Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Coming November 23 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft: Shadowlands Coming November 23 | MMORPG.com

In a tweet today, Blizzard announced that the delayed World of Warcraft: Shadowlands finally has a new release date. Coming this November 23rd, Shadowlands will also host a pre-launch event on November 10th to set up the release later in the month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I'm still undecided.

For those who beta tested Shadowlands, how do you rate it in comparation with ......BfA? Is it on pare with Legion ( content-wise ) ?

Is the new system like the ..extravaganza Azerite Armor/Neckless in BfA? Or is it..much more ( in a good way? )

Thanks! :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited October 2020
    I wish they would wait for 2021 release for Shadowlands.
    Post edited by Tokken on

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2020
    Still too soon but hey, Activision (I know I said Activision only here) can't delay it any longer I guess....Perfect time to shut down an entire office that pretty much deals with your entire EU market....I guess they would've had to lay off even more people if it got delayed again otherwise their Q1 earnings would look too weak.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    ugh...tons of specs still have tons of issues (shamans were nerfed hard on last beta patch , and were mid-low tier lol)

TokkenrojoArcueid
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    It was either this or delay til 2021 because of Cyberpunk.
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I have not put in a ton of time on Beta, but what time I have put in it has been met with a lot of issues. It does not feel anywhere near to finished, but maybe they have a cleaned up version they are not testing?

I was really hoping for this to be a buy but I think I'm going to wait it out for a bit.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2020

IceAge said:

I'm still undecided.

For those who beta tested Shadowlands, how do you rate it in comparation with ......BfA? Is it on pare with Legion ( content-wise ) ?

Is the new system like the ..extravaganza Azerite Armor/Neckless in BfA? Or is it..much more ( in a good way? )

Thanks! :)

It is no where near the amount of content for BFA. The story is not Warcraft at all, it's something else entirely. BFA was a lot of things but at least it felt a little bit like Warcraft. Shadowlands is like a different universe, void of the story. But not surprising considering many many veterans of the story have left Blizzard over the last two years. It will have dungeons, raids, stupid mechanics like all expansions but the story is gone. MoP was new story, but it still felt like Warcraft, Shadowlands does not. This is the first expansion that has a brand new story team (besides one top level guy), and it shows. I'll say this: real world politics have no need to be integrated into any game world that isn't about them. Unfortunately they are pervasive in this expansion.

Yeah, its gonna be very very rough atm. The one thing I'm more concerned about is the 'balancing' of all of this. They just added a new rough covenant ability a few weeks ago(?) and with the order rework of the soulbinds, that's leaving some 'issues' as well. The maw (which you're going to be spending quite a bit of time is) is honestly not really touched and is pretty barren so.....its gonna be a rough time for this expansion, especially with the raid being scheduled at the start of december around-about.

Imo, this is gonna be like BfA all over again thanks to covenants. Some abilities are just all over the place and really can't be balanced unless they are nerfed into the group (which a lot have already been surprisingly) but they are probably going to re-jig the system or something hardcore in 9.1, because as it stands now, its gonna be too crazy by the next raid tier. I say that because a lot of things connected to the system itself (conduits, soublinds, even legendaries) are % based, so gear is going to impact performance massively as time goes on.

But I have said myself, that they should just put it out in an beta state because it is better than BfA in a lot of areas. I'll correct myself in believing delaying this will honestly help, because it really wont. The systems in Shadowlands are too convoluted to complex for the sake of being that way instead of actually them being 'good.' Usually, there are complex systems because you can create builds, but honestly that's not been the case with this system in alpha/beta. There's been 'interesting' things, but that's all they've been. But whatever, the leveling in SL has been 'fixed' and torghast honestly isn't bad, so most people will get a solid month of fun, especially since alt play is IMMENSELY easier this time around, compared to legion/bfa.

Aside: That was insanely hard to write given the increasing number of ads this site has littered everywhere.....
    IceAgeValdheim
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited October 2020

Phixion13 said:

I have not put in a ton of time on Beta, but what time I have put in it has been met with a lot of issues. It does not feel anywhere near to finished, but maybe they have a cleaned up version they are not testing?

I was really hoping for this to be a buy but I think I'm going to wait it out for a bit.

They fired their entire QA department. So any testing that has been done is by players in Beta lol.

Seeing what a buggy mess the pre-patch was, this whole expansion is going to be even worse than BFA was.

That's why I am happy I did not pre-order Shadowlands, saw what the pre-patch was and immediately canceled my sub.

ActiVision is literally on a destructive path killing off WoW. The closing of the offices in France. The mass layoffs that happened in the US a while ago.
    I don't think they have much interest in keeping WoW around much longer. The sub numbers must have dropped to a new Epic low thanks to the whole BfA expansion fiasco, for them not seeing any profit in the game any longer.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    JeroKane said:

Phixion13 said:

They fired their entire QA department. So any testing that has been done is by players in Beta lol.

Seeing what a buggy mess the pre-patch was, this whole expansion is going to be even worse than BFA was.

That's why I am happy I did not pre-order Shadowlands, saw what the pre-patch was and immediately canceled my sub.

ActiVision is literally on a destructive path killing off WoW. The closing of the offices in France. The mass layoffs that happened in the US a while ago.
    I don't think they have much interest in keeping WoW around much longer. The sub numbers must have dropped to a new Epic low thanks to the whole BfA expansion fiasco, for them not seeing any profit in the game any longer.
    Isn't WoW still making them a tonne of money?

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited October 2020

kitarad said:

JeroKane said:

Phixion13 said:

Isn't WoW still making them a tonne of money?

That doesn't mean is making THE same tone of money.

But yea, they will keep WoW around .. much longer. Of course they will milk as much as they can do.

Anyway, hearing @JeroKane about the pre-patch and what a mess it was, it reminds me about the first month of BfA, which is not a good sign at all. BfA was full of bugs and idiotic decision in the first 2 months ( at least ).

I'm still undecided. If the game-play, story, etc works, I can .."look-away" a bit if there will be bugs and such. If it's BfA ( at launch ), then I won't even touch it.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• rickenberickenbe Member UncommonPosts: 10

JeroKane said:

Phixion13 said:

JeroKane said:

Phixion13 said:

Perfect example of why you fact check people's claims. Completely false.

Sub numbers are strong and presales for the next expansion are higher than any expansion for the last decade.

Source: https://investor.activision.com/static-files/3ea261b4-e6cc-42de-bff1-28a4092dfa39
    JeroKane
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited October 2020
    OK just over 3 weeks, all i have left is to wrap up my warrior, cap my shaman, then i'll have all 12 classes capped. Pick 4 classes for shadow, and unlock the last 2 allied races. Then ready to go! That's plenty of time to do all that.

Rumor has it that this is the way wow will be from now on. After Shadow, when version 10 pre-patch hits, we'll all be squished back to 50 again, and expansion version 10 will be 50 to 60 again.

It makes sense but not sure how i feel about that overall? Like always 50 to 60... forever!
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    edited October 2020
    rickenbe said:

Sub numbers are strong and presales for the next expansion are higher than any expansion for the last decade.

Source: https://investor.activision.com/static-files/3ea261b4-e6cc-42de-bff1-28a4092dfa39
    LMAO!  Those Quarterly revenue numbers are a farcry from what they were years ago.
    If Blizzard was doing so great, all the veterans wouldn't have jumped ship the past couple years! All of them are gone!

Don't be fooled by those numbers as they don't paint the whole picture and is a gross income figure of all games under Blizzard's umbrella. Not just WoW.
    You have to look at their net operational income, which is the lowest under ActiVision umbrella. Both ActiVision and King are doing much better.
    That is why they are doing another mass layoffs round within Blizzard by closing the offices in France.

Of course people are anticipating Shadowlands, hoping it would be better than the disaster that was BfA. So pre-orders inflate that income number on the investor report. Doesn't say a single thing about actual subscriber numbers of WoW.
    When Shadowlands releases in 3 weeks and it ends up being another buggy disaster like BfA (which is a sure thing to happen according to beta reports), subscriber numbers will take a nose dive again after the first month.

Most anticipated expac of the last decade. Could be right, since the last popular expansion for WoW was Wrath of the Lich King, which released over 12 years ago back in 2008. That is when WoW was at it's peak with 10 million subs. Ever since then it has gone down hill.
    JeroKane said:
    rickenbe said:

LMAO!  Those Quarterly revenue numbers are a farcry from what they were years ago.
    If Blizzard was doing so great, all the veterans wouldn't have jumped ship the past couple years! All of them are gone!

I keep seeing this being pandered but please remember that "retiring a multi-billionaire" and "jumping ship" are much different. If I worked somewhere for 25+ years and had $2b+ in net worth, I'd probably spend time with my family as well.

edited October 2020
    Utinni said:

I keep seeing this being pandered but please remember that "retiring a multi-billionaire" and "jumping ship" are much different. If I worked somewhere for 25+ years and had $2b+ in net worth, I'd probably spend time with my family as well.

"Spending more time with family" is standard corporate speech for someone in Top Management jumping ship or "politely" being asked to leave the company.

I am sorry, but if Blizzard was still doing great like they were over a decade ago, these people aren't going to "voluntarily" leave a company that is filling their bank accounts with millions a month. ;)

Case in point. Almost all of them have started a new company and are back at it again full swing lol.

Yeah....they sure as hell are spending more time with family right now. ;)
    JeroKane said:
    Utinni said:

"Spending more time with family" is standard corporate speech for someone in Top Management jumping ship or "politely" being asked to leave the company.

I am sorry, but if Blizzard was still doing great like they were over a decade ago, these people aren't going to "voluntarily" leave a company that is filling their bank accounts with millions a month. ;)

Case in point. Almost all of them have started a new company and are back at it again full swing lol.

Yeah....they sure as hell are spending more time with family right now. ;)

Jumping ship implies you are joining another. Most of these people are retiring or dumping investments into things. You're missing the point. No sane person will say Blizzard is doing as well as they were a decade ago, but that doesn't mean retiring is any reasonable measurement of that.
  • rickenberickenbe Member UncommonPosts: 10

JeroKane said:

rickenbe said:

Don't be fooled by those numbers as they don't paint the whole picture and is a gross income figure of all games under Blizzard's umbrella. Not just WoW.
    You have to look at their net operational income, which is the lowest under ActiVision umbrella. Both ActiVision and King are doing much better.
    That is why they are doing another mass layoffs round within Blizzard by closing the offices in France.

Of course people are anticipating Shadowlands, hoping it would be better than the disaster that was BfA. So pre-orders inflate that income number on the investor report. Doesn't say a single thing about actual subscriber numbers of WoW.
    When Shadowlands releases in 3 weeks and it ends up being another buggy disaster like BfA (which is a sure thing to happen according to beta reports), subscriber numbers will take a nose dive again after the first month.

Most anticipated expac of the last decade. Could be right, since the last popular expansion for WoW was Wrath of the Lich King, which released over 12 years ago back in 2008. That is when WoW was at it's peak with 10 million subs. Ever since then it has gone down hill.

JeroKane said:

rickenbe said:

First of all, they aren't. Clearly stated. They are above the numbers for the entirety of a decade. Second, they were specific to World of Warcraft. They had both aggregate and game specific numbers.

Sorry, I will trust Earning Calls which are subject to public audits versus your opinion.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    rickenbe said:

JeroKane said:

rickenbe said:

JeroKane said:

rickenbe said:

First of all, they aren't. Clearly stated. They are above the numbers for the entirety of a decade. Second, they were specific to World of Warcraft. They had both aggregate and game specific numbers.

Sorry, I will trust Earning Calls which are subject to public audits versus your opinion.
    What you do not believe random internet guy with a hard on for attacking Blizzard?
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I am loving the prepatch. For me the game was unplayable in its former state, now it is fun to level again. It has been a long time since I have said that. There have been a couple of bugs but nothing bad. I have high hopes for SL, so we will see. As long as they make the dungeons and raids fun plus make crafting relevant again. I will be very happy.

On a side note I hate when I hear people always complaining about balance. You can't and shouldn't have perfect balance between classes and builds. That was problem they had years ago when they tried to balance everyone and all the classes felt the same. It was horrible. It is ok for some classes to feel stronger. I love Classic and some classes there are super under powered and it is still fun to play.