Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOSide Chat - Have You Ever Been Burnt Out By A Single MMO, Or The Genre In General? | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMOSide Chat - Have You Ever Been Burnt Out By A Single MMO, Or The Genre In General? | MMORPG.com

Bradford takes a look at burn out in MMOs, asking the question: "Have you ever been burnt out by a single MMO, or the genre itself?"

Read the full story here

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Yup. I'm trying to work myself back to the old ways of experiencing a game for its story, completing it and moving on.
    I remember playing some games back in the day and thinking to myself "I could live here", but now I don't think I want that. If I'm being completely honest, the MMO genre doesn't even seem compelling to me anymore. I think I need the finite experiences of my youth
    Greatness[Deleted User]

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    I don't know if I really get "burnt out" on genres but I do tend to play the heck out of "good games" and then I'm ready for a new one.

I think mmorpgs are slightly different as I've never played one that encompassed most of what I thought they would be. Which was "a world."

I've played certain mmorpg's for years but eventually lost interest because the social part wasn't done well or I couldn't be competitive without giving up my life.

But I'm still "up" for any genre ... shooter, rpg, arpg, adventure etc.

As long as I find it a good game.

[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    I've burnt myself out on GW2 multiple times by setting too many simultaneous goals for myself.

Frequently, I'll burn out during or shortly after trying to get a legendary weapon.

But by far, the biggest mistake was raiding. Not because the content or the community was bad. The content was good and my raiding team was genuinely friendly. But having to log in every Friday at a set time made my game feel more like my job, and I started coming up with excuses to not attend. Nothing kills my desire to play quite like obligation.
    rojoArcueidNyghthowler
  • VagabondoVagabondo Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I think many of us have seen too many gaming days.

Problem is nothing is new for most of us and we can not get that surprise effect a newcomer has, on his first MMORPG.

Guess the problem, with most of us, is that we've pretty much seen it all.
  • thefpspowerthefpspower Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Yep, BDO burned me out a few years ago, it was really fun in the beggining, got in guild events, made new friends, but the grindiness got to me after a few months and I uninstalled and quit MMO's for more than 2 years.
    I'm currently trying to find my way back to MMO's because I like the genre, but it seems like most are abandoned. I would love to try the WoW community (I like big communities) but the subscription model is too expensive for me sadly.
    Areteo
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Generally in MMOs, the burnt out feeling comes when I realise I'm just logging in the game to do some dailies or something like that and log off. The fun factor has gone, and that's a sign it's time to leave and find a new game to play.
    WhiteLanternAreteo

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Burnt out on both mmos and the genre as a whole simply because the evolution is just turning into homogenization across all games. Every game has the same seasonal cosmetic treadmill regardless if its a moba/shooter/mmorpg/etc with the only difference being what each one has you doing to get whatever it is you want. This is a big problem with mmorpgs because the other sub-genres have the problem of being played in bursts (meaning most people will play hard for a few days then stop for a few days etc), so in the infinite wisdom of probably publishers, power must be connected to daily chores which you in turn used said power to acquire the cosmetics, where as other mmos have power self-contained in a match, usually not external sources.

The only saving grace in all of this is more games adpoting 'classic' servers to appeal to both types of mmorpg players, but I still can't be happy because FFXI isn't doing it yet with their flimsy excuse that they can't find the game's original 'blades' or w/e garbage.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I tend to usually play one game at a time, but once i stop playing for a few days, the addiction goes away. Then i play another game for ages and it repeats itself.
    Nyghthowler
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Lately I tend to quit mmos or take long breaks but it seems to be more of I get bored because I simply run out of progression content to do.

FFXIV is at that point now. I have my gear from the last major raid. The ultimate content is vanity only at this point... so pointless. All the new content last major patch drops subpar gear so was negated on day 1. Crafting and Gathering is for vanity purposes only in ffxiv so again pointless to do. So basically I log in a few hours a week to play with friends... but honestly I am not logging into the game to play the game. Will probably play more next major raid patch... then go back to 3-4hrs a week for 6months.......

Back in the day with mmos I would log in 40-50hrs a week for years strait without ever getting bored once. My playtime in FFXI was around 21,000hrs and honetly if it was not for abysea ruining that game I would of continued logging in just as much. Recently Archeage was sorta that way with me putting in easily 35-40hrs a week... loved that game ... only really quit that because the game was completely killed by an incompetent developer and publisher.

I guess I get bored and burnt out of linear themepark games. Vanity, achievements, mounts, minions, and titles mean absolutely nothing to me. And it seems like themeparks now days put almost all their effort in this garbage fluff content.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Aeander said:
    I've burnt myself out on GW2 multiple times by setting too many simultaneous goals for myself.

Frequently, I'll burn out during or shortly after trying to get a legendary weapon.

But by far, the biggest mistake was raiding. Not because the content or the community was bad. The content was good and my raiding team was genuinely friendly. But having to log in every Friday at a set time made my game feel more like my job, and I started coming up with excuses to not attend. Nothing kills my desire to play quite like obligation.

That's why I switched to FFXIV after years of playing GW2. Even running roulette with randoms, raids and dungeons are much more rewarding.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The thing I burned out on was the themepark quest system......Between WoW, EQ2, LoTRO, and a couple of others I just couldn't play an MMO where the main focus was questing.
    Amathe
  • Cute.Water.DogCute.Water.Dog Newbie CommonPosts: 14
    Not at all burnt out on the genre, might play the next EQ1 tlp's but I am definitely tired of Black Desert Online, I played since launch in siege guilds, quit for a year, came back in March, bored already... Going to AFK in it for awhile... I want PANTHEON or ASHES or NEW WORLD (WITH PVP), I think these 3 games will become my go to eventually...

The reason people think MMO's are "stale" and "dead" is because most of them, like BDO, are super p2w... And they kill themselves...

I think the better way of looking at it... Is the genre is alive and well... But greedy companies kill their own games with microtransactions... And Gacha BS.
    AreteoScot
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I have been burned out on mmorpgs for a few years now.

WoW really turned into a grindfest, which contributed.

But there are a few new yet to be released games I still ook forward to. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2020
    I don't think I get burnt out on a game I enjoy, it is more a case I hit some point in a game that does not sit well with me.
    I understand no game is perfect...obviously but sometimes I see design ideas that just leave me shaking my head.I get it,some ideas are sort of you like it or you don't but I am talking about game ideas that make no sense.

Sometimes I see such a bad game design direction that I sit there for a couple minutes deciding if I want to continue or delete the game.If I like the design ideas or at least many/most of them,then i am good I can play it for a very long time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    EVE... you work hard for years, plan, work, plan, work... Then they change the rules and turn it into p2w.
    Wurm online... You play, plan, enjoy, play, plan, enjoy, build... Then they sell the game to gold diggers who change the rules in just few months.

Yup, been there done that:)
    Kyleran

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    The only time I have ever been burnt out by a MMO was when I tried to play two at once. These days I imagine players can dip into a few MMOs each day, back then the "butterfly" players did not find MMOs so suited to their tastes.

I was putting in about five hours each evening just to do two to three hours in each MMO. On the weekends I spent the mornings on real life, the afternoons on my old MMO and the evenings on my new MMO. Easily racking up ten hours or more a day. This was unsustainable in the long term, but before things came to a head the new MMO just did not turn out as good as we had hoped for so we binned it. But a pretty hectic two or three months of gaming was had. :)
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited October 2020
    Burnt out on the entire genre as I haven't played a proper MMORPG since I left EVE almost four years ago.

Since then my time has been spent on several single player ARPGS/RPGs or pseudo MMOs such as POE and FO76.

But truth be told, if not for EVE/DAOC free shards I burned out on theme park MMORPGs back in 2006 after leaving vanilla WOW and haven't enjoyed any newer titles I tried for more than a month or three after that.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Odi101Odi101 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited October 2020
    I also tend to only play 1 game at a time, but I've been an exclusively mmo player for the past 15 years, except for a 10 month stint in Arma 3.......until a few months ago. I treated myself to a new PC for my birthday in July, and also personally decided to give mmos a break. I've played some awesome games the past few months that I never gave a look at when they originally released, such as The Witcher 3, which became my favorite game of all time, Sleeping Dogs, GTA V, and currently Divinity Original Sin 2.

I'm quite happy not playing mmos for the time being, just waiting for CP2077 (again), and eventually maybe Ashes of Creation for my return to mmos.
    Kyleran
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I burned out on MMOs YEARS ago. The last one I played seriously was BDO during release. The genre has become too stale and formulaic, if you've played one MMO, you've played them all. Unless a new MMO releases that completely revolutionizes the genre, I doubt I'll stick around to play it.