the way, if you feel that it is enough ......"hand helding", you can chose ToF.

Yes, you can't go back "hand holding" if you first chose ToF, but why would you try .. a not hand holding system, if its clear you want one?! Like .. mind blowing!
    Iselinvelimirius

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited November 2020
    IceAge said:

but why would you try .. a not hand holding system, if its clear you want one?! Like .. mind blowing!
    Obviously because it was not clear that I didn't want it until I tried it.

There are tons of posts on the forums and reddit from people who tried it and didn't like it... now. I was one of the first to try it because I leveled my 1st 60 in a couple of days, There weren't many opinions about it one way or the other when I tried it.

Your mind must get blown really easily lol.
    [Deleted User]velimirius

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Call it ( "hand hold" mode ) if you will, i call it the most immersive, engrossing expansion i've ever played, way beyond impressed with Shadowlands.

I'm also surprised how invested i am in the story, thanks to the linear rpg style story telling. A brilliant decision after all, and what i mean there is i was far from happy when i found out it was linear, as in, what do you mean i can't go where i want? this is lame af.

As the saying goes, don't knock it until you try it, the expression could not be more true in this case, my gawd Shadowlands is an amazing expansion.

I start to play and i disappear, i'm fully submerged in the world, the story, and engaging combat, which i dunno to me, so far, as i'm almost done Ardenweald, Revendreth still to go and only level 57 but... i think people are way overvaluing covenant abilities as a deciding factor, like way the f overvalued their importance. I mean yeah they are cool, but i dunno, overvalued.

I hope to hit Revendreth today, even though i know Night Fae will be my choice, absolutely love the zone, but i'm in zero rush, savoring every pixel of this exceptional gem of an expansion, well, let's be real, new mmorpg.
    [Deleted User]GroqstrongvelimiriusRaivyn79

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    xpsync said:
    Call it ( "hand hold" mode ) if you will, i call it the most immersive, engrossing expansion i've ever played, way beyond impressed with Shadowlands.

I'm also surprised how invested i am in the story, thanks to the linear rpg style story telling. A brilliant decision after all, and what i mean there is i was far from happy when i found out it was linear, as in, what do you mean i can't go where i want? this is lame af.

As the saying goes, don't knock it until you try it, the expression could not be more true in this case, my gawd Shadowlands is an amazing expansion.

I start to play and i disappear, i'm fully submerged in the world, the story, and engaging combat, which i dunno to me, so far, as i'm almost done Ardenweald, Revendreth still to go and only level 57 but... i think people are way overvaluing covenant abilities as a deciding factor, like way the f overvalued their importance. I mean yeah they are cool, but i dunno, overvalued.

I hope to hit Revendreth today, even though i know Night Fae will be my choice, absolutely love the zone, but i'm in zero rush, savoring every pixel of this exceptional gem of an expansion, well, let's be real, new mmorpg.
    Bastion makes me sick   >:).  Liking Maldraxxus much better.  Only 54 got family visiting so play time has been limited.
    xpsync

Horusra said:

xpsync said:

Bastion makes me sick   >:).  Liking Maldraxxus much better.  Only 54 got family visiting so play time has been limited.

Haha my one son loves Bastion so went Kyrian, the other went Venthyr, and as i already knew i'll be going Night Fae.

Speaking of Night Fae OMFG!!!!!!! What an incredible ending wholly F me, the story and where it OMG no spoilers, just like wholly F and the zone Ardenweald itself i'm home. Love the subtle ambient sounds, mesmerized.

I entered Revendreth last night level 58, an amazing zone from what i've seen so far, like literally just started and so impressed with the intro as it really sucked me in, so much that, i know i'll go Night Fae but oh man all the zones have made it a very tough choice. Alts anyone?

The night fae story though omg, epic could be used to describe it but i think mind = BLOWN!!! works best.

It's like all those cinematic scenes that they released way back, i mean i watched them and yeah cool as i sorta watched while plying, but in game put into context, well for example the Night Fae one i watched before the expansion went live and i didn't get why peeps ended up in tears at the end? In game in context, it was hard to not be a little misty i'll admit that, like wholly F me man, heart wrenching, and is why i'm going Night Fae, they need me. :)