Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Radeon RX 6800 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageAMD Radeon RX 6800 | MMORPG.com

We already looked at the RX 6800 XT, but how does it's younger sibling the RX 6800 stack up? Find out in our review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    That card costs more than my whole computer.
    xpsync
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    foxgirl said:
    And just think, this is the cheap bin.  The Radeon RX 6900 XT is $1000.  The GeForce RTX 3090 is $1500.  And then there is stuff like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-GV100-Volta-Graphics/dp/B07JBQ4DBV
    xpsyncGdemami
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    foxgirl said:

I'm 27" 1080p and feeling no need to upgrade, everything runs maxed and looks amazing. I'm good!

With the squish you get with 4k you'd need to get at least a 32 inch monitor i think. I dunno one day probably but not any time soon, just not that interested in messing with perfection atm.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    edited November 2020
    Still using a 760 that cost me $160 in 2013 lul

Every game I play can be played on max settings; but I haven't really played anything from the last 3 years. Even the 2020 budget cards are ridiculously expensive. I'd like to upgrade, but this is nuts.
    [Deleted User]
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428

xpsync said:

foxgirl said:

I'm 27" 1080p and feeling no need to upgrade, everything runs maxed and looks amazing. I'm good!

With the squish you get with 4k you'd need to get at least a 32 inch monitor i think. I dunno one day probably but not any time soon, just not that interested in messing with perfection atm.

Yeah, I'm in this boat as well. I don't think I even have space for a 4k monitor. The only way I could use this is if I streamed to the TV. It's not like I'm missing that. The biggest I could fit is some 2k with 144Hz.

Regardless, that price point is crazy. If only people were smart enough to boycott, but that's too much to expect.
    Gdemamixpsync
    Gorwe said:

Regardless, that price point is crazy. If only people were smart enough to boycott, but that's too much to expect.
    If people were to boycott the high end GPUs, that wouldn't lead AMD and Nvidia to sell them for cheaper.  It would lead AMD and Nvidia to stop building them at all.  High end GPUs are expensive to buy because they're expensive to build.  If no one is willing to pay high prices for them, then building them anyway and selling them cheaply would mean you lose money.

There's no reason why a GeForce GTX 960, GTX 1060, and GTX 1660 Ti couldn't have been the top end Nvidia cards of their respective generations, with the higher end GPUs simply not existing.  Indeed, in some generations, AMD has simply not bothered to build an expensive, high end GPU, notably including the Radeon RX 400 series and the Radeon RX 5000 series.
    [Deleted User]GorweTuor7[Deleted User]
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Time to see if this ends up being a near-paper launch as well, or if some inventory actually moves.

At the rate 2020 is going, I don't expect to see anything in stock until well unto 2021, just because it's 2020 and FU.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Canyen109

Quizzical said:

Gorwe said:

If people were to boycott the high end GPUs, that wouldn't lead AMD and Nvidia to sell them for cheaper.  It would lead AMD and Nvidia to stop building them at all.  High end GPUs are expensive to buy because they're expensive to build.  If no one is willing to pay high prices for them, then building them anyway and selling them cheaply would mean you lose money.

There's no reason why a GeForce GTX 960, GTX 1060, and GTX 1660 Ti couldn't have been the top end Nvidia cards of their respective generations, with the higher end GPUs simply not existing.  Indeed, in some generations, AMD has simply not bothered to build an expensive, high end GPU, notably including the Radeon RX 400 series and the Radeon RX 5000 series.

Yeah, I misjudged what this really is. This is more like Vega56 or the like than it is like upper middle I figured it to be. My bad.

Though you can't fault me for jumping at a conclusion, given the recent trend of anti consumerism. They want to increase the price of games, hardware etc.
    Gdemami
  • MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131
    With 10 GB the 3070 would be a no-brainer for my new system next year, but 8GB is a gamble for 1440p or maybe even for 1080p gaming.

I think the RX6800 is not good enough for the price point. Better spend a bit more for the XT or save and buy the 3070. Because of DLSS and better RT performance.

Currently I can still run AC Valhalla on ~60 FPS in 1080 on my old pc (i7 4790k, 1070 8GB). For that game, the CPU is still fine (~60-75% utilization) but the CPU is on its limit on High settings.

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

Mandalore said:

With 10 GB the 3070 would be a no-brainer for my new system next year, but 8GB is a gamble for 1440p or maybe even for 1080p gaming.

I think the RX6800 is not good enough for the price point. Better spend a bit more for the XT or save and buy the 3070. Because of DLSS and better RT performance.

Currently I can still run AC Valhalla on ~60 FPS in 1080 on my old pc (i7 4790k, 1070 8GB). For that game, the CPU is still fine (~60-75% utilization) but the CPU is on its limit on High settings.

