Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NO DPS Meters, but 3rd party dps meters?

BCGiantBCGiant Member UncommonPosts: 2
Steven Sharif stated in 2017 that he will not allow any sort of Addons within Ashes of Creation, this includes dps meters. 

Over the past several years since he gave that statement, there have been several posts and topics across all the ashes related platforms, Forums, Reddit, and so on. 

Different camps always find a way to bring it back up, some want dps meters because their main goal is min maxing, the other camp does not want them because of the meta issue and the mindset that dps meters encourage. There are pros and cons to not having dps meters, but unless Intrepid Studio finds a way to prevent 3rd party addons like GW2 has, I am sure we will see them within Ashes. It is kinda hard to tell how not having dps meters will impact the game since most mmorpg had that race to server first going on where dps meters play an important role. 

I broke it down a little bit in a video: 

But the question that I know have is, what do you guys think? Most current mmorpgs have dps meters and I just don't see an mmorpg without them. 

Comments

• DevonDevon Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Well, an answer of innovation and necessity to that would be, randomized Ages, Levels, and strengths of weakness' even amongst "Orc Guard" mobs.  Including Elemental degrees of variance in resistances.

Then you really wouldnt be coming from a mindset of getting the same result on all mob types would you?

*shrug* Make for a lot of uncertainty.. suddenly the second wolf or sheep you aim at has a roll dodge?!.. or.. a "duck" and sprint hit?

I dont know, but.. Im sure they will tell you what is or isnt so and all will say...

"Can I haz?"
    No.
    "k"
    "It is often in living we hear the voices
    Come to haunt or in chorus rejoice us
    Be you clear on these, see them coyless
    These are the returns, of all your choices"

Quote "Oh, thunder only happens when it's raining Players only love you when they're playing Say women, they will come and they will go When the rain washes you clean, you'll know You'll know You will know Oh, oh, oh you'll know" -Fleetwood Mac, Dreams.

• DevonDevon Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I mean honestly.. they show video of it taking SEVERAL MINUTES to beat down a singular mob... by several if not MANY people, and its a bear, or, some npc in the woods. They dont exactly seem intent on making fights all that common. And if people dont generalize xyz=kill, they will go with "gear power x-y" will get you so many attacks =kill.

People are pretty good at generalizing.
    "It is often in living we hear the voices
    Come to haunt or in chorus rejoice us
    Be you clear on these, see them coyless
    These are the returns, of all your choices"

Quote "Oh, thunder only happens when it's raining Players only love you when they're playing Say women, they will come and they will go When the rain washes you clean, you'll know You'll know You will know Oh, oh, oh you'll know" -Fleetwood Mac, Dreams.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Personally I hate them. It makes people judge you and if you aren't perfect all the time you get booted.
    [Deleted User]cheyaneAmathe
  • BCGiantBCGiant Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Personally I hate them. It makes people judge you and if you aren't perfect all the time you get booted.
    I get that but how can u prefend people from not doing anything and doing their job

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    MMOs were more enjoyable before all of it. If you're using meters to determine if someone is helping the group you're focusing on the absolute wrong aspect of gaming.
    [Deleted User]TheocritusAmathe
  • TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    MMOs were more enjoyable before all of it. If you're using meters to determine if someone is helping the group you're focusing on the absolute wrong aspect of gaming.
    Sadly its the by product of the simplistic combat formula used in almost all MMOs today. When everything has a pool of health points, and victory is determined solely by how fast you can deplete it, then a players skill boils down to DPS.

Add on top of that loot grinds, and players inevitably want that grind to be a short of possible, making DPS even more relevant.

To get rid of DPS meters, MMOs need to get rid of health bars. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Damage meters have always reduced players to just a number. Their personality and value is calculated in a mercenary manner that never takes into account other abilities they add to the game. I am not interested in playing with MR.TopDPS, I want to play with someone who will stop and smell the roses and not rush through the dungeon to keep their score up.
    TheocritusAmathe[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    DPS meters lead to mandatory meta builds, playing to the meters instead of what's good for the group, and judging people by their meter rank. Hard pass. 
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests