Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dreamhaven...The new Blizzard

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Recent announcement all over the internet, but this guy explains it best.... short and sweet.

Asheram[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Welcome back sir, you were missed.
    KumaponScot[Deleted User]AlBQuirkySovrathxpsync
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Only thing I want to know is who is funding the studio.

If they start doing Kickstarters for their games then it is just another sucker fleecing operation.
    JeroKane[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyxpsync[Deleted User]Linif
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    BruceYee said:

If they start doing Kickstarters for their games then it is just another sucker fleecing operation.
    True, but remember - the guys running this studio made millions for an entire decade before leaving Blizzard..they have deep personal pockets
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited October 2020
    remsleep said:
    so why click on it then? You already knew the info so move on to what interests you policeman.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited October 2020
    Eldrach said:
    BruceYee said:

True, but remember - the guys running this studio made millions for an entire decade before leaving Blizzard..they have deep personal pockets
    That doesn't mean anything, as they not going to risk their own money and personally bankrupt themselves.

Why would they, if there are millions of suckers on this planet throwing money at kickstarter campains?

Chris Roberts is also a millionaire and you think he put all his own hard cash in Star Citizen?

No one does.... just a small fraction at most, just to get started. 
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkySovrath
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Sounds like there will be a lot of Hearthstone people in top positions.  Not sure how I feel about this new dev company.  I never felt like Blizzard innovated anything, more like just gave us very polished copycats of already existing games.  Guess we have to wait 6yrs to find out.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyiixviiiix
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    benty111 said:
    hello!
    Welcome to the forums!

I am still trying to work out if you are an adbot, but that's forum life these days. :)
    AlBQuirky
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    New Blizzard is whoever manages to make Blizzard quality games.

Whoever collects professionals and announces they've got grand plans qualifies only as yet another new crowdfunding studio.
    JeroKane[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    ah a ... remind me of hellgate London .
    AlBQuirky
  • TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting kind of worn out from all these developers trying to string me along with hopes and dreams. I'd much rather the devs go hide in a cave somewhere and come out when they have a game for me to actually play, not try to use me as a cheerleader while they whittle way for 10 years.
    xpsync[Deleted User]FoomerangiixviiiixAlBQuirkyLinif
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I find it interesting and I like that Activision is having key people bail on them.  But in the end what matters is the games and we know nothing about them.  I have very little hopes that they'll even make the kind of games I want to play, let alone make really great games in those genres.
    AlBQuirky
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited October 2020
    So tired of "I have a recognizable name, send me money." and then get nothing but demo's or screenshots.

I don't send them money, don't kick start, crowd, so tbh i never really gave it much thought, don't care, nothing riding on it, a game shows up and decent i'll buy.

With the length of time this has been going on is now truly the writing on the wall.

Normal out the door time for gargantuanly complex mmorpg's was 5 years, tops. Very little experience, difficult tools to work with, slow af hardware comparative.

Now veterans, powerful af hardware, amazing tools to work with, and we are homing in on a decade with not much to show for it?

SC, Pantheon, Unchained, the ones i thought would actually pull it off being industry icons, veterans, masters of their craft would pull it off.

After CoE tried to say "my bad couldn't do it, thanks for the 8million peace out all", everyone will forever pretend to be working on it.

They'll never be a conclusion, they'll never be an ending, which tbh bothers the f out of me becasue...

Forever we'll have to deal with the lies of "working on it", which leaves the rapid fanbois vs realists and all the while further innocent people being scammed everyday, with no ending... EVER!
    iixviiiixAlBQuirky
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Immediately from the video, the Dreamhouse name is associated with a new publishing firm, with 2 studios Moonshine Games and Secret Door.  I am a bit stymied by the fact that they are touting Secret Door as an "indie" developer.  My understanding is that an "indie developer" describes a development team without a predetermined publisher, so I'm a bit leery about this.  If an major industry professional can't use existing terminology accurately, why bother?

ScotAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Welcome back delete :-)
    AlBQuirky
    I have to say that if they can do anything good , they ready do it years agos and not now .
    They creative had gone with the success of WOW , and now left was money hunger .

AlBQuirky
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Recent announcement all over the internet, but this guy explains it best.... short and sweet.

I have a theory that I have shared here on this forum recently.  

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/486737/the-recent-q-a-pvp-interview-for-new-world-mmo-seem-to-confirm-my-theory/p1

"most Lead MMO developers DO NOT 
    Know or understand why certain things/features/design concepts either Succeed or Fail. "

I am curious to see the aftermath of project release of these Former Blizzard Developer.

This could either add credit to my theory or add to debunking it. 
    iixviiiix[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

That's why you see they add a lots of useless features then remove them and replace with other design later .
    Basically trial and error . And that require a lots of money .
    The problem with now aday developers is they don't play they own game before sell it to other to see how much mess they had created .

There used to consume a lots of time to testing the game before release . But since developer get richer , they don't respect players anymore .

AlBQuirkyGdemami
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    The only issue i find here is there isn't anything left for them to copy.
    iixviiiixAlBQuirky
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited October 2020
    Big name developers does not mean they know how to run a company or a studio. I find games that have a game visionary that sees the big picture of a vision that drives a team to a unified finish line. Bring out the best of what their staff can do. Thats where new games shine and are created.

I will wait and see something that proves they can do that before I really start to care. We have seen studios like this pop up and bring us games like Wildstar. Meh!  
    Gdemami
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited October 2020
    "most Lead MMO developers DO NOT 
    Know or understand why certain things/features/design concepts either Succeed or Fail. "

Most players don't understand this, either.

I know what I like in an RPG. This differs greatly from what I want in an MMORPG. Add in thousands of egos and players and shit goes downhill fast.

Look how many "I want something unique to find" posts you see. Can they even fathom the enormity of that one, small, tiny, little request? In old days, 15 servers holding 8 characters PER ACCOUNT. Now, not so bad with one mega-server and 4 characters standard. Then artists have to create this one unique item only used for one player. Then there needs to be a reason it is in the game. Then placed in the game world. Now, some players even want clues and a story or quests about that one, unique item.

I'd love to have deep, branching dialogues with NPCs in the game. Ain't gonna happen. The deeper the dialogue, the less control developers have over the story.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR