Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Capcom Hack: Up to 350,000 People's Information Stolen

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
edited November 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Well it seemed important to me, change that data if you had an account with them. I try to give out as few details as possible on the internet, for example I think it was Steam that asked for a phone number on a transaction or maybe buying games elsewhere. You never need to put in your phone number. in fact I question adding a mobile to an email is a security improvement, you could just use another email. Save passwords on paper not digitally, that also gives you a list of all the online companies you have accounts with.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54958782 
[Deleted User]

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    i missed old days when you just buy a game disk and things are done .
    Theocritus
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I disagree because thanks to my mobile authenticator on Steam when my account got stolen I got it back because without the authenticator the thieves had changed the email on the account but since the account got locked when I entered my password and it was rejected the authenticator prevented them from going any further.
    Scotstrawhat0981[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    cheyane said:
    I disagree because thanks to my mobile authenticator on Steam when my account got stolen I got it back because without the authenticator the thieves had changed the email on the account but since the account got locked when I entered my password and it was rejected the authenticator prevented them from going any further.
    Is not another email just as good a way of stopping someone from hacking your account? Not saying we don't need the extra security, but it seems counter intuitive to require even more personnel details from you to be secure.
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:
    Is not another email just as good a way of stopping someone from hacking your account? Not saying we don't need the extra security, but it seems counter intuitive to require even more personnel details from you to be secure.
    I think the reason is the authenticator shows immediately that your account has been compromised. It will not show the number immediately whereas an email will require you to log in and read messages. Then there is the problem of them having gained access and changed one email address, what is to prevent them from changing the second email. The authenticator failure locks the account immediately giving them no further access whereas the other would hinge on you checking your email.

Authenticator has to be removed before it can no longer be used. Plus only you know the back up codes. Email can be changed by anyone who has access to your account. I am probably explaining this badly but the authenticator connected to your phone is a safer way to protect your Steam account in my opinion.
    Chamber of Chains
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Wonderful. Online everything is so awesome right!
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    iixviiiix said:
    i missed old days when you just buy a game disk and things are done .
    I'm sort of with you. It was certainly simpler.

Still, I recall the time when I wanted to buy a particular game and I couldn't find it anywhere. I then, as a lark, looked for it on Steam (I hadn't used Steam at this point) and lo and behold it was there.

Minutes later it was downloading.

I guess it's a tradeoff. People just have to be smart and change their passwords often. Maybe even use a "gaming e-mail" over your personal one.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]iixviiiix
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited November 2020
    Scot said:
    I try to give out as few details as possible on the internet, for example I think it was Steam that asked for a phone number on a transaction or maybe buying games elsewhere. You never need to put in your phone number. in fact I question adding a mobile to an email is a security improvement, you could just use another email.
    I disagree. Putting in your real phone number allows the business to verify your identity by sending you a text message - for example with Steam you can use this method to recover your account if it gets hacked. It's a good additional security and you should use it when it's available.

My password manager is a huge notebook . :D
    Scotxpsynciixviiiix
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    cheyane said:
    My password manager is a huge notebook . :D
    It is not like we actually trust the digital world right? :)

I will look into mobile verification, I may be being too much like a dinosaur there.