Yes, I honestly never understood why they produced both Vega 56 and 64. Likewise for 6800 and 6800XT. The price difference isn't that large and if you're willing to spend as much on a GFX, just go with 64 / XT. The best thing was when you could literally flash / unlock 56 to actually be 64. Come on, for real?
    Gorwe said:

Mandalore said:

Yes, I honestly never understood why they produced both Vega 56 and 64. Likewise for 6800 and 6800XT. The price difference isn't that large and if you're willing to spend as much on a GFX, just go with 64 / XT. The best thing was when you could literally flash / unlock 56 to actually be 64. Come on, for real?
    They're just different bins of the same chip.  AMD makes a Navi 21 GPU chip with 80 physical compute units.  On particular dies, however, some of those compute units are defective for one reason or another as a result of variation in manufacturing.  Rather than throwing away the entire chip when any part of it is defective (which would mean discarding most of them), they offer different bins.  The Radeon RX 6900 XT has all 80 compute units active, the RX 6800 XT disables 8 of them to leave 72 active, and the RX 6800 disables 20 of them to leave 60 active.

When they get a bunch of physical dies back from the fab, they test them to see which parts work or don't work.  If the whole thing works exactly how they hope, they sell it as an RX 6900 XT.  If 3 compute units are defective but everything else works great, they disable some 8 that include the three defective ones and sell it as an RX 6800 XT.  If 10 compute units are defective, or fewer are defective but just can't clock high enough to sell it as a 6800 XT, they'll sell it as a 6800 if they can.

Prices of different bins are often a statement about yields.  For example, when the chips come back from the fabs, suppose that only 10% of them can meet the 6900 XT bin, another 60% can meet the 6800 XT bin, another 10% can meet the 6800, and the other 20% have to be thrown in the garbage (e.g., if the PCI Express controller or video decode block are defective, you can't sell it as any bin).  In that case, if you make all three bins look like equally good deals, the 6900 XT and 6800 quickly sell out while you're stuck with a bunch of 6800 XTs that don't sell at all.  (Well, once you can get real volume to retail, that is.)

If instead you price them such that most people think the 6800 XT looks like a much better value than the other bins, then maybe you can convince 6 times as many people to buy the 6800 XT as settle for the 6800, and then you can sell the cards in the same proportion that the dies come back from the fabs.  And how do you convince people to mostly get the 6800 XT rather than the other bins?  You make prices look about like AMD set them.
    Tuor7[Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    remsleep said:
    here we go again talking about cards that are completely unobtainable to average person.

It would be really nice if the media took a stance of not posting any reviews until there was sufficient supply of hardware available to public - just to keep hardware companies from doing these shitty paper launches (looking at you Nvidia and AMD)

But here we are - getting reviews on stuff that 99.9999% of the public can't buy.
    I disagree. Getting the reviews early just means we can make better plans for the future.

So what if we can't actually build a computer with these components until next year? Most of us are just doing PC upgrades that we can do a bit sooner or a bit later depending on when it's a good time to buy. These reviews are something we should have now instead of later so that we'll know it's worth waiting instead of having to make guesses about future products.
    [Deleted User]Quizzical

Quizzical said:
    Gorwe said:

Mandalore said:

They're just different bins of the same chip.  AMD makes a Navi 21 GPU chip with 80 physical compute units.  On particular dies, however, some of those compute units are defective for one reason or another as a result of variation in manufacturing.  Rather than throwing away the entire chip when any part of it is defective (which would mean discarding most of them), they offer different bins.  The Radeon RX 6900 XT has all 80 compute units active, the RX 6800 XT disables 8 of them to leave 72 active, and the RX 6800 disables 20 of them to leave 60 active.

When they get a bunch of physical dies back from the fab, they test them to see which parts work or don't work.  If the whole thing works exactly how they hope, they sell it as an RX 6900 XT.  If 3 compute units are defective but everything else works great, they disable some 8 that include the three defective ones and sell it as an RX 6800 XT.  If 10 compute units are defective, or fewer are defective but just can't clock high enough to sell it as a 6800 XT, they'll sell it as a 6800 if they can.

Prices of different bins are often a statement about yields.  For example, when the chips come back from the fabs, suppose that only 10% of them can meet the 6900 XT bin, another 60% can meet the 6800 XT bin, another 10% can meet the 6800, and the other 20% have to be thrown in the garbage (e.g., if the PCI Express controller or video decode block are defective, you can't sell it as any bin).  In that case, if you make all three bins look like equally good deals, the 6900 XT and 6800 quickly sell out while you're stuck with a bunch of 6800 XTs that don't sell at all.  (Well, once you can get real volume to retail, that is.)

If instead you price them such that most people think the 6800 XT looks like a much better value than the other bins, then maybe you can convince 6 times as many people to buy the 6800 XT as settle for the 6800, and then you can sell the cards in the same proportion that the dies come back from the fabs.  And how do you convince people to mostly get the 6800 XT rather than the other bins?  You make prices look about like AMD set them.
    So...what if I'm naughty and I or someone else decides to plumb and dig deep...following your logic, you could just unlock 6800 all the way to 6900XT. Sure, they take care to combat this, but...what about it? If they're simply DISABLED...
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    xpsync said:
    foxgirl said:

I have 27" monitor Geforce 1070 GTX. I am not that concerned about getting the top ultra graphics so it suits me fine and hopefully for another 2 years more before I need to upgrade.

Gorwe said:
    Quizzical said:

So...what if I'm naughty and I or someone else decides to plumb and dig deep...following your logic, you could just unlock 6800 all the way to 6900XT. Sure, they take care to combat this, but...what about it? If they're simply DISABLED...
    There have been quite a few stories of people doing roughly what you said with both AMD CPUs and GPUs over the years, especially in the Phenom II generation of CPUs.  And sometimes it works.

They don't just pick random chips to stick in the lower bins.  They test each chip individually to see if all of the components work and how high it can clock.  If it can meet their required specs for the 6900 XT, they'll sell it as a 6900 XT, not disable parts to sell it for cheaper as something else.

So what will happen if you buy a 6800 and modify the BIOS to try to turn it into a 6900 XT?  That depends on the silicon lottery and which chip you happened to get.  If the reason it wasn't sold as a 6900 XT is that a compute unit is completely defective, then trying to use the card will probably just crash immediately.  It's possible that the entire chip works, but just needs too much voltage or can't handle high clock speeds, in which case, you could make it stable by underclocking it.

It might even seem like it works completely fine at a 6900 XT for a while, then becomes unstable months later.  Or becomes unstable when you play particular games.  Or when your room gets kind of hot.  Or even works just fine perpetually.  If a chip is borderline such that AMD thinks there's a 50% chance that everything would be fine if they sold it as a 6900 XT and a 50% chance that it would malfunction at the required clock speeds, then they're going to sell it as a lower bin because a 50% chance of being defective is unacceptable.

If you were trying to mess with the BIOS to turn a lower bin into a 6900 XT, you'd be much better off starting with a 6800 XT.  For starters, something that could work as a 6900 XT but not reliably enough would probably meet 6800 XT specs just fine, so it wouldn't be sold as a plain 6800.  Furthermore, the 6900 XT is supposed to be able to draw 300 W.  That's the same as the 6800 XT, but the 6800 is only built for 250 W.  Even if the GPU chip is fine with 6900 XT specs, the VRMs might not be.
    remsleep said:
    Vrika said:
    remsleep said:
    here we go again talking about cards that are completely unobtainable to average person.

It would be really nice if the media took a stance of not posting any reviews until there was sufficient supply of hardware available to public - just to keep hardware companies from doing these shitty paper launches (looking at you Nvidia and AMD)

But here we are - getting reviews on stuff that 99.9999% of the public can't buy.
    I disagree. Getting the reviews early just means we can make better plans for the future.

So what if we can't actually build a computer with these components until next year? Most of us are just doing PC upgrades that we can do a bit sooner or a bit later depending on when it's a good time to buy. These reviews are something we should have now instead of later so that we'll know it's worth waiting instead of having to make guesses about future products.

I love early reviews as well - but if pretty much nobody can buy the product... delaying the review makes zero difference.

At this point - anything that can be done to push companies away from paper launches is fine by me, and if that would include delaying their reviews - I think that would be a step in the right direction before having some laws passed that would flat out prevent companies from doing this shit.

It just absolutely sucks to see these high profile youtube channels that have more stock on these non-existant products ready for review than all of amazon.com
    Trying to make laws banning soft launches would be a total mess.  How soft of a launch is too soft?

Should something like the Ryzen 5000 series launch where quite a lot of CPUs have been shipped but not enough to meet demand be treated the same as the GeForce RTX 3080/3090 or Radeon 6000 series launches where hardly any GPUs had shipped by launch day?  Should any of those be treated the same as the GeForce GTX 680, which had a strict paper launch with zero parts reaching retail until about two months after "launch"?

What about laptop parts, where the "launch" is just AMD or Nvidia or Intel or whoever announcing the specs and saying that laptop vendors have permission to sell laptops using their hardware whenever they're ready, which might be months away?  Should they be prohibited from announcing specs until laptops are actually available at retail?  How about "accidentally" leaking specs and cherry-picked benchmark scores?

Or how about the Radeon HD 5800 series, which would have been a hard launch except that a manufacturing blunder at TSMC ruined about two months worth of production, and AMD surely didn't know that would happen until well after they had chosen the launch date?  Those cards were in stock for about a week after launch, then disappeared for about two months before coming back.

And even if you can make choices about what to ban, what stops hardware vendors from merely launching their product elsewhere and not launching in your country until later?  Are you going to ban sites in your country from posting early reviews, which would just mandate that they have to move where the site is based in order to continue doing hardware reviews?  Lots of people want to read a review on launch day, but a review posted a month later won't get nearly as many clicks.