Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red's Read on Conan Exiles Crafting And Survival | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageRed's Read on Conan Exiles Crafting And Survival | MMORPG.com

Conan Exiles has had its crafting tree updated. Red Thomas logs in to explore how the game has changed and whether or not this is something that players should be excited about. Have you really been itching to get your crafting/survival on? Red's thoughts might help guide your next steps.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited November 2020
    CE lost its magic system? That's one of the reasons why I find it hard to understand why people have such interest in games before launch. You just don't know what the game will look until it launches. Same for changes in NW, only when it launches will you know what the gameplay is going to be like. I should point out I know nothing about the old CE magic system, but excessive magic would be counter to lore in the world of the Hyborian Age.

I do hear good things about CE, of the top of my head its about the only survival game I hear good things about. We do have some die hard FO76 fans on the site though.

Not sure about this shared family idea, open to abuse and in the end it is the consumer who pays. If companies think this is impacting their profits, up goes the cost for the next DLC.
  • CondarCondar Member UncommonPosts: 8
    "I’m looking forward to playing the new updates with my niece and nephew. I was planning to buy them each a copy of the game anyway, but I’m a little irked at feeling like a lot of people will be tricked into doing the same"

I'm confused - did something change with family sharing? My understanding is you've never been able to play the same game you're sharing with someone else at the same time.
    mklinicRed_Thomas
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Scot said:
    CE lost its magic system? That's one of the reasons why I find it hard to understand why people have such interest in games before launch. You just don't know what the game will look until it launches. Same for changes in NW, only when it launches will you know what the gameplay is going to be like. I should point out I know nothing about the old CE magic system, but excessive magic would be counter to lore in the world of the Hyborian Age.

I do hear good things about CE, of the top of my head its about the only survival game I hear good things about. We do have some die hard FO76 fans on the site though.

Not sure about this shared family idea, open to abuse and in the end it is the consumer who pays. If companies think this is impacting their profits, up goes the cost for the next DLC.
    I believe they said no more magic system. Which is sort of fine. I don't exactly remember how it was done in the few books I read but I suspect there weren't lightning bolts and fireballs.

Just like Runekeeper in Lord of the Rings Online sort of ruined the setting.

I really like Conan Exiles but I just use my own private server and build/explore.

Scot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited November 2020
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:

I believe they said no more magic system. Which is sort of fine. I don't exactly remember how it was done in the few books I read but I suspect there weren't lightning bolts and fireballs.

Just like Runekeeper in Lord of the Rings Online sort of ruined the setting.

I really like Conan Exiles but I just use my own private server and build/explore.
    Well I would not use a word like ruined, but the RK really marked the games departure from keeping classes as close to the lore as possible. The old Lore-Keeper was apt in name and seemed to me to bring all the magic to the game that was needed.

You could find a sorcerer in Conan that could dominate a mind or summon creatures, but those guys were arch-priests, the head of their temple and the like, there just are not that many of them around. It is the same issue as Rune-Keepers, you have a few mages among the Elves, few have that sort of power and there are not that many of them around. Its like having hundreds of Elrond's and Galadriel's on the loose.

The theme of corruption is common to Tolkein's LotR and Howard's Conan, I mention that as I have just been told it features in CE. That's strong adherence to lore and lore that game and film tries to avoid as they like the idea of players and actors using flashy powers all the time.
    Sovrath
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666

Scot said:

Yeah, it's tied to corruption. Not sure if you've played, but you lose health and stamina as you gain corruption. The magic system as originally pitched would use that corruption to power spells. It was still going to be low-fantasy because it mostly did the sort of things that eventually got rolled into the potion system, I think.

I liked it, because I really felt it was innovative and interesting. I didn't really think it'd be very GOOD as far as a gameplay mechanic, but I did like the idea as a fan of the IP. A lot of the magic that exists in Conan is dark and corruptive. It's more insidious than what you see in high fantasy, I think.

About the time they dropped it, they announced that they'd added climbing. There's still a nasty comment on Steam from me to the devs complaining about them dropping magic for climbing. lol

But w/r to EA, survival games are a world away from RPGs on that front. Each new game is a new game. You're not playing to uncover the story, though there's a little of that there in these games, but more for the story that emerges through player interaction. The "game" is really just an aggregate set of rules and it's the players that generate the content, not the devs. For a really good talk through this, Leonard French just did a video talking about streaming verses copyright and he went right down this road to setup his answer. A very worthy video to watch either way.
    Scot
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666

Condar said:

"I’m looking forward to playing the new updates with my niece and nephew. I was planning to buy them each a copy of the game anyway, but I’m a little irked at feeling like a lot of people will be tricked into doing the same"

I'm confused - did something change with family sharing? My understanding is you've never been able to play the same game you're sharing with someone else at the same time.

That might be true. I've never tried it. Like I said, I didn't even know it existed until a few months ago. Even then, I'd probably buy the game anyway because I want to support projects I like.

Though, it'd still probably apply. I could see a lot of folks sharing accounts with their kids and letting them play while the adults were working or whatever. This is going to make that harder.

In reality, it probably hurts the losers trying to abuse the system more than folks legitimately using it. I just dislike that it feels like they've made everyone's decision for them, rather than implementing a tool that server owners could elect to use if they wanted.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Scot said:
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:

You could find a sorcerer in Conan that could dominate a mind or summon creatures, but those guys were arch-priests, the head of their temple and the like, there just are not that many of them around. 

Yes, mostly correct. In REH Conan cannon, real magic was rare and highly feared.  REH was a horror writer too, so he built great suspense in his stories by not overusing it.

Scot
    edited November 2020
    Scot said:
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:

You could find a sorcerer in Conan that could dominate a mind or summon creatures, but those guys were arch-priests, the head of their temple and the like, there just are not that many of them around. 

Yes, mostly correct. In REH Conan cannon, real magic was rare and highly feared.  REH was a horror writer too, so he built great suspense in his stories by not overusing it.

He was a friend of Lovecraft, so the "borrowing" of ideas was fine by me.