Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Languages to learn

A question for the gaming programmers/developers if any are viewing.  What languages does a person need to decide to learn if he wants to be a gaming programmer.  They always say more than one is better, so which languages do you suggest and any [books/websites/anything else] suggestions?

Also, I want to have some graphical design under me incase that isnt the job needed.  What programs(preferably free) can make it happen?  If the progs not free I would still like the name. 

Thanks

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

C/C+/C++/C#

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • TheSullivanTheSullivan Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    If you are a MacOS geek try Swift or Obj.C 
    Join our guild  here
  • TheSullivanTheSullivan Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    If you are a MacOS geek try Swift or Obj.C 
    For windows better try Python or JS, actually it depends of your goals.
    It's always more fun to be a Graphic Designer(Unity or UE4)
    Join our guild  here
  • marcusessmith84marcusessmith84 Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    Personally like to program using Javascript, but if you are interested in developing games then you can design or develop. What interests you more? 
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Why, C/C++, the portable assembler, for high performance gaming. You should also be great at math.

Highlevel languages like C# or Java are of course also possible, but would be for games with low hardware demands. At that point you could use really any programming language.

HTML is definitely not a language used for programming. Its a document language. It describes webpages - and nothing else. You have to use PHP (server side) or JavaScript (client side) to program webpages. So it would occur for browser games.

SQL is a database language. I mean this could for example be needed for MMOs for serverside storage of the game data. Other than that, I dont this SQL occurs a lot in gaming.

I would also have to point out that most of what games require is artwork, not programming. Typically an AAA game project will have 2-5 programmers, but hundreds of artists of various types. These artists, called game designers, might learn a script language like Python for level design, but what script language exactly is used really depends upon the project in question.

I dont have any tips for art creation programs. Its been a long time since I've looked into that (decades) and I dont remember that plus it would probably be outdated information anyway at this point. Suffice to say I quickly found out that this is anything but simple and you'll need a lot of skill to create great results.

• xerikixeriki Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Interesting topic. I am also looking for training courses so that after them I can go to college without any problems.
  • spectralaspectrala Member UncommonPosts: 95
    If you're interested in becoming a gaming programmer, it's a good idea to start with foundational languages like C++ and Java, as well as game-specific languages like UnrealScript and Lua. In addition to programming languages, you'll also want to become familiar with game engines and development tools like Unity and Unreal Engine. As for graphic design, there are many free and affordable programs available such as GIMP, Blender, and Inkscape, that can help you create 2D and 3D graphics for your games. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new tools - the most important thing is to have fun and keep learning!
This discussion has been closed.