Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon's producer, Ben Dean interviewed

Some highlights:

1.  Using their own networking library that interests outsiders.
  2.  VR has turned down potential partners due to incompatible views.
  3.  Content creators will be allowed to stream PA5.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
NanfoodleKumapon

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Little side note...

In a Pantheon Discord channel, Joppa just recently confirmed that Bards will be in for launch and he described them as not only a CC class, but "a pretty rad support overall".
    achesomaSovrathKyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    How does a MMO pay so many people working on it? Did Pantheon get a bunch of money we don't know about? Does Pantheon really need a producer and who knows how many other positions?
    Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Exactly how much radiation have bards been exposed to? :)  Isn't that like wanting to go to Mordor in LotR?  Nobody in their right mind willingly went to Mordor; it's a place of fear and dread.

Sovrath

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Exactly how much radiation have bards been exposed to? :)  Isn't that like wanting to go to Mordor in LotR?  Nobody in their right mind willingly went to Mordor; it's a place of fear and dread.

DMKano's Bard?

achesomaKyleran
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Nanfoodle said:
    Little side note...

In a Pantheon Discord channel, Joppa just recently confirmed that Bards will be in for launch and he described them as not only a CC class, but "a pretty rad support overall".
    Yeah I saw that too! Joppa has been vocal in the past about getting bard in before launch. He’s a former music teacher so it’s a passion for him. 
    Nanfoodle
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    remsleep said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Little side note...

That's pretty rad!

On a serious note Bard is all I want to play so... if this ever releases - I will be playing my rad bard
    Ya I miss playing a Bard in EQ1. Im wondering how the buff/support bar will work for a Bard. Being mostly support, I wonder if there is enough slots for the class? Also will that mean Bards will also not be weaving like in EQ1? Im also hope they have Lambert Armor, I loved the look =-) 

Amathe
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    remsleep said:
    Might even call my rad bard B-rad, or Brad... has a nice ring to it ,)

No call him Fansy in homage to a great bard.
    Amathe[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
    achesoma said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Little side note...

Yeah I saw that too! Joppa has been vocal in the past about getting bard in before launch. He’s a former music teacher so it’s a passion for him. 
    That covers why he has been pushing that. That also means as a music teacher, Bards may become an OP class. When devs love a class they always seem to get a little extra attention =-) 
    MendelKyleran
    edited October 2020
    Just watching the above video. When I talked about VR team being subtle in seeking backing. This is what I am talking about...

Requesting people that are just buying a pledge at Alpha level just to play the game. The producer asks that people dont pledge, unless you are looking to play a buggy copy of the game to help make the game better. Then pls pledge. 
    Post edited by Nanfoodle on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If I could point to the biggest flaw in the SOE/EQ mindset it was the CLASSS design and timers.
    I do not like the idea of a CC class,like not even small bit,I despise it.I am all for a class that  CAN sleep/mez and entire group or one offs but with a long timer.Instead of it being a regular occurrence I want that mechanic to be more like an emergency mechanic.

The idea of altaholics is another I despise as being outright dumb.It is like someone in real life tells you "oh your a Carpenter,well that's it you can't learn anything else".I don't even care if someone thought "oh this is how it was done before"idc if it is a dumb idea it should not be copied trough the years.

player to player combos?This again needs to be EARNED and not just an EASY mechanic.Think more like FFXI's TP system,something along those lines.

Timers:This has always bothered me with again a certain mindset that timers need to be real short which of course creates a button mashing game.I want abilities to be VERY meaningful and have much longer timers.So as an example I attain a bleed effect,I want that to last 30-60 secs or even the entire fight not 3-10secs.

The resulting effect of a player to player combo should again last the rest of that fight or maybe even 2 minutes and not be some 5-10 sec timer.These were just examples,not specific ideas.

Basically >>>EXPAND your mindset,expand on creative design instead of being stuck in that aged poorly thought out mindset.This is why i never wanted to see ANY mention of EQ1 successor,i want a NEW game,better ideas,better design.

Mendel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    If I could point to the biggest flaw in the SOE/EQ mindset it was the CLASSS design and timers.
    I do not like the idea of a CC class,like not even small bit,I despise it.I am all for a class that  CAN sleep/mez and entire group or one offs but with a long timer.Instead of it being a regular occurrence I want that mechanic to be more like an emergency mechanic.

The idea of altaholics is another I despise as being outright dumb.It is like someone in real life tells you "oh your a Carpenter,well that's it you can't learn anything else".I don't even care if someone thought "oh this is how it was done before"idc if it is a dumb idea it should not be copied trough the years.

player to player combos?This again needs to be EARNED and not just an EASY mechanic.Think more like FFXI's TP system,something along those lines.

Timers:This has always bothered me with again a certain mindset that timers need to be real short which of course creates a button mashing game.I want abilities to be VERY meaningful and have much longer timers.So as an example I attain a bleed effect,I want that to last 30-60 secs or even the entire fight not 3-10secs.

