Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Punishes Multiboxers and Genshin Impact Makes Big Bucks | MMORPG's Quick 5 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageBlizzard Punishes Multiboxers and Genshin Impact Makes Big Bucks | MMORPG's Quick 5 | MMORPG.com

It's been a whirlwind of a week on so many different fronts. In times like these, we all need at least 5 minutes to decompress and find out what's happening in the world of gaming. Now is that time. Here is this week's Quick 5.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    xD_Gaming said:
    Why would they punish people who multi-box in a subscription based game ?
    They aren't punishing all multiboxers. Just ones using a program / addon to help input on each box. Because at that point they aren't actively playing all the characters and using programs to help. 
    [Deleted User]Scot
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am not a fan of Blizzard at all,i despise how they do business but the title is misleading.

Blizzard is doing the RIGHT thing,stopping 3rd party software from allowing players to automate multiboxing.
    I have no care what so ever if you want to play 150 characters so long it is done by YOU and not software or illegal scripts.

I had my way I wouldn't allow ANY 3rd party tool at all,NONE.Learn your dam character,if you play 50 levels and have yet to figure out the hate meter on your own,you should never play a mmorpg ever again.LEARN the world instead of just looking at markers on a map that YOU never even put there.

if there were some tool the majority feel is needed and the developer agrees then the developer should be the one releasing the tool/addon.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RedFireCERedFireCE Member UncommonPosts: 49
    about Genshin Impact...
    What did you expect with all these fake reviews, and sponsored "news" without sponsored TAG?
    And all that shit has been repeated here several times.
    Hundreds of thousands of dollars in fake reviews and sponsored "news".

The most predatory gacha of 2020 will be mentioned as a game in which monetization is not predatory in the review presented by this site.

And the worst part is that even whales who spend 5,000 dollars in gachas per month have already decided on what is the most predatory gacha on the market today and guess what.
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Boycott. I've done it years ago. Feels better than mi dless purchasing a'd promoting garbo. The only reason they don't want you to multibox is same as vanilla private servers. They don't like people making their stale low effort garbage better.
    or intuitive.
    the multibox helps cut time on boring leveling.
    they know this.
    they sell packs of new max chars fifty bucks and up. A big carrot that admits "yes you want to but it, because who wants to be stupid enough to repeat meaningless tasks and waste your life precious time"?
    Find a smart short cut and boom. Ban'ed. Pay up or get out. And what you get is f2p out dated uninspired worn out repetitive content.
    unfilteredJW
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited November 2020
    "While many players and critics still consider the Gatcha monetarization system predatory, to say the least."

Don't worry, just like P2W cash shops, just like loot boxes that we realised were predatory, they become normalised. You will see posters on this site defending them, some who I think used to speak out now take an apologist stance instated.

How many years before we see players and staff articles defending Gatcha on here? I give it about five years that's all.
    QSatuanemophoenixfire2
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Rhoklaw said:
    Wow, 2 threads with the same incorrect and / or misleading title. Site doesn't know the difference between an MMO and a online lobby shooter and now they are referring to botting as multiboxing.
    Sounds like you don't know the difference between input broadcasting software as a whole and botting. 

Blizzard said they are getting rid of input broadcasting software, even for macroing, primarily because of multiboxing. 

Straight up Blizzard stated one big part of the use of these tools is for multiboxing. 

"We will soon begin issuing warnings to all players who are detected using input broadcasting software to mirror commands to multiple accounts at the same time (often used for multi-boxing)"

While "mult-boxing" is technically still allowed, the software everyone utilizes to run it, by mirroring the keystrokes, is an actionable offense.. so you do the math.

Unless you have 4 hands and two heads, good luck.
    cheyaneIselin[Deleted User]

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Im actually jacking in these game with cheat engine. Didnt spend a cent.
    exile01 said:
    Im actually jacking in these game with cheat engine. Didnt spend a cent.
    Eh, most of the games listed have the most important resources listed server side, so... whether or not you're spending money doesn't equate to earning anything of any usefulness. 
    [Deleted User]

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited November 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I have never run into any multiboxers in any MMO I've ever played that were not perfectly synchronized and typically playing all the same class.

If they're doing this with hardware only I can't even imagine how dexterous their fingers, toes and other body parts must be, /s

IMO HW-only multiboxing is a myth.

If anyone has seen a video demonstration of HW-only multiboxing in 2020 using no macros please link it - I'd love to see it.
    [Deleted User]Sandmanjw
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Iselin said:
    I have never run into any multiboxers in any MMO I've ever played that were not perfectly synchronized and typically playing all the same class.

If they're doing this with hardware only I can't even imagine how dexterous their fingers, toes and other body parts must be, /s

If anyone has seen a video demonstration of HW-only multiboxing in 2020 using no macros please link it - I'd love to see it.
    What do you mean no macros? 
    There are many different methods of software multiboxing. The simplest one everyone thinks of is the "key broadcast" system where the key you press in one client is broadcast to the other clients in your set-up whether running in one or several computers.

But that's not the only method. It can also be done with macros running in each secondary client that focus targets through the main client's character to attack what it attacks and also detect and duplicate whatever the main character does without any key broadcasting required.

Let me ask you something... what do you mean by HW only multiboxing? Single regular keyboard and mouse with manual-only client switching and imputing, issuing movement and action commands via mouse and KB one client at time while that client window has focus with no window focus cycling macros? Or multiple machines each running their own client and each with its own mouse and KB and the player manually switching from one KB and mouse to the next?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

What do you mean no macros? 
    There are many different methods of software multiboxing. The simplest one everyone thinks of is the "key broadcast" system where the key you press in one client is broadcast to the other clients in your set-up whether running in one or several computers.

But that's not the only method. It can also be done with macros running in each secondary client that focus targets through the main client's character to attack what it attacks and also detect and duplicate whatever the main character does without any key broadcasting required.

Let me ask you something... what do you mean by HW only multiboxing? Single regular keyboard and mouse with manual-only client switching and imputing, issuing movement and action commands via mouse and KB one client at time while that client window has focus with no window focus cycling macros? Or multiple machines each running their own client and each with its own mouse and KB and the player manually switching from one KB and mouse to the next?

Two machines. Two clients. One IP 

Many MMOs have allowed this. We allowed this on Spellborn. 

I think this is just a simple manner of banning software that allows botting used for multiboxing. 
    It is a long time coming in my opinion. 

I think that you must know that the legit two machines with totally separate input is the least used type of multiboxing by gamers in 2020. It's so rare IMO that I don't even think of that when I think of multiboxing.

Pressing "R" in one client and having multiple clients echo that "R" is the easiest and cheapest way to multibox. And doing that either with off the shelf software, open source free stuff or your own simple or complex macros is the way most multiboxers do it these days. And IMO, that is a cheat and should be banned.

The reason I asked about HW is because I remember seeing a picture about 15 years ago, long before software multiboxing solutions were everywhere, of someone with a Rube Goldberg home made contraption linking the 1-0 keys of 3 different KBs. That was also cheating :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Wow, 2 threads with the same incorrect and / or misleading title. Site doesn't know the difference between an MMO and a online lobby shooter and now they are referring to botting as multiboxing.
    Sounds like you don't know the difference between input broadcasting software as a whole and botting. 

Blizzard said they are getting rid of input broadcasting software, even for macroing, primarily because of multiboxing. 

Straight up Blizzard stated one big part of the use of these tools is for multiboxing. 

"We will soon begin issuing warnings to all players who are detected using input broadcasting software to mirror commands to multiple accounts at the same time (often used for multi-boxing)"

While "mult-boxing" is technically still allowed, the software everyone utilizes to run it, by mirroring the keystrokes, is an actionable offense.. so you do the math.

Unless you have 4 hands and two heads, good luck.
    Multiboxing is playing multiple accounts WITHOUT the use of 3rd party software, period. Educate yourself. If a player is using software of any kind to mimic keystrokes or mouse movement, that is not multiboxing, it's botting.
    Quick education on this one, input broadcasting =/= botting.  Botting generally refers to systems playing without the need of input from a player at all. 

Input broadcasting DOES NOT inherently mean botting. It can mean anything from a macro, to a fully controlled artificial intelligence character. 

Multiboxing can be used with software that mimics the player characters movements to another client. That isn't botting, primarily because the other character is still being remotely controlled by the player. 

Botting, a player is not necessary to perform actions. 

Multiboxing (without AI) uses input broadcasting software that still requires human interaction. 

I don't know how to make this more clear for you. 

Multiboxing without software to mimic keystrokes, or even a hardware aparatus, such as a hardware keyboard with a programmable macro system, is still an option, but not an option most people would even bother pursuing. 

Blizzard is banning all input broadcasting software. So whether you're using macros, or full in software suites designed to broadcast all keystrokes, they say it's a "no no". 

bcbully

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

RedFireCE said:

about Genshin Impact...

What did you expect with all these fake reviews, and sponsored "news" without sponsored TAG?

The most predatory gacha of 2020 will be mentioned as a game in which monetization is not predatory in the review presented by this site.

And the worst part is that even whales who spend 5,000 dollars in gachas per month have already decided on what is the most predatory gacha on the market today and guess what.

Well you are not wrong there, I saw a "christian" streamer managed to turn his few hundred thousands subscriber into gambling addicts lol. and get sponsored by mihoyo too. well we live in a WTF world.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    RedFireCE said:
    about Genshin Impact...

Genshin impact is popular because it is an awesome game. I have only seen a couple of articles on this site about Genshin, and both were critical of the monetization model. 

unfilteredJWScot
    edited November 2020
    YashaX said:
    RedFireCE said:
    about Genshin Impact...

Genshin impact is popular because it is an awesome game. I have only seen a couple of articles on this site about Genshin, and both were critical of the monetization model. 
    They were critical of the model, I am one of the most vocal posters here about the danger to gaming GI presents. But I don't reach for conspiracy theories at that drop of a hat, you have zero evidence, why do that?
    YashaX
  • RedFireCERedFireCE Member UncommonPosts: 49

Scot said:

YashaX said:

RedFireCE said:

about Genshin Impact...

They were critical of the model, I am one of the most vocal posters here about the danger to gaming GI presents. But I don't reach for conspiracy theories at that drop of a hat, you have zero evidence, why do that?

I'm just a normal person, I haven't had an MMO site for over 15 years, but I still know the difference between any game and an Asian GACHA designed just to take money from addicted people.
    And in less than a month, several news about GI just to say that "GI is making a big money".
    There is only one place where the revenue made by GACHAs is not considered and seen as a cancer for the gaming industry and it is on specialized GACHA websites.

You say that the monetization model was criticized, but what would be the official review of this site one of the PROs (something in favor of the game) is that "monetization is not predatory". How the hell is that?

Genshin Impact is a GACHA, it is not an RPG or MMO it is a GACHA.
    250 million dollars raised were not from happy players who acquired the copy of the game, they are from people who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars equivalent and that in certain countries it is possible to buy a house with such money.
    There are 250 million dollars from people really frustrated that no matter how much they have spent now, even if it is in the 50 thousand dollar range, these people will have to spend a few thousand more dollars because the power creep is real in GACHA, real and extremely fast.

I have no evidence such as checks or photos with the owners of the site receiving money for this, but as a site that has been talking about MMO for over 15 years, it becomes a disseminator of GACHA.

Is GI an open and vast world? It's just technology, now the industry knows how to produce GACHA games in the open world, does that make them MMOs? Does that make them RPGs?
    Hell no!
    It's a GACHA, all income from games like that comes from summoning and frustration of players and the endless and fast power creep.

And for two weeks this site became a GACHA showcase saying that GI is rock based only on the monthly revenue.
    Roberts Space Industries looks like a saint compared to miHoYo and GACHAs games.

Looking for evidence? 15 years of writing and debating MMOs, is it enough to know that GI is not an RPG or an MMO?

It doesn't matter if you think this is just conspiracy theory.
    That is what it is.
    maskedweaselYashaX
    RedFireCE said:

Scot said:

YashaX said:

RedFireCE said:

about Genshin Impact...

250 million dollars raised were not from happy players who acquired the copy of the game, they are from people who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars equivalent and that in certain countries it is possible to buy a house with such money.

I have no evidence such as checks or photos with the owners of the site receiving money for this, but as a site that has been talking about MMO for over 15 years, it becomes a disseminator of GACHA.

Is GI an open and vast world? It's just technology, now the industry knows how to produce GACHA games in the open world, does that make them MMOs? Does that make them RPGs?
    Hell no!
    It's a GACHA, all income from games like that comes from summoning and frustration of players and the endless and fast power creep.

And for two weeks this site became a GACHA showcase saying that GI is rock based only on the monthly revenue.
    Roberts Space Industries looks like a saint compared to miHoYo and GACHAs games.

Looking for evidence? 15 years of writing and debating MMOs, is it enough to know that GI is not an RPG or an MMO?

That is what it is.
    Dude, for someone that has been "writing and debating MMOs for 15 years" you sure don't understand some of the simplest things about how sites like this work, news, and gaming in general. 

Firstly just because something has a gacha monetization system, DOES NOT invalidate it from being any other type of game. 

It's like saying that a subscription game can't be an MMO, RPG, Action game. it can be all of those things. Categorizing a game by only one aspect is ridiculous. 

Does it have an open world? Yup. Is it and Action RPG? Yup. Does it use gacha for characters? Yup.  It's all those things, whether you like it or not. 

Then you say that because the news of how much money a popular ACTION RPG made hit this site, and despite the news articles pointing out how the monetization system is perceptualized, that somehow it's "bought and paid for".  

If this is your understanding of how sites work, after 15 years of writing and debating about MMO's then maybe another 15 years is needed. Because news is just that... news. 

And reviews are just reviews from ONE PERSON'S perspective. While this site had someone review the game, and they scored it fairly high, if you followed the thread that ONE PERSON stated in the thread that the editor challenged the review score, due specifically to the monetization of the game. But the reviewer *stood by his score* and that's how reviews work. 

You go with what the reviewer scores it. It doesn't mean anything was "bought and paid for" because one person scored it pretty high. 

And Genshin Impact does play extremely well up until around level 30 when progress slows substantially, and it can take a couple weeks or sometimes longer to get to post 30 content. 

Goes to show you, how sometimes reviews can be skewed because most companies have early games that are pretty stellar but end games that are trash fires. Genshins is full of resin caps and RNG, Marvel's Avengers is full of nothing but tumbleweeds. Thems the breaks.
    Scot[Deleted User]YashaX

RedFireCE said:

Scot said:

YashaX said:

RedFireCE said:

about Genshin Impact...

I'm just a normal person, I haven't had an MMO site for over 15 years, but I still know the difference between any game and an Asian GACHA designed just to take money from addicted people.
    And in less than a month, several news about GI just to say that "GI is making a big money".
    There is only one place where the revenue made by GACHAs is not considered and seen as a cancer for the gaming industry and it is on specialized GACHA websites.

You say that the monetization model was criticized, but what would be the official review of this site one of the PROs (something in favor of the game) is that "monetization is not predatory". How the hell is that?

There are 250 million dollars from people really frustrated that no matter how much they have spent now, even if it is in the 50 thousand dollar range, these people will have to spend a few thousand more dollars because the power creep is real in GACHA, real and extremely fast.

Hell no!

That is what it is.
    I must admit I did not see the comment "purchases are not predatory" and looking back over it the review was far too easy going on the monetarization. I was thinking of the "3 things GI Needs" article.

But it is a MMO etc, it is not just a revenue system. That does not change the fact I think it is a dangerous portent of things to come in gaming.

So I think MMORPG.com has been blinkered here, yes it is primarily down to the writer but the buck stops at the editors. That does not mean people are taking money for this, there as you say you have no evidence. I often have arguments on here about the negative impact of revenue models, the fact a writer does not see how bad Gatcha is does not come as a surprise.
    maskedweaselYashaX
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    I've been playing Genshin and I can say this. You guys are batshit.

Like there is schilling and then there is seriously schilling.

The entire game is a exploitation of fear of missing out and need.

I found this out around 29 or so. It took like a day for it to become meaningless gacha.

Maybe I'm missing something but yeah from the early point you guys were schilling the game would be a ton of fun for someone looking for a breath of the wild clone on their phone.

I just think it's wise to be a bit objective on the gacha random crates in the western market.
    You can't take your support back just like you can't give them money back which you wouldn't because lets face it .....I wouldn't either. I got rent too I get it.
    [Deleted User]
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Astropuyo said:

I found this out around 29 or so. It took like a day for it to become meaningless gacha.

Maybe I'm missing something but yeah from the early point you guys were schilling the game would be a ton of fun for someone looking for a breath of the wild clone on their phone.

I just think it's wise to be a bit objective on the gacha random crates in the western market.
    You can't take your support back just like you can't give them money back which you wouldn't because lets face it .....I wouldn't either. I got rent too I get it.
    I played it for a couple of weeks and it was fun the whole time. I didn't spend a dime and felt no inclination to. Obviously the gatcha is bad, but the game itself is pretty sweet.
    Scot
    YashaX said:
    Astropuyo said:

I played it for a couple of weeks and it was fun the whole time. I didn't spend a dime and felt no inclination to. Obviously the gatcha is bad, but the game itself is pretty sweet.
    Gambling addictions are not a problem for everyone, most can control themselves. Gaming is now ubiquitous, are there any teens who do not game? My concern is that with teens and pre-teens playing these games we are going to become more of a gambling society. And as we know starting gambling early makes you more likely to have a gambling addiction, we will get more teens/adults with a gambling addiction.

This was on the cards with all the gambling on gaming we already have, Gatcha just has an even worse system. 
    YashaX