Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft Dev Moves On While We Go To Valhalla | MMORPG's Quick 5 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageWarcraft Dev Moves On While We Go To Valhalla | MMORPG's Quick 5 | MMORPG.com

This week saw a flurry of stories, capped off with a 13-year Warcraft game designer leaving Blizzard, citing unhappiness over the state of the game. Here is MMORPG's Quick 5 for the week of November 20th, 2020.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited November 2020
    So many have gone, are there any devs from the early days left in WOW now? The fact is no matter what the fans say, no matter what devs in the game or those who have left think, the modern game will not change direction. Even classic which pointed out the flaws in the modern game has made no difference. Whoever has the final say is quite happy with this money making machine.
    KyleranJeroKane
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Scot said:

So many have gone, are there any devs from the early days left in WOW now? The fact is no matter what the fans say, no matter what devs in the game or those who have left think, the modern game will not change direction. Even classic which pointed out the flaws in the modern game has made no difference. Whoever has the final say is quite happy with this money making machine.

I am so glad I resisted pre-ordering Shadowlands. This will just be BfA all over again.

Thanks, but no thanks.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    That's why Vanilla was so fun back in the day. The only story you had was mostly quest text and a few books scattered around the world. That was it, your character was the most important element in the game.

Scot
  • seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312
    I like how the game has evolved to be a story I'm made a part of when playing. BfA was one of my favorite expansions with the exception of the heart of Azeroth.

The general feel/vibe of WoW always kept me from feeling like I was playing in an immersive world. Even now after all these years I can't think of a single zone or dungeon that really had any major impact on me when I was questing there. Even the raids were just dancing with the mechanics.

In EQ it was experiences like making my way to Kelethin from Freeport for the first time, fighting our way to the bottom of Befallen, running through Kith forest at night to Highkeep, etc. These things all had an emotional impact one me when playing.

It's not just EQ though, other games had immersive experiences that had nothing to do with story. Inn EQ2 it was BlackBurrow and Wailing Caverns, in LoTRO it was Bree, in DDO it was the dungeons in the marketplace with the fire traps (I forget the quest series now), in Vanguard it was the desert city with the ports (I forget the name, but I can still visualize the town), and many others. These games all had immersive worlds or dungeons. These things all had an impact not because it was the first time doing them, but because each of these zones felt alive and unique.

In WoW I never felt that connection with the game until Yrel's story. I feel like whichever expansion that was was the turning point for me when I started to actually feel a connection to the game and it was because of the story. They add more cinematics with each expansion and I've felt more of a connection to the story with each one despite how I feel about the shitty mechanics introduced in each one. The artifacts, azerite gear/heart of azeroth, and other newer systems are all trash. The only thing this game has going for it now is the story.
    xpsync