Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About those achievements clocked on Steam

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
Never chased them but I do like seeing what I have done. 

The odd thing I noticed while playing some games is that players seldom even get to the halfway mark of a game. This I noticed on Atelier Sophie where doll making was done by 25% or cauldron being stolen was around 20%. These were important parts of the game so it made no sense to me that so few got there.

I look at Horizon Zero Dawn my current game and I went to get the Banuk Figure which is so damn cute by the way and only 25.8 % of the people that own the game have done that. I guess people didn't play the game for very long or they were not interested in the world as such. I love to explore so I go to every landmark and try everything out including the tutorial stuff. Then I find only 50% overrode the core which is a vital part of the story. This leads me to believe many people stopped playing the game early or they just didn't find the game interesting enough to explore.

The main reason I wanted to play Horizon Zero Dawn was because I love games that allow you to wander a huge world and discover things. I fell to my death several times trying to get to a vantage but damn it all it was so exhilarating when I managed it. I whooped when I got the first one. I am still very much enamoured  by the game so far, so I am still in full discovery and adore mode. I guess that will wan in time but doing the first few things that new player of the game would have been done too was my understanding and I see I was wrong. 

By no means am I saying these are important things to do, I merely cannot fathom why people would waste a beautiful world like this and not explore it fully. It's a shame.
Chamber of Chains
Scot

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    I have noticed this is the games I played, this has been an issue since gaming started, but I think it is far more common now. When players ask if they can play an RPG without knowing anything about what happened in previous games in that series, you know players like that will not finish the game.

It is a huge shame, and makes designers feel their work is for nothing, but we played it right through, so they have that.
    cheyane
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I mostly ignore steam achievements as they're pretty meaningless. It's not like there is any benefit to achieving them.

However

In games I really enjoy, but am perhaps getting a little bored of, I use the achievements as inspiration for trying something new. One of the best games for that was XCOM 2, had lots of fun little achievements like "complete a level with all rookies", or "complete a level with an all female squad". These were things that I hadn't really thought of doing before, I had always just aimed for the best possible squad, regardless of gender, so these achievements gave me something new to aim for. I still couldn't care about the achievements themselves, only the inspiration they gave.
    cheyane
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    @op I think perhaps you are confusing a few things.I feel you are assuming they finished the game but left out some important achievements.

What I believe you are seeing is just how many games in general are never finished.This is because soooooo many people just buy games on a whim or because on sale.
    A number of years ago,maybe was 4-5 there was a Steam number posted by Valve that stated around I think was 27-30% of game purchases were never even played at all.

Then you have a number of people who really don't care or even look at the achievement icons.I actually don't like playing ANY game as a completionist,i prefer games to be designed way differently,more like an open ended design with no definitive linear paths.
    cheyane

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I've always wanted to devote a solid few months to try to get as many as I can just to see how many I can get but then forget about it completely.

I don't like the achievs that are about doing x thing in x part of x game mode at x difficulty cause I'm old + my reflexes suk and trying just pisses me off. I prefer the crafting ones or non-reflex related ones even if they take a while.
    [Deleted User]cheyane
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    It is true I too have a lot of games I have bought and haven't played so it shouldn't surprise me that people don't complete the games they buy or even get beyond an hour in a game.

All the achievements I manage are just part of the game I don't actually try to complete any by actively trying. I just play and the ones I get come naturally while playing which is why I was a little surprised how early people dumped the game.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    cheyane said:
    It is true I too have a lot of games I have bought and haven't played so it shouldn't surprise me that people don't complete the games they buy or even get beyond an hour in a game.

All the achievements I manage are just part of the game I don't actually try to complete any by actively trying. I just play and the ones I get come naturally while playing which is why I was a little surprised how early people dumped the game.
    Same here, I don't play to get an achievement, they just pop up, if I check how many have got it that's when I find it hard to credit. Many to most players seem to play games as a speed run, I know it is a cliché but the journey is more important than the ending. 
    cheyane
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:

Same here, I don't play to get an achievement, they just pop up, if I check how many have got it that's when I find it hard to credit. Many to most players seem to play games as a speed run, I know it is a cliché but the journey is more important than the ending. 
    Much of the dissatisfaction comes from rushing to reach the end but people enjoy things differently. To some having played more games to the end is more important than exploring the world. To others exploring is more rewarding. Skyrim would not have been so popular if there weren't people continuing to mod and play it for years.

I just feel it is such an utter waste to rush but that is my own preference and one I should not foist on others. However I can admit rather sheepishly I have been known to quit a game just before in ends because I got tired of it  having taken far too long to reach the end with my meandering.
    Scot[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2020
    cheyane said:

The odd thing I noticed while playing some games is that players seldom even get to the halfway mark of a game. This I noticed on Atelier Sophie where doll making was done by 25% or cauldron being stolen was around 20%. These were important parts of the game so it made no sense to me that so few got there.

I look at Horizon Zero Dawn my current game and I went to get the Banuk Figure which is so damn cute by the way and only 25.8 % of the people that own the game have done that. I guess people didn't play the game for very long or they were not interested in the world as such. I love to explore so I go to every landmark and try everything out including the tutorial stuff. Then I find only 50% overrode the core which is a vital part of the story. This leads me to believe many people stopped playing the game early or they just didn't find the game interesting enough to explore.

The main reason I wanted to play Horizon Zero Dawn was because I love games that allow you to wander a huge world and discover things. I fell to my death several times trying to get to a vantage but damn it all it was so exhilarating when I managed it. I whooped when I got the first one. I am still very much enamoured  by the game so far, so I am still in full discovery and adore mode. I guess that will wan in time but doing the first few things that new player of the game would have been done too was my understanding and I see I was wrong. 

By no means am I saying these are important things to do, I merely cannot fathom why people would waste a beautiful world like this and not explore it fully. It's a shame.

The problem with Horizon and what you are seeing is , it is marred with bugs and crashes for alot of people , so they refunded or shelved for  a later date ..So of course the achievements would reflect activity ...Simple as that
    cheyane
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

The problem with Horizon and what you are seeing is , it is marred with bugs and crashes for alot of people , so they refunded or shelved for  a later date ..So of course the achievements would reflect activity ...Simple as that
    Touch wood haven't had any such experiences with the game so far.
    Chamber of Chains
    Here is the PS4 stats on the achievements. 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5879-horizon-zero-dawn

The one with all ancient vessels found. On PS4 it is 15.6 on rare. The first figure is an internal percentage by default but the 15.6 is the actual global PSN value and it displays the actual percentage of players who got it. On steam I got it a couple of days back, it was 9.7 so I think the reason is not solely the bugs because right now they have fixed the game on the PC. 

Thankfully haven't come across a single bug so far. I am really of the opinion people don't really explore a game. I am not talking just getting an achievement for the sake of getting it but to truly explore every nook and cranny of a game.

The ancient vessel isn't even that hard to get to, the metal flowers are even more spread out and numerous I only have one more metal flower  to get.I finished all the other parts like Vantage and the Banuk figurines.

Like I said and I want to emphasize this it is not about the achievement itself but a reflection of how much of the area of the map people explore and wander around. It is criminal that in a game this beautiful people aren't inclined to explore and go off the beaten path more often.
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains