Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New MMO IP by ZeniMax, new engine as well

2»

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Iselin said:
    This thing has been in the works for about 4 years.
    If this is the one they been working on for 4 years then it must be the rumored Game of Thrones MMO.

[Deleted User]MendelAlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:
    If this is the one they been working on for 4 years then it must be the rumored Game of Thrones MMO.

That definitely has been one of the rumors and Zenimax Media is big enough to go after a pricey IP. It would be nice but it's just a rumor.
    [Deleted User]NanfoodleAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Hoping it's an mmorpg proper. I think we're overdue.
    NanfoodleachesomaAlBQuirky
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Iselin said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

That definitely has been one of the rumors and Zenimax Media is big enough to go after a pricey IP. It would be nice but it's just a rumor.
    I’d build a new computer and disappear for 2-4 years.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]NanfoodleIselinxpsyncMendelAsheramAlBQuirky
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Iselin said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

Has GRRMartin ever opined that he liked Skyrim?  That'd certainly grease the wheels....
    AlBQuirky

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited October 2020
    Iselin said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

Has GRRMartin ever opined that he liked Skyrim?  That'd certainly grease the wheels....
    Not that I know but Bethesda did actually turn down a GOT game many year ago and decided to make Skyrim instead. This was long before the TV series:

“We wanted to do our own world. That’s where we wanted to put out time into. Before we were even making Skyrim, there was a conversation with George R.R. Martin’s people. They thought it would be a good match—and so did we, actually—but then we thought about if that was where we wanted to spend our time. It was tempting, though.”

https://www.vg247.com/2011/09/15/bethesda-why-we-turned-down-a-game-of-thrones/

ArglebargleAlBQuirkybcbully
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

I would be afraid to play it though as the endgame would probably be ruined ;)
    AlBQuirky
    edited October 2020
    Asheram said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

Hard to say since Martin hasn't even gotten around to writing it. It'd be nice if in his version Daenerys doesn't go totally batshit crazy :) 
    NyghthowlerkitaradAlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Iselin said:
    Asheram said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

Hard to say since Martin hasn't even gotten around to writing it. It'd be nice if in his version Daenerys doesn't go totally batshit crazy :) 

I think she does.  I think he gave the showrunners the beat by beat account on what was going to happen.

It makes sense that she goes nuts.

The problem is "how" she goes nuts and that is where the show faltered.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    kitarad said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    I do wonder if its a IP from the parent company single player games or a unique IP? Maybe they are buying one? 

No matter which, I'm betting a game that Microsoft has any involvement in will have Gates all over it.  Gated content = pay walls.  And I thought Paradox's DLC system was far too expensive.

From a product like windows it is good to have gates too...sorry could not resist.

Would we get a "bill" for those "gates?" :lol:
    NanfoodlekitaradBrainy[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2020
    I don't believe 4 years at all,this sounds more like they just got started but was maybe a rumor 4 years ago lol.

So digging a bit I see that this was mentioned in 2018 and that Microsoft had been trying to buy Zenimax since then.

So is there a chance this was the deal breaker that Microsoft wanted to cash in on?

I never watched a single episode of GOT,i seriously despise TV now a days,it is so full of trash.
    I have to see what seems like half the games all doing the "seasons"thing,so yeah people been watching too much TV.

I do NOT want to see a GOT game at all,i don't want to see ANY known IP because that is an auto formula for a rushed half assed game.

WHY?Simple,these studios see a known popular IP as an EASY sell,people don't even need to see a trailer and they are already buying it,which is sad.However a new game with no sales pitch to back it up has to stand on it's own two feet and sell on merit,well that and the expected usual marketing campaign.

Sadly this all smells of a known IP which won't interest me at all.I want FRESH like their game engine, a new IP and some real effort put into it.I don't even want to speculate on the game because that would mean it's a known IP ...sigh.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    OK...haha I dug deeper...
    They say it is a NEW IP...thank god.
    Zeni only started to take applications and only started the new engine in middle of 2019,so this game is imo barely a year old.
    They claim AAA,who's AAA that is mine or the typical whales idk but we shouldn't see ANYTHING concrete on this for another 2-3 years.
    A really good mmorpg needs even with a large team at least 5 years so if they began to get serious AFTER hiring people at best the end of 2019,we shouldn't see a game until at least 2024.

AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Asheram said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

I think she does.  I think he gave the showrunners the beat by beat account on what was going to happen.

I agree that GOTs dash to the finish line messed up a lot of stuff and Daenery's rapid decline was one of those. But I don't know about making sense. Jon Snow was just as Targaryen as she and he escaped the hereditary madness because reasons.

It was an easy ending and there could have been a more complex one even if they still wanted to end with a "life sucks and then you die" theme. 

AlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited October 2020
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Asheram said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

I agree that GOTs dash to the finish line messed up a lot of stuff and Daenery's rapid decline was one of those. But I don't know about making sense. Jon Snow was just as Targaryen as she and he escaped the hereditary madness because reasons.

It was an easy ending and there could have been a more complex one even if they still wanted to end with a "life sucks and then you die" theme. 

The writers were chasing the contract to write the next Star Wars Trilogy.  They were basically locked in for the job until GOT season 8 aired and it got such backlash... Disney parted ways.  Karma served them up like their poorly written Dragon Queen.

However, Netflix apparently always has cash to throw at famous writers.

I doubt Martin will ever finish his books, but if he does... they could be vastly different.  Nobody is going to hold GOT season 8 as cannon (in fact many want a full redact).
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Asheram said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

Such a brilliant series and that last season was bleah.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Always good to here about a new IP in the offing, maybe a Microsoft one?
    AlBQuirky
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wizardry said:
    OK...haha I dug deeper...
    They say it is a NEW IP...thank god.
    Zeni only started to take applications and only started the new engine in middle of 2019,so this game is imo barely a year old.
    They claim AAA,who's AAA that is mine or the typical whales idk but we shouldn't see ANYTHING concrete on this for another 2-3 years.
    A really good mmorpg needs even with a large team at least 5 years so if they began to get serious AFTER hiring people at best the end of 2019,we shouldn't see a game until at least 2024.

If you ever loved fantasy games, moves, or books. You missed a great one bud.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CrystallineNMCrystallineNM Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Can't wait to see how ZoS screws the pooch this time.
    AlBQuirky
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The issue with television series beyond season 5 is that they become institutions rather than a journey. The characters get locked, the actors get too caught up in portraying their character's in a positive light, and the fan base limits the potential options.
    AlBQuirky
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I'll check back in 8 years when it sunsets prior to launch.
    AlBQuirky