Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a new rig/rigs

laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,376
I've been messing around with flight sims since the mid 80's. Since the early 2000's I've always built two machines, one for running the sim and a single screen, the other running study level aircraft with four screens of avionics, hardware and other goodies such as weather simulation programs etc. I've always wanted to build myself a system with a 220deg field of view. This use to require multiple computers to have any kind of acceptable frame rate.

I've been waiting for todays news regarding AMD's new lineup. I want to start the design of a new system. I have a choice... I can go with three short throw projectors to achieve the 220 or I can go with five displays. 

The flight sims I use are Prepar3D, X-Plane and MSFS.

I welcome any thoughts and/or recommendations. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Ungood

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,691
    edited October 2020
    Unless you've already decided to go for NVidia + Intel, I recommend waiting for reviews on AMD's lineup. Then make decisions once the reviews are in.
    laserit

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,376
    Vrika said:
    Unless you've already decided to go for NVidia + Intel, I recommend waiting for reviews on AMD's lineup. Then make decisions once the reviews are in.
    I haven't decided on any component yet. I'll probably have to wait on availability no matter what brand I decide on.

• LonesolsLonesols Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I'd definitely say either would work for what you are talking about. There isn't much differnce between intel and amd anymore, minus high fps gaming, even that now isn't noticeable really unless you use a program to monitor numbers. The only thing I can say is the 3800x and the 5700xt can have problems with certain games. So I'm sure the new generation will be the same. Examples of amd problems are in dark age of Camelot it will micro skip no matter what setting you have, it also has sound problems. 

If you like hdmi atmos, skip amd and Radeon. 
    laserit
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,376
    edited November 2020
    Bought my first pieces. I decided to go Ryzen this time :)

AMD 3950X
    https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-9-3950x/p/N82E16819113616?Item=N82E16819113616

MSI MEG X570 UNIFY 
    https://www.newegg.ca/msi-meg-x570-unify/p/N82E16813144273?Item=N82E16813144273

and Windows 10 Pro for $7.45, thanks for the heads up MMORPG.com ;)