Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Announces 'Fortnite Crew' a New Monthly Subscription Offer | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageEpic Announces 'Fortnite Crew' a New Monthly Subscription Offer | MMORPG.com

If you like Fortnite and by reading this news release, we suspect that you might, then you may be happy to hear that Epic Games is launching a new subscription offering, Fortnite Crew that will provide

Read the full story here

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    wow, the cow need more milking I see
    foppotee
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75

remsleep said:

wow, the cow need more milking I see

Yep - but the truth is that all of this is still 100% cosmetic.

If you play Fortnite for free you are 100% on the same footing as someone who dumps a lot of money into the game

I don't like Fortnite - but it is worth pointing out that there is still zero p2w despite them making billions

Yeah I actually like the way Fortnite does it. I don't know of anyone who does it better.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Zero P2W is a huge point for them. So milk all the way if it is cosmetics.
    IceAgeTwistedSister77

• KataalKataal Member UncommonPosts: 173
    I hate battle royales in general, and Fortnite more than many (for abandoning Save the World, which was actually pretty fun). However, reading this and that you get both the battle pass + 1k vbucks a month (10 bucks worth, almost the whole sub's price right there), plus more, it does seem like a very fair deal for those who already spend money on the game.
    TwistedSister77
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Ahh f yeah, another monthly sub, woot! just what the world needs.

Hmm if i cancel my toaster sub, and the sub for the 4th element on the stove, yeah i could probably pull this off.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    Gotta love how part of mmorpg's downfall was a measly 15 bones a month for more game and content that you could ever play through, but omg 15 a month was such a huge problem for people now blowing well in excess of that in 2 minutes on a cash shop.

Pay those subs or you won't be able to use your brand new juicer you just bought, but hey that's ok as long as i don't have to pay 15 a month for an mmorpg, i'm much more satisfied spending 100's

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    xpsync said:
    Gotta love how part of mmorpg's downfall was a measly 15 bones a month for more game and content that you could ever play through, but omg 15 a month was such a huge problem for people now blowing well in excess of that in 2 minutes on a cash shop.

Pay those subs or you won't be able to use your brand new juicer you just bought, but hey that's ok as long as i don't have to pay 15 a month for an mmorpg, i'm much more satisfied spending 100's
    But if you think about it, that statement isn't accurate at all.

Subs were ~$15 per month for everyone. You wanted to play the game then you had to pay that money.

But now a large amount of people don't pay anything or significantly less than that ~15 per month and it's only a smaller segment of the population who pay significantly more.

Those people who pay significantly more might also be the people who paid ebay prices for gold and items. Or would be the type to pay for that as they want to be competitive.

All the cash shop did was give the people who didn't want to pay anything "permission" to do just that an uncap payment for those who had a lot of money to spend.

Your statement is just not correct as those who are dropping thousands never cared about the ~15 per month.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited November 2020
    My nieces and nephews spend a fortune on this game, but it gives them hundreds of hours of fun (my teenage nephew is good enough to do the tournaments and travels for the big ones). 

They laugh at my character, because I refuse to pay for cosmetics.

Agree with others, no p2w, so I'm cool.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The modern era of gaming>>>monetize monetize monetize.

HEY GUYS,we have some new content and some new maps for you....oh wait no we don't we have some new monetization though !!.

Rockstar 50% off buy our GTA $$ NOW,are you still here,get your wallet HURRY sale ends tomorrow or until our next sale,likely tomorrow.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    @poster above me,yep you get it,too bad millions of idiots don't and just keep pouring money at these billion dollar businesses.
    I am very surprised Amazon keeps failing at gaming,you don't even need much of a game anymore,just any old pile of crap with a cash shop will do and the money practically prints itself.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    The modern era of gaming>>>monetize monetize monetize.

HEY GUYS,we have some new content and some new maps for you....oh wait no we don't we have some new monetization though !!.

Rockstar 50% off buy our GTA $$ NOW,are you still here,get your wallet HURRY sale ends tomorrow or until our next sale,likely tomorrow.

However, also... a lot of free to play.  Before that era, you were lucky if games gave you "demos"... most did not.

I agree though for games that are p2w in disguise (where F2P is so gimped you have no choice).
    Sovrath said:
    xpsync said:

Subs were ~$15 per month for everyone. You wanted to play the game then you had to pay that money.

But now a large amount of people don't pay anything or significantly less than that ~15 per month and it's only a smaller segment of the population who pay significantly more.

Those people who pay significantly more might also be the people who paid ebay prices for gold and items. Or would be the type to pay for that as they want to be competitive.

All the cash shop did was give the people who didn't want to pay anything "permission" to do just that an uncap payment for those who had a lot of money to spend.

Your statement is just not correct as those who are dropping thousands never cared about the ~15 per month.

Wasn't my point, was more about how the mmorpg genre got watered down to make way for whales, you know you always read about people and their "sub problems" back then. Hidden point was that back  then subs were the f'ing devil the root of all evil, today they are a new life standard ffs.

MMORPG subs was always a top debated topic.

I mean what really killed mmorpg's? The players themselves.

Most didn't know how good they had it, gotta bitch and complain about every little f'ing thing, including the most incredible entertainment packed price the world has ever known for more content and stuff to do that nothing has come even close to it since then.

But now we have to pay a sub to run a f'ing juicer?

What it is, is that people rejoiced that they got rid of the mmorpg sub, yeah!!! for you, lucky that they did or they wouldn't be able to run their juicer ffs.

I mean who cares that real mmorpg's are dead, doesn't matter as long as there is no sub, i gotta run my juicer twice a month for 10 seconds after all.

oooo look at this outfit for $280 my character will look... SOLD! Meh no worries there is no sub, and who cares that theirs no meaningful fresh engaging content, my toon looks so badass and i didn't have to group up, or do a quest line, or kill any mobs at all, heck i didn't have to play at all, now this is gaming!

Is why i play wow, here's my monthly sub, PLAY! Same with SWG:L here's my monthly donation: PLAY!
    [Deleted User]kitarad

xpsync said:
    Sovrath said:
    xpsync said:

Wasn't my point, was more about how the mmorpg genre got watered down to make way for whales, you know you always read about people and their "sub problems" back then. Hidden point was that back  then subs were the f'ing devil the root of all evil, today they are a new life standard ffs.

MMORPG subs was always a top debated topic.

I mean what really killed mmorpg's? The players themselves.

Most didn't know how good they had it, gotta bitch and complain about every little f'ing thing, including the most incredible entertainment packed price the world has ever known for more content and stuff to do that nothing has come even close to it since then.

But now we have to pay a sub to run a f'ing juicer?

What it is, is that people rejoiced that they got rid of the mmorpg sub, yeah!!! for you, lucky that they did or they wouldn't be able to run their juicer ffs.

I mean who cares that real mmorpg's are dead, doesn't matter as long as there is no sub, i gotta run my juicer twice a month for 10 seconds after all.

oooo look at this outfit for $280 my character will look... SOLD! Meh no worries there is no sub, and who cares that theirs no meaningful fresh engaging content, my toon looks so badass and i didn't have to group up, or do a quest line, or kill any mobs at all, heck i didn't have to play at all, now this is gaming!

Is why i play wow, here's my monthly sub, PLAY! Same with SWG:L here's my monthly donation: PLAY!
    Subs were $14.99 a month typically = $180 a year (plus you had to buy the game).  That is a lot to invest in a single game. (I'm not against subs).

Back in the day, servers were really expensive and online gaming was new.  So we could justify that cost to maintenance of the game and servers.

In 2020... that is not the case at all.  A company needs to adapt to gaming and pricing trends.

Yes, the stupidity of impulse buying vs work/reward acquisition of items/costumes...so I agree, it's the players.
    [Deleted User]xpsync
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    At least they haven't noticed the a clever promotional idea and are sticking to monthly subscriptions.  But that's just a step away from fortnightly Fortnite subscriptions.  Hey, look!  I just doubled someone's income.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Torval said:
    P2W matters somewhat but it depends on context and what advantages they're selling. Is it PvE only and are they buffs or xp accelerators? Then I care less or not at all. Is it PvP, gear, or something that is needed to play with others? Then I care more.

For me putting cosmetics and collections behind an expensive paywall, loot crates, or an obnoxious cash shop, then I care about it just like P2W.

Mostly it matters how aggressively the game is monetized and what is the overall cost of enjoyment.

Yeah back then you'd see another player with a kickass wep and you be like, f me! how'd you get that? It would be an epic journey with a sweet gratifying, satisfying, well earned and deserved reward.

Today... all you say is "How much that cost?"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    xpsync said:
    Torval said:
    P2W matters somewhat but it depends on context and what advantages they're selling. Is it PvE only and are they buffs or xp accelerators? Then I care less or not at all. Is it PvP, gear, or something that is needed to play with others? Then I care more.

For me putting cosmetics and collections behind an expensive paywall, loot crates, or an obnoxious cash shop, then I care about it just like P2W.

Mostly it matters how aggressively the game is monetized and what is the overall cost of enjoyment.

Yeah back then you'd see another player with a kickass wep and you be like, f me! how'd you get that? It would be an epic journey with a sweet gratifying, satisfying, well earned and deserved reward.

Today... all you say is "How much that cost?"

But again people back then were ebaying. That's really the reason why we have cash shops.

Game companies couldn't keep up with banning farmers and buyers. YEt players kept screaming "ban them, ban them." And then game companies started looking at the numbers and saw that a lot of people were buying.

Essentially, some other party was making money off their work and they had to pay extra money to temporarily stop everyone only to then have them make new accounts and do it again.

It's a certain group of players who made this mess. They just taught game companies the lesson that they can either continue to bleed money and fight an uphill battle or give this segment of the spending population what they wanted.

Sort of.
    xpsync
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JusinaJusina Newbie CommonPosts: 3

I love royal battles and Fortnite more than many (for leaving Save the World). However, reading this and that you are getting both the Battle Pass + 1k Vbucks per month (worth $ 10, almost the entire subscription price) as well as more, it seems like a very fair deal for those who are already spending their money on the game.