Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not So MMO: Godfall Review | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageNot So MMO: Godfall Review | MMORPG.com

Last week Mitch gave an overview of Godfall and his thoughts thus far. Now he's ready to pass his final verdict of the PS5/EGS title that ushers in next-gen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited November 2020
    Last few reviews on MMORPG.com have given consistently higher scores than the Metacritic average. Not saying the MC score is the truth set in stone but it has been noticeable. At least this is not a game MC gives 76 and here we give a 9.0, like the CoD review.

I rather like the art style on this one and heard the combat was rather good, so was hoping it would do well, even though not open world etc. They may still spruce it up down the line, will consider looking again then.

Byteraver
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 484
    Stairs, straight lane, stairs, straight lane, big circle = fight time! Stairs, straight lane, stairs, straight lane, big circle = fight time!

Repeat.
    ashiru_1978
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I am a looter fan. We're a beleagured bunch with far too many tiny, pathetic games taking advantage of us. Hell, as Destiny 2 cutting most of its paid content shows, existing games aren't above screwing with us in baffling, unacceptable ways.

This looks like another one on the pile. Hell, this one sounds more pathetic than Anthem, Avengers, and vanilla Destiny.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Stairs, straight lane, stairs, straight lane, big circle = fight time! Stairs, straight lane, stairs, straight lane, big circle = fight time!

Repeat.
    Really? I never have a good look at a game until I am considering buying it, the You Tube videos would have made my mind up then, too much of a lobby game. 
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 484

Scot said:

Repeat.

Really? I never have a good look at a game until I am considering buying it, the You Tube videos would have made my mind up then, too much of a lobby game. 

Just a pattern that I noticed from what little I've seen.
    Scot
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Classic launch title. All bells and whistles on the outside, the most basic of basic on the inside. Pass.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    HeadHunterX2Mustikos
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    I know this game sucks, but it still bothers me that this article mispelled the main villain's name the entire article. It's not Macron. It's Macros.
    Scot
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    I know this game sucks, but it still bothers me that this article mispelled the main villain's name the entire article. It's not Macron. It's Macros.
    Don't be silly, eMacron not a villain? ;)

Regardless, do review SpellForce 3: Fallen God. Their dedication deserves a reward.
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I beat this one yesterday. It's very rough. I can't even put my finger on it, but something just felt off the whole time. The world felt so bland and generic. The combat was decent, and the graphics were great. I wouldn't say the art was awesome, because it lacked an identity from start to finish. I was also very disappointed when I found out you don't loot armor. I also used 3 weapons for the entire campaign because I looted 3 oranges that made my other 100+ items irrelevant. I would recommend skipping this one until it has a deep discount.
    iamspamicus
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I noticed that the review points out the UI issues on a PC.  I find this to be a problem with almost every game designed for a console and ported to the PC.  The limitations of the controllers are carried over in the port, and rarely make good use of the more flexible keyboard and mouse setup.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    edited November 2020
    Godfall fell...

(Sorry I couldn't prevent myself)
  • HeadHunterX2HeadHunterX2 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    lahnmir said:
    Classic launch title. All bells and whistles on the outside, the most basic of basic on the inside. Pass.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I love playstation exclusives but totally agree. PS4 had a similarly flashy but forgettable launch title. (Can't even remember its name and not bothering to google, some roman thing). Oh well, I got it for the upcoming ones anyways. 
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    edited November 2020

Tykam123 said:

I beat this one yesterday. It's very rough. I can't even put my finger on it, but something just felt off the whole time. The world felt so bland and generic. The combat was decent, and the graphics were great. I wouldn't say the art was awesome, because it lacked an identity from start to finish. I was also very disappointed when I found out you don't loot armor. I also used 3 weapons for the entire campaign because I looted 3 oranges that made my other 100+ items irrelevant. I would recommend skipping this one until it has a deep discount.

I really want to buy this, but I think that is where I'm at with what you said on wait for a discount. I really like gameplay, but this is a 20-30 dollar purchase, not a 70.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    edited November 2020
    Can you even jump in that game or it's like all the Dark Souls/Sekiro games where you have a fence that's as high as your knees, but you can't jump over it, because the developers want you to go all the way around and reach the other side 3 hours later because of stupid game design?
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543

Can you even jump in that game or it's like all the Dark Souls/Sekiro games where you have a fence that's as high as your knees, but you can't jump over it, because the developers want you to go all the way around and reach the other side 3 hours later because of stupid game design?

You can't jump. I guess one plus about the relatively linear maps is you don't have to walk 3 hours to reach anything. Many of the special resources are in spots that can't be reached at all and require you to throw your shield to hit and collect them. It sounds like a silly mechanic but I found it to be a lot of fun.
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543

Scot said:

Last few reviews on MMORPG.com have given consistently higher scores than the Metacritic average. Not saying the MC score is the truth set in stone but it has been noticeable. At least this is not a game MC gives 76 and here we give a 9.0, like the CoD review.

I rather like the art style on this one and heard the combat was rather good, so was hoping it would do well, even though not open world etc. They may still spruce it up down the line, will consider looking again then.

Hmm, that's the best thing about averages. Some scores will be higher and others will be lower.

I personally do my best to not read other reviews while playing a game I am reviewing. I've read a few since I finished this review and some have very valid points but I don't agree with them completely. For example, one reviewer didn't like the repetitive nature of the missions and noted it only gets worse at end game. I personally liked the quick, get to the prize nature of the end game grind. Yes, I would like to see big dungeons and raid content but that's one of the reasons it only got a 7.5 from me.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    GODFall is a crap game everyone that bought it is pissed of the reviewer is an paid shill.