Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest's 27th Expansion Includes A $250 Version, Coming December | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageEverQuest's 27th Expansion Includes A $250 Version, Coming December | MMORPG.com

Daybreak has announced that the upcoming 27th (!!) expansion for EverQuest, is coming in December - and it's got a $250 version if you're game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    A new raid and some mounts or cyberpunk and $190. Hmm.
    [Deleted User]foppoteeSandmanjwRoinstrawhat0981doomexPortz
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

But how can that be as wow invented the genre 16 years ago?
    foppoteeNanfoodleitchmonAgent_Josephwhodisoneguysschrupp
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    With a $250 version, a more appropriate release date might be December 7.

[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    guess milking those hardcore fans for $, but still cheaper then some of those ships from star citizen, loved eq back in the day, hopefully will see some new game someday.
    foppoteeitchmonPortz
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    xpsync said:
    27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

27 expansions in 21 years...The game launched in 99....I quit playing hardcore in 2005 or so and was starting to get overwhelmed with all of the content even then...i can't even fathom what it is like now.
    foppoteexpsync
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 505
    I tried getting back into EQ, several months ago, after a LONG absence & Daybreak saying they couldn't find my old account. I play casually with about 1/2 soloing & 1/2 in a group. I played a couple of months F2P & a couple of months subbed. The npc-companions are simply not good enough at higher levels, both the F2P & the subbed versions, they just cannot endure which makes me speculate why there's so much 3rd-party botting being prevalent. If I could play with my own npc-group the game would be fun again since I'd be able to play at my own pace. However the game isn't worth a $250 investment, imo, but perhaps that price is just for those fortunate enough to afford & want to support EQ after all these years.
    Mendel
    foppotee said:
    I tried getting back into EQ, several months ago, after a LONG absence & Daybreak saying they couldn't find my old account. I play casually with about 1/2 soloing & 1/2 in a group. I played a couple of months F2P & a couple of months subbed. The npc-companions are simply not good enough at higher levels, both the F2P & the subbed versions, they just cannot endure which makes me speculate why there's so much 3rd-party botting being prevalent. If I could play with my own npc-group the game would be fun again since I'd be able to play at my own pace. However the game isn't worth a $250 investment, imo, but perhaps that price is just for those fortunate enough to afford & want to support EQ after all these years.

There are vast differences between the F2P game and the All Access game.  The limitations on F2P include no AutoGrant of AAs, a limit of 1000 AAs, no use of Journeyman mercs, no use of Rk II (or Rk III) spells, no ability to sell or buy in the Bazaar.  At some point, these factors combine to make a very real limit on F2P players.

Coupled with the lack of any real plan for moving from All Access back to F2P status, the player that goes F2P will soon be abandoning the game.  Backing down from the AutoGrant AAs to the 1000 AA limit can be very brutal  (the 1000 limit is a remnant from the GoD/OOW expansions when the level limit was 70).  I know Mendel still sits broken with AAs I earned (not AutoGranted) unable to be spent.  The idea of buying all Rk I spells would hurt, both the financial in-game (plat) loss and the psychological loss of having spent so much time (and plat) to collect mostly Rk II spells from Level 70-90.  I might could get him going again, but it would take about 100,000 plat just to get a functional spell set again.

The game limits seem reasonable, but are stuck with limitations from earlier expansions.  It is pretty clear that SOE/DBG just didn't think about people actually going from All Access back to F2P.  Most people who have dropped All Access have moved on; they aren't in F2P where they *might* spend money on the in-game store or even re-up with All Access.  That is a lost opportunity to sell, essentially customers walking out the door; something no business should really want nor tolerate.

foppotee

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

OG_Zorvan said:

xpsync said:

27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

...i can't even fathom what it is like now.

A disjointed mess of mostly ignored content.

Considering the number of TLP servers they create every year, none of their content is ever ignored. Every expansion is fully played and enjoyed every year.
    xpsync
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    27 expansions is amazing.

$250 for the top version of the expansion is greedy. Booo DB.
    itchmonxpsync

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm just going to remain impressed. 
    Sovrath

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Let me guess 6 new zones? That's what passes as expansions now...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ohh wow, that 199 bucks version of LotROs War of Three Peaks seems really cheap now doesn’t it?  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AmatheTuor7SovrathPo_gg
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103

xpsync said:

27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

It's the 27th expansion in 21 years. Not 27 years old.
    Amathexpsync
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    lahnmir said:
    Ohh wow, that 199 bucks version of LotROs War of Three Peaks seems really cheap now doesn’t it?  ;)
    Looks like they have to keep raising the bar until day break it :)

First the $130 expansions in LotRO,

then the re-labeled (normally free) quest pack for $100 (not 199, that must be a typo), sold on the new Daybreak powered store,

and now in EQ the highest $140 tier, which is already +10 dollars compared to LotRO's $130 (must the the inflation or they just follow Sony's general +10 dollars on games), so this $140 pack topped with an additional tier for $250.

Lifetime subscriptions, with the entire game accessible, used to be cheaper than that, FFS...
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Po_gg said:
    lahnmir said:
    Looks like they have to keep raising the bar until day break it :)

First the $130 expansions in LotRO,

then the re-labeled (normally free) quest pack for $100 (not 199, that must be a typo), sold on the new Daybreak powered store,

and now in EQ the highest $140 tier, which is already +10 dollars compared to LotRO's $130 (must the the inflation or they just follow Sony's general +10 dollars on games), so this $140 pack topped with an additional tier for $250.

Lifetime subscriptions, with the entire game accessible, used to be cheaper than that, FFS...
    Ahh yes, you are absolutely right, its only 99 instead of 199. That makes it a bloody bargain compared to this one!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Po_gg
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    xpsync said:
    27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

IDK WoW does all kinds of magic.  Like for example why is Lich King's horse called invincible even though I can see him?  Makes no sense.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I am so happy I was part of this game from the very beginning. It is great to realise that something you absolutely loved lasted this long.
    xpsyncAmathecheyane

remsleep said:
    kitarad said:
    I am so happy I was part of this game from the very beginning. It is great to realise that something you absolutely loved lasted this long.

For me EQ1 died a long time ago - what the game is today is so far removed from what the game originally was, not sure how one can even see it as the same game anymore. 

It's much different, and community is gone unless you raid, but it's still easy to wax nostalgic.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Prepared said:

xpsync said:

27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

It's the 27th expansion in 21 years. Not 27 years old.

xpsync said:
    27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

IDK WoW does all kinds of magic.  Like for example why is Lich King's horse called invincible even though I can see him?  Makes no sense.

lmao, thanks!!! tbh i wasn't thinking, all i wanted was to make that comment, used to drive me insane that so many people thought it all started with wow.

Yeah never know right, could be a time travel thing actually... hmmmm... YEP!!! headache coming on lol
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    remsleep said:
    kitarad said:

For me EQ1 died a long time ago - what the game is today is so far removed from what the game originally was, not sure how one can even see it as the same game anymore. 

It's much different, and community is gone unless you raid, but it's still easy to wax nostalgic.
    Actually you don't even have to bring nostalgia into it at all. People play on the TLP servers and have just as much fun today doing Kunark/Velious and the old content as they did back when it came out.

In fact the TLP servers are the most popular. 
    kitarad

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

xpsync said:
    27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

Invincible = cant kill it
    Invisible = cant see it
    xpsyncAmatheMendelkitaradphoenixfire2
    "Lifetime subscriptions, with the entire game accessible, used to be cheaper than that, FFS.."

Did LoTROs original lifetime sub also include all future expansions for free or just not having to ever pay a sub again?
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    "Lifetime subscriptions, with the entire game accessible, used to be cheaper than that, FFS.."

Did LoTROs original lifetime sub also include all future expansions for free or just not having to ever pay a sub again?
    Originally (during the subscription era) it only meant no sub ever again, since there were no other paywalls within the game. Expansions weren't included.

After the f2p switch, while technically expansions still aren't included, in practice you can get them for free through your monthly stipend.
    xpsync said:
    27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

Invisible = cant see it

Like I said makes no sense, why would they even call him invincible if you can see him?
    xpsync said:
    27 OMG!

27 years old yikes!

Invisible = cant see it

Like I said makes no sense, why would they even call him invincible if you can see him?

Now, toss in intangible, and you'll end up with M.C. Hammer.  Can't Touch This.

phoenixfire2