Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyberpunk Devs Receiving Death Over New Delay | MMORPG.com

Comments

• phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Wow Poland doesn't mess around!  RIP devs
    RexKushman
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    I really don't understand why people stil care about these things . Any public person recieves death threats nowadays. It's probably 0.0000001% of the fanbase of the game that would do something like that, and actually fulfilling a threat is another HUGE step. It's become so easy to threaten someone over social medias with an anonymous account. Reminds me of laws some countries are passing which allows the goverment to spy on its own people because of three people that died in a terror attack when at the same time more people die in the shower.

People care because the severity of the threatened action outweighs the small likelihood it will occur. Some terrorist attacks kill three, as you say. Some kill 3,000.

I was working for a TV/Internet company at the time, so had a television in view. I had already seen a bit on a TV on the way in so I knew to put on CNN when I arrived.

I only saw the aftermath of the first impact, but was watching live when the second plane struck. I saw both towers collapse as well. Between I saw the occasional grisly precipitation of human beings that had done the unthinkable to escape flames searing their flesh or smoke scorching their lungs, only to meet certain doom.

Personally, I'm happy governments are taking some steps to prevent or at least minimize terrorism. I've had quite enough already despite being far removed. I'd rather not again.

The probability of that happening was probably a good deal less than 0.0000001%, but I suspect it doesn't matter to those that lost loved ones that day nor would it to those surviving the developers slain if that should come to pass.

That huge steps may be rare doesn't mean they should be ignored. The potential cost of that ambivalence is simply too high.
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    They delayed due to something like it being a buggy mess on Xbox one and ps4, and not allowing dlc downloads.  I would think, given the sad state of the world, they'd get more volume of death threats if they launched like that.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:
    I question the validity of the statement but makes for good pr to further get your game noticed if not already noticed.

So what I figured happened if happened at all is some dude that works for CD got into some argument with some dude and ended up with a death threat or something close to such.I do not believe for one second some dude just straight up says I am going to kill you because I don't like the game being delayed,instead I feel CD twisted the truth a bit to make for some good PR.

So here is why I question this......
    If someone made a death threat towards YOU how would YOU react?Would you go to Reddit or Twitter an tell the world "I don't appreciate it?"
    IDK maybe you would I know social media would be the last thing that comes to mind IF<<
    But they are reporting them. This is a link to the original tweet I linked yesterday on the delay thread:

[Deleted User]RexKushman[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FoolOfATook39FoolOfATook39 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    edited October 2020
    Are we really surprised in the current climate in this country? People are losing their minds due to COVID and the election. Law and order are under heavy strain. Anyone making these threats should face legal punishment. Technically, we shouldn’t even be giving them any attention but news is news you can’t expect media to act responsibly. On the other side, there are likely tens of thousands of people who scheduled time off or just generally looking forward to this game being released and COVID shutdowns have only amplified their feelings towards it. I never buy new games on release so I’m not bothered but I can understand how disappointed they are by this third delay. The might be even more disappointed after release when they realize the game kinda sucks and will crumple under the weight of its own hype.
    Kyleran
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Now... see.. I would get really mean, and demand a refund.

But this is also why I don't buy games, till there is a game.
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Crazy times. Best to take it seriously. 
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:
    I question the validity of the statement but makes for good pr to further get your game noticed if not already noticed.

So what I figured happened if happened at all is some dude that works for CD got into some argument with some dude and ended up with a death threat or something close to such.I do not believe for one second some dude just straight up says I am going to kill you because I don't like the game being delayed,instead I feel CD twisted the truth a bit to make for some good PR.

If someone made a death threat towards YOU how would YOU react?Would you go to Reddit or Twitter an tell the world "I don't appreciate it?"
    IDK maybe you would I know social media would be the last thing that comes to mind IF<<
    But they are reporting them. This is a link to the original tweet I linked yesterday on the delay thread:

Am I reading this right? The game got delayed , again, and this dude is taking a vacation? Lmao

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,128
    I feel like the responsible thing to do at this point is completely dial back their advertising campaign completely and go dark with at least the advertising and the whole Nightwire stuff.

Let them focus on doing what they need to get the game ready and the Day 0 patches; communicate and keep an open dialogue with the community; but stop showing and teasing the game; especially when further delays are a complete and realistic possibility at this point.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

Am I reading this right? The game got delayed , again, and this dude is taking a vacation? Lmao
    No you're not reading it right.
    RexKushman[Deleted User]Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2020
    So....lets go down the psychotic rabbit hole of the people threatening them for a moment....their logic is, if they don't release the game, then people will essentially come after them and kill them......resulting in the game never releasing....? Makes perfect sense....It feels like people are getting less and less mature as this generation 'evolves' (or devolves). You got people crying over elves getting brown skin-tone and curse words in wow while people are QQ'ing in FFXIV about characters smoking....Like grow the fk up and let devs make a damn game. If you don't like it, don't support it or try and get a refund if you pre-ordered like a dumbass but DON'T assume people should be catering to you just because you want to pony up for the box price. All these soft-skinned people just agitate the crap out of me.
    Kyleran
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

I am sure a few of these trolls doing the threats will get a visit from the real police and then wonder, how and why, that happened.

Some people think they are anonymous all the time on the internet, when not many really are. Good for the dev's reporting it, if they are.  

