Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Todd Howard Interview Divulges New Starfield Information | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageTodd Howard Interview Divulges New Starfield Information | MMORPG.com

In a video interview with Todd Howard, details were released about Starfield, Bethesda's new space-faring IP. The Interview is long and comprehensive, but it has provided quite a bit of information that was broken down on a recent reddit post.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited November 2020
    SiFi it is =-) Cant wait for more information. Doing timeline now

1:10 - first question about Todd Howards time at Bethesda and what got him into video games 

2:50 - Asks about his first published game he made, a Terminator game

4:30 - How did they make the jump to ES games?

6:50 - How did ES games evolve over time?

8:50 - Open world vs Procedural worlds

11:23 - What was the impact, how did it make you feel, making a game as ground breaking as Morrowind? Covers the rest of the ES games up too Skyrim. 

19:34 - Start talking about Fallout games

24:40 - How do you balance linear and  and more open story lines?

29:12 - Back to Skyrim, why was it Bethesda biggest hit?

36:30 - Fallout 76, what was the challenging of moving this series to multi player?

39:47 - How do you take a game with a failed launch to something people love?

44:50 - Dropped, Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield in the works. 

46:00 - Start talking about engine work happening and hardware. 

55:40 - BINGO, starts asking about Starfield.

51:08 - When will we start to hear more about the game? No plan, its gonna be a while. They dont want to show it till they have the final product and when it will release. 

They also dont want to slow down development to talk about the game, make trailers and other promotional stuff. 

54:25 - Back to things not Starfield

55:30 - Skyrim has been played for about 10 years now, how does that impact future games you are making like Starfield, Elders Scrolls 6?

58:26 - MS accusation of Bethesda - interesting comments by Todd 

1:00:00 - Talk about MS game pass

1:03:00 - What advice would you tell people wanting to start out developing games?

Post edited by Nanfoodle on
    SovrathScotTacticalZombehSamhaelxpsync
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    It's interesting that when asked what they could have done differently on earlier games with the new hardware, he mentions city/town size. Says that Solitude feels large but in reality there are something like 20 people there.

I bet they have this in mind with their new games. We might finally see larger population towns and cities.

I think they sort of have to go this route as Witcher 3 did a wonderful job showing larger town.city sizes.
    Nanfoodle
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Timestamp done, If you are looking for information on Starfield, this is all you get. Look below.

51:08 - When will we start to hear more about the game? No plan, its gonna be a while. They dont want to show it till they have the final product and when it will release. 

They also dont want to slow down development to talk about the game, make trailers and other promotional stuff. 
    Sovrath said:
    It's interesting that when asked what they could have done differently on earlier games with the new hardware, he mentions city/town size. Says that Solitude feels large but in reality there are something like 20 people there.

I bet they have this in mind with their new games. We might finally see larger population towns and cities.

I think they sort of have to go this route as Witcher 3 did a wonderful job showing larger town.city sizes.
    With better hardware this is something I am really looking forward to. I think of a planet like Coruscant. Or Spiderman in NY. Would love to see this done right. 
    Sovrath
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Aren't they still using the same, decades old engine?  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

As one of the question above was just about that. They have a new engine for Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 and for some of their other future games.

Go to 46.29

Also, correction in my earlier post, he references Whiterun with 20 people. I'm sure Solitude isn't much more though.
    Nanfoodle

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:

Go to 46.29

Also, correction in my earlier post, he references Whiterun with 20 people. I'm sure Solitude isn't much more though.

I am interested to see if Starfield will have large scale PvP and if the new Engine will support that? Thats been a mess for ESO.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    So sad  :(
    BruceYee
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Nanfoodle said:

Sovrath said:

Go to 46.29

I am interested to see if Starfield will have large scale PvP and if the new Engine will support that? Thats been a mess for ESO.
    Pretty sure it won't have large scale PvP

Nanfoodle

Nanfoodle said:

Sovrath said:

Go to 46.29

Isn't it single player?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited November 2020
    Nanfoodle said:

Sovrath said:

Go to 46.29

SINGLE PLAYER?!?!

