Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

9 former Soulbound Studios employees (CoE) join/form Adept Games

13»

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Xodic said:
    setsailforfail

Creative Commons mention: http://extravectors.com
    Italian Chef Kiss  Know Your Meme
    UngoodAlBQuirky

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SQiRLSQiRL Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited December 2020
    Lets not forget the company Snipe worked for (illfonic) not only failed hard at Revival,  they were also the company who created the the first public disaster of Star Citizen.  Roberts Contracted snipes studio to impliment FPS Combat. Years of dev time were scrapped because of the same people involved in the Revival development.  Revival started once they lost the Star Citizen  work.
    Slapshot1188cheyaneIselinUngoodKyleranAlBQuirkyGdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    SQiRL said:
    Lets not forget the company Snipe worked for (illfonic) not only failed hard at Revival,  they were also the company who created the the first public disaster of Star Citizen.  Roberts Contracted snipes studio to impliment FPS Combat. Years of dev time were scrapped because of the same people involved in the Revival development.  Revival started once they lost the Star Citizen  work.
    Welcome to the forums! :)
    AlBQuirky
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Xodic said:
    setsailforfail

Creative Commons mention: http://extravectors.com
    Seems prophetic as their website is apparently defunct and Walsh now claims that Adam Sniperhunter Maxwell is back working on his Elyria disaster.
    Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    What's funny is right after the shutdown last year Snipehunter shared some fairly critical comments about Jeremy and what went down on Discord but unfortunately that's long since been off line or removed.
    Slapshot1188Ungood[Deleted User]GdemamiScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It gets me every time. 

As a 15 year old kid I got into MUDs and remember staying up 36 hours mudding once. I also got into OLC (the online creation toolkit) and built some zones in some MUDs. Mainly highly modified CircleMUD. I also made my own MUD and learned to code C++ as a teen which would later help me in college.

I could compile some stock CircleMUD and have something up in a day. It would take one competent programmer 3 months to make a full on MUD. I say this because I made a MUD complete with custom areas, classes, races etc.

Not only did they think making a MUD was a good idea and would tie into the MMORPG, which is utter nonsense since all a MUD can do mainly is text, they couldn't even make one.

If you are interested in coding and learning how to make games a MUD is a great place to start really getting your feet wet after pong and tetris.

Fun fact if you ever here someone refer to creatures as mobs.

Etymology. The term "mobile object" was used by Richard Bartle for objects that were self-mobile in MUD1. Later Source code in DikuMUD used the term "mobile" to refer to a generic NPC, shortened further to "mob" in identifiers.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiScot

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Just created to get government pandemic handouts just my unsourced neutral third party opinion
    GdemamiScotUngood

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2021
    Kyleran said:
    What's funny is right after the shutdown last year Snipehunter shared some fairly critical comments about Jeremy and what went down on Discord but unfortunately that's long since been off line or removed.
    Well cult members who manage to escape are sometimes convinced to come back to the fold.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2021

There are MANY layers because the success of  a con job  relies on many people including very naive shallow minded gamers who will buy anything and need very little reason to buy it and hype it.I read a LOT when i draw up my conclusions,they are not based on just my opinion but based off of reading many reviews and articles on games.

I believe using THIS example that investors like Super.com are well aware the products will be very weak at best but don't care,they are simply in this to earn a profit while assuming literally no responsibility at all.
    A supposed claim of 5 million invested...says WHO?A nice round number to toss around though.

Marketing firms,their job is to BS and con YOU the gamer into supporting their partnered games.
    Streamers,YouTubers all making money off these games so of course they are going to help promote them.

One thing WE cannot do is follow the paper trail because we only see what they want us to see,their success stories.This is also why we see so very often the mention of NUMBERS,LOOK over here we made 20 million,50 million ,100 subscribers,20 million accounts,50 million registered users,we see this a LOT because BS news seems to work on the dumbass gamers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Damn.  These people make more money promising to code things than I ever did coding for real.  I should have transitioned into scamming rather than technical writing.
    Mendel
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    For people that dont know what OP is talking about
    https://mmos.com/news/chronicles-of-elyria-canceled-studio-fires-all-staff

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    So whats the solution to this growing problem. Developers need way more money than Crowdfunding can get, and the big publishers arent willing to venture outside the box. SO whats the solution?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    So whats the solution to this growing problem. Developers need way more money than Crowdfunding can get, and the big publishers arent willing to venture outside the box. SO whats the solution?
    What's the problem that needs solving, again?
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    No one with money is making a game "I" want to play?
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2021
    Kyleran said:
    No one with money is making a game "I" want to play?
    With the thousands of released playable games, and hundreds more added every year, there should come a point where "I" has a moment of clarity and realizes where the real problem is.

:)
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited April 2021
    If they post pre-alpha gameplay videos, made with off the shelf Unreal engine and assets... sign me up for the $1000 donor's package - ASAP.  ;)

[Deleted User]