On-line crimes usually come with the penalty of being banned from on-line, and computers as well. Less of these types is a good thing for all.

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I know it's been a stressful year and right now most countries are having a lot of other difficulties beyond covid but, seriously,  have things gotten bad enough to threaten to kill people for the delay of a GAME ???

People seriously need some mental health services.
    Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Iselin said:

This seems to me the wrong approach, we know this happens, we don't need them to prove it happened. No individual or organisation is being accused, no proof is needed. Instead the "fans" that sent those will feel vindication, even see it as a badge of honour that their tweets were retweeted.
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    REtitle for the TRUTH: "Grown Adults Salty Because Thet Spent More On An Actor Than Actually Creating a Game, Cry Because They Don't Get Sarcasm Or Their Fan Base or 1- Year Old Kids". Done. Who cares. What is going to happen? I'm_16_XXXX going to go over and kill them with corona? XD grow up people. We all say "I'll kill you" in game...we all know the goal is to kill in game. Grow up
    Kyleran
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:

This seems to me the wrong approach, we know this happens, we don't need them to prove it happened. No individual or organisation is being accused, no proof is needed. Instead the "fans" that sent those will feel vindication, even see it as a badge of honour that their tweets were retweeted.
    Well once you go down the road of making it public on twitter that you're receiving death threats you pretty well have to show some evidence because a lot of morons, like our own Wizardry here, will immediately claim that it's a lie and just a PR stunt.

Fucked up gamers don't come in just one variety. There are the ones who do death threats but there are a whole lot of other types of crazy fuckers spouting all kinds of bullshit especially on twitter.

In a way this just goes with the territory of being the most hyped and talked about game of 2020. When you invite the whole world to follow you and your game, you got to expect the batshit crazy will come too.
    ScotSovrathSandmanjwKyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Nanbino said:
    REtitle for the TRUTH: "Grown Adults Salty Because Thet Spent More On An Actor Than Actually Creating a Game, Cry Because They Don't Get Sarcasm Or Their Fan Base or 1- Year Old Kids". Done. Who cares. What is going to happen? I'm_16_XXXX going to go over and kill them with corona? XD grow up people. We all say "I'll kill you" in game...we all know the goal is to kill in game. Grow up
    Saying something in-game is completely different from going out of your way to contact someone just to tell them that you're going to kill them.
    KyleranMendel

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited October 2020
    I think part of the blame should fall on Star citizen on creating this misconception that fans are patient.

Star citizen is some kind of failed social experiment that represents only star citizen fans.

However, may be, for those that pre ordered, they could re lease a demo.

Of course now, with all this hostile language, we will probably not see any nice things, because it became political. And from the politics point of view, doing nice things when people are mean, looks bad.

Post edited by Incomparable on

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited October 2020
    Nanbino said:
    I think, based on that post, it's you that need to grow up. wow, just wow.

Is this really you? This is how you do it?

And to clarify ...

You don't know tha tthey spent more on an actor than making a game.

Maybe you do but I haven't seen that so I suspect you are just spouting nonsense.

A death threat isn't sarcasm. And just because you say something is sarcasm, even if "you" meant it as such, doesn't mean you can do sarcasm and do it well.

No, we don't all say I'm going to kill you in game as a threat. I suspect you might but that's you being 16. or 12.

So grow up. I should also add, I'm surprised you say this. I've watched yoru videos and you seem to take it all in stride and seemed pretty even keeled.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    This makes the gaming community in general look so bad. Just think about it for a moment.

This isn't just a developer. This is the developer that perhaps the most vocal segment of the hardcore gaming community has selected to be the paragon of all that is good and consumer-friendly. If that developer with that level of consumer goodwill can't delay a game by 3 weeks without getting death threats, that makes us look like shit.
    SovrathIselin
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Aeander said:
    This makes the gaming community in general look so bad. Just think about it for a moment.

This isn't just a developer. This is the developer that perhaps the most vocal segment of the hardcore gaming community has selected to be the paragon of all that is good and consumer-friendly. If that developer with that level of consumer goodwill can't delay a game by 3 weeks without getting death threats, that makes us look like shit.
    I think there is a segment of the gaming community that does make it look like crap and helps reinforce the stigma of dorks in their basements who have no social skills.

But it also puts things in perspective. If CDPR, who you say is touted by the gaming community as being one of the better developers FOR players, needs to delay things, change things, make hard, unpopular decisions, then players need to dial back their expectations. 

they've (once again) created something in their minds that just can't fulfill expectations. They do it with Video games and they are doing it with developers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    To be fair, this was not their first delay. It was one in a long line of delays.

They also made a huge fuss that there were not going to be anymore delays and that Nov 19 was a "set the date" moment for them.. it was going to be lunch.

To turn around, and then delay. Well.. they shot all their good will and support straight down the crapper, and that is purely on them, for doing that.

Just saying, after this death threat hysteria dies down, they will still not recoup that lost faith.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Kind of sums up 2020 and the state of our civilization. We need an alien invasion to sort us all out.
    KyleranIselinSovrath
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Taranx said:
    Kind of sums up 2020 and the state of our civilization. We need an alien invasion to sort us all out.
    Yes, the planet could use a good culling.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Taranx said:
    Not sure an alien invasion would do the trick. I think we need a full-on rapture.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED