Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diminishing faith

124»

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Wizardry said:
    I lose faith when I see the writing on the wall.I can even relate to that in real life over the course of my life.

I actually started out as disliking games,I never wanted anything to do with them.I was more interested in the technology,the game engines,the code and what made games tick.

With pantheon and just like every other game that comes out,i get an instant feeling,a gut feeling,a hunch if the game will be something amazing.What I do is tie everything together,if the game looks low budget,there is no way it will be good.Then if I see in your face corner cutting again I am turned off.
    I also look for the creative side,does the game look like a heart felt passion was put into it or simply a copy cat game trying to cash in for $$$.

Brad is the ONLY reason I had even an inkling of faith because of something he said awhile back.Brad said that he was tired of ideas in games not making any sense and wanted to set out to make a game that made sense.This struck a chord so i became very interested.

Now a days,i lost "FAITH",lost interest.I think I share the same feeling as others when I say that to become invested in the longevity of a mmorpg again ,the game would have to be amazing.I do not want to join some mmorpg and get bored after 6 months and quit,last time i did that was with FFXIV.

You said you started out not liking games, so you must have come to a point you liked at least one game. Every thread I see you post in, its to say why you dislike the game or the direction of it. Just curious, what games do you like? Do you have any you love? Is there any game in development you are excited for?
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Its like i havent been gone for 2 years.  I come back and delete is still complaining incessantly.
    NanfoodleachesomaKyleranMrMelGibson

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Cute.Water.DogCute.Water.Dog Newbie CommonPosts: 14
    I believe in Pantheon, and believed in Brad's IDEAS, but I'm GLAD that he isn't leading the project and others are now, TBH. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Hrimnir said:
    Its like i havent been gone for 2 years.  I come back and delete is still complaining incessantly.
    FYI @delete5230 is in a battle he might not win and hasn't been seen much on the forums lately.

:# 
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    20% of it is 90% done.  90% of it is 20% done.  Yes the numbers do not add up.
    EQBallzz
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    centkin said:
    Even though technically this would equal the same amount of work completed.  I doubt either is right.

Most of these games dabble a lot in a bunch of things and don't complete anything, 90% is 20% done is probably closest.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Brainy said:
    centkin said:
    Even though technically this would equal the same amount of work completed.  I doubt either is right.

Most of these games dabble a lot in a bunch of things and don't complete anything, 90% is 20% done is probably closest.

The beautiful thing about MMORPGs, is that they are never done. For the developer or the players!
    NanfoodleAmatheHawkaya399
    --------------------------------------------
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    centkin said:
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Nanfoodle

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Err ... Brad wasnt leading the project in the first place. He had learned his lesson. The new company has a CEO and everything.

And I'm very highly annoyed he's gone. When Brad joined bad SOE and, after a while, worked a bit on Vanguard, the game got massively better in a short amount of time, with some of the best quests of the game introduced. Mr McQuaid was a truely talented game designer and that he's gone is a big loss in regards to the possible success of Pantheon.

Kyleran
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited December 2020
    It hurt to see him go. I've always felt a connection to him, maybe because Everquest was my first MMORPG or because i programmed at an early age, or maybe it was his heart showing through in lore and in interviews. But I feel as though his passing doesn't mean Pantheon is dead. I feel like Pantheon might be more of Brad's soul than it would be with him, merely because he lost his life and they want to dedicate it to him. And I think that alone is a reason I'd play it. For one last hurrah. And if everything goes well, it'll be a kickstarting point for the people creating it, helping them go forward. I hope it releases and I hope it has moderate success. If I'm around, I'll try it, I promise. And  btw my username here is Hawkaya399. When I logged in Everquest on March 21 1999, I created a ranger named Hawkaya on the Rallos Zek server.

Something that has come to my awareness lately is how much Everquest and other mmo's have HELPED me in life cope wiht problems I'm experiecing. This isn't always the case for some, if playing these games isn't balanced by responsible behavior. Gaming can be addictive and unhealthy on its own. It used to be I thought of games that way exclusively--negative and hurtful, a waste of life. It's even more harmful if the content is too extreme or giving the wrong lessons. But many times in my life when things are getting hard, I find that these mmorpgs help me to let go of things and bear the weight of my circumstances. Something similar happens if I turn to prayer. I give it all to god. In MMORPGs, I just let go of reality for a while. Sometimes things in life offer us a refuge away from tribulation, and it comes from unexpected places.

It's ok to be weak. We can't always shoulder it alone:

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    Can't tell if thread is about Brad or..

Mendel

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Uuuuuuuuuuuh ...

Well, I'm no musician - but from how musicians talk about Kurt Cobain, I get the impression that this guy was one of the most impressive musical talents of the last century. Kind of at the level of a Miles Davis or The Beatles or Led Zeppelin. Of course his early suicide cut his career very short.

Can you even reach such a level of creativity with game design ? It seems to me that you would have to be the equivalent of say an Astrid Lindgren to compete. I dont think any game designer gets any close to an Astrid Lindgren when it comes to storytelling ? The sheer instruments available to a game designer are just not compareable to what literature can do. I doubt a player would even appreciate it if a game designer would actually try to get creative in regards to creative use of language. And the necessity for mundane tasks like "make this room look realistic" is just far higher.

Gdemami
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    This game has had the longest production period of any MMORPG in history, and is still only in indefinite pre-alpha.

I will not be alive if this game is ever released.
    goldwheat
  • cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
    believe or not, this game will be vaporware... i know first hand.
    ........everyone has friends.
    Nanfoodle
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    cichy1012 said:
    Pics or it didn’t happen. 
    Nanfoodle[Deleted User]
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    achesoma said:
    cichy1012 said:
    Pics or it didn’t happen. 
    It maybe true but it wont be because he knows friends, who knows a friend that talked to a rabbit that sniffed a chicken that a dev had for dinner. Just not how it works =-D
    KumaponKyleran[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My faith ended long ago seeing sub par effort one after another.

Pantheon was NEVER a AAA game,it was always a crowd funded type game.
    Could it be done,could a low budget team make a AAA mmorpg,the answer is yes but not by this team and likely won't see it happen for a very long time.

Somewhere out there is a young teenager with big dreams to make the greatest mmorpg ever and you know what it will someday happen.

I can literally tell if someone has the right idea from just a few minutes listening to them talk.I don't just see a lot really bad idea in game design i see many that are like WTF moments.

A genre is only as good as its leader and right now that is Wow,so man is the genre in trouble.So long a sub par game rolls in the dough there is going to no incentive for the upcoming mmorpg's to do it any differently.Even the players know it,imagine if you took Wow but gave it a new name,a different Asian developer ,it would fall flat on it's face in a heartbeat.

With Pantheon i feel sad for the team in a way.I feel like the yare true gamers at heart who would love to have a AAA game but know they cannot pull it off.
    Make no mistake ,i wish pantheon the best,i know there is a LOT of hard work that goes into a mmorpg,a hell of a lot more than the crap i see out there making millions.

So imo the Pantheon team deserves a break,i hope they can keep working and keep improving,sadly i won't be supporting it.

Brainy

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Bless all you people wasting your money on someone’s decade-long pet project. 
    delete5230
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited February 2021
    Darksworm said:
    Pet project my butt !!
    Their making a good living from investors money. 

What's that old early 70's show where they used to say, sock-it-to-me ?
    Mendel
    Darksworm said:
    Pet project my butt !!

My guess is no one is getting rich off of Pantheon.

Now if we are talking about Star Citizen, entirely different ballgame.

;)
    MendelTheocritusGdemamiMrMelGibson

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Darksworm said:
    Pet project my butt !!

Sock-it-to-me came from Rowan And Martin's Laugh-In, a comedy show from Monday nights.  It had the distinction of having Richard Nixon on it, the first American sitting president to appear on a weekly entertainment show on television.  Laugh-In launched many careers from Ruth Buzzi to Lilly Tomlin to Goldie Hawn to Arte Johnson to Gary Owen, plus others.  It was ahead of its time.

delete5230Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Havent wasted a single eurocent yet. *shrug*
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    I see this thread started in 2020, as with all these projects the longer it goes on the more faith wilts away.
    Well ... PRotF was first announced Jan 2014 for a failed Kickstarter campaign. Probably very close to development start.

We have Jan 2021 ... seven years for a game project thats based on poor funding isnt too long, of course. Well funded ones take about five years, on average. And this is a MMORPG, so its rather more than less total content, compared to a singleplayer game.