The resulting effect of a player to player combo should again last the rest of that fight or maybe even 2 minutes and not be some 5-10 sec timer.These were just examples,not specific ideas.

Basically >>>EXPAND your mindset,expand on creative design instead of being stuck in that aged poorly thought out mindset.This is why i never wanted to see ANY mention of EQ1 successor,i want a NEW game,better ideas,better design.

I played both a Enchanter and a Bard in EQ1. Keeping things mezed was not easy. It was a challenge and the longer you kept things mezed and re-mezed. The quicker diminishing returns would kick in. In short, mez something 3 times it will most likely start resisting and breaking mez quickly. Also, mez breaks so easy. So this also takes team corporation. Working with a mez class means you have to know your skills and what to use and not use. Its adds allot of dynamic to the game, thats just missing from too many games today. Mez is not putting the game on easy mode. 
    cheyane said:
    remsleep said:
    Might even call my rad bard B-rad, or Brad... has a nice ring to it ,)

No call him Fansy in homage to a great bard.
    Or call him Brad Bard to pay homage to Brad and break dyslexic people's brains.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This all sounds great. I would enjoy playing a bard.

But I am trying to reconcile the last Newsletter, which read like a swan song from a lack of funds, and this interview, which has VR turning investors away.

Mendel[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited October 2020
    VR stance on partnerships is they have truned away investors because they did not have the same goals and ideals. They do currently have have angel investors.

Post edited by Nanfoodle on
    achesomaxpsync
    Amathe said:

But I am trying to reconcile the last Newsletter, which read like a swan song from a lack of funds, and this interview, which has VR turning investors away.

The time stamp above helps with that. Its a 1-2 min listen. They cant be hurting that bad. Do they want more investors? Yes! but they are turning away relationships to keep product integrity, so they must not be worried about the lights. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Nanfoodle said:
    Amathe said:

The time stamp above helps with that. Its a 1-2 min listen. They cant be hurting that bad. Do they want more investors? Yes! but they are turning away relationships to keep product integrity, so they must not be worried about the lights. 
    Cant listen as I'm on a conference call, but Caspien always claimed to have lots of people/publishers interested in CoE... right up until he closed down.

Not saying it's the case here, but when it comes to cash, until it's in their pockets I'd be cautious about believing anything.

MendelNanfoodleGdemamiKyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Nanfoodle said:
    Amathe said:

Cant listen as I'm on a conference call, but Caspien always claimed to have lots of people/publishers interested in CoE... right up until he closed down.

Not saying it's the case here, but when it comes to cash, until it's in their pockets I'd be cautious about believing anything.

I tend to take people at their word till they are proven to be a liar. Pantheon has been very open about where they are in things, even when it looks bad for them. So far, I respect them on that level. 
    edited October 2020
    PvP not in at launch, something they working on for post launch. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2020
    @Nanfoodle

Your videos do not have time stamp, because MMORPG.com forums don't support that functionality.

If you want a time stamp you'll either need to do it as a link (instead of video on a post), or just write the time you want us to look for.

EDIT: Here are time-stamped versions. I was able to dig them up through quote -function:
      About funding: https://youtu.be/HVBK5HIcb-U?t=1775
      About PvP:  https://youtu.be/HVBK5HIcb-U?t=2237
    NanfoodleGdemami

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Nanfoodle said:
    Time Stamp: PvP not in at launch

IMHO they should focus 100% on PvE
    NanfoodleScotachesoma[Deleted User]GdemamiKyleranSovrathTheocritus

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited October 2020
    Vrika said:
    @Nanfoodle

Your videos do not have time stamp, because MMORPG.com forums don't support that functionality.

If you want a time stamp you'll either need to do it as a link (instead of video on a post), or just write the time you want us to look for.
    What a pain lol Edited my above post to to say what Ben said.
    49 min in, Ben talks about the game has what it needs to launch but it will take considerable time to finish. They want the game to be done quicker, is why they are looking for investors or publishers. 
    WellspringTwoTubes
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Nanfoodle said:
    Time Stamp: PvP not in at launch

IMHO they should focus 100% on PvE
    No one element is so important that it has to be there, enough for a solid MMO is "all" that's required. That includes us not needing the bard, just wanting one maybe. :)
    Nanfoodle
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Nanfoodle said:
    49 min in, Ben talks about the game has what it needs to launch but it will take considerable time to finish. They want the game to be done quicker, is why they are looking for investors or publishers. 
    Well I certainly hope this is not just a whole lot of optimism in evidence.
    Nanfoodle

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Nanfoodle said:
    achesoma said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Little side note...

That covers why he has been pushing that. That also means as a music teacher, Bards may become an OP class. When devs love a class they always seem to get a little extra attention =-) 

Or it might involve some actual music. Maybe linking short musical motifs that create different effects.

Nanfoodle
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo