Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User-Generated Gaming Platform Roblox Has Filed for IPO | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageUser-Generated Gaming Platform Roblox Has Filed for IPO | MMORPG.com

In a first for a user-generated gaming platform, Roblox has filed for an IPO.

Read the full story here

bcbully

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited November 2020

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2020
    Here we go AGAIN.
    When you have nothing good to say about your game just feed the media your numbers.
    I guess it would be tough to hype your own game with merit because i am looking at textures that were outdated 20 years ago,characters are just cheap looking blockheads that was outdated with the cartoon GUMBY about 40 years ago so yeah i guess we will have to rely on telling them our big bank accounts. Like seriously is there anything in that pic that says "man we put a lot of effort into this?"
    Scot[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I don't really understand what this company does. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    What is the appeal of blocks? I just dont get it.
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    edited November 2020
    This game is like cocaine for kids and it makes money hand over fist. I just don't see why they like it 
    McSleaz[Deleted User]
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    This game is like cocaine for kids and it makes money hand over fist. I just don't see why they like it 
    This is why they love it. Kids sit and watch this annoying guy for hours play the game. 

Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    boris20 said:
    This is why they love it. Kids sit and watch this annoying guy for hours play the game. 

The key to making a great game is not making a great game, just having someone who is a good entertainer popularise it for you. Gawd how far gaming has fallen.
    boris20MendelAmatheMcSleaz
  • markus1902markus1902 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Just because there are a group of games within the Roblox engine that are cash grabbing, flipping assets and mindnumbingly stupid, doesn't mean they all are. Personally I'm not into playing Roblox games but there is a lot the engine has to offer which speeds networked development and provides opportunities for small teams to potentially make great games.
    rkip
  • WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

Wizardry said:

Here we go AGAIN.

When you have nothing good to say about your game just feed the media your numbers.

I guess it would be tough to hype your own game with merit because i am looking at textures that were outdated 20 years ago,characters are just cheap looking blockheads that was outdated with the cartoon GUMBY about 40 years ago so yeah i guess we will have to rely on telling them our big bank accounts.
    Like seriously is there anything in that pic that says "man we put a lot of effort into this?"

Roblox, like Minecraft, has mass-market appeal (especially with the younger ages). It's a brand that has proven success outside of gaming. Like with toys, party supplies, and so on.

Like it or not games don't need fancy graphics to be appealing and profitable or even find a mass market.
    rkipUngood
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    boris20 said:

OMG he IS annoying. 
    Scot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    My daughter watches this family all the time and they do more than just game. I think some of the stuff is pretty funny.
    rkip
    edited November 2020
    jitter77 said:
    My daughter watches this family all the time and they do more than just game. I think some of the stuff is pretty funny.
    So the parents are using their kids for the family business? People do that, from farmers to celebrities, though I see no issues with the former. I would suggest that the effect on youngsters of fame online and indeed celebrity in general is questionable.
    McSleazUngood
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I don't understand this.

• rkiprkip Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Roblox has 100s if not 1000s of FREE games to pick from. Name a genre, fps, rpg, etc, there's several to choose. However, only a few dozen are the money makers aka compells kids into asking for Robux. Basically micro transactions that unlock QoL improvements for whatever gaming addicts jones for.

While the majority might be blocky crap graphics, a few are quite slick and well rendered. Some even tout educational values.

YMMV
    McSleazUngoodScot
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    They filed for IPO which means they are making a lot of money, it costs a lot of money to file for IPO.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Here I am.. buying yet another box of lego's as a grown ass adult, of which I am spending near to 50 bucks for, and knowing that lego's have remained one of the most popular children's toys for the last 70 some odd years, and ya all are wondering why people like virtual lego's?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Good look mmorpg.com!
    $$$
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    rkip said:
    Roblox has 100s if not 1000s of FREE games to pick from. Name a genre, fps, rpg, etc, there's several to choose. However, only a few dozen are the money makers aka compells kids into asking for Robux. Basically micro transactions that unlock QoL improvements for whatever gaming addicts jones for.

While the majority might be blocky crap graphics, a few are quite slick and well rendered. Some even tout educational values.

YMMV
    I assume then that we will have to have a series of Roblox games based around big IP's like SW and Marvel. Lego all over again. Whoopee! ;)
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    remsleep said:
    Ungood said:
    Here I am.. buying yet another box of lego's as a grown ass adult, of which I am spending near to 50 bucks for, and knowing that lego's have remained one of the most popular children's toys for the last 70 some odd years, and ya all are wondering why people like virtual lego's?

You obviously haven't played any robolox games - there's no virtual legos there, you don't build anything like you do with legos - you play shitty games built by people who want to exploit kids getting parents credit cards.

Robolox is not Minecraft.

My kid has played Roblox since it came out , he has fun with it , and i will buy him something on there ..

when his chores are getting done

School work is getting done

And hes watching his manners ..

Any parent that is letting this happen " exploit kids getting parents credit cards."

as you put it

Are not doing there job as a parent..

Are low hanging fruit ...

Or just plain stupid ...

Its no fault of Roblox or any content maker of the app ..

Thin the Herd ..

bcbullyrkip
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2020
    yes really...........

Parents need to be monitoring this stuff ,

If a parent is not monitoring the childs activity .. they are failing

If an adult is not monitoring there CC activity .. they are failing

If an adult sets up any CC in any App that a child will be using that has automatic purchase .. they are failing ..

and stupid ..

Thin the Herd

ill add , this is nothing new , the entire world is predatory schemes set up to target kids ,  to get parents to spend , been that way forever and is not going to change ..

[Deleted User]
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    remsleep said:
    Ungood said:

You obviously haven't played any robolox games - there's no virtual legos there, you don't build anything like you do with legos - you play shitty games built by people who want to exploit kids getting parents credit cards.

Eh? It looks lego-y as fuck, it even has the little top dots and everything.

So it's not a Minecraft clone that allows you to build your own games and stuff?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

remsleep said:
    Ungood said:
    remsleep said:
    Ungood said:

Eh? It looks lego-y as fuck, it even has the little top dots and everything.

So it's not a Minecraft clone that allows you to build your own games and stuff?

Nope, it is not.

Many games are clicker games where you just left click to gain strength 

Like this one

Then you have your parkuor games... just jumping over obstacles.

Lots of dumb arena PvP games 

Etc....

Its basically a bunch of supet low quality mini games that have p2w cash shop aimed at young children.

Roblox is a platform for low quality games where you can setup your own cash shop for your crap game - and Roblox takes a cut of the sales for your shitty clicker game.

Everything about roblox is awful - but go see for yourself 
    There is always a new way to spin an abusive cash shop model, having a multiple gaming platform where designers set up their own cash shop is the latest one I have heard of. There is no end to this, there is always a new way to create a bad revenue model.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    There some really terrible games on it. I never knew about this and I was quite surprised by the level of stupid.
    Scot