Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiplayer Gaming?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
edited November 2020 in General Gaming
Reading through  the Cyber Punk thread, I got to thinking about multiplayer gaming. With the exceptions of MMOs, I just don't play MP games. How about you?

Most of my Steam library is board games. I have yet to play a game with anyone else. I play old (2010) Madden NFL games on my old XBox 360. Never played a mp match. I recall playing NES and SNES with my ex and son and enjoying the games. I guess I'm just a social wallflower :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

MendelUngood

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    AlBQuirky said:
    Reading through  the Cyber Punk thread, I got to thinking about multiplayer gaming. With the exceptions of MMOs, I just don't play MP games. How about you?

Most of my Steam library is board games. I have yet to play a game with anyone else. I play old (2010) Madden NFL games on my old XBox 360. Never played a mp match. I recall playing NES and SNES with my ex and son and enjoying the games. I guess I'm just a social wallflower :)

Same boat, different oar.  A large portion of my multiplayer gaming comes exclusively from MMORPGs, particularly PvE MMORPGs.  All other non-cooperative multiplayer games are just too prone to cheats and tricks that make the game (as designed) less fun for me.

AlBQuirkyUngood

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I love playing Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 with a friend. But otherwise, with the exception of mmorpg's, I don't play multip player games/modes.

I don't really have the patience to deal with "bad players," however that might manifest and would prefer to actually have a good gaming experience.

since most of my friends don't play video games or if they do they don't play the games I enjoy, it's easier to just play games solo and really enjoy them.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Sovrath said:
    I love playing Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 with a friend. But otherwise, with the exception of mmorpg's, I don't play multip player games/modes.

I don't really have the patience to deal with "bad players," however that might manifest and would prefer to actually have a good gaming experience.

since most of my friends don't play video games or if they do they don't play the games I enjoy, it's easier to just play games solo and really enjoy them.
    Most of my friends are the same, either game playing or simply time to play. I did enjoy playing Doom and later on, Dungeon Siege with one of my friends way back when. However, I find seeking others to play with online anxiety filled and daunting. I just don't pursue that route :)
    UngoodSovrath

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I am the opposite. I have a problem where I buy every major single player release, tons of indie games, and end up just playing multiplayer games all the time instead. I love chasing ranks in multiplayer shooters like CS:GO and Valorant. I would say I spend 99% of my time gaming playing multiplayer games of some form. I really want to find a way to make myself play single player games but I always end up getting that itch to go back to multiplayer every time I boot one up. 
    [Deleted User]UngoodAsheramAlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I play both types but almost all of my multiplayer gaming happens in MMOs.

The only non-MMO multiplayer game I play on a regular basis is Diablo 3  and about the only group activity I do in that one is bounties for mats because grinding those solo is a PITA.

AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I play single player games
    I play couch co-op games
    I play MMOs

I play Dawn of War 2: Last Stand (this is really the exception to my rule!)

That's it. I really don't enjoy normal online multiplayer, though i used to when i was younger. There are a couple of reasons for this.

The first is inconsistency. When you're playing with random people, you never know what sort of experience you're gonna get, but it's mostly a bad one. whether it's newbies slowing me down, veterans kicking my ass, or trolls just being arseholes, there are a lot of reasons why normal multiplayer can be a problem. I'd rather have a consistent single player experience.

The second is lack of continuity. When playing an MMO with a traditional server setup, you meet the same people over and over, plus you have the proper tools (chat / voip) for communication. So, yeh, you might meet some trolls, but then you can avoid them in the future. You might meet some newbies, but you can help them out. You might meet some vets, and they can help you out. Over time these random people you meet end up forming a community, so it's worth putting in the effort to get to know them. That just isn't the case with normal multiplayer games.

I think if I had more friends that were into online gaming then I'd probably do more of it. Games like The Division and other small scale multiplayer really lend themselves to playing with existing friends, in fact that's how you get the best experience out of the game. But playing with randoms sucks, and the games are not setup in such a way to help turn those randoms into friends.

Also, if I still enjoyed FPS's, I think I'd do a lot more online multiplayer as they're such simple games that the other players can't really mess it up much. I certainly used to play these a lot when I was younger, I just cant get into them anymore.
    [Deleted User]UngoodAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Since I have been blessed, or maybe cursed, depending on how you look at it, to have relatives and close friends that I have been playing with for the last 30ish so years, team games are king in my library.

From the early LAN games, to AOL group games, to MMO's. MOBA's BR's and.. not sure what it is.. but Among Us is now the craze among my static.. Multi-player is where it is at for me.

I've played games like Darkest Dungeon, and I admit, I enjoyed them. But they were never my go-to games, they were filler games for when I could not get with my static. 

I mean we grew up, we spend nights taking care of our kids as opposed to playing, or we are in the hospital dealing with family emergencies.. or we are in the hospital dealing with our own stupidity.. well anyway.. yah.. game time gets interrupted, so in those times.. Single Player games can be fun.. but overall.. Nothing beats those moments with friends just playing and a game and having fun together.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    I almost exclusively play Multiplayer.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018