SHAME SHAME SHAME!

edit- this has to be old info. Have things changed?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Sovrath said:

Go to 46.29

Isn't it single player?
    No idea, they have not given any information other then its SiFi =-)

bcbully said:

Nanfoodle said:

Sovrath said:

Go to 46.29

SINGLE PLAYER?!?!

SHAME SHAME SHAME!

edit- this has to be old info. Have things changed?

No nothing has changed.

https://screenrant.com/starfield-single-player-bethesda-game-size-todd-howard/
    Nanfoodle

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Summary from the reddit thread (credit to u/KATheHuman):

• Starfield is a singleplayer, no multiplayer aspects.

• A focus on procedural generation during level design confirmed for Starfield and TES:VI

• This is a tool for developers to create massive landmass and does not mean the land will be randomly generated in real time like No Man's Sky, meaning your game will look the exact same as everyone else. This is simply an engine tool to create larger worlds, so expect Starfield (planets?) to be much larger than Fallout 76's map (clarification: speculative), which is already four times bigger than Skyrim. YOUR ELDER SCROLLS/STARFIELD MAP WILL LOOK THE EXACT SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE, THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE MAP WILL BE RANDOMLY GENERATED.

• **Huge major overhaul to the Creation Engine - larger than the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion ("**when people see the results, hopefully they'd be as happy as we are.")

• Rendering

• Animation

• Artificial Intelligence & Pathing

• Procedural Generation

• And more areas.

• “It’s going to be a while” until we see Starfield, the release can be subject to delays etc. so he really doesn’t feel comfortable talking about it yet. EDIT: Todd said the same exact thing one year before the release of Fallout 4. 2021 gang! Thanks /u/fags343 for pointing that out.

• He doesn't want to reveal Starfield earlier and just release teasers until the eventual release like Cyberpunk.

• NPCs will play a large role in future games, cities will be expansive and large compared to past games, etc.

• Will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside ES:VI.

• Bethesda will continue to support mod support in the future.

• Amount of developers are at least 4x - 5x larger than they were when they worked on Skyrim and Fallout 4. Starfield is going to be big.

• Bethesda Games Studio Dallas, Maryland and Montreal are working on Starfield.

• Bethesda Games Austin is in charge of Fallout 76's post-development with the Brotherhood of Steel expansion update coming this December.

FoolOfATook39Sovrath[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Single player, I am surprised and see MS influence here. Todd is a confirmed convert to online microtransactions and dubious revenue models.
    Gdemami
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Scot said:
    Single player, I am surprised and see MS influence here. Todd is a confirmed convert to online microtransactions and dubious revenue models.
    I guess? But to be fair the game was in development and announced as single player prior to the microsoft acquisition.. by ... like.. a long time
    SovrathIselin[Deleted User]

Scot said:
    I guess? But to be fair the game was in development and announced as single player prior to the microsoft acquisition.. by ... like.. a long time
    Indeed, I think from what you have said he came back to make a GAAS and found they still have a single player game coming out.

How long before we also have Starfield 76? :)
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Scot said:

Scot said:

Indeed, I think from what you have said he came back to make a GAAS and found they still have a single player game coming out.

How long before we also have Starfield 76? :)

No. Please no Starfield 76.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:
    Day 1 GamePass? Sweet, then I'll be playing.

Jumped right out at me too. I've been wanting a good Netflix style gaming service for a long time and PC Game Pass is looking very good in that respect.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:

I'm hoping the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are 76 style. I'm a convert. The format works surprisingly well. I can play multiplayer and single player, my choice. Then again I'm not much into modding so that isn't a draw for me at all.
    Hopefully in time you will be able to escape Todd's cult. :)
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

Jumped right out at me too. I've been wanting a good Netflix style gaming service for a long time and PC Game Pass is looking very good in that respect.

The ability to install locally and not burn bandwidth is a huge plus to me. I have the basic version for PC. There is a premium version for XBox that I think offers some sort of streaming, but I haven't looked too far into it.

The install experience isn't as good as Steam, but not horrible. It works through the Windows Store. You can select the drive you want to install games to, but there are some UWP behaviors I don't like. Overall it could be a lot better, but is acceptable enough for me.

Give it a trial if you haven't yet and see how it works for you.
    I've had the basic PC game pass sub for 2 months now and yes it definitely works for me :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED